How easy is it to replace a floppy drive?

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Moderator Team

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

How easy is it to replace a floppy drive?

Post by Mug UK »

Total noob when it comes to swapping parts in from one STE into another but I've got a bit of a situation with my main STE that I use for doing all the PASTI images etc. When I did Papyrus, the disk images were corrupt - thought it was a little odd that Papyrus, Timeworks v1 & v2 were all coming up as either corrupted disks or the images created with MSA weren't working.

So I checked the disks out in my external drive and they (the Papyrus) disks are fine. So I dug out another STE, plugged it all in and looks like the mouse port on this one is stuffed (probably something I'd previously found out - hence it being shoved away in a corner!) - so I need to merge the two machines together :)

How easy is it to remove the working floppy drive from the STE with the dodgy mouse port and put it into the main PASTI machine?

I'm also off to the Retro Computer Museum open day tomorrow and could be picking up a spare floppy drive, in which case, I don't have to knacker up the spare one (but it'll need the mouse port fixing at some point) ....

.... any *easy* guides, with pics, appreciated for my own non-hardware skills :)
My main site: http://www.mug-uk.co.uk - slowly digging up the bits from my past (and re-working a few): Atari ST, Sega 8-bit (game hacks) and NDS (Music ripping guide).

I develop a free Word (for Windows) add-in that's available for Word 2007 upwards. It's a fix-it toolbox that will allow power Word users to fix document errors. You can find it at: http://www.mikestoolbox.co.uk
ppera

Re: How easy is it to replace a floppy drive?

Post by ppera »

Harder is to remove all shields than floppy drive itself. 3 screws hold it - accessible from bottom.
insanity
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by insanity »

Pretty easy... but why don't you just swap keyboards (that the mouse port is part of)? :D

After opening via round holed screws underneath, undo square holed screws (3 of them) underneath that hold the drive...
simply unplug power and ribbon cables and put other one in... may foul the case upon putting back together if drives are slightly different!

baz
Last edited by insanity on Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
insanity
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by insanity »

muguk wrote:I'm also off to the Retro Computer Museum open day tomorrow and could be picking up a spare floppy drive, in which case, I don't have to knacker up the spare one (but it'll need the mouse port fixing at some point) ....

.... any *easy* guides, with pics, appreciated for my own non-hardware skills :)
As for the mouse port... my guide might help on our very own wiki, assuming this is the prob...

http://www.atari-forum.com/wiki/index.p ... ts_Problem

Return to “Hardware”