MiSTer Fan

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

Locutus73
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Re: MiSTer Fan

Post by Locutus73 »

Peredonov wrote:Is that just a 5V fan connected to the 3.3V GPIO connectors?
Exactly: you have both 5.0V and 3.3V there and, obviously, with 3.3V the fan spins slowly and is quieter. The acrylic case is cut with a dremel and is kept together by the fan with double tape.

Regards.

Locutus73

leonquest
Atarian
Atarian

Post by leonquest »

Sorry to bump this thread. I have a new MISTer setup and I'd like to know whether the fan should pulling air from the FPGA or pushing air into the FPGA?

I have seen experiments on push/pull setups for PCs and the temps are usually the same for both setups.

I personally would prefer to have it pull since I'm planning to use a case for it, so it sounds ideal for me to want the hot air to go up instead of sideways (?) directly through the vent made for it. However, I have seen multiple setups on different threads here in this forum where every single MISTer owner uses a push setup for the fan. Is there a reasoning behing this?

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by Sorgelig »

pulling the air is always less effective. If you will simulate the air flow you will see that air when pulling it goes from sides making the center in static less pressure state. So heatsink will be less effective. When air is pushed to heatsink then it strikes the heatsink making it more effective.
But you can experiment - chip doesn't need strong airflow. But with pushing you can make fan slower and more silent.

leonquest
Atarian
Atarian

Post by leonquest »

Sorgelig wrote:pulling the air is always less effective. If you will simulate the air flow you will see that air when pulling it goes from sides making the center in static less pressure state. So heatsink will be less effective. When air is pushed to heatsink then it strikes the heatsink making it more effective.
But you can experiment - chip doesn't need strong airflow. But with pushing you can make fan slower and more silent.
And push it is! thank you very much for your input sorgelig!

mutmuthux
Atari freak
Atari freak

Post by mutmuthux »

Someone posted this link in the I/O board thread, so not sure if it works from personal experience

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1000001 ... p3XR5&mp=1

richx
Atarian
Atarian

Post by richx »

The Cyclone SoC on my DE10-nano seems to only reach max 145F/63C running open air without heatsink or fan, measured with IR thermometer. No I/O board installed or plexi glass trapping heat. Underside of PCB measures 125F. Are other people seeing higher temperatures or issues without heatsink/fan? Will still install the heatsink.

werpu
Atariator
Atariator

Post by werpu »

field3d wrote:
BBond007 wrote:
field3d wrote:Hello I bought a MiSTer without fan and I need a fan. Of course, is not necessary the noctura. Anyone knows about link in Amazon or wherever bot buy a cheap fan for the MiSTer?

Thank you
You just need to search for 40mm fan 5v. I have heard 12v can also be used for quieter operation. The cheapest will probably be from eBay shipped from China or Hong Kong for around $1 USD.

There will be many to choose from and you can pick one that meets your noise-level, cost and delivery time requirements.
Ok perfect. I will look for 5V.

Thank you
Well I usually run 12V Noctua Fans in 5V they work quite fine that way and are basically silent in that mode.
So it is not true that you cannot run Noctua fans outside of their standard voltage. I had mixed results but overall 12V in 5V mode worked fine for me on all devices where I applied Noctua fans (mostly Rasperry PIs, where I attach the 12V fans to the 5v power pones on the GPIo.

Ok... additional info, I just checked my mister io board, I am using a Noctua 12V fan (NF-A4x10FLX) and have put the fan connector via a jumper into 5V mode (I could figure it out from the circuit scheme which jumper it was)
So the 12v fan runs now on 5v and is dead silent while still spinning and pushing air. Standard 3.3V on the fan connector was not enough to push the fan, bit it probably is enough to have a 5v fan run more silently.

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by Sorgelig »

5V on 12V fan is much bigger drop than 3.3V on 5V fan.
I suggest to use 5V fan. Who know how 12V fan will work after some time - it may stop due to dust and garbage...

Return to “MiSTer”