Panther/2 Adapter

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Moderator Team

MegaSTEarian
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: Panther/2 Adapter

Post by MegaSTEarian »

Nice project, way to go!
TheNameOfTheGame
Atari God
Atari God

Post by TheNameOfTheGame »

artik-wroc wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 6:13 am From the WRS website you have the driver for MiNT.
There is also a driver for STInG:
https://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.p ... 49#p409549
Ah thanks, good information there. It did mention in that thread that it needs the mach32 GAL. I am using the ET4000 GAL for my card. Did you ever get a version compiled for it?

Also in that thread was the MagiC driver. Does it also rely on the mach32 GAL or does it work with any of them?

And does the P2INT.PRG program work for these other drivers or just for the MiNT one?
Next possibility: unofficial version of the uip-tool for Panther/2 (Mach32). It works ! I checked :)
Super! That would be a very helpful tool.
The PnP card can also be set from the Atari level (although it does not work with all cards):
https://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=40017
That looks helpful, but I don't see a link to the PNP_ISA.PRG tool. Has it been released?
artik-wroc
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by artik-wroc »

P2INT.PRG is not necessary for the STInG driver, because it initializes the interrupt handling. STInG driver works by polling.
Tomorrow I will try to upload here a driver for ET4000 and a tool for PnP cards.
TheNameOfTheGame
Atari God
Atari God

@artik-wroc - thanks, will look forward to it.

I have a question on the MiNT driver. Page 18 of the manual says this:

Selection_339.png

Since the driver is freely available at the WRS site, I'm assuming the driver is no longer serialized for individual Panther/2 adapters. Is that correct?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
frank.lukas
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by frank.lukas »

For me it works fine with two Panther/2 and NE2000 cards ...
fancy Atari Musik anDA Dance "Agare Hinu Harukana" 1998 ATARI http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JX10fxb5eYE
TheNameOfTheGame
Atari God
Atari God

frank.lukas wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 8:52 am For me it works fine with two Panther/2 and NE2000 cards ...
Thanks, that helps to know.

Before trying out the network card, I need to make sure the PuPla/2 is set up correctly. I didn't build my PuPla so I was not sure what the GALs were programmed to since, as you can see, they are not marked clearly with any indication of the release level.

pupla_gals.jpg

The manual makes a point to say that a new AVICTRL (interrupt logic) GAL AVI5-06B was released that addressed a (rare) situation that can cause a bus error. So I took the GALs out and verified them with my logic programmer. Sure enough, the AVICTRL had not been updated. So I went ahead and programmed a new GAL. The other GAL PUFCTRL (buffering logic) did verify OK, but I went ahead and programmed a new one anyway so that they would match. So now my GAL set is updated.

pupla_new_gals.jpg

Next, I have to look at the jumper block as there are connections to make to the PAK and the Panther boards.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TheNameOfTheGame
Atari God
Atari God

After talking to frank.lukas and artik-wroc about the PuPla/2 jumpers I *think* I'm ready to set them up. I'm thankful to them for their help and advice. The reason for a little uncertainty is that I didn't have any jumpers installed previously and everything was working fine sans the Panther/2. Why didn't I have the jumpers installed? I just totally forgot about them tbh. :lol:

Anyway, the manual describes the PuPla jumpers this way. You can see J2 should be closed and J3 should be connected to the PAK. Why my PAK is working with the PuPla without these jumpers I have no idea. To add to my confusion, artik-wroc says he didn't close J2 either. Anyway, I'm going to set them here since the manual indicates it.

pupla_jumpers.png

J1 and J2 are jumpers (except J2 can also be a signal); J1 is set if a Panther board is installed above the PuPla and J2 is a PAK active jumper (or a signal if alternate operating mode is required on the PAK)

J3 and J4 are signals; J3 is for the PAK (connected through a 68 ohm resistor) and J4 is for the Panther/2.

pupla_jumpers_bmarkup.jpg

So I got the parts together.

pupla_jumpers_parts.jpg

I first made the J3 lead for the PAK. As you can see, it is connected to pin 20 of U1 through a 68 ohm resistor.

pupla_jumpers_j3.jpg

Then I made the signal lead for J4 that is to go to the Panther. Also you see I have J2 closed to indicate PAK is active and not the 68000. I left J1 open for the moment since I will test the changes before installing the Panther and moving on to the network card.

pupla_jumpers_J2J3j4.jpg

So putting everything back together I booted the system and it's working fine. I ran all the Gembench tests to check.

pupla_test.jpg
pupla_boot.jpg

So now I can move on to the Panther/2 and the network card.
TheNameOfTheGame
Atari God
Atari God

I reinstalled the Panther/2 with the ET4000 card to check that everything worked before moving on to the NIC (also closed the J1 jumper on the PuPla to tell it a Panther was there). I didn't activate the VGA yet as I just wanted to make sure nothing crashed or smoked. The ribbon cables are of length 18" (45cm). The BOM in the manual specifies 40cm cables but does say up to 60cm can be used so it should be good.

panther2_retest.jpg

Well, after a couple of minutes I got my smoke. :lol: Well actually, not much smoke, but a loud pop and a bright flash. It was pretty spectacular for what it was.

After the pop, the computer was still working so I turned it off and evaluated everything. After a quick inspection I found the culprit. On the Panther slot adapter, one of the tantalum caps had blown its top....literally.

panther2_blown_cap.jpg

I got the meter out and checked where the cap was in the circuit and saw it was connected to the max232. I grabbed a pinout from the web and determined it was at the voltage doubler of the chip.

panther2_max232_pinouts_markup.jpg

Well, with polarized caps when they blow it is almost always because they are put in reversed. Usually I put the marked leg of the capacitor on the square pad. But after looking at a (spare) bare Panther/2 pcb it was obvious that I shouldn't have put them in that way. They were backwards from what I had assumed.

So I replaced all 5 tantalum capacitors with correct polarity and the max232 chip just to be sure. Then I put everything back together to start again. Everything worked well this time and I got the desktop in at 800x600 256 colors. I had the system up in the past running the Panther/2, but I guess I never ran it long enough under power for the cap to blow before.

panther2_800x600x256.jpg

Running gembench and checking the power draw it was maxing out a little over 24 watts total.

panther2__vga_watts.jpg

So with everything stabilized, I moved on to the NIC.

panther2_nic.jpg

After booting to the desktop (without STiNG installed), I ran the test program HT2ENE.PRG that artik-wroc provided and got the following results. I'm not really sure what to be looking for here though.

panther2_HT2ENE.jpg
Last edited by TheNameOfTheGame on Mon May 03, 2021 11:21 pm, edited 4 times in total.
TheNameOfTheGame
Atari God
Atari God

Next, I copied over STiNG (setting up the ROUTE.TAB and DEFAULT.CFG files beforehand) to the ultrasatan with the new driver artik-wroc made and booted the system. STiNG loaded and the NIC driver was installed.

panther2_sting.jpg

I went to the Port Setup CPX after the desktop appeared and set the values for the Addressing.

However, when I clicked on the popup to go to the General settings to activate the NIC, it locked up the computer as you can see below. And the freeze is reproducible. So something is not working correctly. Maybe the plug and play card is not set up right?

panther2_sting_ports.jpg
artik-wroc
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by artik-wroc »

TheNameOfTheGame wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 6:13 pm I'm not really sure what to be looking for here though.
MAC address :)
TheNameOfTheGame wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 6:51 pmMaybe the plug and play card is not set up right?
Yes, I had the same problem with the PnP card. Tomorrow I will send the PnP program, today I had other things.
TheNameOfTheGame
Atari God
Atari God

artik-wroc wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 7:55 pm
TheNameOfTheGame wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 6:13 pm I'm not really sure what to be looking for here though.
MAC address :)
Oh ok, that is right there at the top then. I was making things more complicated than they were, trying to interpret the values to find out things like the base address and irq.
TheNameOfTheGame wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 6:51 pmMaybe the plug and play card is not set up right?
Yes, I had the same problem with the PnP card. Tomorrow I will send the PnP program, today I had other things.
Nice, I'll look forward to it. Thanks for your help and for the STiNG driver also. :cheers:
frank.lukas
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by frank.lukas »

Why is the NE2000 Panther stuff depending to a ET4000 ?

I have a MACH32. The original MiNT NE2000 driver from Thorsten Lang NE2000PT.XIF works fine no matter what a Graphiccard GAL is in use for ET4, MACH32 and MACH64 in the Panther/2 Adapter.
fancy Atari Musik anDA Dance "Agare Hinu Harukana" 1998 ATARI http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JX10fxb5eYE
artik-wroc
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by artik-wroc »

Each GAL is a different memory address. Address recognition could be added (I added it to the SMC driver) but it was faster / easier that way.
TheNameOfTheGame
Atari God
Atari God

Big thanks to artik-wroc who sent me the PnP tool to set the base address and irq on the nic. After setting the tool up, I ran it from the auto folder before STiNG loaded and it found and enabled the card.

panther2_nic_enable.jpg

After this was done, the stngport.cpx allowed me to set the General tab parameters and I saved them.

panther2_stngport_cpx.jpg

No problems after that. I was able to ping my PC and also the PC could ping the Atari.

panther2_ping.jpg

Litchi worked to transfer files from the PC to the Atari. The speed was very good. I set the threading value to 10 in STiNG's default.cfg file.

panther2_litchi.jpg

So that is it. The Panther/2 works with the VGA and Ethernet cards. This project is done! :cheers:

panther2_done.jpg
frank.lukas
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by frank.lukas »

What about a case for all the Stuff ?
TheNameOfTheGame
Atari God
Atari God

A case would be nice. :lol:

Actually, I do have an XT case that the computer will go in to. It's the one from Germany from the other thread. That is next now that I have everything functional. I would like to put a lightning board in, but they are on backorder right now. Additionally I will have to replace the 90W picopsu with a 160W one since there will be at least a floppy and cdrom in the final configuration.

One thing I am thinking about is the mechanical stress of having the PAK tower sitting on the mainboard. As you know, directly underneath the mainboard there is a narrow space between the mainboard and the metal bottom cover (the one that has the cardboard on it). So there is really not much support for the weight. Even though the flexing is minimal, over time it could be an issue. So I am considering the best way to support that area of the mainboard.
mikro
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by mikro »

Not that I own this intersting hardware but what about all those magic tools and drivers? Are they available somewhere? Somebody else could have the same desire to install all of this, too.
TheNameOfTheGame
Atari God
Atari God

mikro wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 7:17 am Not that I own this intersting hardware but what about all those magic tools and drivers? Are they available somewhere? Somebody else could have the same desire to install all of this, too.

artik-wroc has threads on the forum for the STiNG driver and the PnP tool although he hasn't released the PnP tool publicly as far as I know.
artik-wroc wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 6:13 am From the WRS website you have the driver for MiNT.
There is also a driver for STInG:
https://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.p ... 49#p409549

Next possibility: unofficial version of the uip-tool for Panther/2 (Mach32). It works ! I checked :)

The PnP card can also be set from the Atari level (although it does not work with all cards):
https://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=40017

And this is as a curiosity:
https://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.p ... 73#p409373
artik-wroc
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by artik-wroc »

Everything will be available.
What sense would all of this make if nobody was using it.
elliot
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Post by elliot »

What is the update rate like at those colour depths/res?
TheNameOfTheGame
Atari God
Atari God

elliot wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 5:57 pm What is the update rate like at those colour depths/res?
It's perfectly fine. I can't tell a difference between the stock desktop and the extended resolution performance wise.
artik-wroc
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by artik-wroc »

UIPTOOL - version working with Panther / 2, unfortunately only GAL Mach32 currently.
I put it with the permission of the author (Thanks Mariusz).
uippth2.zip

Return to “Hardware”