Modified ST hassles

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Moderator Team

ralcool
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Re: Modified ST hassles

Post by ralcool »

http://www.hobby-electronique.com/index ... &Itemid=27

It appears the french website for the diagnostic cartridge is STILL available.. At a slightly new address.

Links at the bottom for st/ste/tt/ mega rom images and a cct board design to etch/build.

I noticed a post from 2004 from Popsel for a version of a cart- did this ever happen?
4160STFM, (Blitter, 4Mb RAM 72pin, 16Mhz OC, IDE, HD FDD, Quad TOS, LaScan, DS1216E Clock, AT-Speed C16, Tom Kirk PS2 mouse, MegaST Keyboard)
What Intel giveth, Microsoft taketh away
Beer is proof that God loves us, and wants us to be happy
Don't let post count or join date fool you as to who is a newbie, and who knows what's what
Shredder11
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by Shredder11 »

I have a Atari Diagnostic kit, mainboard with cables plus the cartridge for the ST. I have taken photos of everything for reference purposes and a few minutes ago, I zipped them up on Rapidshare for anyone who is interested. You will find that two or three photos are from someone elses kit from the internet, but the larger better quality photos are from my kit.

http://rapidshare.com/files/371594867/A ... tridge.zip
ralcool
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by ralcool »

Good job Shredder11!

So, Out of interest (boredom) - I decided to burn the ST v4.4 diag roms, and install them into the SuperMon cartridge PCB.

The first set of roms mysteriously didn't work- error E9 Cannot fetch instruction... The second reburn did. I thought the Dallas clock chip in the cart was interferring. But no.

Quite interesting overall. It doesn't like my memory tho. Maybe I will install a 4Mb x 72pin simm yet. Yet memtest-German is generally happy.

Since we all love pictures... here's one;

ok two..... :)

From the diagnostics, my replacement FDD is crap 'Read compare errors', and the memory is still faulty. (Now which bank!)
Last edited by ralcool on Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
4160STFM, (Blitter, 4Mb RAM 72pin, 16Mhz OC, IDE, HD FDD, Quad TOS, LaScan, DS1216E Clock, AT-Speed C16, Tom Kirk PS2 mouse, MegaST Keyboard)
Don't let post count or join date fool you as to who is a newbie, and who knows what's what
ralcool
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by ralcool »

Bank 0 again. The shifter mounted ram.

Learned by compared faulty addresses with link provided by ppera http://www.embeddedlinks.com/chipdir/oth/atari.txt,[b] from [/b]http://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=74&t=13939

'Quote'
Ramadresse 512KB 1MB 2MB 4MB
000000-7ffff bank 0 bank 0 bank 0 bank 0
800000-fffff bank 1 bank 0 bank 0
100000-1fffff bank 0 bank 0
200000-3fffff bank 1

Another night of resoldering or remove. sigh. And another this time NEW fdd.
ralcool
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by ralcool »

Well, A long night. Can't be bothered today to repair the ram, So I modified the IDE IF pcb overlay/mask with a few beers.

Kym sent me the original pdf for the Popsel IDE IF. I found the popsel flashable TOS page and pdf too. (Also lacking information to link them together)

And the circuit has some changes not really mentioned compared to pperas original design on his site. (Unless you look closely at the STE IF diagram...)

IORDY is no longer used, A delay was inserted between the GAL and IDE socket IORD. Gal/Jedec code code slightly changed to support this..... Code added for 1.x and 2.xx flash & read. Reset lines altered.

So I incorperated these changes into my ROM mounted board. I have allowed for TWO TOS choices (hi/lo to A18) and programming support (WE/OE control). And removed the AVR controller.

So TOSMIDE2.GAL/JeD should work correctly.

I've added some jumpers to disable (pull high) WE for write protect, OE to Gnd or WR, and A18 hi/lo for chip bank select. (My A17 is set to Permanant 5v)

I still have to buy extra 29F040 chips to replace my 010s, but I can use either with this setup, and only lose bank switch.

Slightly busy looking pcb, but is single sided, and will fit my motherboard- between the Psu/At-Speed and keyboard. I need bank switch to keep TOS 1.4 for some compatibility. Will be IDE Twist patched.
The PCB is hand routed...... All red lines are topside links or if small 'jumpers'. ROM pins 1,2,22,24,31,32- won't / can't enter the ST sockets. They will be clipped underneath and insulated.

If I could read the T_Board64 Gal 16v8, I might learn how to keep software switchable TOS option. Clever ACC or Auto loaded PRG that engages TOS 2.06 hardware ROMS and reboots. (And still has hardware switch option!)

School holidays finish soon- I shall visit the teachers and beg for some Projector clear plastic/paper for pcb mask. (I live in SMALL town and no office supply stores...)

Cheers!
ralcool
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by ralcool »

MIGHT have found WHAT has damaged the shifter mounted RAM.

There was never a 33ohm resister fitted to A9. I always thought the installer put one under the motherboard from the MMU. And I never noticed or looked. My Bad.

Amazing it worked so well for so long. After putting a resister in- I still get failures under 2MB (So bank 0- shifter RAM) But only with ST Diagnostics. Memtest-german still usually reports ok.
So the ram is intemittant faulty. And maybe having another bank of memory using A9 has stressed it further. Swapped to the spare MMU has no difference.

But (seltos loaded) patched TOS 1.4 works nicely now! So far. And my large ram disks (1.4-2Mb) never play up. Go figure. Everything runs ok.

Hmmm. What to do now. Make a 72pin shifter mounted simm socket/pcb.... just need a socket. Didn't keep my old 486 motherboard......damn it.

Sean
ralcool
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by ralcool »

Anyone know where to find Magic Sac- Mac emulator software ... I got a hold of some Mac512k roms, and I think they could work if plugged into the cart pcb. (being 64k)

I can't BUY a magic sac or spectre cart & software, and am just curious to try.... System 4 should work on 512k roms....

Can't find any links to it... but it is OLD... I sure dave small wouldn't mind someone playing around.
ralcool
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by ralcool »

I've noticed- If I run GDOS 1.1, (or NVDI) on top of normal TOS 2.06 UK- with NO clock cartridge fitted. The default system date is 00-00-2028 (not ROM mfg date)
It doesn't happen on 1.4.

It also happens if I load SuperTOS 2.06. (This time without GDOS loaded!) Maybe the Germans fixed it too..... or noticed GDOS did....?

I know we have some Y2K solutions- but its not THIS easy is it?

I noticed while running Sysinfo hwam v8.23 on normal 2.06 with a boot disk containing GDOS. And have been testing other boot configs since.

Creating a folder results in a 00-00-28 date- so it must be true.

More testing with clock refitted again soon......
Shredder11
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by Shredder11 »

Hey that is very interesting regarding the clock time. I have a Forget-Me-Clock II in my main STE 2.06 UK but the fewer cartridges the better of course, otherwise I will need a desk that is 20ft wide! :lol:
ralcool
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by ralcool »

More testing has shown. SuperTOS2.06 will display 2028 IF;

1. Loaded via RAMTOS7 in the autofolder. After normal relocation and reboot. (NO GDOS required!)

2. If loaded via SelTOS, after its reboot it will be 1991 normal date. (If during this reboot you load GDOS, it will be 2028 again.)

Very strange. I normally use RAMTOS7 when I choose to use SuperTOS, so I decided to check SelTOS for fun.

Final Test was loading normal 2.06 via an IMG & RAMTOS. AGAIN 2028! So its NOT just SuperTOS.

Results;
RAMTOS is causing the 2028 display in Sysinfo when loading a 2.06 TOS IMG. Now why is that! (regardless if SuperTOS or not, and NO GDOS required)

Or loading GDOS during during a SELTOS or Hardware booted 2.06 (Eg booting my T_Board into 2.06 and loading GDOS displays 2028)

Your turn. Try a GDOS/NVDI boot disk on a 2.06 equipped machine without a clock- and create a folder, or run sysinfo (Or similar) (NVDI uses GDOS and gets the same result)
ralcool
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by ralcool »

I love how on fleabay...$A50 buys bags of sockets/resisters/caps/74ls chips. all sizes and shapes... I need to restock my electronics supply.. Now SOOOo cheap.
2x 16V8 GALs 5euros!

IDE IF looking to be built soon. yay. 2.5"/3.5' converter ready,IDE-CF adapter ready . Cables. HDDs, CFs, All Variations for testing. Ready. Can't wait!

Even fashioned an adapter plate to mount a 2.5" HDD under the floppy. Heaps of room.
Shredder11
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by Shredder11 »

ralcool wrote:Ready. Can't wait!
Your excitement is tangible! :cheers:
Shredder11
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by Shredder11 »

ralcool wrote:I love how on fleabay...$A50 buys bags of sockets/resisters/caps/74ls chips. all sizes and shapes... I need to restock my electronics supply.. Now SOOOo cheap.
2x 16V8 GALs 5euros!
Sounds good, where did you buy those from on Ebay? I'm a rank beginner when it comes to soldering and projects but I am slowly getting stuff together to do all of this.
ralcool
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by ralcool »

Um everywhere. I've got parts coming from Thailand, Netherlands, HongKong. I search for things like... 'Resisters LOT'. '74LS'... etc And get 'Grab bags' of stuff.
Most things are cheaper in bulk. I've been using parts from my 'supplies' for years. and still have parts/crap everywhere. Just now a little low on specific items.

For example. My board of ICs.. But missing 74Ls03s for the IDE project.....

You asked (via PM) about soldering irons...say... Well, I use several.

Most people would say for beginners find a 15-25w iron... Ok sure. Not as hot as a large 60w iron. And good for most basic electronics.

My trouble is, I feel the smaller irons tend to take longer to heat solder/joints than a larger one. Thus tending to cause more damage thru longer heating times. But the tips are smaller for little jobs.
I couldn't even say what temp a 15w iron is.

Personally, I use an electronically controlled iron. More expensive, but I dial in a temperature. Say 360-380 degrees C. For normal use.
Largers tracks, or desoldering, I'll use 420-450. It has changable tips. Thick/thin, modified ones.

I have a 'desoldering' iron. A suction pump combined with an iron.. probably 35-40w. Although these days I'll use 'desoldering braid' ..usually.
I have a massive 80w iron for soldering automotive relays, or ground planes to thick pcb tracks. Quick and easy.

My electronics background is aircraft avionics.. So I did long courses in analog and digital electronics... Although most of my career was spent diagnosing and changing whole assemblies rather than fixing.
I've forgotten at least half of it.

The VERY hardest soldering I've every done was adding mod chips to Play Station 2's (v3) Wires to IC pins 0.1mm apart.

What I can do is read a schematic- like a road map. Look up the ICs used, and then figure out in my mind what is going on. I'm at best, a Reverse Engineer.
ralcool
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by ralcool »

Here are three different 'programmers' built over the years.

A JDM, Fluffy2, and a EEPROM pogrammer.

JDM for 12C508/16F84s
Fluffy2 for Atmel Chips
Last for 64/128/256/512k EEPROMS.

All generally still in use, and run from my reliable old Pentium3 laptop (Well it was once....) 800Mhz P3 upgrade, 384Mb RAM, 60Gb HDD... External LCD/PSU/Mouse/Keyboard.......
But it has LPT and Serial Ports to operate these devices, and runs DOS or XP perfectly. (eg I burnt the ST Diagnostic ROMS the other night...in DOS 5.0...)

You can't see my Q6600 mega machine running Windows 7 though........
Last edited by ralcool on Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ralcool
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by ralcool »

Well, I just paid for a 72pin RAM socket from Ebay... So expect a shifter mounted pcb 4Mb upgrade soon.... When I finish the layout, and create a custom component for the 72pin socket. Sigh.
At least I have a couple of 72pin 4 & 8Mb simms in the box....Fast Page blah blah.....
ralcool
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by ralcool »

Subject to further checking and ultimately test...

Here are completed Circuit board designs for the '16Mhz ST' and 'LASCAN '... LH Board 16mhz mod, RH Lascan.

Both single sided, and appear correct.

The 16Mhz_ST.zip was in Dutch! But makes sense... I think. Translated.....Thanks Google Translate.....

Both setup to have a small header leading to the motherboard wiring locations

I hope to implement these soon. They might even fit on the pcb during the etch process for the IDE board. But TIGHT! 100x80mm PCB.

Both easy enough to wire up, So I should have feedback in the following week or two. (After parts arrive, and built...)
spiny
Disk Imager Supreme
Disk Imager Supreme

Post by spiny »

this thread just keeps on getting better and better :)
ralcool
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by ralcool »

Aww, Shucks.. I just love playing with electronics... :oops: I'm not doing this for any benefit, other than the joy of old machines. And its mine. :D

And the bike... EFI and REAL hardware.....! Fully restored in my workshop.....hehehe, OT no, its 1984! Oops, Did I post THAT here...! Wrong forum.. sorry...:P
spiny
Disk Imager Supreme
Disk Imager Supreme

Post by spiny »

ah, this is what takes up most of my time and money:

I'm currently ignoring it, as it's not running correctly and needs me to rebuild the carbs, again. Still, asuming I get some morivation back, it might be ready for it's first MOT in 27 years soon :)
ralcool
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by ralcool »

Nice project Spiny, At least we know where all our money goes.....

Tonight I decided to lace up the circuit for a 72pin simm upgrade..

Also ties in nicely with the 16mhz mod (Given it needs a 16mhz input and power...)

I don't have the 72pin socket here yet.. but I think the pin pitch & spacing looks correct. I'll verify with a dummy print out against the socket before making the board.

Naturally the shielding WON'T fit this setup. Its also offset left a little for floppy drive clearance.
ralcool
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by ralcool »

If anybody wants the pcb files (Openable in Express PCB) Just let me know. They print brilliantly as a mask for positive resist PCB production.

First free PCB software I've used (lately) that lets me...... And have the option of professional PCB production... GOLD!
ralcool
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by ralcool »

Now that we have CF based IDE connected data sources. Hey its modern FAST flash ram, in a convenient package- that we can plug directly into the cpus data/address lines. (Just like 486 Local BUS)

We normally use them now as silent/ cool /lowpower harddrives.

Why don't we have a TT-RAM emulater/page file program (?) A 14MB partition acting as RAM.
nativ
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by nativ »

You probably want to look up Outside by Uwe of Harddriver fame!

It's a virtual memory software.

regards
Atari STFM 512 / STe 4MB / Mega ST+DSP / Falcon 4MB 16Mhz 68882 - DVD/CDRW/ZIP/DAT - FDI / Jaguar / Lynx 1&2 / 7800 / 2600 / XE 130+SD Card // Sega Dreamcast / Mega2+CD2 // Apple G4

http://soundcloud.com/nativ ~ http://soundcloud.com/nativ-1 ~ http://soundcloud.com/knot_music
http://soundcloud.com/push-sounds ~ http://soundcloud.com/push-records
wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by wongck »

It be cool if these prototypes are done and working.
By the looks of things, you'll probably make it work.
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63 CTPCI ATI RTL8139 USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list

Return to “Hardware”