PiStorm - Verilog support needed

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Moderator Team

Cyprian
10 GOTO 10
10 GOTO 10

PiStorm - Verilog support needed

Post by Cyprian »

Hi All,

What is PiStorm?
It is direct 68000 replacement, FPGA/Raspberry Pi based. Declared performance is around a 68030 70-80 MHz. And in the YT video below we see that the current performance is similar to 68040 25MHz.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECJJXFKdR-I
Thanks to RPI it could offer access to USB media storage and I guess also for the HDMI video out. And I guess more functionalities could be added.

The developers are really busy with Amiga version as the waiting list is over 1000! Therefore Verilog support for the ST version is highly welcomed. As far as I know, at that moment the bus mastering should be adopted for the ST.

In case of any questions, there is a dedicated chat #Atari on their Discord.

Discord channel: https://discord.com/invite/j6rPtzxaNW
Github: https://github.com/captain-amygdala/pistorm
Twiter: https://twitter.com/Claude1079
Mega ST 1 / 7800 / Portfolio / Lynx II / Jaguar / TT030 / Mega STe / 800 XL / 1040 STe / Falcon030 / 65 XE / 520 STm / SM124 / SC1435
DDD HDD / AT Speed C16 / TF536 / SDrive / PAK68/3 / Lynx Multi Card / LDW Super 2000 / XCA12 / SkunkBoard / CosmosEx / SatanDisk / UltraSatan / USB Floppy Drive Emulator / Eiffel / SIO2PC / Crazy Dots / PAM Net
Hatari / Steem SSE / Aranym / Saint
http://260ste.atari.org
Methanoid
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: PiStorm - Verilog support needed

Post by Methanoid »

PiSCSI for PiStorm offers super fast HDD
RTG is available for Amiga so prob could be made to work for ST like one of those addon boards MegaST had

If ST community wants it, it will need to help it happen ;-)
LukaszCJokiel
Atarian
Atarian

Post by LukaszCJokiel »

Also a PLCC to DIP converter is going to be needed to allow for PiStorm to be installed in STE machines.
Methanoid
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by Methanoid »

LukaszCJokiel wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 1:16 pm Also a PLCC to DIP converter is going to be needed to allow for PiStorm to be installed in STE machines.
Yeah didnt want to mention that.. I have an STE also.. Big issue for STs generally is so many motherboard revisions with CPUs in diff locations :cry:
joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by joska »

I'm afraid I don't have the required Verilog skills to do any development. But I do have a PiStorm on it's way, should arrive early next week. If I understand it correctly the FPGA firmware is updated from the Pi itself, in that case I can help with testing.
Jo Even

VanillaMiNT - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega STE - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64
Methanoid
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by Methanoid »

I have mine (arrived today) but no use for STE really
Cyprian
10 GOTO 10
10 GOTO 10

Post by Cyprian »

LukaszCJokiel wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 1:16 pm Also a PLCC to DIP converter is going to be needed to allow for PiStorm to be installed in STE machines.
guys, step by step, first try to adopt it to the ST
Mega ST 1 / 7800 / Portfolio / Lynx II / Jaguar / TT030 / Mega STe / 800 XL / 1040 STe / Falcon030 / 65 XE / 520 STm / SM124 / SC1435
DDD HDD / AT Speed C16 / TF536 / SDrive / PAK68/3 / Lynx Multi Card / LDW Super 2000 / XCA12 / SkunkBoard / CosmosEx / SatanDisk / UltraSatan / USB Floppy Drive Emulator / Eiffel / SIO2PC / Crazy Dots / PAM Net
Hatari / Steem SSE / Aranym / Saint
http://260ste.atari.org
Methanoid
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by Methanoid »

OK, insert it. It fails. You need Verilog fixing. Nobody is stepping up. It doesnt happen.

Issues around not fitting all ST models or STE's PLCC dont even come into it if you try with a DIP STFM (assuming its socketted also!)
stormy
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by stormy »

Lol I love it,
26/06/21 - Cyrprian "Here is info guys, please all help with verilog where possible"
- same day- 3 hrs later - Methanoid "OK, insert it. It fails. You need Verilog fixing. Nobody is stepping up. It doesnt happen."

Totally needs to be a meme :)
Falcon CT60e 060 - 256mb ram - Phantom bus and DSP accelerated // Atari TT - Thunder and Storm IDE 64mb ram - Lightning VME - USB LAN - ATI Mach64 2mb
Methanoid
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by Methanoid »

stormy wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 4:40 pm Lol I love it,
26/06/21 - Cyrprian "Here is info guys, please all help with verilog where possible"
- same day- 3 hrs later - Methanoid "OK, insert it. It fails. You need Verilog fixing. Nobody is stepping up. It doesnt happen."

Totally needs to be a meme :)
I think you misunderstand... what I am saying is that its not just a case of what Cyprian makes sound simple... it needs code, you cannot just "adapt it to the ST"
joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by joska »

For CPU + fast-RAM "all" you need is improvements to the FPGA code (Verilog), as Cyprian states. There would be very little or no need to adapt the emulation code. But for graphics "card", networking, disks etc then it's correct, this would need coding on the emulator-/Pi-side.
Jo Even

VanillaMiNT - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega STE - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64
Methanoid
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by Methanoid »

My understanding is it halts before that cos of some sort of bus errors... Similar to initial TF card issues I think... and a version of EmuTOS exists which removes that check... I'm sure if clever people (not me) got involved it could happen... and also needs some PCB design to move the CPU slot to somewhere where the Pi can fit under keyboard or in space in ST
shoggoth
Nature
Nature

Post by shoggoth »

May be more issues; iirc the ST use some funny type of bus access cycle for the ACIAs, for example. The Amiga doesn't, hence it may not be implemented.

Either way - PiStorm is a pretty cool device.
Ain't no space like PeP-space.
alexh
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by alexh »

All the information required to adapt PiSTorm is available on Exxos Forum in discussions where they are adapting the TF536 for the ST.

Presumably you're using the "generic" PiSTorm config? You certainly can't use any config with memory mapped peripherals or RAM.

PLCC to DIP adapters are available for PISTorm to make them fit A600 which might fit some STe's.

There are at least two other carrier boards identical to the b but in different form factors made by enthusiasts such as Edu Arana
joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by joska »

Methanoid wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 6:45 pm My understanding is it halts before that cos of some sort of bus errors...
In the Amiga the FC0/2/2 lines are not connected to anything, so they are simply not implemented in PiStorm. The ST OTOH - not being a games console with a keyboard but a "real" computer - does use them. These pins indicates whether the CPU is currently in supervisor or user mode, and if the current bus cycle is fetching data or instructions. The ST chipset use this information to restrict access to certain addresses (hardware registers) to supervisor access only.
Methanoid wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 6:45 pm and also needs some PCB design to move the CPU slot to somewhere where the Pi can fit under keyboard or in space in ST
The PiStorm PCB itself is very small, only slightly larger than the 68K itself. You could use a short flatcable to relocate the RPi if needed.
joska wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 6:41 pm For CPU + fast-RAM "all" you need is improvements to the FPGA code (Verilog), as Cyprian states. There would be very little or no need to adapt the emulation code.
After a second glance at the code I'm sure that this is incorrect. Some work is needed on the emulator to get the CPU working in other designs than the Amiga.
shoggoth wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 6:47 pm May be more issues; iirc the ST use some funny type of bus access cycle for the ACIAs, for example.
It's not funny at all, the ACIAs are using the 68000's async interface which I believe was added to the 68000 to support their line of 6800/6809 peripherals (like the ACIA). But I have no idea if this is used in the Amiga and how/if it's implemented in PiStorm.
Jo Even

Methanoid
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by Methanoid »

I dont claim to know but did wonder how far you could move things with relocator boards or cables.
joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by joska »

I guess that depends on the cable. But PATA cables with much higher bandwidth than an 8MHz 68000 can be very long, so I would assume that you can relocate the RPi to wherever you need inside an ST.
Jo Even

ijor
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by ijor »

I can't commit to any development right now. But if some Amiga developer has any questions regarding the 68K interface on the ST, I can surely help.
Fx Cast: Atari St cycle accurate fpga core
LukaszCJokiel
Atarian
Atarian

Post by LukaszCJokiel »

Yeah, the relocation would be a nice HW fix:
- on the PiStorm Side - DIP socket
- on the ST side - either DIP or PLCC
- old IDE cables to do the soldering

It fixes all the issues with ST/STE or even with Mongrel M4 Exxos board if needed
joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by joska »

joska wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 1:34 pmBut I do have a PiStorm on it's way, should arrive early next week. If I understand it correctly the FPGA firmware is updated from the Pi itself, in that case I can help with testing.
It arrived today, and is already up and running in my old A500. I need to play around with it some more before I test it in an ST.

And yes, the FPGA firmware is easily updated from the Pi itself, so there is no need for special tools to develop and/or test this.
Jo Even

alexh
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by alexh »

I don't have enough time to develop directly but I'm happy to chat about this. Either here or in the #atari PiSTorm discord channel.

Long time Atari user & Verilog HDL designer.
stormy
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by stormy »

Just wondering - you know how the PiStorm also emulates a graphics card for the Amiga for the HDMI output - would it also be able to do something like emulate a NOVA display for HDMI output?
Falcon CT60e 060 - 256mb ram - Phantom bus and DSP accelerated // Atari TT - Thunder and Storm IDE 64mb ram - Lightning VME - USB LAN - ATI Mach64 2mb
Methanoid
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by Methanoid »

It could if we had ST devs working on it... same as it does for Amiga, same as with HD images at super fast speeds
alexh
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by alexh »

The two API's the Amiga uses for RTG (P96 & CGX) are well documented. Many developers have written new drivers for new hardware over the last few years and open sourced both the hardware and software components. Making it easier to make a new virtual RTG card and driver. Is there any equivalent for Atari? What is the underlying graphics API? VDI? nVDI? Any open source gfx card hardware or hardware drivers for this API? anything like the Nova? I couldn't even tell you what Atari graphics cards exist or where to research them, when they were made let alone which was the latest. You almost need a historian to put it all together before anyone can start.

Do emulators such as Hatari emulate virtual Atari graphics cards? Is there an open source driver? UAE supports a basic virtual RTG gfx card and there is an open source amiga driver for it. I'm sure inspiration for RTG in MiniMig and PiSTorm
shoggoth
Nature
Nature

Post by shoggoth »

The Atari equivalent would be a VDI driver, for one of the VDI implementations available. There are a few options for that.
Ain't no space like PeP-space.

Return to “Hardware”