VGA component output is tinted pink, any ideas on how to fix it?

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

RabidWookie
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

VGA component output is tinted pink, any ideas on how to fix it?

Post by RabidWookie »

I loaded the mister.ini file into the SD card root and the only change I made was entering a 1 for yprpb (I'm connecting to a 480i Sony Trinitron via component vga cable). Any thoughts on why the screen is pink?
Gamepimp
Atari User
Atari User

Re: VGA component output is tinted pink, any ideas on how to fix it?

Post by Gamepimp »

I have the same issue. I have two Sony Trinitron TVs. One is standard definition (240p/480i) and the other is high definition (480p). On both of them, the component output has recently become tinged with a pink hue on the menu core as well as the console cores. What is even more bizarre is that it doesn't seem like the preferences set in the .ini file are being adhered to. I have the RBF datecodes set to "1" so they won't be displayed. However, they still appear next to each core name. There is some weird symbol ("@" perhaps?) that appears next to the MiSTer title. And when I enable the VGA scaler option, it doesn't seem to impact the video output. When I last used MiSTer a couple months ago, everything was fine and the picture was normal. Perhaps this was something introduced in one of the recent menu or MiSTer file changes?
MiSTeR.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
amadama
Atari User
Atari User

Post by amadama »

Make sure your mister.ini file is in the root of the SD card.
While before it worked ok in the config directory, that was changed in an update.
RabidWookie
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Post by RabidWookie »

My ini file is in the root, and my picture looks just like gamepimps.
crocky
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Post by crocky »

Your VGA plug is loose or something.
RabidWookie
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Post by RabidWookie »

No, it's not.
sajattack
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Post by sajattack »

Could be a poorly soldered resistor on the IO board.
crocky
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Post by crocky »

TWINKYTWONKA
Atariator
Atariator

Post by TWINKYTWONKA »

sajattack wrote:Could be a poorly soldered resistor on the IO board.
its definitely this or the wrong resistor.
crocky
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Post by crocky »

Nothing definite about failing resistors. Recently MiSTer added the alt ini file, looks like accidentally choosing the wrong ini file will give the same pink tint.

People with pink tint try this
"To switch between MiSTer.ini and MiSTer_alt.ini you have to be on the Main Menu and press at the same time the OSD Menu + Core Reset buttons on the I/O board (the two buttons on the Right)."

From NML32's video.

Basically your MiSTer is outputting composite to video signal only on the Y line and missing Pb.
NML32
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by NML32 »

crocky wrote:Nothing definite about failing resistors. Recently MiSTer added the alt ini file, looks like accidentally choosing the wrong ini file will give the same pink tint.

People with pink tint try this
"To switch between MiSTer.ini and MiSTer_alt.ini you have to be on the Main Menu and press at the same time the OSD Menu + Core Reset buttons on the I/O board (the two buttons on the Right)."

From NML32's video.

Basically your MiSTer is outputting composite to video signal only on the Y line and missing Pb.
You have to manually create a MiSTer_alt.ini file to switch between the two.
RabidWookie
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Post by RabidWookie »

I just renamed the mister.ini file in the root and tried to toggle, when I hit the 2 io board buttons at the same time it just acts as if I hit the osd menu button by itself.
RabidWookie
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Post by RabidWookie »

Before I added the mister.ini file to try and get component output working there was no mister.ini file anywhere on my sd card. Is that normal?
Gamepimp
Atari User
Atari User

Post by Gamepimp »

RabidWookie wrote:Before I added the mister.ini file to try and get component output working there was no mister.ini file anywhere on my sd card. Is that normal?
When you first set up the SD card, there is an example .ini file that is created. You have to rename that to “MiSTer.ini” or create a new file with that name. This used to go in the “config” folder, but now it apparently goes in the root of the card. Once I fixed that, the component video output was normal on my Sony TVs. :D
RabidWookie
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Post by RabidWookie »

Gamepimp wrote:
RabidWookie wrote:Before I added the mister.ini file to try and get component output working there was no mister.ini file anywhere on my sd card. Is that normal?
When you first set up the SD card, there is an example .ini file that is created. You have to rename that to “MiSTer.ini” or create a new file with that name. This used to go in the “config” folder, but now it apparently goes in the root of the card. Once I fixed that, the component video output was normal on my Sony TVs. :D
So you just renamed mister_example.ini to mister.ini and it solved everything?
Gamepimp
Atari User
Atari User

Post by Gamepimp »

Actually I had my original .ini file and it was in the "config" folder. I moved it to the root of the SD card, deleted the example .ini file, and everything worked as it had before.
RabidWookie
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Post by RabidWookie »

Does it work perfectly in both hdmi and component out modes without having to toggle ini files?
Gamepimp
Atari User
Atari User

Post by Gamepimp »

RabidWookie wrote:Does it work perfectly in both hdmi and component out modes without having to toggle ini files?
I'm not familiar with the "toggle" function. I've always just enabled/disabled the YPbPr option in the .ini file depending on whether I want to use MiSTer on my CRTs or on my HDTV. Lately I've been using it on the CRTs and was just concerned that the output was pink with the latest updates of the menu, MiSTer, and core files. The issue there seemed to be the fact that the system wasn't looking at the .ini file and instead was just using some "default" values.
RabidWookie
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Post by RabidWookie »

Gamepimp wrote:
RabidWookie wrote:Does it work perfectly in both hdmi and component out modes without having to toggle ini files?
I'm not familiar with the "toggle" function. I've always just enabled/disabled the YPbPr option in the .ini file depending on whether I want to use MiSTer on my CRTs or on my HDTV. Lately I've been using it on the CRTs and was just concerned that the output was pink with the latest updates of the menu, MiSTer, and core files. The issue there seemed to be the fact that the system wasn't looking at the .ini file and instead was just using some "default" values.
What happens if you don't disable the ypbpr option and swap out vga cable for hdmi?
Gamepimp
Atari User
Atari User

Post by Gamepimp »

RabidWookie wrote:What happens if you don't disable the ypbpr option and swap out vga cable for hdmi?
Are you running the HDMI to a HDTV or into a HDMI to component converter and then to your CRT? I can test the first scenario, but I don't have a converter to test that second one.
RabidWookie
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Post by RabidWookie »

I'm running HDMI to an HDTV and VGA out to component inputs on a 480i CRT.
RabidWookie
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Post by RabidWookie »

Could you post your working ini files?
Gamepimp
Atari User
Atari User

Post by Gamepimp »

See attached. This is the only .ini file I have. It is currently in the root of my SD card. Currently I only use MiSTer on my CRTs.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RabidWookie
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Post by RabidWookie »

I just copied your ini file onto my sd card root and deleted the old mister.ini, the screen is still pink :x
Gamepimp
Atari User
Atari User

Post by Gamepimp »

Ugh! That sux. :( Do you have your computer set up to see file extensions? I set up a new SD card for testing and accidentally named my .ini file as "MiSTer.ini.ini" because I didn't have the computer I set it up on configured to view file extensions. If that's not the issue, you might try wiping the SD card, formatting it again with the SD card installer, and then make sure you have the latest menu, MiSTer, and core files. It could be that something is just "off" in the current setup and the system is not seeing the .ini file for some reason.

Return to “MiSTer”