PDP-1 core

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

hrvoje
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Re: PDP-1 core

Post by hrvoje »

djmartins wrote:I spent some time today messing with this core and it is cool.
Very well done core and I love how you set it up with the screens and switches.
Thanks!
You are very welcome!

It is still far from finished, but here is a sneak peek at what else the PDP-1 could do - music!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROPyR-tV7A4

The music is produced by toggling the output pins of the PF register and filtering it somewhat through a low-pass filter.

This was done in early 1960s and was one of the first examples of computer generated music, ever. People did cool things back then! Cheers!
djmartins
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by djmartins »

hrvoje wrote:
djmartins wrote:The music is produced by toggling the output pins of the PF register and filtering it somewhat through a low-pass filter.
This was done in early 1960s and was one of the first examples of computer generated music, ever. People did cool things back then! Cheers!
I downloaded all the music paper tapes and they did make a lot of them.
Is it possible to add such a thing to this core?
It really is amazing what they did with the PDP1, this core has me learning about it now.

Irregardless my favorite screensaver now is the snowflake, trying to get munching squares going too!

thanks!
hrvoje
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Post by hrvoje »

djmartins wrote:
I downloaded all the music paper tapes and they did make a lot of them.
Is it possible to add such a thing to this core?
It really is amazing what they did with the PDP1, this core has me learning about it now.

Irregardless my favorite screensaver now is the snowflake, trying to get munching squares going too!

thanks!
Yes, the idea is to be able to load the music playing program and paper tapes, and have the core play them through the HDMI or 3.5mm audio outputs.

It is a proof of concept at this stage - works, but many things are still broken and need fixing. When all of this is done, I plan on doing a new release which will include extended memory support and music reproduction, so all that effort that the original authors made when making those music paper tapes doesn't go to waste (and it was really hard work from what I see).

I'm glad someone enjoys the core. That's great to hear, considering it's not a modern machine and you can't play many games on it. :cheers:
bhamadicharef
Atariator
Atariator

Post by bhamadicharef »

as the DEC T-11 is used in some arcade early Atari ones, your PDP-1 core will be useful for them.

Thanks!
Brahim HAMADI CHAREF:: Singapore
ex68k
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Post by ex68k »

bhamadicharef wrote:as the DEC T-11 is used in some arcade early Atari ones, your PDP-1 core will be useful for them.
Thanks!
How? the PDP-1 and the T-11 are not really related?
hrvoje
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Post by hrvoje »

ex68k wrote:
bhamadicharef wrote:as the DEC T-11 is used in some arcade early Atari ones, your PDP-1 core will be useful for them.
Thanks!
How? the PDP-1 and the T-11 are not really related?
I think the T-11 has the PDP-11 instruction set, not the PDP-1. However, there are some FPGA implementations of PDP-11 I know of (PDP2011) which might come in handy...

Cheers! :cheers:
Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by Sorgelig »

BK0011M core is PDP-11
bhamadicharef
Atariator
Atariator

Post by bhamadicharef »

Sorgelig wrote:BK0011M core is PDP-11
Thanks for clarification and link.
Brahim HAMADI CHAREF:: Singapore
seastalker
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by seastalker »

hrvoje, in a recent interview with Smokemonster, your core was mentioned:
https://www.retrorgb.com/artemio-smokem ... nauts.html

I think this core would be a fantastic subject in a YouTube video, and would get more people knowing about Mister. For the majority of people, 'Pong' was the first video game, then a few nerds push the brim of their glasses and say "actually..." before pointing to 'Computer Space'. Then there is pinball.

Showing the size and scope of pre-1970s computers usually amazes people who wouldn't be interested to look at them without being led there. IBM punch cards has a history interesting to most as well. The historical value of what you created here I sense will grow in awareness more and more over time. Hopefully channels like LGR, 8-bit Guy, RetroManCave, Retro Recipes etc. will pick up the story.

Until then, I say a big thank you!!

Return to “MiSTer”