Keyedit?

All about the serious stuff.

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Moderator Team

larslindblad
Retro freak
Retro freak

Keyedit?

Post by larslindblad »

I have encountered a few keyboard-related problems... for instance.... my MegaSTE is german so Z and Y are mapped wrongly for me, and when I run an emulator I also suffer from wrongly mapped keys.

Andreas Ramos wrote in "Your second Atari manual" about a program called Keyedit which I think should solve my problems, but I haven't been able to find it.

My question is simply: Where can I find Keyedit?
sh3-rg
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by sh3-rg »

Bnicke
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Post by Bnicke »

Isn't it only the TOS-version?
Install a Swedish TOS and move the buttons on the keyboard?
Of cource the Å will be a Ü
Last edited by Bnicke on Sat Sep 29, 2007 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
/Niklas
larslindblad
Retro freak
Retro freak

Post by larslindblad »

Yes! :D That's the one! Thanks mucho!

*link to ftp saved for later browsing* :)

/ Lars
mib5150
Atari freak
Atari freak

Keyedit revoked!

Post by mib5150 »

Speaking of Keyedit...

When emulating Atari ST on my PC or my Mac I encounter problems with the mapping of the keyboard. I try to switch layout in steem (or xsteem) but I always lack some keys. At some point I realized that when I had a layout with backslash I lacked the $-sign, and vice versa. Annoying.

Therefore I thought it would be nice to use Keyedit to map all keys so these on the emulating keyboard will be the same as the symbols printed. One problem that could be solved is that some of those symbols are pressed using Alt Gr on the PC keyboard.

Unfortunately Keyedit can only map keys in normal, shifted and Caps Locked modes - not using Alt or Alt Gr.

Anyone who knows where to find how the Atari ST maps its keyboard? Has anyone already made a keyboard mapping for the PC (or Mac) keyboards? Andreas Ramos mentions in "Your second manual to the Atari ST" that there are other programs than Keyedit - anyone who knows any of these?

One suggestion Ramos makes tho, is to place needed characters on shifted keys on the numerical keyboard. I'll try that until someone provides me with a better solution! :)
joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Re: Keyedit revoked!

Post by joska »

mib5150 wrote:Therefore I thought it would be nice to use Keyedit to map all keys so these on the emulating keyboard will be the same as the symbols printed. One problem that could be solved is that some of those symbols are pressed using Alt Gr on the PC keyboard.

Unfortunately Keyedit can only map keys in normal, shifted and Caps Locked modes - not using Alt or Alt Gr.
Correct. Originally, there are only three translation tables in TOS - normal, shifted and Caps Lock. Some TOS-versions (Swedish, Norwegian and German are three I know of) had hardcoded support for Alt-combinations. These do not use translation tables and can't (easily) be remapped.

If you want to edit these keys under plain TOS, you probably need atleast TOS 4 (Falcon). Some say it should work with 2.06 too, but I had no luck with that. You also need to find a program that can remap the Alt-combination under TOS, I don't know of any.

You can also use an extended keyboarddriver, like CKBD or Clocky. Both of these will give you full control of your keyboard layout, even under TOS 1.x.

Btw both MagiC! and FreeMiNT allows these keys to be remapped. FreeMiNT also adds deadkeys.
Jo Even

VanillaMiNT - Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

Return to “Applications”