All about the serious stuff.

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Moderator Team

Zee
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Is it possible to read/write Amiga formatted disks on Atari

Post by Zee »

Hi,

I have both an Atari 1040 and an Amiga 500. and I'm wondering if there are some way I can read or write Amiga formatted disks on my Atari?

//Zee
keili
Atari God
Atari God

Post by keili »

Can Amiga read and write a 720 kb MS-DOS-disk? Never had one, so i don't know. The disk would work on Atari.
tobe
Atari God
Atari God

Post by tobe »

You must use a software on the amiga, it can read read a lots of disk filesystems, but i can't remember the name :wink: !
At least, it exist !
step 1: introduce bug, step 2: fix bug, step 3: goto step 1.
Zee
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Post by Zee »

keili wrote:Can Amiga read and write a 720 kb MS-DOS-disk? Never had one, so i don't know. The disk would work on Atari.
The Amiga can read and write 720 kb MS-DOS disks, but only with extra software as CrossDOS or dos2dos... (Which I don't have on a disk my Amiga can read.)

So I'm wodering if I can use my Atari to copy such a utility to a Amigaformatted disk...

// Zee
Zee
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Post by Zee »

tobe wrote:You must use a software on the amiga, it can read read a lots of disk filesystems, but i can't remember the name :wink: !
At least, it exist !
The problem I have is that I can't get programs onto my Amiga if I can't write disks it can read. :cry:

// Zee
tobe
Atari God
Atari God

Post by tobe »

Linux have support for Amiga FFS, give it a try !
Zee
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Post by Zee »

tobe wrote:Linux have support for Amiga FFS, give it a try !
Is there a Linux version for the 1040 ST? I do have a IDE-interface and a hard drive attached to it.

Or can Linux for the Intel x86 world write amiga-disks? I thought that it was a hardware issue that stops a PC diskdrive from reading a Amiga disk.

// Zee
tobe
Atari God
Atari God

Post by tobe »

Linux will be able to access a lot of filesystems from a lot of platforms, and of course on pc systems !
But i can't help about hardware issues, sorry, did you tried it youself ?
Zee
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Post by Zee »

tobe wrote:Linux will be able to access a lot of filesystems from a lot of platforms, and of course on pc systems !
But i can't help about hardware issues, sorry, did you tried it youself ?
I haven't tried it myself yet, but now I've got a reason for trying out Linux :D

//Zee
tobe
Atari God
Atari God

Post by tobe »

Pcs, STs ang Amigas talking togethers, i love it :wink: !
Zee
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Post by Zee »

tobe wrote:Pcs, STs ang Amigas talking togethers, i love it :wink: !
Me too... Now I need a way to make my ZX Spectrum 48k talk to my Commodore 128, and make both of them talk to the Atari and Amiga.

(The C128 already uses an old 486PC as harddrive :))

// Zee
tobe
Atari God
Atari God

Post by tobe »

Great ! What a nice network you will get :wink: !
Methanoid
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by Methanoid »

CrossDOS comes with Amiga Workbench 2.1 (might even be with 2.0) so you ought to have it already.

The common format is PC DD (720k) which ST can read with no software but Amiga needs CrossDos. Why do you want to make two machines talk when they "hated" each other so much ?? :wink:
tobe
Atari God
Atari God

Post by tobe »

Maybe because they "hated" each other so much :wink: !
Gryzor
Gryzorator
Gryzorator

Post by Gryzor »

Well, to get you started: use Cloanto's Amiga ForEver (available at your nearest http://www.cloanto.com, I guess. I have it myself, tho) and you can transfer files to your Amiga over a null modem cable. Actually what this really nice program does is make the Amiga drive(s) (even HDD I think) appear as normal drives on your Windows Explorer. Then you can copy CrossDos over to a floppy and move from there on...

Hope that helps,
Gryzor
Reality is that, which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. --P.K.Dick

.:.
http://gryzor.info

Zee
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Post by Zee »

Methanoid wrote:CrossDOS comes with Amiga Workbench 2.1 (might even be with 2.0) so you ought to have it already.
Nope, I have Kickstart 1.3, and WB 1.3...
Methanoid wrote:The common format is PC DD (720k) which ST can read with no software but Amiga needs CrossDos. Why do you want to make two machines talk when they "hated" each other so much ?? :wink:
I was thinking of using the Atari to write .adf-files (Amiga disk-images) to disk, as I have only a "standard" A500 with one drive. And my Atari have a hard drive etc...

Plus it's always fun to make different computers understand each other.

//Zee
Zee
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Post by Zee »

Gryzor wrote:Well, to get you started: use Cloanto's Amiga ForEver (available at your nearest http://www.cloanto.com, I guess. I have it myself, tho) and you can transfer files to your Amiga over a null modem cable. Actually what this really nice program does is make the Amiga drive(s) (even HDD I think) appear as normal drives on your Windows Explorer. Then you can copy CrossDos over to a floppy and move from there on...

Hope that helps,
Gryzor
I was hoping for a free solution, but Amiga Forever seems to be worth the money.

// zee
oesii
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by oesii »

The Amiga uses a non-PC, non-Atari and proprietary disk drive. I think it's 800k instead of the standard 720 as well. That non-standard disk drive has been a bane for years, there's creative workarounds but nothing is as easy as the ST :)

I just got an Amiga 1000 and it's a great machine but since it's such an early model I've given up hope trying to get it to talk to my PC's. The 500-2000 are much more expandable and can communicate with PC's thorugh null modem cables.

Zee wrote:
Methanoid wrote:CrossDOS comes with Amiga Workbench 2.1 (might even be with 2.0) so you ought to have it already.
Nope, I have Kickstart 1.3, and WB 1.3...
Methanoid wrote:The common format is PC DD (720k) which ST can read with no software but Amiga needs CrossDos. Why do you want to make two machines talk when they "hated" each other so much ?? :wink:
I was thinking of using the Atari to write .adf-files (Amiga disk-images) to disk, as I have only a "standard" A500 with one drive. And my Atari have a hard drive etc...

Plus it's always fun to make different computers understand each other.

//Zee
Zee
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Post by Zee »

Thanks för the replys guys...

Too bad it seems that I can't use my ST to write Amiga disks. Well, I'll have to try some other way.

But it was good to see that there was so much Amiga knowledge in here... I always thought that Atarians didn't use (or like) the Amiga and vice versa.

I just have to tell you all that I got more good information about the amiga and transfering files to the Amiga here than on any of the Amiga forums I tried.

You guys rock! :!:

// Zee
My other computer is an Amiga, Sinclar or Spectravideo
Gryzor
Gryzorator
Gryzorator

Post by Gryzor »

Zee wrote:
But it was good to see that there was so much Amiga knowledge in here... I always thought that Atarians didn't use (or like) the Amiga and vice versa.
Well, strange, ain't it? I've thought about it myself. Dunno about others, however my own knowledge about Amiga comes from the afteryears, that is around now; in the old days friends had Amigas but didn't care to know much more than play games, and now that I'm interested in retro in general I cared to learn a bit about how it actually works...
I just have to tell you all that I got more good information about the amiga and transfering files to the Amiga here than on any of the Amiga forums I tried.
Maybe you tried the wrong Amiga fora, I don't know!
I was hoping for a free solution, but Amiga Forever seems to be worth the money.
Well, if you can afford it, it's a great program (if a bit unstable). If you can't, heck, it's Amiga, so drop me a line (ooh, second time I mention warez in this forum!) :D

Cheers
Gryzor
Reality is that, which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. --P.K.Dick

.:.
http://gryzor.info

manicx
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by manicx »

Actually, you don't need Cloanto. Cloanto is ripping you off. Everything they have there except the Amiga ROM images are freeware. This software (PC2Amiga) is available in Aminet. All you need is a Serial or Parallel cable and you are ready to go... Even better, all you need is an Amiga with a PCMCIA slot, a common 3Com network card and a cheap PC network card....
Zee
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Post by Zee »

manicx wrote:This software (PC2Amiga) is available in Aminet. All you need is a Serial or Parallel cable and you are ready to go...
The problem with PC2Amiga is that it needs Amiga OS 2 or better, I'm running 1.3 on my A500.
manicx wrote:Even better, all you need is an Amiga with a PCMCIA slot, a common 3Com network card and a cheap PC network card....
Again, this will not happen on my A500 :(

// Zee
oesii
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by oesii »

lol, I know how you feel. Everyone has great solutions for hooking up Amigas to PCs but they are often for more modern and decked out Amigas. The Amiga I recently inherited is an Amiga 1000 with 512k and that's it :)

It's easy to get spoiled after the ease of transfering disk images from the PC to the STs 8)
Zee
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Post by Zee »

oesii wrote:lol, I know how you feel. Everyone has great solutions for hooking up Amigas to PCs but they are often for more modern and decked out Amigas. The Amiga I recently inherited is an Amiga 1000 with 512k and that's it :)
Exactly... What about us that got an really old Amiga for free!
So you got an Amiga 1000, lucky you... I'm looking for such a beast myself.
oesii wrote:It's easy to get spoiled after the ease of transfering disk images from the PC to the STs 8)
Yeah, it's almost too easy to transfer disks from PC to Atari or vice versa. That is one of the things I like about the Atari.

//Zee
idrougge
Retro freak
Retro freak

Post by idrougge »

oesii wrote:The Amiga uses a non-PC, non-Atari and proprietary disk drive. I think it's 800k instead of the standard 720 as well. That non-standard disk drive has been a bane for years, there's creative workarounds but nothing is as easy as the ST :)
There is nothing proprietary about the Amiga disk drive. It's a bog-standard, run-of-the-mill 3,5" DD floppy drive. The Amiga floppy controller, OTOH, is particular, and much better than the ones used in PCs and STs. After all, an Amiga drive can read Amiga, PC, ST and C64 floppies without any special tricks. And it can fit much more onto a disk.

As for your particular problems, there are solutions. You could either trade your A1000, which carries some rarity value, for a more capable model, or you could type in an AmigaBASIC program to transfer files over a null-modem. There is such a program circulating in emulator circles on the net, and while not very capable, it should be enough to allow you to transfer some better software such as a PC floppy handler (MSH) or a real terminal program (NComm).

Return to “Applications”