UltraSatan TOS/DOS compatible image files (7th Oct. 2009)

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Moderator Team

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

UltraSatan TOS/DOS compatible image files (7th Oct. 2009)

Post by Mug UK »

Here's the ones I've been messing with .. had to restart the 128MB & 256MB images again as they only compressed down to half their size due to me being lazy and doing a quick format and not a 'zap every sector to 0' format :)

I used WinHex to block fill a 0 byte into all the freespace areas on each card before making the images. The images were created using the USB Image Tool v1.31 that Jookie mentions on his site: http://joo.kie.sk/ultrasatan/icdproimage/

Attachment #1: 32Mb Canon SD card - this is the card that the original SatanDisk refused to have anything to do with once it was prepped by HDDriver's utility. I'll go and install the driver files now that I've made the image and see if it works with the UltraSatan.
32Mb TOS-DOS format card (no OS installed).zip
Attachment #2: 128Mb Micro SD card
128Mb TOS-DOS format card (no OS installed).zip
Attachment #3: 256Mb Micro SD card
256Mb TOS-DOS format card (no OS installed).zip
Attachment #4: 512MB SanDisk SD card - like the 32MB SD card above, this one also refused to work with the original SatanDisk.
512Mb TOS-DOS format card (no OS installed).zip
Can people please test these?

You should be able to use these images with HDDriver and, as per Dr CoolZic's trick, install the ICD driver onto the SD card afterwards if you haven't bought HDDriver.

*Edit - Extra images added on 22nd October*
8Mb TOS-DOS format card (no OS installed).zip
64Mb TOS-DOS format card (no OS installed).zip
Added the 8MB & 64MB images. 8MB was from a standard SD card and the 64MB was from an RS-MMC attached to an MMC adapter which HDDriver detected as me booting from my usual 256MB SD card with an MMC in the second drive :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
My main site: http://www.mug-uk.co.uk - slowly digging up the bits from my past (and re-working a few): Atari ST, Sega 8-bit (game hacks) and NDS (Music ripping guide).

I develop a free Word (for Windows) add-in that's available for Word 2007 upwards. It's a fix-it toolbox that will allow power Word users to fix document errors. You can find it at: http://www.mikestoolbox.co.uk
Awol
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Re: UltraSatan TOS/DOS compatible image files

Post by Awol »

Awesome! I'll test these when my SD cards arrive in the mail. :D
1040STE: 4MB RAM, TOS 2.06
Formerly Grey_and_Purple.
Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mug UK »

Grey_and_Purple wrote:Awesome! I'll test these when my SD cards arrive in the mail. :D
Well I think I've cocked up somewhere as when I moved the cards back to the STE to install the HDDriver.SYS file onto them .. they were back as Windows format images!

Jookie - would renaming the disks using Windows cause the partition type to change from TOS/DOS back to Windows somehow? Or me zapping all the free space with WinHex cause anything similar? They were TOS/DOS *before* I read them in on the PC .. but something I've done has changed them back into Windows partitions!

Will do them again tomorrow night as I'm fed up now :)
My main site: http://www.mug-uk.co.uk - slowly digging up the bits from my past (and re-working a few): Atari ST, Sega 8-bit (game hacks) and NDS (Music ripping guide).

I develop a free Word (for Windows) add-in that's available for Word 2007 upwards. It's a fix-it toolbox that will allow power Word users to fix document errors. You can find it at: http://www.mikestoolbox.co.uk
Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by Jookie »

Mug UK wrote:Jookie - would renaming the disks using Windows cause the partition type to change from TOS/DOS back to Windows somehow? Or me zapping all the free space with WinHex cause anything similar? They were TOS/DOS *before* I read them in on the PC .. but something I've done has changed them back into Windows partitions!
Well, I don't know :) Windows might do a lot of things that user might not need to know, so he might also have 'fixed' the card somehow without letting you know ;) I remember that some antivirus was bitching once about 'unknown boot sector' and one of the options it gave me was 'Restore bootsector' ;) Anyway, forcing all bytes to 0 before setting it up as TOS&DOS compatible by HDDRIVER shouldn't make any difference.
Maverick[RAM]
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by Maverick[RAM] »

Mug UK wrote:Here's the ones I've been messing with .. had to restart the 128MB & 256MB images again as they only compressed down to half their size due to me being lazy and doing a quick format and not a 'zap every sector to 0' format :)

I used WinHex to block fill a 0 byte into all the freespace areas on each card before making the images. The images were created using the USB Image Tool v1.31 that Jookie mentions on his site: http://joo.kie.sk/ultrasatan/icdproimage/

Attachment #1: 32Mb Canon SD card - this is the card that the original SatanDisk refused to have anything to do with once it was prepped by HDDriver's utility. I'll go and install the driver files now that I've made the image and see if it works with the UltraSatan.
Hi Mug!

Could you please make an image for 16 Mb too :oops:

My TOS v1.00 US :oops: only handles 16 Mb partitons as a boot partition

But the device really works and it is so cool :D

Best Regards
Maverick
/<o>\
< x >
|_o_|

SYOTN - See You On The Net
Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mug UK »

I haven't got a 16MB SD card to make an image from Maverick :( Otherwise I would .. but I'm also keeping my eyes peeled on eBay for smaller devices in case one turns up and I'll grab it for testing purposes :)

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by DrCoolZic »

Maverick[RAM] wrote:Hi Mug!

Best Regards
Maverick
Not true! If you use TOS 1.0 with ICD driver your boot partition can be 256MB (>1.04 would allow 512MB)
DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by DrCoolZic »

Mug UK wrote:Well I think I've cocked up somewhere as when I moved the cards back to the STE to install the HDDriver.SYS file onto them .. they were back as Windows format images!

Jookie - would renaming the disks using Windows cause the partition type to change from TOS/DOS back to Windows somehow? Or me zapping all the free space with WinHex cause anything similar? They were TOS/DOS *before* I read them in on the PC .. but something I've done has changed them back into Windows partitions!

Will do them again tomorrow night as I'm fed up now :)
To install the hdddriver.sys file you should use the HDUTIL program (do not copy directly in the root folder).
Do not try to install ICD driver (wont work)
Renaming the disk in Windows should not hurt in theory as the trick played by hddriver is to create a smart complex Master Boot Record. The MBR is modified only if you change anything concerning partitions (size, active, position, ...) and therefore you should not change any information concerning the partition or boot. I'll try to test.
Also do not change or add partition on the ST side (same effect). For example I have tried to redeclare the same exact partition using ICD but it did corrupt the MBR created innitially by hddriver
Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mug UK »

Edit: Re-partitioned, re-imaged and re-uploaded as promised. Now can people test them?

Maverick[RAM]
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by Maverick[RAM] »

DrCoolZic wrote:
Maverick[RAM] wrote:Hi Mug!

Best Regards
Maverick
Not true! If you use TOS 1.0 with ICD driver your boot partition can be 256MB (>1.04 would allow 512MB)
Really?

I must test this at once

Thanks in advance

Best Regards
Maverick
/<o>\
< x >
|_o_|

SYOTN - See You On The Net
98PaceCar
Atarian
Atarian

Re: UltraSatan TOS/DOS compatible image files (7th Oct. 2009)

Post by 98PaceCar »

I just tried the 512mb one and didn't have any luck. I can se it on the PC fine, but when I took it to the ST it didn't show any partitions.

One thing I did that was odd was I used a 1gb card as it's the smallest I have. XP showed it having a 512mb capacity after the image was put on it though.
KLund1
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by KLund1 »

I have a similar item as 98PaceCar. I can only find a 2gb card to use. I also have an extra 8gb ( I know these are way overkill). I went to a couple computer shops near me, and they laughed at me when I asked if they had, 128, 256, 512 sd cards :( I don't want to go hunt down such cards, rather just use what I got.
What would be the best way to set up such large cards? 1 card for boot, the other just from ST - PC file transfer. I don't mind losing some of the capacity, as long as they work.
KLund1
(maybe this should go in the other USD thread, no sure)
UPDATED: Falcon 030(FX-1)(CF int & removable SD), MSTE 4+PS3000 4160STE 2.06+HDFD STacy4-internal-USD 1040STFM+I.B.Driver-5.25"FDD 1040STF 1040ST 520ST-AdSpeed 400-48k 800+810x2+820+822+825+830+835+850, 800XL+IndusGT 600XL 130XE+XF551x2 Portfolio 1200XL APE(Warp+32in1 OS SuperVideo 2.1 256k RAMBO)+1050x2 USD'd+SIO2PC, PC1+PCH204+PCM124+PCF554x2
Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by Jookie »

98PaceCar, KLund1 - what TOS versions do you have? Because maximum partition size for TOS 1.00-1.02 is 256 MB and maximum partition size for TOS 1.04-3.xx is 512 MB - so if you were trying the 512 MB image on older TOS then it won't work.

About the 'large card - small image' thing - there will be no problem that the smaller image (and thus smaller partition) is placed on a large card, that will work. The large cards are cheap nowadays so I wouldn't mind buying what I can get for the least money and using it with small partition from small image.
DarkLord
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by DarkLord »

Since (using MugUK's guide) 512megs was the limit, I'm using the cheap 1 gig
SanDisk cards for my "transfer between PC and ST" cards. You lose about half
the card, but I can live with that. I couldn't find 512meg cards handy here, which
would have been the most efficient. I printed out the guide and used it, and its
worked everytime for me.
Welcome To DarkForce! http://www.darkforce.org "The Fuji Lives.!"
Atari SW/HW based BBS - Telnet:darkforce-bbs.dyndns.org 520
98PaceCar
Atarian
Atarian

Post by 98PaceCar »

Jookie wrote:98PaceCar, KLund1 - what TOS versions do you have? Because maximum partition size for TOS 1.00-1.02 is 256 MB and maximum partition size for TOS 1.04-3.xx is 512 MB - so if you were trying the 512 MB image on older TOS then it won't work.

About the 'large card - small image' thing - there will be no problem that the smaller image (and thus smaller partition) is placed on a large card, that will work. The large cards are cheap nowadays so I wouldn't mind buying what I can get for the least money and using it with small partition from small image.
I've got 1.04 (Rainbow) on a Mega ST 2 that's been upgraded to 4mb and has a 8/16 mhz switchable cpu (running in 8mhz mode). My boot SD card works perfectly, but the transfer card didn't show any partitions. It did show the card in the slot when the system booted. I used Hdutil (or whatever it's called in ICD Pro) and it only showed the 3 partitions on my boot sd, nothing for the second card.
KLund1
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by KLund1 »

Jookie thanks for the reply. I'm using 2.06 on my STE, & MSTE.
I was thinking of using the 1gb for a boot disk for the STE, and the 8gb for ST-PC transfer, & program/data storage for both.
edit: also the MSTE is using ICD 6.x(?) driver
UPDATED: Falcon 030(FX-1)(CF int & removable SD), MSTE 4+PS3000 4160STE 2.06+HDFD STacy4-internal-USD 1040STFM+I.B.Driver-5.25"FDD 1040STF 1040ST 520ST-AdSpeed 400-48k 800+810x2+820+822+825+830+835+850, 800XL+IndusGT 600XL 130XE+XF551x2 Portfolio 1200XL APE(Warp+32in1 OS SuperVideo 2.1 256k RAMBO)+1050x2 USD'd+SIO2PC, PC1+PCH204+PCM124+PCF554x2
MiggyMog
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by MiggyMog »

I have a four 1GB Cards (1 mini), I was able to boot using a card I had set up with the original SaTandisk (MB 512 Partition). I also managed to access partitions I had screwed up with the old device on another card after being fixed with Paragon on the PC :-)

The advantage of the two cards is that you can partition the boot one with extra partitions if you stay TOS formatted (So can use upto 4GB 8x512 partitions? depending on TOS) but the transport one is limited by PC compatibility.

There was a thread which was talking about having a regfix on the PC to allow access to more than one partition on the PC side.

I will try burning MugUK's images to the other cards when I get the chance.
('< o o o o |''| STM,2xSTFM,2xSTE+HD,C-Lab Falcon MK2+HD,Satandisk,Ultrasatandisk,Ethernat.
simbo

Post by simbo »

ive done this with 1GB card and both parts of 511.9MB worked
the trick was to partition the sdcard using a mobile phone software
and also have 2 sdcards in place boot from floppy using hddriver v8.16
its the most stable
if you plan to copy stuff only use a floppy driver set up

its daft to try to install a driver on a new system and copy important stuff
so be warned to use a floppy driver
once you see all disks copy it over and make a copy on the pc..etc
then and only then try to install drivers
new things take time to bed down
so air on the side of caution
with important memories

mobile phone sdcard tools run in windows X with no probs
ill post the link's later
was a bit pissed last night

so ill get back to it

i still think the later version of hd driver is still better
but chbd works for me {with a tweek to its source and a recompile} and its free even the source...!!!

i still think the guy who wrote it is one of the best writers for atari stuff for sure
ive been in the position where knowone helps and you get very little feedback
for tools that are widely used as chbd is

so .. maybe as its free it should be extended and we make our own one
as hdutils.app is quite badly layed out as a front end
perhaps the app source should be open leaving the driver to pay for
this is better by far i feel

but maybe as usual its just me .... :coffe:
Foster
Atarian
Atarian

Post by Foster »

The 256 mb image is working like a champ for me. Thanks Mug UK! I set up a boot card with ICDPRO using Jookie's guide and am using a second card flashed with Mug UK's image for transfer. Both the Atari STe (TOS 1.62) and the PC saw the xfer card right away. It sure is nice that the UltraSatan has two card slots. Thanks for the images Mug UK and for the amazing hardware and support Jookie!
AtariSince1989
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by AtariSince1989 »

Foster wrote:The 256 mb image is working like a champ for me. Thanks Mug UK! I set up a boot card with ICDPRO using Jookie's guide and am using a second card flashed with Mug UK's image for transfer. Both the Atari STe (TOS 1.62) and the PC saw the xfer card right away. It sure is nice that the UltraSatan has two card slots. Thanks for the images Mug UK and for the amazing hardware and support Jookie!
Hey Foster, I have same configuration as you, a part of having TOS 2.06. Does the Atari detect the hot swapping? For me doesn't works and I think is because ICDPRO, as all the guys with HDDRIVER told me it works for them. After using the SD card on the USD, I unplug and use it on the PC, then when I plug again on the USD, I see (sometimes) a message on the top of the screen, but I have to reboot the ST in order to be able to read the new content of the SD. Is the same for you? Thanks a lot.
- Atari 520 STe 4MB RAM + TOS 2.06 + UltraSatan
- Atari Falcon030 14MB RAM + TOS 4.04 + IDE-SD card HDD + NVRAM mod + SCSI buffer clock mod + EtherNEC
- Amstrad CPC 6128 + HxC USB Floppy Emulator
- Acorn A3010 4MB RAM + 40MB IDE HDD

Atari ST Essential software (The List)
My FTP Server: http://www.datavase.info/FTPserver (only from Midnight to 8am UK Time)
My music at http://soundcloud.com/datavase/
Foster
Atarian
Atarian

Post by Foster »

Hey Foster, I have same configuration as you, a part of having TOS 2.06. Does the Atari detect the hot swapping? For me doesn't works and I think is because ICDPRO, as all the guys with HDDRIVER told me it works for them. After using the SD card on the USD, I unplug and use it on the PC, then when I plug again on the USD, I see (sometimes) a message on the top of the screen, but I have to reboot the ST in order to be able to read the new content of the SD. Is the same for you? Thanks a lot.
Hot swapping does not work for me either so it seems likely that it's an ICDPRO issue. Like you, I simply have to reboot each time I swap the card. It would be nice to hot swap but I can't justify the expense of HDDRIVER for that feature alone. Cheers.
StickHead
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by StickHead »

Foster wrote:The 256 mb image is working like a champ for me. Thanks Mug UK! I set up a boot card with ICDPRO using Jookie's guide and am using a second card flashed with Mug UK's image for transfer. Both the Atari STe (TOS 1.62) and the PC saw the xfer card right away. It sure is nice that the UltraSatan has two card slots. Thanks for the images Mug UK and for the amazing hardware and support Jookie!
Have you tested this by transferring data over 32MB? Does it still work?
The Joy of STicks - YouTube - Blog - Twitter - Facebook
New Developments and old inspirations in Atari ST gaming.
AtariSince1989
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by AtariSince1989 »

StickHead wrote:
Have you tested this by transferring data over 32MB? Does it still work?
I did, and the entire SD card became useless. Had to reformat and reinstall MugUK's image. Again, people is saying it's due ICDPRO.
- Atari 520 STe 4MB RAM + TOS 2.06 + UltraSatan
- Atari Falcon030 14MB RAM + TOS 4.04 + IDE-SD card HDD + NVRAM mod + SCSI buffer clock mod + EtherNEC
- Amstrad CPC 6128 + HxC USB Floppy Emulator
- Acorn A3010 4MB RAM + 40MB IDE HDD

Atari ST Essential software (The List)
My FTP Server: http://www.datavase.info/FTPserver (only from Midnight to 8am UK Time)
My music at http://soundcloud.com/datavase/
Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mug UK »

Got some of the RS MMC and MMC cards through (all 64MB) and have an 8MB SD card too - so will create some more images from those cards tomorrow night.

Still waiting for the 16MB one to turn up but as we're now going to be affected by a postal strike in the UK, I've no idea when it'll show up.

Desty
Atari God
Atari God

Post by Desty »

Mug UK wrote:Got some of the RS MMC and MMC cards through (all 64MB) and have an 8MB SD card too - so will create some more images from those cards tomorrow night.

Still waiting for the 16MB one to turn up but as we're now going to be affected by a postal strike in the UK, I've no idea when it'll show up.
Any tips on where to get lots of lowish-capacity SD/MMC cards? They seem a little expensive on eBay (I mean, 25 quid for 4 half-gig cards is a bit much)...
tá'n poc ar buile!

Return to “Hardware”