STe/STfm cases interchangeable?

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Moderator Team

bnastic
Atarian
Atarian

STe/STfm cases interchangeable?

Post by bnastic »

Hi all, time to leave the order of forum lurkers.

I got a 1040 STe recently with a fairly yellowed case (keyboard is fine, more or less). I'm thinking of buying a cheap 1040STf[m] in order to get its top part of the case. Does anyone know if this is possible? Are STe and STf[m]'s interchangeable? Bearing in mind that STe's top case, according to the service manual, doesn't hold the ports atthe back, so it seems possible to me but I can't compare them myself.
Or would you suggest some sort of de-yellowing process?

Thanks
[ProToS]

Re: STe/STfm cases interchangeable?

Post by [ProToS] »

SeeU
[ProToS]/Facebook
insanity
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by insanity »

bnastic wrote:I'm thinking of buying a cheap 1040STf[m] in order to get its top part of the case. Does anyone know if this is possible?
There might be some people with spares on here, I think the top part of the plastic cover will be ok (maybe the disk drive might cause a problem on earlier types)...

The lower part I think might differ a bit though, doesn't the STE have extra ports on the side?

Tell you what - take a picture of each side and I'll take a pic of the STFM I have (I own 3).

baz
simonsunnyboy

Post by simonsunnyboy »

In general the top part and the keyboard are fully interchangable. The lower case part cannot be exchanged between them because the STE has additional ports and the others may be at slightly different positions in comparison to the STFM. (I never bothered to measure the cases)

My STE uses a STFM top half and works as exepcted. Except for the 1040STFM sticke ron it, there isn o obvious strange thing to see. It just fits.

PS: Same applies to Falcon cases as well - lower part is custom tailrored, upper half can be exchanged at ease.
Simon Sunnyboy/Paradize - http://paradize.atari.org/

Stay cool, stay Atari!

1x2600jr, 1x1040STFm, 1x1040STE 4MB+TOS2.06+SatanDisk, 1xF030 14MB+FPU+NetUS-Bee
joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by joska »

simonsunnyboy wrote:PS: Same applies to Falcon cases as well - lower part is custom tailrored, upper half can be exchanged at ease.
That's not correct. The Falcon top case is unique to the Falcon. The floppy bezel is square, and the internal supports are not at the same place.
Jo Even

VanillaMiNT - Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64
simonsunnyboy

Post by simonsunnyboy »

Thanks for correcting me! It's a bit sad though...
Simon Sunnyboy/Paradize - http://paradize.atari.org/

Stay cool, stay Atari!

1x2600jr, 1x1040STFm, 1x1040STE 4MB+TOS2.06+SatanDisk, 1xF030 14MB+FPU+NetUS-Bee
bnastic
Atarian
Atarian

Post by bnastic »

Thank you all for clarifying things for me.
This: "My STE uses a STFM top half and works as exepcted" is what I was hoping for, not too keen on mixing chemicals myself (although I'll try retrobright on the bottom part of the case, just to see how it works)

Now, off to finding a spare HD cover for my yellowed TT, too.
wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by wongck »

Currently on ebay are casing for 520 & 1040.
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63 CTPCI ATI RTL8139 USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list

Return to “Hardware”