MidiLink 2.0 looking for testers. (no MIDI devices required)

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Re: MidiLink 2.0 looking for testers. (no MIDI devices required)

Post by Sorgelig »

Hewhoisred wrote:
Sorgelig wrote:It would be good if Hewhoisred would test it since he's complained :)
The thread subject is asking for testers. I tested and posted results as best I could. No complaints. Midilink and MiSTer are amazing.

I will be happy to test new builds and post results.
ok. I mean you found the problem, so you can quickly test the new build posted above.
Just replace it in /usr/sbin/mt32d
BBond007
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by BBond007 »

Sorgelig wrote: ok. I mean you found the problem, so you can quickly test the new build posted above.
Just replace it in /usr/sbin/mt32d
just /sbin/mt32d
Sorgelig wrote:MUNT is the only MT32 soft-synth?
I think it is the only one that emulates the programmable nature of the MT-32
Sorgelig wrote: may be make a copy of getty with other name to use it only for UART..
I'll try a symlink and see if that works.
Hewhoisred wrote: I will be happy to test new builds and post results.
BBond007
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by BBond007 »

Paradroyd wrote: It seems like somewhere along the line over the past day or so, the Atari ST UART stuff stopped working properly. I can't get it to respond to AT commands anymore. (I realize you may already know this).
I was not aware of that... Do you think it quit working before or after upgrading the bootloader, etc?

I can't think of anything that changed which would effect just that...

I'll see if it still works with my real MT-32

thanks!

EDIT:

MT-32 works still.

Maybe try and edit /media/fat/linux/MidiLink.INI and change/add default TCP_BAUD=19200 or something. Maybe default 115200 is too fast for Atari ST
Hewhoisred
Atari freak
Atari freak

Post by Hewhoisred »

BBond007 wrote:it still works anyway, don't know if its better yet
Just tested new mt32d. Works, but tempo problems seem the same, at least to me.

Attached are new recordings.

u6_new_mt32d.mp3 is through local/MUNT
u6_udp.mp3 is Remote/UDP through my desktop PC
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ghogan42
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Post by ghogan42 »

BBond007 wrote:
Sorgelig wrote:so keep RPi2 other options, and just replace these: -mcpu=cortex-a9 -mfpu=neon
OK, thanks!

it still works anyway, don't know if its better yet
Is the mt32d you posted accidentally identical to the one included in the linux image (I downloaded it a couple of days ago)? I think it is.

I didn't check in a hex editor or anything. But using cmp in linux (I haven't used it before so maybe I ran it incorrectly) to compare the new and old mt32d indicates that they are the same file.

Also, is that the only file that would change in an optimized build? What about the libraries?

So did you use "-mcpu=cortex-a9 -mfpu=neon" along with the other options such as "-funsafe_math_optimizations, etc" that allow the neon unit to be used for more things?
BBond007
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by BBond007 »

Hewhoisred wrote:
BBond007 wrote:it still works anyway, don't know if its better yet
Just tested new mt32d. Works, but tempo problems seem the same, at least to me.

Attached are new recordings.

u6_new_mt32d.mp3 is through local/MUNT
u6_udp.mp3 is Remote/UDP through my desktop PC
I't definitely sounds better on the PC for that particular sequence when it seems to struggle a little.

Still, the rest of the Ultima6 (intro) music sounds pretty good running on the HPS except I notice popping in the actual game-play.
Last edited by BBond007 on Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
BBond007
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by BBond007 »

ghogan42 wrote: Is the mt32d you posted accidentally identical to the one included in the linux image (I downloaded it a couple of days ago)? I think it is.

I didn't check in a hex editor or anything. But using cmp in linux (I haven't used it before so maybe I ran it incorrectly) to compare the new and old mt32d indicates that they are the same file.

Also, is that the only file that would change in an optimized build? What about the libraries?

So did you use "-mcpu=cortex-a9 -mfpu=neon" along with the other options such as "-funsafe_math_optimizations, etc" that allow the neon unit to be used for more things?
I think the one from the Linux image was compiled with RPI2 optimizations. -Ofast -mcpu=cortex-a7 -mfpu=neon-vfpv4 -mfloat-abi=hard -ftree-vectorize -funsafe-math-optimizations

I definitely recompiled it with the new settings. Deleted the directory and started fresh.

Afterwards, I did notice the file size was identical to the old build.

MUNT has one one static library (mt32emu) which mt32d links to... and that definitely was recompiled.
Paradroyd
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by Paradroyd »

BBond007 wrote:
I was not aware of that... Do you think it quit working before or after upgrading the bootloader, etc?
ST
I'm not sure, unfortunately. A lot of things changed at once which makes accurately troubleshooting difficult.

BBond007 wrote: MT-32 works still.

Maybe try and edit /media/fat/linux/MidiLink.INI and change/add default TCP_BAUD=19200 or something. Maybe default 115200 is too fast for Atari ST
I had already edited it, and it's been running at 9600 in all cores all along. 9600 is a good speed for BBSing that normally works with almost everything.

I'll do some more testing over the next couple of days with the ST core and see if I can find anything definitive to report.

One thing that would be useful would be to eventually have the modem emulator respond "OK", by default (whether optionally via "ATQ0" or otherwise) when it gets a valid command that has no other output. It would make it easier to see when the command interpreter "sees" a valid command without actually having to try to dial, etc.
- Paradroyd
@paradroyd on Twitter, @paradroyd@mastodon.sdf.org on Mastodon
BBond007
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by BBond007 »

Paradroyd wrote: I'll do some more testing over the next couple of days with the ST core and see if I can find anything definitive to report.
Please do, as you are the only one to have really successfully used the TCP option with the FX CAST core and that MFP option. I've have 100% success with MIDI though.

Also, we moved the Midilink.INI to /media/fat/linux vs /media/fat/config. I'm not sure if you caught that. You probably have the old file hanging around and possibly you are editing the ther old one?

I never really reliably got any of the terminal programs working, and I can confirm I still can't even when using Freeze Dried Terminal.

MidiLink is just not seeing any serial data sent....

I can add more AT commands, but for now (the version you have) ATVER will respond with the version number and OK if that helps any... its better than trying to dial anyway :)
Hewhoisred
Atari freak
Atari freak

Post by Hewhoisred »

BBond007 wrote:Still, the rest of the Ultima6 (intro) music sounds pretty good running on the HPS except I notice popping in the actual game-play.
Unless I'm wrong, the popping you're hearing in Ultima6, if you are in the first room (throne room), is actually the game's extremely crappy PC beeper sound effects trying to simulate the sound of fireplaces and torches. Go south a little bit and experience horrendous fountain sound effects. If you go further south and leave the castle the crappy popping goes away.

Regarding other music on MUNT, I think the slowdown must be related to how much polyphony is happening. If you watch the partial state section on the MT-32 (desktop MUNT display) on remote and compare to same section during local+MUNT, during the less busy section, rhythm is steady and perfect, but as soon as too many voices are going the music starts to lose integrity. I think you must be right that HPS is simply overloaded if too many voices are playing simultaneously.

Listen to attached u6_dungeon_munt. At around 23 second mark, as soon as all the extra instruments begin, you can hear the "heart beat" drum rhythm break down. At this point in the song on the PC based MUNT display you can see almost the entire partial state matrix (all 32 voice) are filled with notes. I think the other songs that sound fine, sound fine because we're asking local-MUNT to do less work (less simultaneous voices).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Paradroyd
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by Paradroyd »

BBond007 wrote:
Paradroyd wrote: I'll do some more testing over the next couple of days with the ST core and see if I can find anything definitive to report.
Please do, as you are the only one to have really successfully used the TCP option with the FX CAST core and that MFP option. I've have 100% success with MIDI though.

Also, we moved the Midilink.INI to /media/fat/linux vs /media/fat/config. I'm not sure if you caught that. You probably have the old file hanging around and possibly you are editing the ther old one?

I never really reliably got any of the terminal programs working, and I can confirm I still can't even when using Freeze Dried Terminal.

I can add more AT commands, but for now (the version you have) ATVER will respond with the version number and OK if that helps any... its better than trying to dial anyway :)
I have a full image backup of the main MiSTer SD card that I took on 1/19/2019. I think that the modem emulation was working with the ST core at that point. I've just taken an image of the SD as it is now, and I'm rolling the SD back to where it was on 1/19/2019. If I'm right and the TCP modem works on the ST core after the restore, I can try some more things and see if we can figure out what broke it..or what makes it appear to be broken. I'll let you know what I find.
- Paradroyd
Paradroyd
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by Paradroyd »

Paradroyd wrote:
BBond007 wrote:

I have a full image backup of the main MiSTer SD card that I took on 1/19/2019. I think that the modem emulation was working with the ST core at that point. I've just taken an image of the SD as it is now, and I'm rolling the SD back to where it was on 1/19/2019. If I'm right and the TCP modem works on the ST core after the restore, I can try some more things and see if we can figure out what broke it..or what makes it appear to be broken. I'll let you know what I find.
I forgot to say in my last reply..I did catch that the ini file had moved, and I had deleted the one in /fat/config and edited the one in /fat/linux. The Amiga and AO486 cores are working properly at 9600, so I know that that part is right.
20190122_194545.jpg
Interestingly enough, rolling back to my image from 1/19, it's still not working and is behaving like it does with the latest configuration. This probably means that it was something before the last big round of official kernel/system changes that broke it.

I do get a bit of garbage on the screen when I cycle though the UART options..it looks like it's happening when I hit the "console" option. So it seems that the console is working (probably at 115K, which would account for the garbage..as you guess the stock ST serial port doesn't go that fast, or at least the terminal programs don't.

I have one more image backup from 1/5/2019. I'll roll back to that and see what I get. I KNOW this was working at some point. Pretty sure O've posted pictures of it working earlier in this thread.
- Paradroyd
Paradroyd
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by Paradroyd »

Paradroyd wrote: I have one more image backup from 1/5/2019. I'll roll back to that and see what I get. I KNOW this was working at some point. Pretty sure O've posted pictures of it working earlier in this thread.
I've run into a bit of a snag. Apparently I've rolled back to a time before I had Midilink installed...
- Paradroyd
Paradroyd
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by Paradroyd »

Paradroyd wrote:
Paradroyd wrote: I have one more image backup from 1/5/2019. I'll roll back to that and see what I get. I KNOW this was working at some point. Pretty sure O've posted pictures of it working earlier in this thread.
I've run into a bit of a snag. Apparently I've rolled back to a time before I had Midilink installed...
Catch 22. If I install Midilink using the script, it replaces the Kernel and MiSTer becomes unbootable, probably because the script I have is downloading stuff meant for a later version. If I manually put the Kernel back, it boots , but of course no Midilink options in the cores.

I guess I should have taken images a little more often.

I'm going to roll everything back up to current versions.
- Paradroyd
BBond007
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by BBond007 »

Paradroyd wrote: Catch 22. If I install Midilink using the script, it replaces the Kernel and MiSTer becomes unbootable, probably because the script I have is downloading stuff meant for a later version. If I manually put the Kernel back, it boots , but of course no Midilink options in the cores.

I went back to the 19th (in github) and grabbed just the MidiLink.tar.gz from that day and tried it with FZDT and could not get it to work, so then I jumped all the way back to the 4TH and it still did not work.

you could take your old image
get
MidiLink.tar.gz from here: (this was the last update for the ATDT fix - after the two duds)
https://github.com/bbond007/MiSTer_Midi ... 4c/INSTALL
connect via SSH/Putty

#uartmode 0
#cd /
#tar -xvzf /media/fat/MidiLinki.tar.gz
start midilink manually:
#midilink tcp

and in that mode you should see keypresses (in terminal window ) if it is working correctly
Last edited by BBond007 on Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
Paradroyd
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by Paradroyd »

BBond007 wrote:
Paradroyd wrote: Catch 22. If I install Midilink using the script, it replaces the Kernel and MiSTer becomes unbootable, probably because the script I have is downloading stuff meant for a later version. If I manually put the Kernel back, it boots , but of course no Midilink options in the cores.

I went back to the 19th (in github) and grabbed just the MidiLink.tar.gz from that day and tried it with FZDT and could not get it to work, so then I jumped all the way back to the 4TH and it still did not work.

you could take your old image
get
MidiLink.tar.gz from here: (this was the last update for the ATDT fix - after the two duds)
https://github.com/bbond007/MiSTer_Midi ... 4c/INSTALL
connected via SSH/Putty
#cd /
#tar -xvzf /media/fat/MidiLinki.tar.gz
start midilink manually:
#midilink tcp

and in that mode you should see keypresses (in terminal window ) if it is working correctly
I will try this.

One thing to note...
The Atari ST core has always been a bit tricky to get to work, even when it was working. To get any response, I usually had to cycle Midilink between modes, then choose the "re-initialize modem" button at the bottom of the RS232 settings screen (sometimes a couple of times) to get it to work. You might want to try that with the older versions to see if it gets you anywhere.
- Paradroyd
BBond007
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by BBond007 »

Paradroyd wrote:
One thing to note...
The Atari ST core has always been a bit tricky to get to work, even when it was working. To get any response, I usually had to cycle Midilink between modes, then choose the "re-initialize modem" button at the bottom of the RS232 settings screen (sometimes a couple of times) to get it to work. You might want to try that with the older versions to see if it gets you anywhere.
I got to work (with the current stuff) by:

setting TCP_BAUD=19200
load FZDT
change BAUD from 9600 to 19200
"re-initialize modem" i think 4 times in a row... (don't know if its necessary to do it that many times)

Obviously the serial in the FX CAST is temperamental (with MidiLink) and I'm not sure why...
Paradroyd
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by Paradroyd »

BBond007 wrote:
I got to work (with the current stuff) by:

setting TCP_BAUD=19200
load FZDT
change BAUD from 9600 to 19200
"re-initialize modem" i think 4 times in a row... (don't know if its necessary to do it that many times)

Obviously the serial in the FX CAST is temperamental (with MidiLink) and I'm not sure why...
Wow.. I guess I'll abort re-restoring my old backup again and restore the current stuff.

I'm not sure what FzDT's "intitialize modem" actually does, or why the setup would like 19,200 better than 9600.

Very strange, but it's something, I guess.
- Paradroyd
BBond007
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by BBond007 »

Paradroyd wrote:
BBond007 wrote:
I'm not sure what FzDT's "intitialize modem" actually does, or why the setup would like 19,200 better than 9600.

Very strange, but it's something, I guess.
here is the catch 9600 will also work, but first change it to 19200 (or maybe something else) and initialize modem, then set it back to 9600 and initialize modem again...

At this point this might be something Ijor needs to look at... or it could even be a bug in FZDT
Paradroyd
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by Paradroyd »

BBond007 wrote: here is the catch 9600 will also work, but first change it to 19200 (or maybe something else) and initialize modem, then set it back to 9600 and initialize modem again...

At this point this might be something Ijor needs to look at... or it could even be a bug in FZDT

"intitialize modem" sends this:
[00062122] TSOCK IN [02] --> 0d 0a
[00062123] TSOCK IN [18] --> 70 69 40 43 6f 6d 6d 6f 64 6f 72 65 38 30 3a 7e 24
Interesting.. Another thing I thought about doing was creating, saving and initializing Freeze Dried Terminal at 9600 in the MIST ST core, then saving that configuration (because MIST's core can write to disk images), then bringing that image back over to MiSTer and seeing what happens.

I think I'll try that next.
- Paradroyd
BBond007
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by BBond007 »

Paradroyd wrote: Interesting.. Another thing I thought about doing was creating, saving and initializing Freeze Dried Terminal at 9600 in the MIST ST core, then saving that configuration (because MIST's core can write to disk images), then bringing that image back over to MiSTer and seeing what happens.
That is what I did. I used Hatari to write the configuration file, but it still seems like I need to change the speed in order to get it to work.. If you want to use 9600 then it seems you should set it to a speed other than 9600 :)

I also tried to send a file from Linux using Zmodem and afterwards I had to mess with the speed and "intitialize modem" again to restore proper operation.
Paradroyd
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by Paradroyd »

BBond007 wrote:
Paradroyd wrote: Interesting.. Another thing I thought about doing was creating, saving and initializing Freeze Dried Terminal at 9600 in the MIST ST core, then saving that configuration (because MIST's core can write to disk images), then bringing that image back over to MiSTer and seeing what happens.
That is what I did. I used Hatari to write the configuration file, but it still seems like I need to change the speed in order to get it to work..

I also tried to send a file from Linux using Zmodem and afterwards I had to mess with the speed and "intitialize modem" again to restore proper operation.
That is good to know.

When my MiSTer SD is finished restoring it's "modern" image I'll try some different things and see if I can make any sense of it. I suspect I'm not going to find much conclusive at the level I'm operating though.
- Paradroyd
BBond007
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by BBond007 »

Hewhoisred wrote: Unless I'm wrong, the popping you're hearing in Ultima6, if you are in the first room (throne room), is actually the game's extremely crappy PC beeper sound effects trying to simulate the sound of fireplaces and torches. Go south a little bit and experience horrendous fountain sound effects. If you go further south and leave the castle the crappy popping goes away.
That torch sound is terrible. I guess it would be better if it was not so loud. It sounds like someone making microwave popcorn. That bothers me worse than the occasional tempo fluctuation.

I have changed compiler optimizations for MidiLink and made an (possible) improvement concerning my use of the the ALSA MIDI byte stream encoder API which I'm testing.
Sorgelig wrote: For future plans (after release):
May be it would be worth to copy snd-dummy + MiSTer PCM audio into a single audio card, so it will be easier to improve it further with specific features and no asound.conf will be required.
I also agree this is the next logical step and I'll look at doing that.

All there tweaks and optimizations are probably just drops in the bucket, but together may some yield some improvement. I don't think MUNT on the HPS is ever going to be perfect, but at the same time I think it still worth having.
Paradroyd
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by Paradroyd »

BBond007 wrote:
That is what I did. I used Hatari to write the configuration file, but it still seems like I need to change the speed in order to get it to work..

Maybe I just got lucky this time, but after saving the 9600 config on MIST, then loading on MiSTer, I only had to hit "Reinitialize Modem" once, then it worked for me. I didn't even touch the speed.
20190122_231008.jpg
The weird thing is, it's tricky / unpredictable to get started, but once it IS started, it's solid. I've many calls back to back without any instability on this before.
- Paradroyd
BBond007
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by BBond007 »

Paradroyd wrote: When my MiSTer SD is finished restoring it's "modern" image I'll try some different things and see if I can make any sense of it. I suspect I'm not going to find much conclusive at the level I'm operating though.
Don't sell yourself short... You were the one who originally got it working with FXCAST. You also mentioned that "intitialize modem" button being useful :)

My experience (as a programmer) is that it is a lot easier to fix a problem if you can reliably reproduce it, or better yet, demonstrate a work-around.

Return to “MiSTer”