All about the serious stuff.

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Moderator Team

joysfera
Atari freak
Atari freak

PARCP source code released

Post by joysfera »

Hi all,

this is a late Christmas or perhaps early New Year gift to all interested programmers - PARCP has been, after almost 20 years of development, released as open source under the GPL. I am releasing it not because I am giving up on developing it - my main aim is to help those that want to create PARCP ports for new platforms like Amiga, Archimedes or Firebee. I also want to protect the investments of people into PARCP-USB - with PARCP source code available they can rest assured that the hardware is not left unsupported. Actually we may soon see quite new and exciting development - not only native GUIs for Atari GEM, MS-Windows or OS X, but PARCP can even evolve into a full networking solution if interested guys update say mintnet plip.xif driver to talk to PARCP-USB adapter. It's up to you - patches/pull requests are welcome :-)

The full source code is available on my GitHub.

Enjoy and have a great new year 2016!

Petr
joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Re: PARCP source code released

Post by joska »

Thanks Petr!

Maybe I should try to get it working on my Milan :)
Jo Even

VanillaMiNT - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega STE - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64
joysfera
Atari freak
Atari freak

Post by joysfera »

Right, I forgot about Milan, sorry. Every Atari compatible computer should be covered first before spending time on various less interesting platforms :-) Not sure how Hades and Medusa are dealing with the Atari parallel port compatibility - if they implement MFP and Yamaha registers or not.
joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by joska »

The Hades has real MFP/YM chips, so I believe PARCP should already work on these. The Milan OTOH use a common IO-chip from the PC AT era.
Jo Even

VanillaMiNT - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega STE - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64
joysfera
Atari freak
Atari freak

Post by joysfera »

Then it might be interesting to try copying the PC routines in PARCP and use them on Milan. That would involve changing of just a few #define.
joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by joska »

Yes, those routines could be usable with some modifications. The Milan's Super I/O supports both ECP and EPP. I'll have a look at this in the near future.
Jo Even

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by joska »

Having a look at the sources now. The MiNT makefile refers to a tool I'm not familiar with, xgen. Is this just a renamed gen.ttp or a replacement of some sort?
Jo Even

joysfera
Atari freak
Atari freak

Post by joysfera »

I can't remember, sorry. Though Micro (Miro Kropacek) wrote me that he had rewritten the routines to "normal" gas so it would be worth getting rid of the xgen. I'll see if I can integrate his changes, or you can ask him for the rewritten asm files.
mikro
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by mikro »

Yup, changed to vasm here: https://github.com/mikrosk/parcp ... but beware, it's not complete, there's couple of problems to solve first, related mainly to the custom built ncurses Peter has been using.
joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by joska »

I was just about to use vasm myself, as I have to crosscompile gcc-code. I thought vasm understood Devpac syntax?
Jo Even

joysfera
Atari freak
Atari freak

Post by joysfera »

The 'vasm' indeed eats my .asm file and produces an .o without complaints. Now just to find out if the resulting binary does work OK or not.

parcp68k.o : parcp68k.asm
vasm -quiet -Faout -o parcp68k.o -x parcp68k.asm

What a cool program: http://sun.hasenbraten.de/vasm/

Return to “Applications”