Help with porting Arduboy core?

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

BitsNStuff
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Re: Help with porting Arduboy core?

Post by BitsNStuff »

Just used the update script and it's downloaded the Arduboy core for the first time, instead of downloading it in the console core it's actually put it in the root of the Fat folder.
Newsdee
Atari God
Atari God

Post by Newsdee »

Maybe it can be out into a "Misc" or "Other" category? The Chip8 core would fit there as well.
BitsNStuff

Post by BitsNStuff »

Yeah, I've put in Console for now as it seemd the most suitable of the default folders but something like _Other Cores or something else along those lines would probably suit those two better. I mean, who knows what other cores will end up being created by people as things move forwards and more and more of the major systems are completed.
uXe
Atari freak
Atari freak

Post by uXe »

Sorgelig wrote:I was thinking about screen rotation, but as far as i know Arduboy uses only horizontal mode - otherwise it's hard to hold it in hands and play. 1943 for Arduboy is horizontal shooter unlike on arcade/console.
There was a 'special edition' Arduboy with the screen oriented vertically, but it was locked down with an officially licensed version of Tetris:

https://arduboy.com/store/tetris-microcard/

Some users did re-program their unit though, by connecting directly to the ICSP headers, and some games were written targeting this vertically-oriented Arduboy, like this rotated version of 1943 (have just added to the collection repo for you to try out):

https://github.com/uXeBoy/ArduboyCollec ... n?raw=true

...again, not certain though if it is worth the complications that rotation might add just for the sake of these few games?
Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by Sorgelig »

uXe wrote:...again, not certain though if it is worth the complications that rotation might add just for the sake of these few games?
don't you mind if i will push the changes directly to your repository without PR?
uXe
Atari freak
Atari freak

Post by uXe »

No problem :)
Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by Sorgelig »

I've pushed the option to rotate the screen.
Locutus73
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by Locutus73 »

Arduboy is listed as “Other Systems” in the Wiki. This category isn’t mapped to any subdir, so the core goes into the SD root. Where Arduboy should be placed? _Console?

Thank you in advance.
Regards.
Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by Sorgelig »

It's better to create _Other dir.
redsteakraw
Atari freak
Atari freak

Post by redsteakraw »

Sorgelig wrote:It's better to create _Other dir.
Technically arduboy is a console platform. You can put it in an other section but what else would go there? Would it make sense to make a sub-directory just for a single entry? I would be fine with it but eventually what else would occupy that space along with Arduboy? Arduinos and micro controllers? Hobbyist computers and other DIY platforms maybe. I don't know.
BitsNStuff

Post by BitsNStuff »

redsteakraw wrote:
Sorgelig wrote:It's better to create _Other dir.
Technically arduboy is a console platform. You can put it in an other section but what else would go there? Would it make sense to make a sub-directory just for a single entry? I would be fine with it but eventually what else would occupy that space along with Arduboy? Arduinos and micro controllers? Hobbyist computers and other DIY platforms maybe. I don't know.
Chip-8 would seem appropriate to join it there, I think.
peepsalot
Atari User
Atari User

Post by peepsalot »

Yeah, while I can see how Chip-8 would be "_Other", I would consider Arduboy as much of a Console as a GameBoy.

If creating a new classification specifically for Arduboy, I would say "_Handheld" would make more sense, and other GB/GBC/GBA etc. could move there with it. Except it might be slight problem in a couple cases like SMS/GameGear use the same core if I remember correctly?
I guess cores could just be duplicated in those cases... it could be nice if "console" copy of the core and the "handheld" copy could have different default rom paths defined.
reflex
Atari freak
Atari freak

Post by reflex »

peepsalot wrote:Yeah, while I can see how Chip-8 would be "_Other", I would consider Arduboy as much of a Console as a GameBoy.

If creating a new classification specifically for Arduboy, I would say "_Handheld" would make more sense, and other GB/GBC/GBA etc. could move there with it. Except it might be slight problem in a couple cases like SMS/GameGear use the same core if I remember correctly?
I guess cores could just be duplicated in those cases... it could be nice if "console" copy of the core and the "handheld" copy could have different default rom paths defined.
This would make a lot of sense, but could also apply to computers.
senkun
Atariator
Atariator

Post by senkun »

rsz_dsc_0499_1.jpg
Using direct video, hdmi to vga adapter to RGBS crt monitor, all cores output perfectly, except Arduboy wherein getting a double image as per pic.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sajattack
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Post by sajattack »

senkun wrote:rsz_dsc_0499_1.jpg

Using direct video, hdmi to vga adapter to RGBS crt monitor, all cores output perfectly, except Arduboy wherein getting a double image as per pic.
That's what happens when a core is over 240p.
Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by Sorgelig »

senkun wrote:
rsz_dsc_0499_1.jpg
because this core is 31KHz-only on VGA/Direct Video
senkun
Atariator
Atariator

Post by senkun »

Sorgelig wrote: because this core is 31KHz-only on VGA/Direct Video
Ah. Wouldn't it be nice if we had a complement to the scandoubler fix, the scanhalver fix?
Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by Sorgelig »

@uXe:
since all games are basically free, it would be good to move the whole library to Arduboy repository (can make games folder). So it will be easier to find them.
uXe
Atari freak
Atari freak

Post by uXe »

It is true that the games are 'free', but they also have many different licenses, all with their own terms around distribution... there are already a couple of repos that have popped up to make downloading the games easier:

https://github.com/RetroDriven/MiSTerArduboy
https://github.com/treyturner/MiSTer-Arduboy-Downloader

I feel OK about the .bin files that I have up as a fork of the ArduboyCollection repo, because I know eried is mindful of having the author's permission to have the games included in his collection, and details for all of the licenses are included in his collection repo... I dunno, I'm not going to say no to having a games folder, just something to keep in mind I guess?
redsteakraw
Atari freak
Atari freak

Post by redsteakraw »

uXe wrote:It is true that the games are 'free', but they also have many different licenses, all with their own terms around distribution... there are already a couple of repos that have popped up to make downloading the games easier:

https://github.com/RetroDriven/MiSTerArduboy
https://github.com/treyturner/MiSTer-Arduboy-Downloader

I feel OK about the .bin files that I have up as a fork of the ArduboyCollection repo, because I know eried is mindful of having the author's permission to have the games included in his collection, and details for all of the licenses are included in his collection repo... I dunno, I'm not going to say no to having a games folder, just something to keep in mind I guess?
Unless there is a prohibition on distribution I see no problem with including them. Most are open source, BSD, Apache, MIT, GPL and ALL Creative Commons licenses allow redistribution. I would say include all games that allow redistribution. As MiSTer isn't a commercial endeavor it would even be fine to include CC-BY-NC games.
Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by Sorgelig »

I've added HEX loading. Conversion to BIN is not required any more.
uXe
Atari freak
Atari freak

Post by uXe »

Sorgelig wrote:I've added HEX loading. Conversion to BIN is not required any more.
Thanks! Have made a new release. :D (HEX files won't be padded out to 32K though, which may possibly lead to issues - if you load a large HEX, and then a small one, some of the older larger file would still remain?)

I've seen a lot of people mentioning issues with video - I guess when not using HDMI? Because it is a non-standard resolution - is it not possible (or just not desirable?) to just pad the screen out with blank areas to make it more standard? This is how I had it working originally... I've read that it even works for some people in vertical but not horizontal mode (different number of lines)? :shrug:
Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by Sorgelig »

uXe wrote:HEX files won't be padded out to 32K though, which may possibly lead to issues - if you load a large HEX, and then a small one, some of the older larger file would still remain?
Correctly written program doesn't read beyond the occupied space. You can add the clearing remaining memory or mask it using last loaded address.
uXe wrote:I've seen a lot of people mentioning issues with video - I guess when not using HDMI? Because it is a non-standard resolution - is it not possible (or just not desirable?) to just pad the screen out with blank areas to make it more standard? This is how I had it working originally... I've read that it even works for some people in vertical but not horizontal mode (different number of lines)?
I suggest to make 15KHz video, so it will be compatible with TV. Scandoubler can be used to be able to switch to 32KHz.
uXe
Atari freak
Atari freak

Post by uXe »

Sorgelig wrote:I suggest to make 15KHz video, so it will be compatible with TV. Scandoubler can be used to be able to switch to 32KHz.
Sounds ideal - can you please help make these changes to your code? (I'm not certain where to start!)
Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by Sorgelig »

Ok, i will help.

Return to “MiSTer”