Atari ST core

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

remowilliams
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: Atari ST core

Post by remowilliams »

BBond007 wrote:I just wonder why TOS (even 2.06) can't programmatically switch from low to medium resolution.
The STs most certainly can switch low/med modes via code.
Neo666
Retro freak
Retro freak

Post by Neo666 »

I've been enjoying playing games which support MIDI with this core and the Sierra games that support MT32 sound great, however there is a problem that the MT32 music with Munt is prone to dropping off - see example in this video, starting at around 15:10:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKRE5v8fRtc&t=965s

This isn't an issue with Fluidsynth but I've never been able to get a sound font that sounded the same as Munt consistently

SQ3 with Munt also drops the music in the same place on the ao486 core

Are there any settings or anything that can be done to fix this?

Many thanks
Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by Sorgelig »

Neo666 wrote:Are there any settings or anything that can be done to fix this?
Nope, so far. Munt is known as very slow app requiring much faster CPU than MiSTer has.
breiztiger
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by breiztiger »

someone could tell me what extension is for cartridge please ?

standard is stc i think
jca
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Post by jca »

breiztiger wrote:someone could tell me what extension is for cartridge please ?

standard is stc i think
img works for me.
breiztiger
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by breiztiger »

i have take some from http://atari.8bitchip.info/cartST.html

no success
Neo666
Retro freak
Retro freak

Post by Neo666 »

Sorgelig wrote:
Nope, so far. Munt is known as very slow app requiring much faster CPU than MiSTer has.
Ok thanks, will have to stick with DOSBOX and ScummVM on Windows, or get a real MT-32!
dhester
Atariator
Atariator

Post by dhester »

Bit of a noob question but how do I install the Uart core?
Chris23235
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by Chris23235 »

dhester wrote:Bit of a noob question but how do I install the Uart core?
Just copy the rbf fole to your _Computers folder.
dhester
Atariator
Atariator

Post by dhester »

I understand that part but I meant how do I install the two other files in the zip file. How do I put them in the usr/sbin folder.
BBond007
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by BBond007 »

Neo666 wrote:
Sorgelig wrote:
Ok thanks, will have to stick with DOSBOX and ScummVM on Windows, or get a real MT-32!
You can also use the OSD "UART: MidiLink/Remote : UDP" option to send the raw MIDI data to another (more capable) device over the network.

This will allow you to send the raw MIDI data to MUNT running on your Windows PC over the network (UDPMIDI.EXE) --> . http://www.atari-forum.com/download/file.php?id=38526

I also suggest getting a real MT-32 if you can find one, but an MT-32 is a external device anyway, so maybe this is an OK alternative?
Neo666 wrote:I've been enjoying playing games which support MIDI with this core and the Sierra games that support MT32 sound great, however there is a problem that the MT32 music with Munt is prone to dropping off - see example in this video, starting at around 15:10:

This isn't an issue with Fluidsynth but I've never been able to get a sound font that sounded the same as Munt consistently

As Sorgelig said, MUNT is CPU intensive, however there are some options available which you can experiment with:

[/media/fat/linux/MidiLink.INI]

Code: Select all

MUNT_OPTIONS =
-m : Manual buffering mode (buffer does not grow)
-a : Automatic buffering mode (default)
-x msec : Maximum buffer size in milliseconds
-i msec : Minimum (initial) buffer size in milliseconds
-l mode : Analog emulation mode (0 - Digital, 1 - Coarse, 2 - Accurate, 3 - Oversampled 2x, default: 2)
Unfortunately, you can't squeeze blood out of a turnip. Maybe some day someone will make a HDL MT-32...
BBond007
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by BBond007 »

dhester wrote:I understand that part but I meant how do I install the two other files in the zip file. How do I put them in the usr/sbin folder.
If you upload "uartmode" to say "/media/fat/AtariST" (via FTP) then you can install it using SSH or the FB console (F9) by issuing the command :

#cp /media/fat/AtariST/uartmode /usr/sbin

You really should be interested in this only if you want to test modem emulation or PPP - not MIDI...

Hope that helps...
dhester
Atariator
Atariator

Post by dhester »

Thanks for the info. I want to try modem emulation and get the ST core online.

I have freeze dried terminal, what settings on the mister and terminal software do I have to use to telnet a BBS?
Neo666
Retro freak
Retro freak

Post by Neo666 »

Sorry double post
Last edited by Neo666 on Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Neo666
Retro freak
Retro freak

Post by Neo666 »

BBond007 wrote:
You can also use the OSD "UART: MidiLink/Remote : UDP" option to send the raw MIDI data to another (more capable) device over the network.

This will allow you to send the raw MIDI data to MUNT running on your Windows PC over the network (UDPMIDI.EXE) --> . http://www.atari-forum.com/download/file.php?id=38526
Thanks "BBond007"

I tried some different Munt options for the MISTER but that didn't help

However, sending the midi data to Munt on my Windows PC works nicely!! (You can see the section where the MISTer trips up and there is a large number of packets sent very quickly)

Just need to come up with an elegant way to mix the sound to use with the MISTer, all my HDMI sources are routed through a home theatre digital amp. I'm guessing I’ll need to mix the analogue output from the mister with an analogue output from my PC?

Thanks again!
solskogen
Atari freak
Atari freak

Post by solskogen »

If anyone is having trouble with sound over HDMI I found a workaround: Go into settings and UART mode, and select midi.
NML32
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by NML32 »

Neo666 wrote:I've been enjoying playing games which support MIDI with this core and the Sierra games that support MT32 sound great, however there is a problem that the MT32 music with Munt is prone to dropping off - see example in this video, starting at around 15:10:

Many thanks
Try this and see if the stuttering in the SQ3 intro is better with Local MiDi Munt.
After SQ3 loads and the intro starts reset the UART connection in the OSD. I've tried this a few times and it seems to have helped.
ekureuil
Atariator
Atariator

Post by ekureuil »

Thank you very much sorgelig.

This port is a great addition ! I have much nostalgia associated with this one :-)
It works really nicely on almost everything i put it through.

One persistent problem i saw is the overscan in demos (is it used in games ?). The graphics are correct, but they are cut at the top and bottom. As if there was not enough room in the mister screen to display them. You can see this at the title screen of "Thunderdome, the demo" on the hard drive image that has been provided here earlier ( E:\DEMOS\CHECKPOI.NT\TD_MOLS.FIN), i know of at least another demo in this drive that displayed its credits using overscan that was cut like that but i can't remember which. Also, another demo is SNDH 4.4 (https://demozoo.org/productions/115274/) (st image on my gdrive : https://drive.google.com/open?id=1n3AWI ... 0aSLYabkrb), at the beginning the big fullscreen is cut, at least at the bottom (also later on, the music menu is buggy ... but this is another problem :-))

I don't have a mist and can't see if this is a problem with the port or not, so if anyone with a mist can test that would be great !
Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by Sorgelig »

ekureuil wrote:Thank you very much sorgelig.

This port is a great addition ! I have much nostalgia associated with this one :-)
It works really nicely on almost everything i put it through.

One persistent problem i saw is the overscan in demos (is it used in games ?). The graphics are correct, but they are cut at the top and bottom. As if there was not enough room in the mister screen to display them. You can see this at the title screen of "Thunderdome, the demo" on the hard drive image that has been provided here earlier ( E:\DEMOS\CHECKPOI.NT\TD_MOLS.FIN), i know of at least another demo in this drive that displayed its credits using overscan that was cut like that but i can't remember which. Also, another demo is SNDH 4.4 (https://demozoo.org/productions/115274/) (st image on my gdrive : https://drive.google.com/open?id=1n3AWI ... 0aSLYabkrb), at the beginning the big fullscreen is cut, at least at the bottom (also later on, the music menu is buggy ... but this is another problem :-))

I don't have a mist and can't see if this is a problem with the port or not, so if anyone with a mist can test that would be great !
just set border option to "full" and you will see the whole overscan.
Normally on CRT TV back in time you couldn't see the whole border. So border = visible should be the way how it's supposed to be seen on old CRT TV.
Neo666
Retro freak
Retro freak

Post by Neo666 »

NML32 wrote:

Many thanks
Try this and see if the stuttering in the SQ3 intro is better with Local MiDi Munt.
After SQ3 loads and the intro starts reset the UART connection in the OSD. I've tried this a few times and it seems to have helped.
Hi NML32

I've tried this and it does indeed fix the stutter, however the music doesn't sound quite right after the reset, sounds like the channels/instruments get mis-mapped. It doesn't sound terrible, and is certainly better than stutter but doesn't sound correct to me.

I've ordered some bits today to enable me to use the sound from Windows Munt, which is getting the midi data from my MISTer and works perfectly and mix with Mister's audio, plus you get more control over Munt’s settings in Windows. Will retry tomorrow once setup, hopefully this should be the next best thing to an actual MT-32 which are hard to find now and expensive too. Plus I can connect to VirtualMIDISynth for general MIDI.
ekureuil
Atariator
Atariator

Post by ekureuil »

just set border option to "full" and you will see the whole overscan.
Normally on CRT TV back in time you couldn't see the whole border. So border = visible should be the way how it's supposed to be seen on old CRT TV.
Ha ! I forgot this option ! I now remember setting it to visible because it obviously gave me a bigger screen ... Everything is now working as it should. Thanks again sorgelig.
dhester
Atariator
Atariator

Atari ST Core getting online

Post by dhester »

Please could some one help me to get the ST core on-line,

I have downloaded and installed the latest core on to the SD card, I have ftped the uartmode file to usr/sbin, nut thats as far as I can get.

Any assistance would be gratefully received.
jca

Post by jca »

There has been a lot of talk about using MIDI with the Atari core. I downloaded the MIDI link stuff from Bond007 and I have a few questions:
There is already an ini file in MISTer which more recent than the one provided by Bond007. Which one do I use?
Are the synth programs already on the MISTer distribution? If not is there any link with instructions to install them?
Neo666
Retro freak
Retro freak

Post by Neo666 »

jca wrote:There has been a lot of talk about using MIDI with the Atari core. I downloaded the MIDI link stuff from Bond007 and I have a few questions:
There is already an ini file in MISTer which more recent than the one provided by Bond007. Which one do I use?
Are the synth programs already on the MISTer distribution? If not is there any link with instructions to install them?
Midilink is now in the MISTer main including MUNT (although I think you need to supply your own MT32 ROMs for Munt and MIDI sound font for Fluidsynth) so use that ini file, so also these instructions for using with cores: (Atari ST needs no further setup)

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_Mi ... o486-Cores

You basically just need to set UART settings to MIDI, Local, Munt or Fluidsynth
Neo666
Retro freak
Retro freak

Post by Neo666 »

Got external Munt support from my Windows PC up and running nicely - SQ3 for ST now works perfectly mixing MIDI sound from PC with core sound from MISTer. I have the SPDIF on the MISTer hooked up to a Creative Sound Blaster Z sound card on my PC for mixing with the MIDI and back to my amp via SPDIF keep everything digital for crystal clear sound.

Also classic DOS Sierra games on the AO486 core with MT-32 support now sound much better (Seem even better than playing using ScummVM on PC) and much better than using Munt on MISTer - no sound drops and the music tempo is now spot on - have never heard them sound so good :D
Last edited by Neo666 on Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “MiSTer”