Commodore 1084 monitor on ST?

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Moderator Team

simonsunnyboy

Commodore 1084 monitor on ST?

Post by simonsunnyboy »

Hi ppl,

I'm wondeering if one of those old Amiga monitors will work ok on th ST?
I assume yes due to the general characteristics of the video signals but what about the connectors? What sort of connectors do those Amiga monitors have? A SCART socket? And what about the audio as the Amiga had extra audio sockets on the back afaik.
I'm interested as old Amiga monitors are much cheaper to pickup than real ST ones (beside SM124s which I don't need).
Any ideas?

cheers
Simon Sunnyboy/Paradize - http://paradize.atari.org/

Stay cool, stay Atari!

1x2600jr, 1x1040STFm, 1x1040STE 4MB+TOS2.06+SatanDisk, 1xF030 14MB+FPU+NetUS-Bee
manicx
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by manicx »

They work and they are actually better than the Atari monitors. Need to find you the link...
simbo

hi res monitors

Post by simbo »

the solution is easy

look for the comodore manual the atari manual has all the wiring charts

i was never an amega man
infact i have one i use to prop the door open

i can help maybe
ill also look now for the comodore and make a sebset chart to show the correct connection

personaly i use an old b&w tv

simply hack the back and place the video carrier direct into the video amplifier

and adjust the horizontal/vertical hold for a picture lock
this way you can use any old b&w tv its cheep and there are a few solid state ones around 14 - 21 "
bypassing the rf stages
its one alternative

although the picture isnt so good as hidef tubes its still very usable

personaly if the lopt in a hires is ok i tend to replace bits to restore faulty monitors
ill make a hardware guide up to show monitor restoration
for the hi-res
do's and dont's
jens
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by jens »

I used a commodore monitor for my st and as well for the falcon. With a cable from the st-monitor output to scart it was no problem. Even sound worked fine. :)
Greetings, Jens

Falcon030 - TT030 - Mega/STe - 1040 STf - 520 ST+ - ST-Book - Milan 060
idrougge
Retro freak
Retro freak

Post by idrougge »

C= 1084s and their closest of kin, the Philips 8833, work just fine with Ataris, and just about everything else, too.

Depending on the specific model of 1084 (there were loads), you may need a different cable, all of which have been produced and sold at one time.

There are three common analogue inputs on 1084 monitors:
* SCART socket - in this case, you might already have the cable, or at least a fair chance to get one.
* DIN socket
* D9 socket
DoomMaster
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Re: Commodore 1084 monitor on ST?

Post by DoomMaster »

simonsunnyboy wrote:Hi ppl,

I'm wondeering if one of those old Amiga monitors will work ok on th ST?
I assume yes due to the general characteristics of the video signals but what about the connectors? What sort of connectors do those Amiga monitors have? A SCART socket? And what about the audio as the Amiga had extra audio sockets on the back afaik.
I'm interested as old Amiga monitors are much cheaper to pickup than real ST ones (beside SM124s which I don't need).
Any ideas?

cheers
The Amiga and Atari ST computers use the same six (6) signals. Those signals are the following: Red, Green, Blue, H-Sync, V-Sync, and Ground. The Commodore Amiga 1080 monitor will usually have a 9-pin D-type RGB-IN connector. The Commodore 1084 / 1084S monitors have a 6-pin DIN (round) RGB-IN connector. The pinouts for these monitors are readily available on the internet. The 1080 monitor is very high quality and has a really great picture, but it is harder to find because it is older then the 1084 / 1084S monitor. The 1080 was made in Japan by Hitachi and Toshiba. The 1084 / 1084S is a lower quality monitor, but has more features then the 1080 monitor. It was made by Magnavox. Both of these Amiga monitors also have S-Video (Chroma / Luma) inputs. The 1084S also has a Digital RGB video input and Stereo inputs. It also has two built-in speakers that actually sound good. If you have never hooked up an Amiga monitor to an Atari ST computer then you are in for a real treat because it looks really awesome. :D
Atari ST - The second best computer of the '80s
soviet
Atarian
Atarian

Post by soviet »

In fact i have a 1084 monitor atached to mi atari 520stfm, i simply solder under the board directly to the video port then atached a d9 male in the case (i make a pretty hole for that) then i make a d9 to din cable, the picture simple look perfect making all the soldering for this proyect realy worth every minute off efort ,it's take to about 8 hours (planing soldering & troubleshooting).
Elrond
Retro freak
Retro freak

Post by Elrond »

So, uh, how exactly would I hook up my Commodore 1084S monitor to my 520ST? Is there an easy way for someone that doesn't know crap about messing with wiring? A converter cable? Sorry for beating a dead horse.
Womble
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by Womble »

You need to make a cable to go between them. You wont have any luck finding a premade to buy in this day and age.
Half-Saint
Atarian
Atarian

Post by Half-Saint »

Actually I bought a premade cable on eBay about two years ago. It has an Atari monitor connector on one end, SCART on the other and there's a small box in the middle with 3 output connectors - yellow, red and white (video, stereo sound). I use it to connect my 1040STFM to 1084 via SCART directly and the picture is just great. The only thing missing are the small doors to cover the front potentiometers :D

Cheers
SainT

Return to “Hardware”