How to install FreeMiNT - simple step by step guide

FreeMiNT related questions are answered here.

Moderators: simonsunnyboy, Mug UK, Zorro 2, ThorstenOtto, mikro, Moderator Team

mfro
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Re: How to install FreeMiNT - simple step by step guide

Post by mfro »

Rustynutt wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:27 am A question I'm dying to ask, for some reason I'm strongly attached to XCONTROL.ACC. Is COPS "promoted" in these releases because of the GNU thing, and the latter an Atari application?
COPS isn't "promoted" by the FreeMiNT team, its just that it can be supported and legally distributed (contrary to XCONTROL) as it is open source. If you like XCONTROL better (and don't need COPS's additional functionality like the capability to have several CPXs open simultanously or display "double size" CPXs), feel free to use it.
wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by wongck »

Rustynutt wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:27 am Embarrassed :) It's a data file for a demo I'd somehow extracted to root.
LOL.... no wonder that f32.dat file don't ring a bell for me.
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63 CTPCI ATI RTL8139 USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff that are no longer for sale due to them over 30 years old - click here for list
Rustynutt
Atari God
Atari God

Post by Rustynutt »

mfro wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:15 am
Rustynutt wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:27 am A question I'm dying to ask, for some reason I'm strongly attached to XCONTROL.ACC. Is COPS "promoted" in these releases because of the GNU thing, and the latter an Atari application?
COPS isn't "promoted" by the FreeMiNT team, its just that it can be supported and legally distributed (contrary to XCONTROL) as it is open source. If you like XCONTROL better (and don't need COPS's additional functionality like the capability to have several CPXs open simultanously or display "double size" CPXs), feel free to use it.
Promoted came out wrong.
Seems it's been defacto for years.
It's only the last few getting a grasp on the GNU licensing statement and terms, and what it's all about.

Understand it's an Atari product, that was all but given license to anyone that could use it. But right, it's not free in the strictest of sense.

Where Roger has "given away" ExtenDOS, you can still purchase the complete package at retail, and receive new manuals and disk. Just did so 4 years ago. Same for NAES, last year purchasing the ISO at full retail from Constantine. And of course there is Uwe.
Nothing wrong with buying software.
Why I still rock a Nokia. Far cry from years past, but oh the so stripped down Android :)
enito
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Post by enito »

Hi all I try to download latest snapshots for TT but all the links are dead, any mirror avaible ? Regards
mikro
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by mikro »

As those questions are popping up everywhere - yes, we are aware and yes, we plan to fix it. But it's a super boring task, so have patience. I'm going to put some warning placeholder until then.

On the positive side, I'm glad so many people are interested in FreeMiNT these days. ;-)
enito
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Post by enito »

Thx for your time and patience , regards
Mgi
Atari User
Atari User

Post by Mgi »

Looking forward to the latest snapshot too :)

Return to “FreeMiNT support”