UltraSatan TOS/DOS compatible image files (7th Oct. 2009)

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Moderator Team

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Re: UltraSatan TOS/DOS compatible image files (7th Oct. 2009)

Post by wongck »

Wow... must be fun testing all that different variation of drivers and partition size.
Wish I could help with some of the testing but I don't have the hardware. :roll:
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63 CTPCI ATI RTL8139 USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list
DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by DrCoolZic »

Not directly related but I am looking for a program called Xboot 3 that allow to boot from different partitions.
I have been looking in many places but did not found. Does anybody has a copy ?
Desty
Atari God
Atari God

Post by Desty »

DrCoolZic wrote:The problem is located in the GEMDOS portion of the TOS and can only be fixed if you use BIGDOS (DOS partition up to 2GB) or an HD driver (TOS&DOS partitions up to 512MB for TOS > 1.02 or 1GB for TOS 4.x) like HDDRIVER or PPTOSDOS.
Thanks, that's a good explanation (i.e. understandable even by me) :) I look forward to finding out more about the development of Pptosdos!
tá'n poc ar buile!
AtariSince1989
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by AtariSince1989 »

DrCoolZic wrote:Not directly related but I am looking for a program called Xboot 3 that allow to boot from different partitions.
We added it to the Atari ST essential software (The List), but it is commercial software... just got a link for the demo: http://www4.pair.com/gribnif/files/Demos/xbootdem.zip
- Atari 520 STe 4MB RAM + TOS 2.06 + UltraSatan
- Atari Falcon030 14MB RAM + TOS 4.04 + IDE-SD card HDD + NVRAM mod + SCSI buffer clock mod + EtherNEC
- Amstrad CPC 6128 + HxC USB Floppy Emulator
- Acorn A3010 4MB RAM + 40MB IDE HDD

Atari ST Essential software (The List)
My FTP Server: http://www.datavase.info/FTPserver (only from Midnight to 8am UK Time)
My music at http://soundcloud.com/datavase/
DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by DrCoolZic »

AtariSince1989 wrote:
DrCoolZic wrote:Not directly related but I am looking for a program called Xboot 3 that allow to boot from different partitions.
We added it to the Atari ST essential software (The List), but it is commercial software... just got a link for the demo: http://www4.pair.com/gribnif/files/Demos/xbootdem.zip
Thanks did not know. A great List !!!
DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by DrCoolZic »

DrCoolZic wrote: So what would be the best solution: A driver that can handle MANY TOS&DOS partitions + one of them can be made bootable. With such driver you can use your boot sd card on Atari and PC with many 512MB partitions. Your transfer card would also need to TOS&DOS partitioned so it can be read on both systems. This is a nice solution for Stan user as well.

Unfortunately such a driver is not yet available, but it should be soon :D (preliminary tests look very promising). For me this will be the perfect solution as this driver does NOT need BIGDOS and therefore you are running "pure" Atari software with no GEMDOS replacement :wink:
I did not mention but you can experiment with this new driver by looking at http://ppera.07x.net/atari/DiskImgPP1.html
You can dowload a disk image with 3 TOSDOS partitions and games + Mint ... + of course the driver at http://www.megaupload.com/?d=J43LY1IV
The 3 Partitions can be read on Atari and directly on PC and you can choose from which partition you boot and no need for BIGDOS. Isnt it wonderful :D
Only restriction on this preliminary version is only 1GB sd card and only ID=0. Of course final version will remove all these limitations for only 10€

Also want to mention that solutions needing BigDOS are not for gamers - many will not work with BigDOS. I think that Desty has problems with it. And I can make some different sized image files too, by need
bj
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by bj »

Here you go. I don't think it does what you mention but it does a whole lot of other things :) . Basically it allows boot up using different sets of auto programs, accessories, Cpx modules and Desktop Inf files. The ultimate in bootup configurability! :) It's been my fave for many years. :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
regards
BJ
wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by wongck »

bj wrote:Here you go. I don't think it does what you mention but it does a whole lot of other things :) . Basically it allows boot up using different sets of auto programs, accessories, Cpx modules and Desktop Inf files. The ultimate in bootup configurability! :) It's been my fave for many years. :D
Yeap, the best. I am using it since the mid 90s.
The version 3.2, is patched to work after Y2K plus some other bugs fix.
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63 CTPCI ATI RTL8139 USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
AtariSince1989
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by AtariSince1989 »

bj wrote:
Here you go. I don't think it does what you mention but it does a whole lot of other things :) . Basically it allows boot up using different sets of auto programs, accessories, Cpx modules and Desktop Inf files. The ultimate in bootup configurability! :) It's been my fave for many years. :D
Thanks a lot. I have tried it and I have seen that is like Superboot... but much nicer! :D I'm gonna use xboot from now on :wink:
- Atari 520 STe 4MB RAM + TOS 2.06 + UltraSatan
- Atari Falcon030 14MB RAM + TOS 4.04 + IDE-SD card HDD + NVRAM mod + SCSI buffer clock mod + EtherNEC
- Amstrad CPC 6128 + HxC USB Floppy Emulator
- Acorn A3010 4MB RAM + 40MB IDE HDD

Atari ST Essential software (The List)
My FTP Server: http://www.datavase.info/FTPserver (only from Midnight to 8am UK Time)
My music at http://soundcloud.com/datavase/
DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by DrCoolZic »

bj wrote:
Thanks a lot. :)
I have heard that is is a very good program, but do not know all the features.
Thanks again
DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by DrCoolZic »

DrCoolZic wrote:I did not mention but you can experiment with this new driver by looking at http://ppera.07x.net/atari/DiskImgPP1.html
You can dowload a disk image with 3 TOSDOS partitions and games + Mint ... + of course the driver at http://www.megaupload.com/?d=J43LY1IV
The 3 Partitions can be read on Atari and directly on PC and you can choose from which partition you boot and no need for BIGDOS. Isnt it wonderful :D
Only restriction on this preliminary version is only 1GB sd card and only ID=0. Of course final version will remove all these limitations for only 10€
Actually what I siad was not totally right here is the reply from ppera
PPera wrote: ... ACSI autoboot can work from any target 0-7 . Only that it scans then only that target and not further ones. It will be added in next revision, with ICD commands and AHDI drive support. And I will likely post new image with it, for free. Only for partitioner (with driver) I plan to charge.
But it seems that it will be not finished so soon - really not much free time now.
For information there is already a test program (HD performance analyzer) that uses ICD extended command and therefore allow access above 1GB :)
Awol
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Post by Awol »

The 32mb limit shouldn't be an issue for me since I actually have a 32mb SD card (it came with my digital camera, and I was planning to use it as my TOS&DOS transfer card). I put Mug UK's image on the card, but I can't get it to show up on my Atari's desktop as a hard disk. Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong? I tried to make the card bootable with ICD and it wouldn't work either. For the moment, I've reformatted it as TOS-only and it's working fine with the ICD driver.
1040STE: 4MB RAM, TOS 2.06
Formerly Grey_and_Purple.
Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mug UK »

If you read (either in this thread or the one for ICD compatible images) you'll see that the ICD driver won't boot directly with a card formatted TOS/DOS .. that only works for HDDriver. You can, however, put it as your Drive D: and it should work and, as it's 32Mb, it shouldn't have any of the write error problems that DrCoolZic has found with his exhaustive tests.
My main site: http://www.mug-uk.co.uk - slowly digging up the bits from my past (and re-working a few): Atari ST, Sega 8-bit (game hacks) and NDS (Music ripping guide).

I develop a free Word (for Windows) add-in that's available for Word 2007 upwards. It's a fix-it toolbox that will allow power Word users to fix document errors. You can find it at: http://www.mikestoolbox.co.uk
DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by DrCoolZic »

Grey_and_Purple wrote:The 32mb limit shouldn't be an issue for me since I actually have a 32mb SD card (it came with my digital camera, and I was planning to use it as my TOS&DOS transfer card). I put Mug UK's image on the card, but I can't get it to show up on my Atari's desktop as a hard disk. Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong? I tried to make the card bootable with ICD and it wouldn't work either. For the moment, I've reformatted it as TOS-only and it's working fine with the ICD driver.
If you hae 32MB SD card and ICD this shoud be easy! First do not use HDDRIVER images. IN theory they should work for 32MB partitions however I have found a bug in HDDRIVER: It does not write correectly DOS&TOS partitions with less than 32MB (I will document this later).
So plug your card on PC use the disk manager, select your SD card and create a partition using FAT for the file system. Format it with the default values. Thats all that you need to do!
Now you should be able to access the card in PC but also with ICD on Atari as it recognize directly small FAT partition ...
However beware that this card cannot be made bootable on Atari...
Let me know if you have any problem.
Jean
Awol

Post by Awol »

Mug UK wrote:If you read (either in this thread or the one for ICD compatible images) you'll see that the ICD driver won't boot directly with a card formatted TOS/DOS .. that only works for HDDriver. You can, however, put it as your Drive D: and it should work and, as it's 32Mb, it shouldn't have any of the write error problems that DrCoolZic has found with his exhaustive tests.
Ah... I missed that somehow. Thanks!
DrCoolZic wrote: If you hae 32MB SD card and ICD this shoud be easy! First do not use HDDRIVER images. IN theory they should work for 32MB partitions however I have found a bug in HDDRIVER: It does not write correectly DOS&TOS partitions with less than 32MB (I will document this later).
So plug your card on PC use the disk manager, select your SD card and create a partition using FAT for the file system. Format it with the default values. Thats all that you need to do!
Now you should be able to access the card in PC but also with ICD on Atari as it recognize directly small FAT partition ...
Jean
I actually tried formatting the card as FAT and using it with the CBHD driver, but I couldn't get it to work... probably because I was only using one card and didn't know that FAT can't be made bootable on the Atari. I didn't know that the ICD driver supported FAT formatted cards though! I thought only HDDRIVER and CBHD did. Anyway, I'll get another SD card and make it bootable (and TOS-only), and then I'll try my 32mb FAT card with ICD. Thanks for the info!
DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by DrCoolZic »

I have just release a new version of my documentation on Hard Disk in this document you will find all the information you need to know about Hard disk.
Do not be afraid this is a long document but full of practical information. Just read what you need :wink:
The link is http://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.ph ... 92#p158692

Small utility to test drive can be found at http://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=18408
Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mug UK »

Good stuff DrCoolZic .. should I lock this thread now?
My main site: http://www.mug-uk.co.uk - slowly digging up the bits from my past (and re-working a few): Atari ST, Sega 8-bit (game hacks) and NDS (Music ripping guide).

I develop a free Word (for Windows) add-in that's available for Word 2007 upwards. It's a fix-it toolbox that will allow power Word users to fix document errors. You can find it at: http://www.mikestoolbox.co.uk
DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by DrCoolZic »

Mug UK wrote:Good stuff DrCoolZic .. should I lock this thread now?
Not sure what lock thread mean? No new post?
But if you want to lock it no problem with me :wink:
Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mug UK »

Yep - that's what I mean. If you've answered all the queries, and directed them to your up to date guide, there's not much use for this thread other than to store the images for HDDriver owners.

Awol

Re: UltraSatan TOS/DOS compatible image files (7th Oct. 2009

Post by Awol »

DrCoolZic wrote: If you hae 32MB SD card and ICD this shoud be easy! First do not use HDDRIVER images. IN theory they should work for 32MB partitions however I have found a bug in HDDRIVER: It does not write correectly DOS&TOS partitions with less than 32MB (I will document this later).
Jean
I can't get this to work! I can access my 32MB card on my PC, but not my Atari.
DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by DrCoolZic »

Awol wrote:
Jean
I can't get this to work! I can access my 32MB card on my PC, but not my Atari.
Should work. However default might not be the right value?
On PC format the 32MB with FAT (not FAT32) and select 512 for allocation unit.
Now you should be able to read on Atari with ICD or HDDRIVER
wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by wongck »

DrCoolZic wrote:I can't get this to work! I can access my 32MB card on my PC, but not my Atari.
I think if you format on PC, then you need DOS mode on Atari to read the HDD.
This is bigDOS or maybe hddriver in DOS mode.
I think ICD will not read it.
DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by DrCoolZic »

wongck wrote:
DrCoolZic wrote:I can't get this to work! I can access my 32MB card on my PC, but not my Atari.
I think if you format on PC, then you need DOS mode on Atari to read the HDD.
This is bigDOS or maybe hddriver in DOS mode.
I think ICD will not read it.
Yes you need a driver that can read dos partitions and this is the case of at least HDD and ICD.
However in order for this to work the partition needs to be less (not less or equal) than 32MB
If partition is equal or more than 32MB then you need either to use BIGDOS or DOS/TOS partitions with HDDriver
see http://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.ph ... 39#p158692 for more technical details
wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by wongck »

DrCoolZic wrote:see http://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.ph ... 39#p158692 for more technical details
Ahh yes, how is your project getting along?
DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by DrCoolZic »

wongck wrote:
DrCoolZic wrote:see http://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.ph ... 39#p158692 for more technical details
Ahh yes, how is your project getting along?
Unfortunately Ppera is progressing slowly on the new driver. This is due to the fact that based on analysis of the problem of partitions size and number of partitions he needs to rewrite large portion of the code.

Return to “Hardware”