Scheibenkleister II By Claus Brod - SCAN & Translation

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Moderator Team

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by DrCoolZic »

clausb wrote:Cool! So let me clarify the legal stuff and post the text to my site, and then we can start translating it!
Claus
I guess that the procedure is to
  • +first do an automatic translation,
    +then have a German native person to work at the translation to resolve not translated words and check if the meanings has not been changed
    +then have an English native person to rework the text.
Dont know if anybody looked at the "sample chapter" that I have converted. This would be a good indication of the work to be done.

The converted text should cary the technical information even if it miss the "puns" (words play) ...
Last edited by DrCoolZic on Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by DrCoolZic »

clausb wrote:...
Thanks for the note, I had not noticed this yet. I have contacted Steffen Engel (who's still the CBHD maintainer and used to run the website which hosted the latest version of CBHD) to find out more.
Claus
FYI Steffen Engel's homepage & ftp.uni-paderborn.de (version 5.02) are still both dead but http://www.funet.fi is alive.

But I have a question about CBHD: the CBHD502.TOS available on funet contains the executables but not the source. However the diskette that came with the book contains the sources of CBHD 38. Is CBHD now public domain and where can we find the sources for V502 ?

Might be useful for Mr ppera ...
clausb
Atarian
Atarian

Post by clausb »

At some point, I stopped publishing the current source code for CBHD. I remember that back then, I was pretty p***ed about folks copying the code without at least giving me credit. I still shared the code on request with people who I felt I could trust. Remember, back in the day, CBHD was still a commercial product (because it was part of the book).

After Steffen took over, I believe he followed pretty much the same approach.

Claus
Check out my recollections of a distant past at http://www.clausbrod.de/Atari.
ppera

Post by ppera »

DrCoolZic wrote:... Is CBHD now public domain and where can we find the sources for V502 ?
Might be useful for Mr ppera ...
Not much, likely. I make driver in pure assembler. This days adding XHDI support in assembler too (there is source in C by specs, but...).

What I would like to see is source for BigDOS. But I can not reach Reiner Seitel.
Maybe Claus can 'dig' him out :-).
It would be good to integrate BigDOS support with driver, to make usage and install simpler.
DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by DrCoolZic »

ppera wrote:Not much, likely. I make driver in pure assembler.
FYI CBHD is in assembler too :wink:
DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Re:

Post by DrCoolZic »

clausb wrote:A word of warning, however: The text is still copyrighted, and the copyright owner is Maxon. The good news is that I'm now in the process of obtaining the rights for web publication from Maxon, and if this works out as planned, I will publish the book online.
Anyone knows what is the status ? I just checked Claus web site and still seems like the situation did not really changed one year after ? Still copyrighted ?
Several Atari books are now becomming public domain see http://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.ph ... it=manship "made available by the kindness of Clayton Walnum" (dixit lp).
ppera

Re: Scheibenkleister II By Claus Brod - SCAN & Translation

Post by ppera »

What is with mailing with Claus Brod?
I ask, because that first step is usually the last when I try to contact some former Atari programmer, who is not anymore active.
Why is copyright so important? There will be not much interested people for that... Btw. on my site is complete Profibuch, last edition, some 1600 pages, total about 15MB in DJVU format. No link for now, you may guess why...

CBHD is in assembler? I believe, but if it has built in SCSIDRV module, then not pure ASM, as SCSIDRV is in C.
However, bigger problem is that CBHD is very old, and works not with newer IDE drives.
And, in meantime (from last sommer) I did lot of improvements in driver, added some new, not seen features (hard disk gaming support, all FAT16 partitions are DOS-GEMDOS compatible, FAT32 part. creation...), so need only to finish it and partitioner and publish. In any case, it was much harder than I thought before 2 years.
DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by DrCoolZic »

ppera wrote:What is with mailing with Claus Brod?
I was in contact with Claus one year ago and he was suppose to publish the book on his site but since no news...
Btw. on my site is complete Profibuch, last edition, some 1600 pages, total about 15MB in DJVU format. No link for now, you may guess why...
Can you pm a link? I would be interested
CBHD is in assembler? I believe, but if it has built in SCSIDRV module, then not pure ASM, as SCSIDRV is in C.
However, bigger problem is that CBHD is very old, and works not with newer IDE drives.
As you know my current interest is more on floppy and protection (but I am slowly starting to look at HD) and the book does have a lot of useful information.
And, in meantime (from last sommer) I did lot of improvements in driver, added some new, not seen features (hard disk gaming support, all FAT16 partitions are DOS-GEMDOS compatible, FAT32 part. creation...), so need only to finish it and partitioner and publish. In any case, it was much harder than I thought before 2 years
It wouls be great if you publish the work.
As you have seen on my other thread I intend to publish my work on FDC...
ppera

Post by ppera »

Here may DL parts and short txt file about:
http://www.ppDELLETEest.org/proDELLETEfb/

You know what to do with capital letters :D
DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by DrCoolZic »

ppera wrote:You know what to do with capital letters :D