preparing an Atari HD on an emulator

All about the serious stuff.

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Moderator Team

d0us
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

preparing an Atari HD on an emulator

Post by d0us »

I was messing with my new A1200 last night and I set up workbench on Winuae first.

There are a number of "pre-built" workbench environments available online as hardfiles that can be written to a cf card mounted in winuae as a an Amiga Hd. Then all you have to do is pop it in the amiga.

I was wondering if something similar exists for ataris.

I know hatari can use pasti images of hds. Is it possible to write pasti hd images to cf disk then use them as hds on an atari?
simonsunnyboy

Re: preparing an Atari HD on an emulator

Post by simonsunnyboy »

If have done so with images of SD cards for use with the SatanDisk so I assume it will work with CF cards too. Won't hurt with trying ;)
Simon Sunnyboy/Paradize - http://paradize.atari.org/

Stay cool, stay Atari!

1x2600jr, 1x1040STFm, 1x1040STE 4MB+TOS2.06+SatanDisk, 1xF030 14MB+FPU+NetUS-Bee
ppera

Re: preparing an Atari HD on an emulator

Post by ppera »

d0us wrote:I was messing with my new A1200 last night and I set up workbench on Winuae first.
There are a number of "pre-built" workbench environments available online as hardfiles that can be written to a cf card mounted in winuae as a an Amiga Hd. Then all you have to do is pop it in the amiga.
I was wondering if something similar exists for ataris.
I know hatari can use pasti images of hds. Is it possible to write pasti hd images to cf disk then use them as hds on an atari?
A lot of solutions is done for Ataris and it's emulators. Hatari can not using Pasti images. Steem can to do it, with support of Pasti.dll. But it is not related with hard disks, since Pasti images are images of floppies.
What works on Hatari is image files of hard disks (just RAW sectors in order). It is low level emulation, and requires installed hard disk driver.
And we are again at Pasti. Version 2 has additional hard disk emulation (only ACSI, same as Hatari), and can work in same way as Hatari with hard disk image files. It is even better than Hatari's emulation, which can not work with Hddriver (there are some weird DMA chip addressing btw., what may be the reason).

So, answer is yes. We have possibility to write hard disk image files to CF or SD cards, or even regular hard disks, and using them on real Ataris with hard disks. Only that they are not Pasti images, but simple RAW image files.

Here is SW for reading, writing such image files: http://www.ppest.org/zx/drimus.php

But there are even some easier ways: Atari can work directly with PC DOS formatted hard disks with regular drivers and BIGDOS. + we have special, compatible partitionings, drivers, so hard disk is fine readable under DOS, WIndows, Linux and on Ataris with proper driver. It is because Atari uses FAT16 too, same as DOS - little extra code is for ensuring compatibility because of different parameters.

Image made under Hatari or Steem (which can only ACSI emulation) will be usable with CF cards, but not bootable on Ataris. You need to install on them IDE driver - just a note.

Return to “Applications”