https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

hrvoje
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

PDP-1 core

Post by hrvoje »

Hello all,

I've made a new core from scratch specific for the MiSTer. It's the implementation of DEC PDP-1, a platform where the first real computer game (Spacewar!) was made. Now you can play it on your favorite platform too, and run other programs as well.

This might not be too popular because of its limited gaming potential and relatively scarce software remaining ... that's OK.

Have fun and happy holidays to all of you!

https://github.com/hrvach/fpg1

Check out the demo video for more details about the project https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iymD9eysqXo.
Flausch
Atariator
Atariator

Re: PDP-1 core

Post by Flausch »

Thanks for your work! It's great to be able to experience this historic machine on the MiSTer! :)
Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by Sorgelig »

Thanks for the core!
I've sent invitation to you for MiSTer-devel group.
Please move your core to MiSTer group (name it as FPG1_MiSTer).
Then you can add the link to your core in Wiki.
Locutus73
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by Locutus73 »

Thank you very much.
Could you please rename pdp1-20181219.rbf pdp1_20181219.rbf when you move the repository for the updater sake please?

Thank you in advance.
Regards.

Locutus73
hrvoje
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Post by hrvoje »

Thank you all. I tried following your instructions as well as I could, hope I didn't do anything wrong.

It's a great feeling being able to contribute a core and I'm planning to create more.

You are a fantastic community!
Newsdee
Atari God
Atari God

Post by Newsdee »

Amazing! I'm loving these historical machine implementations

Its a great idea to keep the vector graphics remanence on screen, it makes it feel closer to the real vector display. I also like how you have a printer emulator.

One suggestion I can make would be to have an option to write printer output to SD card so as to back it up. And maybe some way to save programs, so people who tinker with it can restart where they left off. But minor things anyway.
kitrinx
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by kitrinx »

Newsdee wrote:Amazing! I'm loving these historical machine implementations

Its a great idea to keep the vector graphics remanence on screen, it makes it feel closer to the real vector display. I also like how you have a printer emulator.

One suggestion I can make would be to have an option to write printer output to SD card so as to back it up. And maybe some way to save programs, so people who tinker with it can restart where they left off. But minor things anyway.
Maybe it would be possible to use. sav file mechanics to do this. (FS in the menu).

One small quip, perhaps change the core's internal name from "PDP1 Emulator" to "PDP1" so the folder name is a bit shorter :)

The phosphor effects are very nice, great job!
Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by Sorgelig »

May be it would be better to rename the project to PDP1 both internally (for folder name) and externally (for project repository name)
if hrvoje agrees, then no problem to rename the repository to PDP1_MiSTer
crocky
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Post by crocky »

Just played Spacewar - its real fun! Thanks for the hardwork :)
Flausch
Atariator
Atariator

Post by Flausch »

Maybe I'm blind, but I can't find the information how the folder name for paper tape images should be called?
hrvoje
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Post by hrvoje »

Flausch wrote:Maybe I'm blind, but I can't find the information how the folder name for paper tape images should be called?
I don't think there is a special rule, they are placed on the SD card wherever you find convenient and loaded by first activating the RIM mode (F10 or from OSD menu) and then choosing load and locating the image file.
hrvoje
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Post by hrvoje »

Sorgelig wrote:May be it would be better to rename the project to PDP1 both internally (for folder name) and externally (for project repository name)
if hrvoje agrees, then no problem to rename the repository to PDP1_MiSTer
Of course, that would probably be the most intuitive name. Where do I define the name internally? Is that in CONF_STR? I've changed the repository name to PDP1_MiSTer and updated the wiki link.

Thanks for all the feedback guys, I will try to implement your suggestions to the best of my abilities. I'm still struggling with some things and FPGAs have a rather steep learning curve, but I'm doing my best. :-)

Happy holidays everybody! :cheers:
Flausch
Atariator
Atariator

Post by Flausch »

hrvoje wrote:
Flausch wrote:Maybe I'm blind, but I can't find the information how the folder name for paper tape images should be called?
I don't think there is a special rule, they are placed on the SD card wherever you find convenient and loaded by first activating the RIM mode (F10 or from OSD menu) and then choosing load and locating the image file.
If was just asking, because most cores have a special named folder for roms/programs, which is navigated first automatically, when loading roms. So you don't have to remember, which folder is the right one. It is just a comfort thing.
hrvoje
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Post by hrvoje »

Flausch wrote: If was just asking, because most cores have a special named folder for roms/programs, which is navigated first automatically, when loading roms. So you don't have to remember, which folder is the right one. It is just a comfort thing.
Oh, I didn't know that, that's cool! If anyone can shed some light on how this folder should be called and where that is defined, I will gladly update. Making it easy to use is always a plus...
Locutus73
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by Locutus73 »

hrvoje wrote:
Flausch wrote: If was just asking, because most cores have a special named folder for roms/programs, which is navigated first automatically, when loading roms. So you don't have to remember, which folder is the right one. It is just a comfort thing.
Oh, I didn't know that, that's cool! If anyone can shed some light on how this folder should be called and where that is defined, I will gladly update. Making it easy to use is always a plus...
I suspect that the name in CONF_STR1 defines both the core name you see in the OSD and the directory name which is always the same.

Regards
Locutus73
kitrinx
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by kitrinx »

The first line of the configuration string (followed by two ;;) in the core defines the core's internal name, which is used as the default folder.
hrvoje
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Post by hrvoje »

Thank you all. I'll try recompiling with a shorter internal name and update the repository. Right now the wife has me doing holiday chores :)
hrvoje
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Post by hrvoje »

hrvoje wrote:Thank you all. I'll try recompiling with a shorter internal name and update the repository. Right now the wife has me doing holiday chores :)
Done. I will write down the rest of your suggestions for next version. Thank you all!
SmokeMonster
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Post by SmokeMonster »

This is a really cool core. Congrats and great work. I love the attention to detail and all of the features you've integrated.
djmartins
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by djmartins »

SmokeMonster wrote:This is a really cool core.
It really is a cool core.
Not much use but interesting just the same.
Newsdee
Atari God
Atari God

Post by Newsdee »

hrvoje wrote: Done. I will write down the rest of your suggestions for next version. Thank you all!
Thank you so much. I was having xmas dinner with ny sons and the topic of "hackers" came up. I was trying to explain the real meaning of the word and they said something about a "hacker shooting game" so I asked what they meant.

We watched a youtube video where they saw it and guess what... it was Spacewar of PDP-1. So immediately I asked "want to play it?" We didn't play a lot, but nometheless it was great to make them experience it immediately and without much setup.

I know it's a bit radom, but my heartfelt thanks goes to you, Sorgelig, and the other devs for making this little moment possible. :D
hrvoje
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Post by hrvoje »

Newsdee wrote: I know it's a bit radom, but my heartfelt thanks goes to you, Sorgelig, and the other devs for making this little moment possible. :D
You made my day :) Thanks for the kind words, it was a privilege helping you have a moment with your family. I hope my son will like it when he grows up!

Happy holidays and all the best to you all!

@SmokeMonster, @djmartins - Thank you both as well, and my best wishes go to you too!
Newsdee
Atari God
Atari God

Post by Newsdee »

This is the video in question about hackers:
https://youtu.be/hFHe-wjLlvU

A bit simplistic but gets the point.
hrvoje
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Post by hrvoje »

Newsdee wrote:This is the video in question about hackers:
https://youtu.be/hFHe-wjLlvU

A bit simplistic but gets the point.
That's very interesting, and seeing the PDP-1 in it is awesome... not many references to it in popular culture.
djmartins
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by djmartins »

I spent some time today messing with this core and it is cool.
Very well done core and I love how you set it up with the screens and switches.
Thanks!

Is it possible to emulate the P7 phosphor better?
Light blue to start then yellowish green fades.
Last edited by djmartins on Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “MiSTer”