Best ways to transfer files to SD card in MiSTer?

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

RabidWookie
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Best ways to transfer files to SD card in MiSTer?

Post by RabidWookie »

I'd love to find a better way to transfer files than constantly swapping my SD card back and forth. Can anyone walk me through the best options?
GoingDown
Atari User
Atari User

Re: Best ways to transfer files to SD card in MiSTer?

Post by GoingDown »

Do you have possibility to connect your MiSTer to network (lan cable)? Then you could enable either sftp or samba/cifs service on it, and copy files via network.
jca
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Post by jca »

You do not have anything to do to use FTP. This is the way I transfer anything to the SD card and I did not set anything on Mister. May be I should check as there is a timeout which is not very long. But until now I did not bother.
Jean-Claude
Lroby74
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by Lroby74 »

RabidWookie wrote:I'd love to find a better way to transfer files than constantly swapping my SD card back and forth. Can anyone walk me through the best options?
I've never did it one time on my Mister, since first time always used FileZilla for FTP files transfer (binary! Not Ascii)
BitsNStuff

Post by BitsNStuff »

I use FileZilla to remotely transfer files across to mine. There are quite a few FTP choices out there but I've only used Filezilla so can'y really comment on the others, I'm sure other people who use them will be able give you some info though.

If it's a hefty transfer rather than a few files though, it's often just quicker for me to unplug the SD card and plug into my PC directly. I use an Micro SD to SD extension cable on my MiSTer though as it means that I avoid undue pressure on the Micro SD slot on the PCB as it's not the sturdiest of things. I'm not suggesting that you need one of those but I do tend to be overly cautions, it cost about £3 and I'm happy using it.

RabidWookie
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Post by RabidWookie »

I plug an ethernet cable from my router into the MiSTer to use the update scripts, how would I set something up to see it from my computer and move files?
RabidWookie
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Post by RabidWookie »

BitsNStuff wrote: If it's a hefty transfer rather than a few files though, it's often just quicker for me to unplug the SD card and plug into my PC directly. I use an Micro SD to SD extension cable on my MiSTer though as it means that I avoid undue pressure on the Micro SD slot on the PCB as it's not the sturdiest of things. I'm not suggesting that you need one of those but I do tend to be overly cautions, it cost about £3 and I'm happy using it.

I had no idea such a thing existed. I share your concerns, unfortunately that device wouldn't work with the Lego case I made for the MiSTer.
ragnar76
Atari freak
Atari freak

Post by ragnar76 »

I prefer to use ssh/scp on a linux console (or even windows with win 10s linux subsystem). for me, this fits very well into my workflow. If you prefer gui tools, you can use filezille or winscp
BitsNStuff

Post by BitsNStuff »

RabidWookie wrote:
BitsNStuff wrote: If it's a hefty transfer rather than a few files though, it's often just quicker for me to unplug the SD card and plug into my PC directly. I use an Micro SD to SD extension cable on my MiSTer though as it means that I avoid undue pressure on the Micro SD slot on the PCB as it's not the sturdiest of things. I'm not suggesting that you need one of those but I do tend to be overly cautions, it cost about £3 and I'm happy using it.

I had no idea such a thing existed. I share your concerns, unfortunately that device wouldn't work with the Lego case I made for the MiSTer.
It's Lego, change it!! :P

I'm not sure if anybody has actually had any issues with it but I just don't trust that port. You could probably get better quality cables than the one I have and if it was going inside a case I would get a sturdier cable, the clips that attach the cable to the aren't particularly firm but I actually see that as a positive, they're strong enough to keep it in the port but if any extra pressure was put on it but the cable getting pulled or some such thing then it really feels like it would just come loose and the DE10 stay exactly where it was. :D
RabidWookie wrote:I plug an ethernet cable from my router into the MiSTer to use the update scripts, how would I set something up to see it from my computer and move files?
I'm really not an expert at this stuff but there is a wiki entry for remote access and that worked for me.
https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_Mi ... ork-access
RabidWookie
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Post by RabidWookie »

BitsNStuff wrote:
RabidWookie wrote:

It's Lego, change it!! :P

I'm not sure if anybody has actually had any issues with it but I just don't trust that port. You could probably get better quality cables than the one I have and if it was going inside a case I would get a sturdier cable, the clips that attach the cable to the aren't particularly firm but I actually see that as a positive, they're strong enough to keep it in the port but if any extra pressure was put on it but the cable getting pulled or some such thing then it really feels like it would just come loose and the DE10 stay exactly where it was. :D
RabidWookie wrote:I plug an ethernet cable from my router into the MiSTer to use the update scripts, how would I set something up to see it from my computer and move files?
I'm really not an expert at this stuff but there is a wiki entry for remote access and that worked for me.
https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_Mi ... ork-access
Thanks for the link, I'll check it out. If I went with the extension cable for the sd card I'd build a Lego enclosure on the side of the case for it so the SD card end looked like it was built into the case.
telengard
Atari freak
Atari freak

Post by telengard »

I use rsync (requires networking), a simple script sits on my MiSTer SD card and I run it when I have new files on my computer I want on the MiSTer. Thanks to whomever added rsync to the linux image!
Newsdee
Atari God
Atari God

Post by Newsdee »

I can vouch for Filezilla as well. Just remember to set that binary mode or use SFTP.

Lately I have also been using the samba share for the MiSTer that is plugged physically into my router.
warham

Post by warham »

a program called free file sync along with samba is useful
warham

Post by warham »

BitsNStuff wrote:
How big of an SD card can you use with this? The ones i saw on amazon said 32gb max but im guessing you have exceeded that.
Last edited by warham on Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
BitsNStuff

Post by BitsNStuff »

warham wrote:
BitsNStuff wrote: IMAGE REMOVED AS WE DON'T NEED TO KEEP SEEING IT
How big of an SD card can you use with this? The ones i saw on amazon said 32gb max but im guessing you have exceeded that.
I'm currently using a 256GB and have been using it for a few months and not had any issues at all so far. It's probably more than I'll ever need on MiSTer as I do own the Analogue consoles too and theres no point me having the same games on both systems.

This is the type/brand of Micro SD card that I use. I always advise people against buying forwards with SD cards due to ow rapidly the prices drop, I'd only really ever buy a "well I may need it at some point" capacity card if they're heavily discounted in a sale.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Mobile ... 839&sr=8-1

Return to “MiSTer”