HDDriver + Linux?

All about the serious stuff.

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Moderator Team

simonsunnyboy

Post by simonsunnyboy »

Ppera's tool said sdd1 iirc.

Mtools only work with .ST files, not with MSA which sucks big time. And I didn't had the time sofar to write shell wrappers to use hmsa for them as well to convert on the fly if necessary.
Simon Sunnyboy/Paradize - http://paradize.atari.org/

Stay cool, stay Atari!

1x2600jr, 1x1040STFm, 1x1040STE 4MB+TOS2.06+SatanDisk, 1xF030 14MB+FPU+NetUS-Bee
ijor
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by ijor »

simonsunnyboy wrote:As I get that ugly nag screen each STEEM boot, Pasti is enabled here....
Pasti "enabled" is not enough. You must mount the hard disk image through Pasti configuration dialog (at the Hard Disk pane).

Also note that you must make an image of the whole disk, not just a single partition.
simonsunnyboy

Post by simonsunnyboy »

I couldn't find an option within the hd option dialog for mountign images.
Maybe my version of PAsti is too old? As I hardly ever use emulators under Windows anyway...

But even if it did work, it woudl be useless for me as long as Linux can't mount the image. Hatari couldn't boot from a card dump aswell. But ACSI support in Hatari isn't complete either...

Stay cool, stay Atari!

1x2600jr, 1x1040STFm, 1x1040STE 4MB+TOS2.06+SatanDisk, 1xF030 14MB+FPU+NetUS-Bee
ijor
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by ijor »

simonsunnyboy wrote:I couldn't find an option within the hd option dialog for mountign images.
It is not in the "Hard Disk" Steem dialog. It is inside Pasti dialog.

Open Disk Manager on Steem. Click on "Disk Manager Options" icon to get a submenu. On that submenu select "Pasti Configuration". This brings another dialog, the Pasti private configuration dialog.

Then on the Pasti Dialog select the Hard Disk pane.
But even if it did work, it woudl be useless for me as long as Linux can't mount the image.
This is, again, probably because you selected "Windows/compatibility" mode. There is not much point in using this option for Linux. Just use AHDI native partitions and you should be able to use them directly under Linux.
MaLICiouS
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Post by MaLICiouS »

This is a complicated business. The FAT kernel module for linux refuses to deal with FAT partitions with a logical sector size of >= 8192. It compares the sector size with PAGE_CACHE_SIZE, and if it's larger it won't mount it. I'm working on a workaround. The Atari implementation of FAT16 almost always uses a logical sector size of 8192 since it needs to keep the number of sectors below 65535, which is the TOS limit (at least for 2.06). Until this linux shortcoming is fixed, I suggest keeping your FAT partitions <= 262MB ((262*1024*1000)/4096=65500 if my math is correct) in size. This way you can use a logical sector size of 4096 thus being able to mount it in all major operating systems.
4MB 1040STe
4MB Mega/STE with FreeMiNT/XaAESm 40MB SCSI HD, 1.44M floppy
Recased Falcon030 with CT2, 64MB TT-RAM, 4MB ST-RAM, FreeMiNT/XaAES, EtherNEC and 40GB HDD
simonsunnyboy

Post by simonsunnyboy »

Well I think I can get along with ppera's drimg file transfer options then ;)

Stay cool, stay Atari!

Return to “Applications”