ICD AdSpeed ST: 16 MHz accelerator

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Moderator Team

Awol
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

ICD AdSpeed ST: 16 MHz accelerator

Post by Awol »

I just bought a brand new boxed "ICD AdSpeed ST" 16 MHz accelerator on eBay for $30 shipped. Was that a good deal?
What I really want to know though is: will it work with my STE? If not, it's no big deal because I can just stick it in my plain ST instead. I'd rather focus on upgrading a single computer though (already done my STE's RAM, next up: TOS).
1040STE: 4MB RAM, TOS 2.06
Formerly Grey_and_Purple.
joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Re: ICD AdSpeed ST: 16 MHz accelerator

Post by joska »

Grey_and_Purple wrote:I just bought a brand new boxed "ICD AdSpeed ST" 16 MHz accelerator on eBay for $30 shipped. Was that a good deal?
What I really want to know though is: will it work with my STE? If not, it's no big deal because I can just stick it in my plain ST instead. I'd rather focus on upgrading a single computer though (already done my STE's RAM, next up: TOS).
£30 is a good deal. It will work with your STE if you can find a suitable adapter - which is highly unlikely ;-)
Jo Even

VanillaMiNT - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega STE - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64
wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by wongck »

It plugs into the CPU, so you need to get the correct version for your CPU - either then longish one or the squareish one. :lol:
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63 CTPCI ATI RTL8139 USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list
puppetmark
Atarian
Atarian

Post by puppetmark »

I got one too. I am anxious to see what it can do in my 520ST.
Awol

Post by Awol »

wongck wrote:It plugs into the CPU, so you need to get the correct version for your CPU - either then longish one or the squareish one. :lol:
Oh. I didn't realize the STE's CPU was shaped differently.
Now I've Googled a bit and found out that although the STF and STE both have a Motorola 68000 CPU, the STF's is in DIL/DIP form, and the STE's is in PLCC form.
How many pins do each have?
joska wrote:£30 is a good deal. It will work with your STE if you can find a suitable adapter - which is highly unlikely ;-)
An adapter like on this page? Again, how many pins to how many pins? Although, one of those will cost me more than I paid for the accelerator itself! XD
wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by wongck »

Grey_and_Purple wrote:
wongck wrote:It plugs into the CPU, so you need to get the correct version for your CPU - either then longish one or the squareish one. :lol:
Oh. I didn't realize the STE's CPU was shaped differently.
Now I've Googled a bit and found out that although the STF and STE both have a Motorola 68000 CPU, the STF's is in DIL/DIP form, and the STE's is in PLCC form.
How many pins do each have?
Off hand I do not know the pin counts. Check out the documentation at motorola (Freescale now I think).
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63 CTPCI ATI RTL8139 USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by wongck »

Just open up your Atari & see which one is yours. On my 520STFM, it the longish one. :D
joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by joska »

Grey_and_Purple wrote:
joska wrote:£30 is a good deal. It will work with your STE if you can find a suitable adapter - which is highly unlikely ;-)
An adapter like on this page? Again, how many pins to how many pins? Although, one of those will cost me more than I paid for the accelerator itself! XD
Wow, I didn't know that these were still available! I think the 68 pin version would do.
Jo Even

VanillaMiNT - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega STE - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64
Awol

Post by Awol »

joska wrote:
Grey_and_Purple wrote:
Wow, I didn't know that these were still available! I think the 68 pin version would do.
Hm... I think what I need is the "DIP to PLCC adapter" and they don't have a 68-pin version of that. They do have a 68-pin version of the "PLCC to DIP adapter" but I think that's the wrong thing. I could probably make one. 68-pin DIP socket + 68-pin PLCC plug + DIY etched PCB = Atari CPU adapter. It should be fairly straightforward, right? Just connect each pin on the DIP socket to the corresponding pin on the PLCC plug?
Awol

Post by Awol »

Hm... I think the DIP version of the CPU has 64 pins, while the PLCC version has 68. What do I do about those 4 pins that get lost in translation? :|
Awol

Post by Awol »

Check out this link. Looks like that company sells the right kind of adapter, but I don't see how to order it online. Might be easier/cheaper to make one.
wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by wongck »

Grey_and_Purple wrote:Check out this link. Looks like that company sells the right kind of adapter, but I don't see how to order it online. Might be easier/cheaper to make one.
Easier - no, Cheaper - yes.
coze
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by coze »

not really sure about the cheaper bit also, esp if you don't have the material to etch pcb at home in hand.
Awol

Post by Awol »

coze wrote:not really sure about the cheaper bit also, esp if you don't have the material to etch pcb at home in hand.
I've actually already ordered some copper clad board from eBay because I wanted to try DIY etching for some other projects I'm doing. Cost me $8 shipped for a 12" x 12" double sided board. I can cut it up into smaller boards.I've read that you can make a good etchant out of hydrogen peroxide and muriatic acid, and we've already got both of those around the house. Also, I've etched copper plates for printmaking before. Pretty much the same process.
simbo

Post by simbo »

http://www.ironwoodelectronics.com/cata ... -01Dwg.pdf

here is the one you need but it costs wait for it 400 $ hahahahaahah

here is the pin outs
the board is easy to make provided you use two pcb bits joined as it gives you a bit of room for the tracking
expect to use thru's and via's and the dil board can be single sided with a groundplane if you like
http://www.xs4all.nl/~ganswijk/chipdir/giicm/68010.txt
just some small changes
there is 4 gnd pins in the plcc version
and 2 no connection

so just to wire it all up in an ecad like proteus vsm or better
Awol

Post by Awol »

Thanks for the pinouts Simbo!

I've just ordered a 68-pin male PLCC plug from here. Ended up costing me $30 shipped - the same price as the accelerator itself! Still, I suppose that's cheap for such a hard-to-find part, and that's the only place I could find to buy them. But the accelerator came with a 64-pin DIP socket, and I've already got etchant ingredients and blank PCB around the house, so I shouldn't have to spend any more money. Now let's see how long it takes for that little PLCC plug to arrive! It better come fast, considering they charged $8 shipping for a tiny little part. Anyway, once I've built the adapter and put the accelerator in my STE, I'll be sure to report back here on whether it works (how it cooperates with UltraSatan and various programs), and I'll post up photos as well as my circuit design in case anyone else wants to build one.
simbo

Post by simbo »

lets see sound a good fun project for sure!!!
Awol

Post by Awol »

The 68-pin PLCC plug came in the mail today, so I'll have a report soon. :D
Awol

Post by Awol »

The DIP chip has 2 ground pins, and the PLCC chip has 4. I assume I just connect 2 PLCC ground pins to 1 DIP ground pin?
joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by joska »

Awol wrote:The DIP chip has 2 ground pins, and the PLCC chip has 4. I assume I just connect 2 PLCC ground pins to 1 DIP ground pin?
Yes.

Btw. I just got a very clean STE for free today. And I happen to have an ICD AdSpeed16 somewhere, as well as a PC emulator. It would be cool to get these working in the STE, so please let us know when/if the AdSpeed is up and running.
Jo Even

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by wongck »

joska wrote:Btw. I just got a very clean STE for free today. And I happen to have an ICD AdSpeed16 somewhere, as well as a PC emulator. It would be cool to get these working in the STE, so please let us know when/if the AdSpeed is up and running.
What!!!!... for FREE!!
Lucky you..... :cheers:
and I have to look into eBay. :roll:
Awol

Post by Awol »

I finished the adapter but I can't get it to work! I've unplugged and replugged it a few times, but every time I turn on the STE I get either a blank white screen or 20 bombs. I used my multimeter's continuity test to make sure each pair of pins is connected properly, and to make sure there are no short circuits between wrong pins. I'm sure each pin is connected to the correct corresponding pin too. I don't know what's wrong! Anyone have suggestions? Is there a way to test the accelerator to make sure it isn't broken?

Here are some pictures. Don't laugh! It's my first ever attempt at circuitboard etching, and I didn't have the patience to figure out a circuit design program, so I hand drew the circuits with Sharpie and nail polish. I'm not the neatest at soldering either. :)
The adapter:
1.JPG
Installed:
2.JPG
There's not a lot of room in the computer so I made 2 boards and connected them with wire. It didn't occur to me to use ribbon cable until afterwards.

So that's what it looks like... a little sketchy, but the important thing is that it should theoretically work (corresponding pins properly connected, no short circuits). The problem is that in practice it doesn't work for some reason. Maybe the accelerator just only works with STF's?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by joska »

My AdSpeed16 has a socketed CPU. If your adapter is OK, the STE should boot and function normally if you remove the CPU from the AdSpeed and insert it directly in your adapter. This will tell you if the problems is with the adapter or with the AdSpeed.
Jo Even

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by wongck »

Awol wrote:Here are some pictures. Don't laugh! It's my first ever attempt at circuitboard etching, and I didn't have the patience to figure out a circuit design program, so I hand drew the circuits with Sharpie and nail polish. I'm not the neatest at soldering either. :)
Nice one. Better than me, I will never able to do that!!
simbo

Post by simbo »

looking at the pitcure im pretty sure i see a short between two tracks in the right hand lower segment

where the tracks bend round track 2 and 3 there is a small blob of copper between them
also on the left hand side a track is open circuit

if you asked :coffe: ... i would have made a pcb design for you :|
usualy takes me about 1hr or so to make a foil ....

advice is to use an lcd multimeter set beep test or low ohms / diode test range

and check track to track

ps ... slow down and move very slow around mpu
one mistake can fry the chipset a little and mpu setup
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Hardware”