Diderot.ACC

All about the serious stuff.

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Moderator Team

dbsys
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Diderot.ACC

Post by dbsys »

Does anyone over here know, or even better, use the Diderot accessory?

The Diderot accessory can deal with AID files and provides ONLINE HELP for applications that support this function. Studio Son is/was such an application. When you push the [HELP] key in Studio Son, the Studio Son online help will start with Diderot.

My main goal is to find out if there is a way to decipher the Studio Son online help AID file and generate a manual of the texts that are in the AID file.

I am attaching that AID file to look at.

And I am attaching the Diderot.ACC as well.

Thank you!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cb
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Re: Diderot.ACC

Post by cb »

Here are some docs about this program... DID115.TXT might be what you are looking for :wink:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AL-FGC
Heghlu'meH QaQ jajvam!
cb
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by cb »

Some more stuff from my own archives... There's a SOURCE folder in this one... :)
AL-FGC
Heghlu'meH QaQ jajvam!
dbsys
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by dbsys »

cb wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:25 pm Here are some docs about this program... DID115.TXT might be what you are looking for :wink:
cb wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:29 pm Some more stuff from my own archives... There's a SOURCE folder in this one... :)
Thanks cb, I'll take a closer look.

Have you ever used Diderot and possibly managed to print any of the loaded AID files?
cb
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by cb »

Well I didn't use it to write any help files and didn't have a printer back in the old days. It was a nice hypertext tool that never took off and was only used in France. I remember there was a shell that was meant to be used to create the AID files (don't know if it can be used to disassemble them if that's your goal) and a few issues of a magazine in Diderot's hypertext format. I definitely have those somewhere in my archives if you want them.
AL-FGC
Heghlu'meH QaQ jajvam!
dbsys
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by dbsys »

cb wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:31 pm ...remember there was a shell that was meant to be used to create the AID files (don't know if it can be used to disassemble them if that's your goal) ....
Yes, my main goal is to disassemble the Studio Son AID file to create a regular manual of its content. The next step would be to translate it from French to English.

I intensively looked at the Studio Son software and strongly believe, it's heavily underrated. Studio Son contains so many useful tools, many of them are not self explaining, however. Last but not least, many prospective Studio Son users do not understand the French online help.
cb
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by cb »

Here is the shell I have, called Did_Shell. With if you can theorically at least create AID files, but it's missing the important bit: the Diderot compiler executable (DIDCOMP.GTP according to the readme).

After looking at STUDIOSON.AID, it appears it's one of those files that are not packed nor encrypted in any way. So if you got lots of free time you can hex edit it and copy and paste the text. Boring task though :)
AL-FGC
Heghlu'meH QaQ jajvam!
cb
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by cb »

I've been working on a quick conversion of the Diderot AID file to HYP format, here is a preview of the original help file :)
AL-FGC
Heghlu'meH QaQ jajvam!
dbsys
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by dbsys »

cb wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 4:20 pm I've been working on a quick conversion of the Diderot AID file to HYP format, here is a preview of the original help file :)
Wow, that looks pretty good and impressing!

You are saying, this is a "preview". To what extend is this HYP document finished? And, how can I help you finishing it?
cb
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by cb »

Well now it is done :) !Here is the manual in hypertext format. But as you will see it doesnt match the actual program in several areas.
AL-FGC
Heghlu'meH QaQ jajvam!
ThorstenOtto
Atari God
Atari God

Post by ThorstenOtto »

Also available online (hope that's ok for you):

english
french
cb
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by cb »

ThorstenOtto wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 2:20 pm Also available online (hope that's ok for you):

english
french
no problem of course! :wink:
AL-FGC
Heghlu'meH QaQ jajvam!
dbsys
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by dbsys »

cb wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 10:43 am Well now it is done :) !Here is the manual in hypertext format. But as you will see it doesnt match the actual program in several areas.
Wow, wow, wow. You also made an English version! How did you manage that?

Thumbs up! Thank you!

:cheers:
cb
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by cb »

Nothing special, once the text was ripped off, trasnlating it was a piece of cake! It's just too bad the help file doesn't seem to have been written for the last program version...
AL-FGC
Heghlu'meH QaQ jajvam!
dbsys
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by dbsys »

cb wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 12:23 pm Nothing special, once the text was ripped off, trasnlating it was a piece of cake! It's just too bad the help file doesn't seem to have been written for the last program version...
I see. May be I can try to add missing topics, while using the existing manual?

So you grabbed the French text off the STUD_SON.AID file. Very smart.
How did you proceeed to create the .HYP files? Which kind of tools did you use?
cb
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by cb »

To create HYP files I simply use HCP from https://tho-otto.de/downloads.html on ARAnyM (yes I know there is a Windows version of HCP)! I use that + Jinnee with a special script to disassemble/reassemble HYP files from context menu + ASH Scripter. In order to modify the hyptertext sources Notepad++ on Windows 10 is just fine.
AL-FGC
Heghlu'meH QaQ jajvam!
cb
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by cb »

Here is my ARAnyM setup in case you wondered how it is:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RVxQdH ... sp=sharing
AL-FGC
Heghlu'meH QaQ jajvam!

Return to “Applications”