Opinions on PP/petari/ppera HD driver? Anyone using it?

All about the serious stuff.

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Moderator Team

Awol
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Opinions on PP/petari/ppera HD driver? Anyone using it?

Post by Awol »

I have an UltraSatan and I'm currently using the ICD driver, but I want my SD cards to work with my Windows computer too. HDDriver is expensive. Has anyone tried this driver? Opinions?
1040STE: 4MB RAM, TOS 2.06
Formerly Grey_and_Purple.
Scarlettkitten
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: Opinions on PP/petari/ppera HD driver? Anyone using it?

Post by Scarlettkitten »

I use the PP driver on my Ultrasatan and I can't fault it, it's easy to setup and doesn't use much RAM. 8)
exxos
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by exxos »

I started using PP driver too, its a fraction faster than HD8, and as said before, it uses way less ram.
4MB STFM 1.44 FD- VELOCE+ 020 STE - Falcon 030 CT60 - Atari 2600 - Atari 7800 - Gigafile - SD Floppy Emulator - PeST - various clutter

http://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
http://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/storenew/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
http://ataristeven.exxoshost.co.uk/Steem.htm Latest Steem Emulator
simonsunnyboy

Post by simonsunnyboy »

There have been problems in the past BUT a lot of people report it is working well by now. The driver probably stabilized over the last 6 years.
I personally haven't tried it but I'm tempted to do so again, maybe next week when I have a long free weekend.

My advice: is: try it out...if you experience problems which ppera can't help you solving, you can still go and buy HDDriver instead.
Simon Sunnyboy/Paradize - http://paradize.atari.org/

Stay cool, stay Atari!

1x2600jr, 1x1040STFm, 1x1040STE 4MB+TOS2.06+SatanDisk, 1xF030 14MB+FPU+NetUS-Bee
AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by AtariZoll »

Sorry, but I must say something here: certainly that driver is now better than in past.
However, problems what SSB talking were actually not driver problems - it was loosing of autoboot after connecting SD or CF card on PC with Windows XP, via card reader. The reason was that partitioner and driver installer SW left some bytes in bootsector as zeros. Because that space is not used by DOS and TOS. But Windows XP ocasionaly writes there something, from God knows what reason, if there are zeros.
That destroys autoboot checksum, of course, and you can not access partitions - although it was possible with runnable driver version.
After getting few reports about it, I fixed problem quickly by simple writing something (dumb) there. And after using it in all driver installers from that, autoboot loosing not happens anymore.
Loosing autoboot means not loosing any data on drive/card. You can install driver again, and will find all data intact.
Famous Schrodinger's cat hypothetical experiment says that cat is dead or alive until we open box and see condition of poor animal, which deserved better logic. Cat is always in some certain state - regardless from is observer able or not to see what the state is.
Awol

Post by Awol »

Thanks everyone!
AtariZoll wrote:Sorry, but I must say something here: certainly that driver is now better than in past.
However, problems what SSB talking were actually not driver problems - it was loosing of autoboot after connecting SD or CF card on PC with Windows XP, via card reader. The reason was that partitioner and driver installer SW left some bytes in bootsector as zeros. Because that space is not used by DOS and TOS. But Windows XP ocasionaly writes there something, from God knows what reason, if there are zeros.
That destroys autoboot checksum, of course, and you can not access partitions - although it was possible with runnable driver version.
After getting few reports about it, I fixed problem quickly by simple writing something (dumb) there. And after using it in all driver installers from that, autoboot loosing not happens anymore.
Loosing autoboot means not loosing any data on drive/card. You can install driver again, and will find all data intact.
Are you ppera?
1040STE: 4MB RAM, TOS 2.06
Formerly Grey_and_Purple.
wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by wongck »

LOL.... Ppera, SofiST... and probably some others as wells. :wink:
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63 CTPCI ATI RTL8139 USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list
AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by AtariZoll »

Awol wrote: Are you ppera?
Yep. And considering other names: as Wongck said: Petari (8bitchip.info) and ParanoidLittleMan at atariage. Latest is too long, but has history :D I'm still active and there is many people thanking me for my activity. Still lot of things to do - preservation, some new SW solutions, helping emulator devel.
Famous Schrodinger's cat hypothetical experiment says that cat is dead or alive until we open box and see condition of poor animal, which deserved better logic. Cat is always in some certain state - regardless from is observer able or not to see what the state is.
wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by wongck »

Hey man, whatever had happened or said is before.... look to the future.
You make great hardware and software for the Atari !!!
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63 CTPCI ATI RTL8139 USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list
Shredder11
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by Shredder11 »

My Atari computers would be very unhappy without PP's software keeping them going. :contract: :cheers:
NikiforosST

Post by NikiforosST »

Hey! I have atari 520stfm with tos 1,04 and 4mb ram. I am using now Hddriver 9.0 but yes it cost much! 45 euros at the beginning and 12 euros update eg from 8 to 9, all others are free. So i have payed 45+12+12 from 7 to 8 and 8 to 9,0 now. I have ppera driver too, i want to try it today. My linux pc cant see hddriver driver sd card:(( wants windows and i can see only the first partition. I have a 1gb sd card partitioning to 2x512mb so tos 1,04 can see them, but with tos 1-1.02 must use 4x256 mb partitions.1gb sd can use all with tos 4+ Ppera driver is newer than hddriver, so i have bought it already, but with Pppera games images, my linux can see the partitions! :D just now tried a 4GB microSD to SD memory card with Ppera driver and yes linux can read partitions!! at last :D

PaSiTee
Atarian
Atarian

Post by PaSiTee »

I upgraded also to the PP driver after using ICDpro for quite some time. The previous comments pretty much summarize the pros. I used to move files back and forth with floppies or null modem, not quite the stuff one should do if the storage is an SD card. Now the SD cards are formatted to TOS/DOS compatibility by default, which is nice, and mount on other systems too, which makes data transfer easy. Anyway, since I use both Windows and Mac and also have a little Raspian thing sitting on the desk I'd like to complement the previous writers.

When you put the SD card to a Windows machine, it mounts just the first partition and with a 64-bit Windows that's pretty much it. With a 32-bit Windows there are some workarounds. Linux and Mac mount all partitions, but if using a Mac beware the hidden files. Even Raspbian/Debian seems to write hidden trashcan folders if using the default file manager to remove files, but Mac writes them right from the start. There are ways to prevent a Mac from writing its trashcans and resource forks and what else on the SD card, but I'm not sure you can be 100% sure. On the Atari these files don't show up in the usual GEM directories, but if you open the directory in a file chooser then there will be lots of mystic 1 kb files which are not neccessarily removable and have peculiar names like upward arrows or single characters. So be warned. I tried to get rid of the files with KKcommander, then Raspbian, but eventually just copied all the good stuff to RPi, reformatted the SD card and copied them back. Also after using the SD card first in my Mac (a G4 iBook) and then in my PC it would not recognize it, I don't know why. Luckily Raspbian did.

This of course has nothing to do with the driver, which seems to be a nice little piece of software, but I thought it might be good to share, now that the driver makes it possible to mount the cards on other systems too. If only I would not have most of my Atari stuff on that HFS+ formatted external HD...
AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by AtariZoll »

This was posted recently in HW section: http://faqintosh.com/risorse/en/sys/cleansmb/
An utility for cleaning 'stuff' written by MAC OS .
DarkLord
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by DarkLord »

I'm so glad mtools under Linux just works. :)
Welcome To DarkForce! http://www.darkforce.org "The Fuji Lives.!"
Atari SW/HW based BBS - Telnet:darkforce-bbs.dyndns.org 520
Anemos

Post by Anemos »

Opinions: is perfect HD drivers for Atari HD,compatible and stable . thas all.
Petari,ppera ,ect..whos care? is a guy who keeping Atari scene alive.
All taste the "good,s" of his work.
Even those who accuse him.
:cheers:
Atari 1040 STE - 4mb - TOS 1.62
Atari 1040 STF - 1mb - TOS 1.00

Return to “Applications”