Direct Bluetooth gamepad support

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

guvner
Atariator
Atariator

Re: Direct Bluetooth gamepad support

Post by guvner »

I tried that first and it didn't pair. I will try again later with a couple of different gamepads.
guvner
Atariator
Atariator

Post by guvner »

Somehow this isn't working quite right for me. I tried with a ps4 controller, 8bitdo m30 and 8bitdo nes30. Only the nes30 eventually connected, but only after a lot of tries and strangely when it wasn't even in pairing mode, it was just on and sitting on my desk. Every other time, whenever I enter pairing mode on one of these controllers, the MiSTer says "nothing found".
Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by Sorgelig »

guvner wrote:I tried that first and it didn't pair. I will try again later with a couple of different gamepads.
I've just paired PS4 gamepad - works fine. I guess you know how to put PS4 gamepad into pairing mode.
guvner
Atariator
Atariator

Post by guvner »

yes, share and ps button...
Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by Sorgelig »

May be environment in your place is too noisy.
guvner
Atariator
Atariator

Post by guvner »

Problem was with my usb hub. I tried every port and with the last one, finally all 3 controllers connected and work.
wesclemens
Retro freak
Retro freak

Post by wesclemens »

Are you using a powered USB hub? I had spotty connection issue with my 8Bitdo receiver. Once I upgraded to a powered hub, no more dropped connection, no more pairing issues.
guvner
Atariator
Atariator

Post by guvner »

No, I use a passive MakerSpot hub. I never had a problem with the 8bitdo receiver but my bluetooth dongle seems to be a bit more finicky.
Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by Sorgelig »

passive HUBs are highly not recommended!
So any bugs you will see or fried DE10 - at your own risk.

Btw, PS3 gamepad pairing will be simplified in the next release. It will be like on PS3.
Locutus73
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by Locutus73 »

Can 8bitdo controllers be paired in any mode?
I was thinking it would be cool to pair them in Apple mode, so they could be used this way:
X-input mode: auto pairing to a gaming PC
D-input mode: auto pairing to an 8bitdo retroreceiver (i.e. for an Analogue console)
Switch mode: auto pairing to Nintendo Switch.
Apple mode: auto pairing to MiSTer.

Thank you in advance.
Best regards.

Locutus73
Glaurung
Atari freak
Atari freak

Post by Glaurung »

Awesome! thanks Sorg!

Have you ever noticed if there is any kind of INPUT LAG while playing with BT controller?
Usually on raspi there is more lag when you play with BT.
guvner
Atariator
Atariator

Post by guvner »

bluetooth will always add a certain amount of input lag. Compared to the 8bitdo adapter I don't notice any difference with the generic receiver (both are bluetooth, so there shouldn't be any anyway..) so this is great. If you want less lag, you'll just have to use a wired connection.
Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by Sorgelig »

Locutus73 wrote:Can 8bitdo controllers be paired in any mode?
All modes should work over BT. Some modes are crippled. For example X-Input mode uses keyboard code for "menu" button which is surprising because 8bitdo receiver has joystick key code for this button. While you still can use this button for OSD, you won't be able to use it for autofire and mouse emulation operations. So, in general i don't recommend XInput mode for 8bitdo gamepad with direct BT connection. Other modes may have other limitations. D-Input is best mode for 8bitdo direct BT connection so far.
Glaurung wrote:Have you ever noticed if there is any kind of INPUT LAG while playing with BT controller?
Those who obsessed by input lag should not ask this question. They must use only direct USB connection :)
Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by Sorgelig »

Update about 8bitdo X-Input "menu" key: it comes from the same virtual input device as gamepad, so i can add tweak, so this button can be used.
In PSC mode (8bitdo receiver) button combos come from separate virtual keyboard device, so there OSD button cannot be re-mapped and used for autofire/mouse emu.
Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by Sorgelig »

8bitdo gamepad in Apple mode has VID/PID of dualshock 4. Since it's obviously not DS4, driver doesn't understand how to handle it. So it can connect to BT in Apple mode but id doesn't work.
Locutus73
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by Locutus73 »

Sorgelig wrote:8bitdo gamepad in Apple mode has VID/PID of dualshock 4.
Whoa, these Chinese firmware developers are weird :shrug:
Sorgelig wrote:Since it's obviously not DS4, driver doesn't understand how to handle it. So it can connect to BT in Apple mode but id doesn't work.
I understand... I always wondered what they meant by "Apple mode"... do Macs need a specific mode???
I hoped I would be able to use "Apple mode" just as a 4th pairing setting for 8bitdos controllers.

Thank you.
Regards.

Locutus73
Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by Sorgelig »

it seems possible to replace VID while connecting through BT. So, i will try to use some non-sony VID for 8bitdo.
Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by Sorgelig »

Locutus73 wrote:I always wondered what they meant by "Apple mode"... do Macs need a specific mode???
By Apple mode i believe they mean iCade mode which is pramrily for iPad/iPhone. But why need to use Dualshock 4 ID is beyond my understanding.
Locutus73
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by Locutus73 »

Sorgelig wrote:it seems possible to replace VID while connecting through BT. So, i will try to use some non-sony VID for 8bitdo.
Great! That would be supercool.
Sorgelig wrote:
Locutus73 wrote:I always wondered what they meant by "Apple mode"... do Macs need a specific mode???
By Apple mode i believe they mean iCade mode which is pramrily for iPad/iPhone. But why need to use Dualshock 4 ID is beyond my understanding.
I'm not sure... I mean, I expressed myself badly, I said "Apple mode", but 8bitdo refers to it in the manuals as "macOS mode" so it seems related to OSX. If you look at some old manuals, specifically the ones for old legacy firmwares, there was an "iOS mode" which I think is the iCade mode you're referring to.

Thank you.
Regards.

Locutus73
Newsdee
Atari God
Atari God

Post by Newsdee »

It's so interesting that the VID/PID is the DS4. I suppose there was a OS X library for the playstation gamepads, and they are just piggybacking on the existing support.
BlockABoots
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Post by BlockABoots »

So how do you pair the 8BitDo pad to a generic USB bluetooth dongle, is there a pairing script in the script menu or does it have to be done another way?

Also with the latest Bluetooth driver Sorgelig has released does the PSC OSD button combo work (L+R+Start)?
Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by Sorgelig »

BlockABoots wrote:So how do you pair the 8BitDo pad to a generic USB bluetooth dongle, is there a pairing script in the script menu or does it have to be done another way?
8bitdo gamepads are generic BT gamepads. If you've read the Wiki then you should know the pairing procedure.
BlockABoots wrote:Also with the latest Bluetooth driver Sorgelig has released does the PSC OSD button combo work (L+R+Start)?
Yes. But you can't enable autofire/mouse mode with this combo. So, it's crippled OSD button.
Eiji
Atarian
Atarian

Post by Eiji »

8BitDo SF30 and M30 working fine here with CSR 4.0 BT dongle on MiSTer.
Newsdee
Atari God
Atari God

Post by Newsdee »

Just to confirm, this allows using multiple controllers on one dongle, right? That would be pretty good to save space.
Locutus73
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by Locutus73 »

Sorgelig wrote:it seems possible to replace VID while connecting through BT. So, i will try to use some non-sony VID for 8bitdo.
I see you fixed the Apple mode... thank you so much homie :D
Today I’ll receive this stuff:
https://www.amazon.it/dp/B00CM83SC0
https://www.amazon.it/dp/B01KZVQB42
https://www.amazon.it/dp/B013SL2050
This week I’ll try to pair the keyboard and mouse both to my gaming PC and to MiSTer (they support up to three different host devices), and I’ll try to connect my 8bitdo PADs in Apple mode, using only one BT dongle and removing the retroreceivers (but still leaving them paired) and the Logitech dongle from MiSTer (basically leaving just the BT adapter).

Thank you in advance.
Regards.

Locutus73

Return to “MiSTer”