All about the serious stuff.

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Moderator Team

JeanMars
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

VISION 4.7 is out!

Post by JeanMars »

Hi everyone,

Just released VISION 4.7a, you can see all changes here: http://vision.atari.org/vhistoe.htm
and download it from here: http://vision.atari.org/telee.htm

Short list of changes:
- VISION can update automatically from Internet
- New LDVs for counting colors
- Bug fixes, optimizations and improvements

Have a nice day!
Jean
Estrayk
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: VISION 4.7 is out!

Post by Estrayk »

Thank you very much Jean. Really.
・Falcon ct60e・Atari MegaSTE ・Atari STe ・MIST ・MISTer・
mrbombermillzy
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by mrbombermillzy »

Thanks for this update. The GENIMG LDV will be very useful to me. :cheers:
JeanMars
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by JeanMars »

Hi all,

new version 4.7a4 from Continuous Integration.
See changes/instructions here:
http://vision.atari.org/vhistoe.htm

BTW curious to know what could be the ratio of Atari machines connected to the Internet...
If you have any feedback about VISION's new feature to update from Internet, please let me know.

Cheers,
Jean
mrbombermillzy
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by mrbombermillzy »

JeanMars wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:24 pm
BTW curious to know what could be the ratio of Atari machines connected to the Internet...
Definitely not me. Thanks for keeping this updated though! :cheers:

If you dont mind me asking, will there be a future build that handles colour in whatever the image colour depth is rather than the native resolution colour depth?

Im really getting to like this tool now. :)
JeanMars
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by JeanMars »

f you dont mind me asking, will there be a future build that handles colour in whatever the image colour depth is rather than the native resolution colour depth?
Very unlikely unfortunately: VISION has been designed (30 years ago!) using the screen to update the image in memory. So every change on the image based on a tool such as pencil, circle, filler... first updates the screen and then the image in memory.
Note there are some exceptions to this:
- When building catalog, every image is stored in the catalog in its native color depth
- Very recently (4.7a4) a LDV can get the image with its original color depth but only from a script file (else from a window, the image will have to stick to the color depth resolution)

Cheers,
Jean
mrbombermillzy
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by mrbombermillzy »

No worries. Thankyou Jean.

Your colour count and max colour image creation LDVs are a great addition. Thanks for continuing to work on Vision.
stormy
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by stormy »

Hi Jean,

Thank you for this great update! Here are some photos of my machine updating itself! Shame Atari forum does not allow modern file size uploads but here is my Google drive link:
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... MC9pkc0nuu
Falcon CT60e 060 - 256mb ram - Phantom bus and DSP accelerated // Atari TT - Thunder and Storm IDE 64mb ram - Lightning VME - USB LAN - ATI Mach64 2mb
JeanMars
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by JeanMars »

Hi Stormy,

thanks for the feedback, happy to see that VISION updater is working on your side :-)
I'm curious; what command do you run in the console to get these details and progress on download?
And what is your configuration?

Cheers,
Jean
stormy
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by stormy »

Hi Jean. This is EasyMint. Whenever background Unix tools are used it displays the console as such to show the output. This is on my TT which has mach64 graphics.
Falcon CT60e 060 - 256mb ram - Phantom bus and DSP accelerated // Atari TT - Thunder and Storm IDE 64mb ram - Lightning VME - USB LAN - ATI Mach64 2mb
JeanMars
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by JeanMars »

Hi Stormy,

thanks for the response, never pay attention to console output, good to know :-)
Have a nice day,
Jean
marcello
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Post by marcello »

Hi Jean Mars
Do you recommend the latest version for low config Atari (4MB RAM on 68000), or should I use an older version ?
Great Software, I love that it works as good on Tos and Freemint.
STMint, try Unix on your 68000 Atari http://subsole.org/st_mint
Eero Tamminen
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by Eero Tamminen »

EmuTOS didn't always draw ellipses right when one was dragging it to final size. This turned out to be because (depending on the direction one draws from the starting point) Vision can give negative values for the ellipse VDI call.

While this mostly works with all TOS versions, Thorsten Otto commented following on the EmuTOS mailing list:
For example, <when comparing v_ellarc(vdi_handle, 600, 500, 200, 200, 0, 1350) and one with a negative xradius (v_ellarc(vdi_handle, 600, 500, -200, 200, 0, 1350)> arc starts at the opposite direction, and is drawn clockwise.

Also, the calculation for the number of steps uses the greater of the two radii, which does not work as expected if one (or both) of them is negative. It might even result in negative values for the number. Although this is then clipped to a minimum value, that could result in ugly circles.

Also, while experimenting, it seems that TOS sometimes hangs or crashes when using negative values for the y-radius.
ThorstenOtto
Atari God
Atari God

Post by ThorstenOtto »

There seems to be another bug while dragging circles/ellipses: when the arc hits the window border, nothing at all is drawn. It should imho draw the visible part atleast.
JeanMars
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by JeanMars »

Hi,

sorry I've missed last 3 messages :-(

@marcello: I always recommend using latest version; please note there are 2 binaries now:
visionl.prg: it has less features you are probably not interested in and has lower memory footprint
vision.prg: the fully featured one
Details available here: http://vision.atari.org/vhistoe.htm (check version 4.6a)

@Eero/Throsten:
Can you please detail which EmuTos/Machine/resolution you are using? I tried on Hatari/latest EmuTOS/TC16 and I can't repro any of them.
BTW VISION always uses v_ellipse to draw a filled or not ellipse (using vswr_mode(MD_TRANS) if not filled) and not v_ellarc.

Please note that when the ellipse is drawn, if it goes over the visible window, it won"t be drawn outside of it (in the image raster) as VISION is using the screen to update the raster image. This is by design, sorry...

Thanks,
Jean
ThorstenOtto
Atari God
Atari God

Post by ThorstenOtto »

JeanMars wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:56 pm Can you please detail which EmuTos/Machine/resolution you are using?
Current emutos, self-built snapshot version, running in monochrome (either ST or TT resolution). But the ellipse drawing code there hasn't change for many years, so it should be reproducible also with some older version.
I tried on Hatari/latest EmuTOS/TC16 and I can't repro any of them.
When you say TC16, do you mean truecolor? Then you are probably using NVDI? Of course that can only be reproduced with EmuTOS's builtin VDI.
BTW VISION always uses v_ellipse to draw a filled or not ellipse (using vswr_mode(MD_TRANS) if not filled) and not v_ellarc.
I only used v_ellarc in a small test program to demonstrate the behaviour of TOS, starting on the left side and drawing clockwise when using a negative xradius; with v_ellipse() that effect isn't visible. The actual algorithm to calculate the polyline for the curve is the same (that also applies to EmuTOS and NVDI).
JeanMars
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by JeanMars »

Hi,

I was able to repro this issue; actually it's the same as v_ellarc; negative values lead to not drawing the ellipse when it comes over the border. This is now fixed and ready for next update.
Thanks for notifying!

Cheers,
Jean
ThorstenOtto
Atari God
Atari God

Post by ThorstenOtto »

Thanks for fixing it so quickly.
JeanMars
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by JeanMars »

Hi Thorsten,

it's fixed on my side but please do not expect a new release to soon as I'm currently working on some change that takes some time.
Also I'll be off most of this week.

Cheers,
Jean

Return to “Applications”