HDmenu game launcher

All about the serious stuff.

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Moderator Team

TheNameOfTheGame
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Re: HDmenu game launcher

Post by TheNameOfTheGame »

simonsunnyboy wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 9:38 am It depends on the persons providing the games.
I'd prefer to see a clear agreement/statement in such a games-with-menu collection to avoid the usual conflicts that happened in the past.

The menu itself is classic Freeware so it is ok for me.

Make sure fallout on any blame games does not go into my direction though :P
Good to hear your thoughts on it. For what it's worth, I'm just going to focus on the launcher for now. I'll let others decide if they want to make up some collections.

:cheers:

P.S. If anyone does come up with a collection, please post here to let us know. Be interested to see what they came up with.
TheNameOfTheGame
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

krs wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 8:32 pm While messing around with the pre-prepared CSV file, I saw that Bubble Bobble's executable is set to "C:\GAMES\B\BUBBLEBO\RUNMEN.TOS". It should of course be RUNME.TOS there.
Actually, that is not an error. If you look at the README.TXT file for the game you can see that RUNME.TOS is for PAL refresh rate and RUNMEN.TOS is for NTSC refresh rate. So choose the one for your system (mine is NTSC, hence the RUNMEN.TOS). There are many games from Ppera that have multiple exectuables for various reasons. This is a good example of that.

Code: Select all

Bubble Bobble    for Atari ST

HAGA  version -  works on  ST(E), Mega ST(E),
TT, Falcon, any TOS.  1MB RAM min .

By pressing M at HW detect screen may enter
machine setting option - only with Mega STE,
TT, Falcon.

Exit to Desktop, savestates options.
Unlimited lives option.

Use RUNME.TOS for PAL version (50 Hz screen).
RUNMEN.TOS for NTSC version (60 Hz screen).
Game speed may differ if using not v. for actual
refresh rate.

PP, May  2014. June 2021 .

In fact, the launcher lets you test various executables without changing the CSV file. Simply press SHIFT-ENTER instead of ENTER to launch the game. This will present a selection list of all executables in the game directory and you may choose which one to launch.

hdmenu2-selectexec.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
krs
Atari freak
Atari freak

Post by krs »

TheNameOfTheGame wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 1:51 pm
krs wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 8:32 pm While messing around with the pre-prepared CSV file, I saw that Bubble Bobble's executable is set to "C:\GAMES\B\BUBBLEBO\RUNMEN.TOS". It should of course be RUNME.TOS there.
Actually, that is not an error. If you look at the README.TXT file for the game you can see that RUNME.TOS is for PAL refresh rate and RUNMEN.TOS is for NTSC refresh rate. So choose the one for your system (mine is NTSC, hence the RUNMEN.TOS). There are many games from Ppera that have multiple exectuables for various reasons. This is a good example of that.

Bubble Bobble    for Atari ST

HAGA  version -  works on  ST(E), Mega ST(E),
TT, Falcon, any TOS.  1MB RAM min .

By pressing M at HW detect screen may enter
machine setting option - only with Mega STE,
TT, Falcon.

Exit to Desktop, savestates options.
Unlimited lives option.

Use RUNME.TOS for PAL version (50 Hz screen).
RUNMEN.TOS for NTSC version (60 Hz screen).
Game speed may differ if using not v. for actual
refresh rate.

PP, May  2014. June 2021 .

In fact, the launcher lets you test various executables without changing the CSV file. Simply press SHIFT-ENTER instead of ENTER to launch the game. This will present a selection list of all executables in the game directory and you may choose which one to launch.

hdmenu2-selectexec.png
Ah I see. I think I have an older release then because mine's readme doesn't mention that and I only have the RUNME.TOS file. So ignore that then. :)
TheNameOfTheGame
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

New version 2.1.0 up in the first post. This release has the following changes/improvements:

1) Database parsing rewritten/optimized. Loading of CSV now up to 3 times faster.

2) Can now press <space bar> at boot to skip boot timeout counter.

3) Boot timeout can now be turned off altogether in the F2 Config menu with new boot timeout option "off"

4) Fixed bug for screenshot display routine checking byte 2 instead of byte 3 of the NEO file for the rez byte. This means any Med rez screenshots with the old rez flag position will no longer be displayed properly. Attached is a zip with corrected Med rez screenshots to replace the old ones with.

This change was needed since Hatari (development version) now allows screen dumps in NEO format which makes it very convenient to get new images for the launcher (Thanks Hatari dev team!). However, since the Hatari NEO screen dump correctly uses byte 3 for the rez flag, the hdmenu launcher needed fixing.

5) Other minor bug fixes.

medrez-updated.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TheNameOfTheGame
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

New version 2.1.1.

Fixed bug when changing from a category list back to full list. Thanks to @Kroll for the bug report!

hdmenu-2.1.1-JAN232024.zip
TheNameOfTheGame
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Just a quick note that was brought up in another forum.

Part of the CSV parsing optimizations is that the HDMENU.CSV file now requires Atari line endings (CRLF - same as windows endings).

So if you get the message at start:

Database Init - Please Wait!

CSV has wrong line endings

Press any key to exit
Then you'll need to convert your HDMENU.CSV file to Atari line endings (or send me your file in PM and I will convert it for you). Converting from unix (LF) or mac (CR) line endings ony takes a moment and can be done in a text editor.
Some programs that can do the conversions:

Atari - QED editor
Windows - notepad++
Linux - "unix2dos HDMENU.CSV" from command prompt

If you don't see the above message at start, then your HDMENU.CSV file already has Atari line endings and you can disregard this.

I always try not to impose restrictions on users of the program, so apologies for the inconvience. If it too much of a bother for people, please lt me know. I can always add code in to account for other line endings but it would in-turn slow down the CSV parsing marginally.
simonsunnyboy

Post by simonsunnyboy »

I advise to also allow LF only as this the Unix standard. It was a clear decision on my part to support this in the parser to avoid exactly such feedback as above.
Simon Sunnyboy/Paradize - http://paradize.atari.org/

Stay cool, stay Atari!

1x2600jr, 1x1040STFm, 1x1040STE 4MB+TOS2.06+SatanDisk, 1xF030 14MB+FPU+NetUS-Bee
TheNameOfTheGame
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Well, yes, after thinking a bit I agree. It goes against the philosophy of not restricting users so I've changed it to allow both line endings now. Really no speed difference from the previous version which is nice.

So users can continue using their existing HDMENU.CSV files with no change by using this new version 2.1.2.

hdmenu-2.1.2-JAN242024.zip
TheNameOfTheGame
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

One of the features of HDmenu is the ability to designate any game as a "favorite". This allows quick access to your favorite games without having to scroll through a list of all the titles. So how does the "favorites" feature work?

There are two ways, one is done graphically from within the launcher itself and the other is a manual method.

For the graphical method we'll start with a database with no favorites assigned.

hdmenu2-favoritesstart.png

To see your favorites, press the F5 key. Here after pressing F5 we can see there are no favorites assigned.

hdmenu2-nofavorites.png

To designate a game as a favorite, press the <Space Bar> with the game highlighted. This will toggle the game's favorite status on/off. Here we have designated some games as favorites. You can see that a "*" is now shown before the games' names to indicate they are favorites.

hdmenu2-favoriteselected.png

Now pressing F5 we can filter the list to show only the favorites. Here we see the list has changed to indicate this. When viewing the favorites list, everything works the same as with the full list; games can be launched, the list scrolled, screenshots can be viewed, text files read, save states launched, etc. If at any time you press the ESC key you will will exit the favorites list and return to the main full list.

(for advanced users, keep in mind the "favorites" features also works within Category lists)

hdmenu2-favorites.png

If you want to clear a favorite, press the <Space Bar> and it will no longer be a favorite. Here we have cleared the favorites status for the game "Wolfchild".

hdmenu2-favoriteclear.png

If you want to clear all your favorites at once, press Shift-F5. You will be prompted to make sure you really want to continue.

hdmenu2-favoriteclearall.png

After confirming with the 'y' key, all the favorites in the list will be cleared.

hdmenu2-favoritescleared.png

To retain any changes to the list you might have made, the database can be saved using the F7 key. Responding with 'y' to the prompt will save your new CSV file so that any changes to list will be active the next time the launcher is run.

hdmenu2-favoritesave.png

The manual method to designate a game as a favorite involves editing the CSV file directly. Using a text editor, place a "*" character immediately before the game name and the next time the launcher is run, the game will show up as a favorite. In this snippet from a CSV file, you can see the game "Wolfchild" has been manually designated as a favorite by placing a "*" before the name.

Wizmo;C:\GAMES\W\WIZMO\RUNME.TOS
Wizz;C:\GAMES\W\WIZZ\RUNME.TOS
*Wolfchild;C:\GAMES\W\WOLFCHIL\RUNME.TOS
Wolfenstein 3D;C:\GAMES\W\WOLF3D\START.TOS
Wolfpack;C:\GAMES\W\WOLFPACK\RUNME.TOS
Wonderboy in Monsterland;C:\GAMES\W\WONDBM\START.TOS
Wonderland;C:\GAMES\W\WONDERL\RUNME.TOS
To summarize, the "favorites" feature is a convenient way to quickly see a list of your most-liked games where they can be quickly launched. I hope you find the feature useful.
fiveofive
Atari freak
Atari freak

Post by fiveofive »

Thank you for this nice tool. From the idea to the realization - awesome! :-)

I wonder, anyone got this to work with HD Driver and TOS 1.02 on real hardware?
Whatever I tried, I get stuck with 0% at the database init part. The CSV is valid as it works fine with ICD driver in TOS 1.02 or HD Driver in TOS 2.06 or Hatari.
Eero Tamminen
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by Eero Tamminen »

If you use ASCI HD image file with same setup as on your real HW, can you reproduce the issue in Hatari?

On Linux (e.g. in Windows WSL) you can use this script to create HD images from directory contents: https://git.tuxfamily.org/hatari/hatari ... d-image.sh
TheNameOfTheGame
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Just tried with Hatari and HDDriver 12.03 and it loaded the database ok. Don't have any actual TOS 1.02 hardware to test on though.

What version of HDDriver are you using? Another thing is I seem to remember TOS 1.02 having some dodgy hard drive code that they cleaned up a bit in 1.04.
TheNameOfTheGame
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

New version of HDmenu available in first post.

Changes:

- Text viewer can optionally use Medium Rez for clearer text. Set in F2 config menu.
- FONTS directory location can now be specified in HDMENU.CSV.
- MUSIC directory location can now be specified in HDMENU.CSV.
- A default Category to display at start can be specified in HDMENU.CSV.
- HDmenu now recognizes if run from AUTO folder or Desktop.
- When selecting Music or Fonts with Shift-F2/Shift-F3 the list will jump to the current SND/FNT file if one is active.
- Added support for Apollo V4SA computer.

Enjoy!
ryo
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by ryo »

Hello Is there a distribution like ags for the Amiga on the Atari st? Thanks
MasterOfGizmo
Atari God
Atari God

Post by MasterOfGizmo »

Yes, please! I'd like something that a new Atari/FPGA user can just copy onto SD card and experience Atari ST gaming nicely presented out of the box.
MISTeryNano, tiny FPGA based STE: https://github.com/Harbaum/MiSTeryNano
TheNameOfTheGame
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

ryo wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 6:38 am Hello Is there a distribution like ags for the Amiga on the Atari st? Thanks
Hmm, never heard of AGS.
ryo
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by ryo »

MasterOfGizmo
Atari God
Atari God

Post by MasterOfGizmo »

I think what I'd really like to see is some curated collection. Something that not simply contains thousands of games but instead e.g. only the best/most famous/impressive 100 or so. These nicely categorized with some screenshots and the like ...
miguelangelrojo
Atarian
Atarian

Post by miguelangelrojo »

Hello, I use the hdmenu on a 220 mb image, about 162 games with the screenshots. Neo, the games I like the most, is simply incredible. Thanks for all the work, both you and Simonsunnyboy, Pera and some others for creating - preparing the games and being able to enjoy them, improve the quality of the st when starting them if you only want to play, most of the things work for me, fonts and the music, neocrome, perfect.
Forgive my English, I use a translator
TheNameOfTheGame
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

MasterOfGizmo wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 2:23 pm I think what I'd really like to see is some curated collection. Something that not simply contains thousands of games but instead e.g. only the best/most famous/impressive 100 or so. These nicely categorized with some screenshots and the like ...
Well, that would be easy for someone to do, but how to come up with the list? Those best/favorite type of lists are always subjective and any one list will probably never make everyone happy :D .
miguelangelrojo wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 12:54 am Hello, I use the hdmenu on a 220 mb image, about 162 games with the screenshots. Neo, the games I like the most, is simply incredible. Thanks for all the work, both you and Simonsunnyboy, Pera and some others for creating - preparing the games and being able to enjoy them, improve the quality of the st when starting them if you only want to play, most of the things work for me, fonts and the music, neocrome, perfect.
Forgive my English, I use a translator
Thank you very much. I'm glad you're finding the launcher useful! :cheers:
MasterOfGizmo
Atari God
Atari God

Post by MasterOfGizmo »

TheNameOfTheGame wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 1:21 pm Those best/favorite type of lists are always subjective and any one list will probably never make everyone happy :D .
While that is true, I'd assume that there's still a lot of games that most people here would agree are outstanding.
Mikerochip
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by Mikerochip »

Everyone always wants Dungeon master at the top... But imho it has to be Civilization! :mrgreen:

:megaphone: Civ is the best game on the ST, hands down :P

Joking aside, I'd be in favour of the full list of games, with, say, a top 100 style list favourited, so, you can browse through them all, or instantly switch to the fav. list.

Best of all worlds!
TheNameOfTheGame
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Mikerochip wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 8:39 pm Everyone always wants Dungeon master at the top... But imho it has to be Civilization! :mrgreen:

:megaphone: Civ is the best game on the ST, hands down :P

Joking aside, I'd be in favour of the full list of games, with, say, a top 100 style list favourited, so, you can browse through them all, or instantly switch to the fav. list.

Best of all worlds!
You have a killer list already. Are there ones you are missing?
Mikerochip
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by Mikerochip »

My favourites are just the ones I used to own!

I never updated my spreadsheet to the new format, I think, is my biggest problem.
TheNameOfTheGame
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Mikerochip wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2024 8:29 am My favourites are just the ones I used to own!
I understand. Those are the ones I have the most nostalgia for. :D
I never updated my spreadsheet to the new format, I think, is my biggest problem.
What new format is this? Any CSV file all the way back to the original Hard Disk Tool should work. I think there was a couple small changes to the Specification Fields during the beta testing prior to v1.00. Is that what you are talking about? Thanks for the beta testing btw! :cheers:

Return to “Applications”