Random error on Gorf

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

Macro
Atari User
Atari User

Random error on Gorf

Post by Macro »

I've been adding the necessary hardware that exists on the arcade version of Astrocade to the code for the home console.

I still need to add some controls, but basically have 5 games running on it. *

Extra bases, Seawolf II, Space Zap, Wizard of Wor and Robby Roto all look to be working as expected, however, Gorf is not - the registers I am using to store the values for the pattern circuit are randomly different each time you load the file

for example, it should do ...

[:] Blit: src=0776 mode=26 dest=0049 skip=4D width=03 height=05
[:] Blit: src=0776 mode=26 dest=0279 skip=4D width=03 height=05
[:] Blit: src=0776 mode=26 dest=04A9 skip=4D width=03 height=05
[:] Blit: src=0776 mode=26 dest=06D9 skip=4D width=03 height=05

but it may do the first one or two correctly, and then have a totally different destination address for the third option (e.g. F8FF which is totally different, and it also seems to change the registers for the Magic write so it suddenly does inverse characters or similar)

Space zap and Wizard of Wor also use the pattern board and have no such problem - if it was a code error, I would expect it to do the same each run (i.e. always get the address wrong on the same iteration with the same incorrect value) - so any ideas where I should be looking ? (because I am running out of ideas)

* you don't get a screen display for newer mister builds, so at the moment I haven't updated mine - once I get it working I will update the framework and sort that bit out, but lower priority that just getting Gorf to do something! (on the odd time it succeeds in completing the scores / headings etc, you even get the bouncing gorf wander across the screen, but it usually corrupts ram with it's incorrect address and restarts before then!)

of course, it could be protection based, Gorf seems to have several things that check it is on the correct hardware, the only one I haven't yet implemented is the out to a port before you can write to a certain block of ram, but earlier versions of Mame didn't do that either, so I don't think it is that causing the problem)
Macro
Atari User
Atari User

Re: Random error on Gorf

Post by Macro »

I'm just trying to get the code into a clean enough state to release - Gorf still doesn't work, but other games look OK on older cores - for some reason I only get debug info and stars on the newer cores (after 2nd Feb)

once that has been sorted I will stick it in github

fixed the video problem - was in the MRA files, not the core
Last edited by Macro on Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LamerDeluxe
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Post by LamerDeluxe »

I love Gorf, it was the first game I had for my first computer (VIC-20). So I hope you will be able to get it to work. I'm looking forward to being able to try your updates.
Macro
Atari User
Atari User

Post by Macro »

Core now in github for those who are interested.
Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by Sorgelig »

i'm kind of confused.
There is already Astrocade core for MiSTer: https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Astrocade_MiSTer
What's difference?
LamerDeluxe

Post by LamerDeluxe »

Macro wrote:Core now in github for those who are interested.
Cool new additions! I like Seawolf and Space Zap.

The inputs are slightly confusing to me, assigning buttons asks for directions twice, I've mapped the second set to the right analog stick of my controller, but it seems to control coin and start. The buttons I've assigned to those functions don't seem to do anything.

I seem to be stuck in some kind of set-up menu in Robby Roto when starting it. Pushing the right stick down-left goes to a next step, but it keeps looping to the first option.

Wizard of Wor is upside-down on HDMI.

I hope you'll get Gorf working.
Macro
Atari User
Atari User

Post by Macro »

check the dip switches on each game - that is the wizard upside down at least, also check that service mode is off on everything.

also on one of them, don't select Foreign, as that needs an extra rom which isn't present in that set of roms

sounds like I have the defaults in the mra files incorrectly set. (and probably the wrong controls in the header string, since all the games use different controls)
Last edited by Macro on Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Macro
Atari User
Atari User

Post by Macro »

Sorgelig wrote:There is already Astrocade core for MiSTer: https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Astrocade_MiSTer
What's difference?
The home console has an arcade board built around it - uses the same custom chipset, but the arcade version has additional hardware which I have added to the original Astrocade core so that it can run the games. There are too many differences to be able to keep it as a single core.

It was fairly common back in the day - Amiga's, PS2's, Xbox's, Jaguar and dreamcast consoles all have beefed up arcade versions (and no doubt more I haven't mentioned)
reflex
Atari freak
Atari freak

Post by reflex »

Macro wrote:
Sorgelig wrote:There is already Astrocade core for MiSTer: https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Astrocade_MiSTer
What's difference?
The home console has an arcade board built around it - uses the same custom chipset, but the arcade version has additional hardware which I have added to the original Astrocade core so that it can run the games. There are too many differences to be able to keep it as a single core.

It was fairly common back in the day - Amiga's, PS2's, Xbox's, Jaguar and dreamcast consoles all have beefed up arcade versions (and no doubt more I haven't mentioned)
Too bad Sega-Naomi would be completely impossible. Ah well, maybe a FPGA a decade from now could handle it...
LamerDeluxe

Post by LamerDeluxe »

Macro wrote:check the dip switches on each game - that is the wizard upside down at least, also check that service mode is off on everything.

also on one of them, don't select Foreign, as that needs an extra rom which isn't present in that set of roms

sounds like I have the defaults in the mra files incorrectly set. (and probably the wrong controls in the header string, since all the games use different controls)
Thanks for the tips. Wizard of War was indeed set to flipped in the dip-switch settings. Still can't get out of the settings menu of Robby Roto, even after changing some of the dip-switch settings.
Macro
Atari User
Atari User

Post by Macro »

can you take a screen shot, I can't remember a settings screen on Roto
LamerDeluxe

Post by LamerDeluxe »

Macro wrote:can you take a screen shot, I can't remember a settings screen on Roto
I can't take a screenshot at the moment, but the first screen is some white text with difficulty settings and some other things, then there's a screen with a white grid and a single number, then some screens filled with three bars of different colors IIRC, then it loops back to a screen filling with vertical white lines followed by the text menu again.
I have to press down-left on the second direction button-set to proceed to the next step, but I can't get out of this sequence.
Or maybe this is a really abstract game and I don't understand the rules haha.
Macro
Atari User
Atari User

Post by Macro »

Grab the latest mra file for Robby Roto - seems I left the service switch setting out of that one, and you must have it set 'On'
LamerDeluxe

Post by LamerDeluxe »

Macro wrote:Grab the latest mra file for Robby Roto - seems I left the service switch setting out of that one, and you must have it set 'On'
Yes, that fixed it, thanks! Settings was indeed on by default. This game has a weird interlacing-like vertical jitter on HDMI.

Any chance of fixing the button input coin/start second directional set issue? I still have to use those directions to insert a coin and start (by pressing left-down).
Macro
Atari User
Atari User

Post by Macro »

jittering is mentioned in the read.me - stick on HQ2 mode, that makes it look better on HDMI

tell me a core that works fine with your joystick and I will have a look to see if I use the same buttons or not.
LamerDeluxe

Post by LamerDeluxe »

Macro wrote:jittering is mentioned in the read.me - stick on HQ2 mode, that makes it look better on HDMI

tell me a core that works fine with your joystick and I will have a look to see if I use the same buttons or not.
I'm using a standard dualshock 4 controller, it works fine with all other cores. With the arcade cores I normally use the share button as coin and the start button for start, I assigned it that way with this core as well, but these buttons are completely ignored while running.
When the button assignment asks me to input a second set of directions I used the right analog stick. This results in left-down on the analog stick triggering coin+start with this core, but left and down individually don't seem to do anything.

The jittering to me looks like interlacing with a vertical offset of one pixel instead of half a pixel that it would normally be on a CRT display. I don't know how other cores handle interlacing, or if it is not supported with the MiSTer on an HDMI output.
Macro
Atari User
Atari User

Post by Macro »

Back to the original problem, I now know what the root cause is, and can patch around it (certainly for attract mode - need to investigate a little more to see if patching causes any problems in game)
20200403_215650-screen.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LamerDeluxe

Post by LamerDeluxe »

Macro wrote:Back to the original problem, I now know what the root cause is, and can patch around it (certainly for attract mode - need to investigate a little more to see if patching causes any problems in game)

20200403_215650-screen.png
Great news! I'm really looking forward to it.
djmartins
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by djmartins »

Fingers crossed y'all can get it running!
Macro
Atari User
Atari User

Post by Macro »

Now fixed and works with unpatched roms.

Still working through a few bits (remove debug code, flicker on HDMI, stereo and controls) and should be able to do a new release shortly.
Macro
Atari User
Atari User

Post by Macro »

github question - if I try to upload a file that hasn't changed, will it just ignore it ?

(losing track of all the changes I've made in the past few days ...)
LamerDeluxe

Post by LamerDeluxe »

Macro wrote:Now fixed and works with unpatched roms.

Still working through a few bits (remove debug code, flicker on HDMI, stereo and controls) and should be able to do a new release shortly.
Awesome! Can't wait. Great work on fixing your recently released Arcade Astrocade cores as well.
LamerDeluxe

Post by LamerDeluxe »

I saw the Arcade Astrocade update. Gorf is working great! Awesome job, a very good addition to the MiSTer arsenal.
Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by Sorgelig »

Macro wrote:github question - if I try to upload a file that hasn't changed, will it just ignore it ?

(losing track of all the changes I've made in the past few days ...)
if file is not changed then it won't be in commit. But i use local git to work, so i'm not sure about exact behaviour of online tools.
killersquirel
Atarian
Atarian

Post by killersquirel »

I am loving the arcade-astrocade core and it's a great addition to the MiSTer. Is there any possibility of getting Professor Pac Man to work on it? That game uses the same hardware.

Return to “MiSTer”