Need help about convert HLP file to TXT (UNIT.HLP from Pure Pascal)

All about the serious stuff.

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Moderator Team

neotenien
Retro freak
Retro freak

Need help about convert HLP file to TXT (UNIT.HLP from Pure Pascal)

Post by neotenien »

Hi all

How are you ? I'm there followed the council of Vincent Riviere.

I learn computering with Turbo Pascal in 1992-1994 years, and since there, I tryed some language as Basic, Assembler 6809, C language (on Atari), then PHP, Java, JavaScript, Python etc...

But recently I had an opportunity to work on Pascal language, a source return with benefit. And I discover that Pascal language has not so bad compare to the "god" Java language (I don't know why so many compagny in France use this sheet language)...

So I get back to Atari World and I intend to code some API and maybe software on Pascal language... And discoverd on a website that Pure Pascal is freely available in download. At same way I discover it exist a free language set with Free Pascal and Lazarus. And many sources code with it.

So, as this (pure pascal) great software use HLP file but in German, I intended to translate them with Google translator (I don't know any word in German language).

So I used the ST-Guide tools for that, so 1st stage was to convert HLP (a binary) file to txt one with the HELPDISC.TTP tool.
It works perfectly with the PASCAL.HLP File (a 40kB file), and I translate all in french, even I created a new website about that (Pascal language on Atari ST), but with the UNIT.HLP file (162 kB), the converse didn't do all and since line 13280 to end of file, it didn't convert well. see the UNIT.TXT file in the zip file I joined, this zip also contain the HELPDISC.TTP and the original UNIT.HLP ). Is there someone here who can tel me what it's wrong ?
I don't know where the problem is, maybe a problem in memory ? I used Hatari in Falcon mode 14 MB ST Ram. It worked well with PASCAL.HLP (wich contain all Pascal vocabulary, the compilation directives... It has 70 link page inside)

I need this file to complete my website with the more 600 pages contained in it.

To convert this fromhemp txt file to html I only use a text Replace feature «from \link("» to «<a href="» etc... not so complicated. And in extrac each part for each html file.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by neotenien on Fri May 14, 2021 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
charles
10 GOTO 10
10 GOTO 10

Re: Need help about convert HLP file to TXT (UNIT.HLP from Pure Pascal)

Post by charles »

If its pure pascal...i had success using STeem emulator
And while within pure pascal using command print screen to write all to one file...forgive my short instruction i can explain further once in front of my pc
The radioactive half-life : )
Atari is a lifestyle,not a hobby.
HOLD ON ! ! ! Im printing unreadable characters ...!
charles
10 GOTO 10
10 GOTO 10

Post by charles »

If memory serves correct they are in a similar format file as .hyp
neotenien
Retro freak
Retro freak

Post by neotenien »

charles wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 5:39 pm If memory serves correct they are in a similar format file as .hyp
This doesn't answer to my issue

Read carefully please. The point I need help is in bod cars in my post.
charles
10 GOTO 10
10 GOTO 10

Post by charles »

also I believe error in the unit.hlp file in the pure pascal package ,
I used a error free unit from the demo version ppdemo
and now all shortcut links will branch successfully ... does your unit.hlp give errors when in use under pure pascal editor ?
neotenien
Retro freak
Retro freak

Post by neotenien »

charles wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 8:51 pm also I believe error in the unit.hlp file in the pure pascal package ,
I used a error free unit from the demo version ppdemo
and now all shortcut links will branch successfully ... does your unit.hlp give errors when in use under pure pascal editor ?
Yes you're true, the GEM and TOS unit are not underlined on HELP file. And it's exactly there (begining of GEM and TOS Unit in text file) where converse become false.

I used Hatari, and it's not obvious clicking on these link in HLP file... I wonder if it comes from Hatari or from the software himself.

Ok now we know the source of problem, how to solve oit ? Even if for major people, GEM and TOS in Pascal are not important, it is important for Atari Dev.
charles
10 GOTO 10
10 GOTO 10

Post by charles »

maybe ill load my pascal
its a full working package ,,,give me couple days to pick out and piece together a full working pure pascal package

then under your observations will all render to English/french
BlankVector
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by BlankVector »

Welcome here, neotenien :)

Vincent
Subscribe to my Vretrocomputing channel on YouTube and Facebook. Latest video: Manipulate 16-pixel groups in assembly language.
BlankVector
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by BlankVector »

neotenien wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 4:27 pm but with the UNIT.HLP file (162 kB), the converse didn't do all and since line 13280 to end of file, it didn't convert well. see the UNIT.TXT file in the zip file I joined, this zip also contain the HELPDISC.TTP and the original UNIT.HLP ).
Strange... I opened UNIT.TXT with Notepad++, and I can see there is indeed a lot of NUL bytes starting from line 13281. Certainly due to a bug in HELPDISC.TTP. But how to find a workaround?
Subscribe to my Vretrocomputing channel on YouTube and Facebook. Latest video: Manipulate 16-pixel groups in assembly language.
charles
10 GOTO 10
10 GOTO 10

Post by charles »

here
please try this

charles
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
neotenien
Retro freak
Retro freak

Post by neotenien »

charles wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 1:53 pm here
please try this

charles
Hekllo Charles

I just saw many of these files, and the HLP files inside... That's so great to have a no corrupted file (and bigger) of UNIT.PHP. I passe it on HELPDISC.TTP and the resut file is ok.

1/ How did you obtain these ?
2/ Are they in domain public ? ('I mean as I obtained the previous one on an atari website where it was free of charge, I ask the question about right of this text)

3/ I see you did some summary, I just read one file constant_parameter.txt with this code

Code: Select all

TYPE Point = RECORD x, y: INTEGER; END;
         Rectangle = RECORD x, y, w, h: INTEGER; END;

FUNCTION PointInRect (CONST p: Point; CONST r: Rectangle): BOOLEAN;
    BEGIN
        PointInRect: = (p.x> = r.x)
                   AND (p.y> = r.y)
                   AND (p.x <r.x + r.w)
                   AND (p.y <r.y + r.h);
    END;
I think we can do the same effect with the VAR keyword (a pointer to the var), buit I see ne important fact using this in explanation, it's that CONSt is a new possybibity to pass parameter as pointer AND to avoid changin the value (It's the point different with VAR and it's a great point I think.

4/ I see it's pure pascal 1.1, is different to the 1992-08-13 available on the web ?
-----
About my side, I see that the TXT resulting of uucompress the UNIT.HLP file is 21000 lines long 3 times more than the PASCAL one, but more than 850 pages (instead it was 70 for Pascal.HLP). I hope the PASCAL.HLP include inside is not different of the original one I use for convert in french and HTML format.

Any case MANY THANKS foir that, really !!
charles
10 GOTO 10
10 GOTO 10

Post by charles »

it was a few years ago and I began exploring the additional arrangements of my pure pascal package .
so I began translating printed file dumps from pure pascal while it ran under STeem on my PC..
in hopes someday I could reformat and make use of the inline help compiller

I feel our new trouble area (the CONST and VAR ) has occuried while using google translate...
but it could have originated elsewhere as I pieced together a pascal package from three different pascals

much like using a programming language
our bond to its dedication will strengthen over time ,
but always be over dictated in dialect

so just don't believe what you read , please try and grow a strong bond to pascal
charles
10 GOTO 10
10 GOTO 10

Post by charles »

its a function to only return Boolean we would waste cpu passing it to stack space??
I don't know so const point to establish mem area?
charles
10 GOTO 10
10 GOTO 10

Post by charles »

yes public domain , include with ppdemo.lzh
but if restraint on re-illiterate was in german I would have no clear understanding

Return to “Applications”