Broken Audio Followed Me To New Mister Build!

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

bitfan2011
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Broken Audio Followed Me To New Mister Build!

Post by bitfan2011 »

hey so, i WAS using the acrylic kit with the mini I/O board from A. Villena. i found that the analogue audio jack was outputting totally mangled sound, like roaring static with the actual sound faintly audible. i thought it was a core problem and forgot about it after i hooked up an HDMI audio extractor...

now i've switched the same DE10 into a negsol case w/ the official I/O v5.5, USB sidecar, SDRAM, RTC parts and ... THE AUDIO PROBLEM PERSISTS! the full I/O board puts out similarly poo sound via the headphone jack.

i've tried speakers, headphones, and recording the signal, always the same damaged sound. i've also tried the various Mister audio settings, no difference.

IF the problem is with the DE10, where would i inspect the main board for damage? do any of the DE10 switches affect audio output?

FYI the only parts to carry over were the DE10 and the SD cards. so maybe a problem with the software end, not sure...

i really want to get rid of this HDMI audio extractor and finally just use Mister, please help!!
bitfan2011

Re: Broken Audio Followed Me To New Mister Build!

Post by bitfan2011 »

OK, I AM A MORON

but i shall leave this up so that others may learn from my failure

here's what a wise person on discord wrote:

"it sounds like the MiSTer is operating the sound pins in I2S mode, instead of the default analog/digital out mode (which uses the same pins).
IIRC, the last switch in the row of four (the one closes to the ethernet jack) controls this setting
At least on my board, the "normal" position is set closest to the GPIO pins, and I2S is closer to the FPGA.
So basically check if that switch is in the wrong position, or at least just try switching to the opposite position it is in currently"

my switches were in the opposite positions, so i changed them back towards the header to match the official photos

problem solved...?
Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by Sorgelig »

that's right.
RMZK
Atarian
Atarian

Post by RMZK »

I'm still getting the same issue as you, but the switch on the DE-10 nano is set to its default position. I get a loud hum when connecting the audio to my Home theater through a 3.5 to 2 rca cable. Also I could not get the optical audio to work at all, tested my setup with a PS2 and an OG xbox and everything was fine. Curiosly though when I connect analog audio directly to my PC line in or PC monitor with speakers I get audio, the volume is low but I don't get any noise.

The IO board that I'm using is the V5.5 from Arcadeforge.
THaase
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by THaase »

Optical: Does the LED lights up? (Menu Core loaded)
There’s not much in the line - just a resistor and the LED.

Analog: There’s also not much.
Check the area around the two big Tantals for any shorts.

You can also send me some good resolution pictures (both sides).
Send me a mail- I‘ll reply- than you can send me something big.

Return to “MiSTer”