Undocumented ST-Guide features in hyp2gdos.hyp

All about the serious stuff.

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Moderator Team

ThorstenOtto
Atari God
Atari God

Undocumented ST-Guide features in hyp2gdos.hyp

Post by ThorstenOtto »

I already stumbled upon this when working on the hcp compiler, but now took a closer look: in hyp2gdos.hyp there are some undocumented ESC-sequences used. You normally won't see them, since both ST-Guide and HypView simply ignore them, but you can make them visible by using a debug option i added to hcp:

Code: Select all

$ hcp -r --dump hyp2gdos.hyp
Index entry 6:
  Name: Bedienung
  Entry length: 24
  Offset: 3463 $d87
  Compressed: 598 $256
  Uncompressed: 1024 $400
  Next: 7 $0007
  Previous: 5 $0005
  Up: 1 $0001
  Type: internal node
Textattr: $8
Text: <2  Bedienung                                                       Hyp2GDOS>
Textattr: $0
<EOL>
<EOL>
Text: <Hyp2GDOS ist ein reines Kommandozeilentool, d.h. es hat keine grafische >
<EOL>
Text: <Benutzeroberfläche. Der Aufruf erfolgt durch Doppelklick auf das >
<EOL>
Text: <Programmsymbol im Desktop bzw. über eine Kommandoshell. Beim Aufruf können >
<EOL>
Text: <verschiedene >
Link: "Optionen" 7 "Optionen"
Text: < angegeben werden. Die Aufrufsyntax ist:>
<EOL>
<EOL>
<unknown hex esc $a4>
Text: <     hyp2gdos {-option} hypfile>
<EOL>
<unknown hex esc $a4>
Textattr: $0
<EOL>
Text: <Hyp2GDOS unterstützt die Übergabe der Argumente über die >
<EOL>
Text: <Environmentvariable ARGV=. Ansonsten sollten Argumente, die Leerzeichen >
The output of this sequence in ST-Guide looks like

Code: Select all

Hyp2GDOS ist ein reines Kommandozeilentool, d.h. es hat keine grafische 
Benutzeroberfläche. Der Aufruf erfolgt durch Doppelklick auf das 
Programmsymbol im Desktop bzw. über eine Kommandoshell. Beim Aufruf können 
verschiedene Optionen angegeben werden. Die Aufrufsyntax ist:

hyp2gdos {-option} hypfile

Hyp2GDOS unterstützt die Übergabe der Argumente über die 
Environmentvariable ARGV=. Ansonsten sollten Argumente, die Leerzeichen 
You can see the "unknown hex esc $a4" there. Apparently this is used by hyp2gdos to switch to a typewriter font.

Now the question is: how did those attributes get there? They are not documented, and i could not convince ST-Guide's hcp to produce them. They seem to be used like text attributes (bytes $A4-$E3 switch to a typewriter font, and at the same time also set the text effects, like $64-$a3 do for normal text). So i tried several inline attributes like @{T} and other characters that are not already used, but they all get rejected.

Is anybody able to produce such output?
lp
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Re: Undocumented ST-Guide features in hyp2gdos.hyp

Post by lp »

Very long time ago I made a hyp decompiler. Indeed it stops and says unknown value 164. First I've seen that. No idea what to translate it to. I did notice in the hyp there's a node about UDO. Odds are it was compiled with that. Maybe the UDO docs provide a clue?
Cyprian
10 GOTO 10
10 GOTO 10

Post by Cyprian »

are they not inherited from AmigaGuide?
Mega ST 1 / 7800 / Portfolio / Lynx II / Jaguar / TT030 / Mega STe / 800 XL / 1040 STe / Falcon030 / 65 XE / 520 STm / SM124 / SC1435
DDD HDD / AT Speed C16 / TF536 / SDrive / PAK68/3 / Lynx Multi Card / LDW Super 2000 / XCA12 / SkunkBoard / CosmosEx / SatanDisk / UltraSatan / USB Floppy Drive Emulator / Eiffel / SIO2PC / Crazy Dots / PAM Net
Hatari / Steem SSE / Aranym / Saint
http://260ste.atari.org
ThorstenOtto
Atari God
Atari God

Post by ThorstenOtto »

lp wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:14 pm Very long time ago I made a hyp decompiler. Indeed it stops and says unknown value 164. First I've seen that. No idea what to translate it to. I did notice in the hyp there's a node about UDO. Odds are it was compiled with that. Maybe the UDO docs provide a clue?
UDO only generates the *.stg source file. That still has to be compiled by hcp.
ThorstenOtto
Atari God
Atari God

Post by ThorstenOtto »

Cyprian wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:24 pm are they not inherited from AmigaGuide?
AmigaGuide does not use the binary format (atleast not that i'm aware of). It just takes the text files (with slightly different commands in some cases).
lp
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by lp »

ThorstenOtto wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:13 am
lp wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:14 pm Very long time ago I made a hyp decompiler. Indeed it stops and says unknown value 164. First I've seen that. No idea what to translate it to. I did notice in the hyp there's a node about UDO. Odds are it was compiled with that. Maybe the UDO docs provide a clue?
UDO only generates the *.stg source file. That still has to be compiled by hcp.
I realize that, but since the UDO ad is in the hyp it almost certainly means that some UDO command was translated to something HCP could digest. However, the UDO manual does not list any additional text styling commands I'm not already aware of.
ThorstenOtto
Atari God
Atari God

Post by ThorstenOtto »

I also worked on UDO quite a lot in the past, and i'm quite sure that there is no such command ;) For other formats that would be (!T), but this is not handled for ST-Guide output.

Of course that doesn't stop you from inserting some ST-Guide command using the (!raw []) syntax.

What i've also thought about: was there ever a compiler like hcp for mac? I know that Martin Osieka wrote a *viewer* named Hyperion, and i also see references to "HypC" in the documentation, however the hyp2gdos.hyp is marked as being compiled on Atari.
Last edited by ThorstenOtto on Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ThorstenOtto
Atari God
Atari God

Post by ThorstenOtto »

BTW, i've now also uploaded the source to hyp2gdos. You can take a look at https://github.com/th-otto/hyp2gdos

Return to “Applications”