Odyssey2/Videopac Core

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

kitrinx
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Odyssey2/Videopac Core

Post by kitrinx »

To learn MiSTer better, I decided to try porting the Odyssey2 core. For those who don't know, the Odyssey2 as it was called in the US or Videopac in the EU was a 2nd gen system from the late 70's. It competed with the Atari 2600 but never gained quite the same following. The core is available here:

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Odyssey2_MiSTer

Read the github page for instructions on usage and a list of known issues. I did my best to add constraints for the clocks, but there may be better ways of optimizing them. Currently The Voice is not yet implemented. Like the SNES core, you won't get analog video until a game is loaded, so put a boot.rom of your favorite game in the Odyssey2 folder to get analog out when the core is loaded.

Please post any issues not listed on the github page below.
Last edited by kitrinx on Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paradroyd
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: Odyssey2/Videopac Core

Post by Paradroyd »

kitrinx wrote:To learn MiSTer better, I decided to try porting the Odyssey2 core. For those who don't know, the Odyssey2 as it was called in the US or Videopac in the EU was a 2nd gen system from the late 70's. It competed with the Atari 2600 but never gained quite the same following. The core is available here:

https://github.com/Kitrinx/Odyssey2_MiSTer

Read the github page for instructions on usage and a list of known issues. I did my best to add constraints for the clocks, but there may be better ways of optimizing them. Currently The Voice is not yet implemented. Like the SNES core, you won't get analog video until a game is loaded, so put a boot.rom of your favorite game in the Odyssey2 folder to get analog out when the core is loaded.

Please post any issues not listed on the github page below.
This is great! I've played two of my favorites, Robot City and Killer Bees so far with no issues.
- Paradroyd
@paradroyd on Twitter, @paradroyd@mastodon.sdf.org on Mastodon
Newsdee
Atari God
Atari God

Post by Newsdee »

Nice one! Great to see one more core!
crocky
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Post by crocky »

Played Speedway plays fine! Thanks for this :]
widge
Atari User
Atari User

Post by widge »

Thanks for this new core, I have tried "Prendre l'argent et fuir (France)" and it does not seem playable in Videopac mode. I move a bit in the first labyrinth and it seems to automatically switch to the following ones.
blacklistedcard
Atariator
Atariator

Post by blacklistedcard »

Confirming that the latest version resolved the video output not being centered. I wish I would of gotten into FPGA development when I was younger. I would love to be able to have an interface that could read my Odyssey2 cartridges directly to the Mister.

Sort of like a USB cable but the end would be able to connect to the cartridge. I remember going to Sears clearance center and my parents buying an Odyssey2 game for $5.00. Those days are long gone.....
kitrinx
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by kitrinx »

blacklistedcard wrote:Confirming that the latest version resolved the video output not being centered.
Sorry, I broke that with the image centering for hdmi, i'll take care of that.
blacklistedcard
Atariator
Atariator

Post by blacklistedcard »

Going to play some Odyssey2 on Christmas with my brother. Like when we were children....
Thanks Kitrinx for migrating the core over to mister..... It's also nice to see some people using the core. There were very few people which had an Odyssey2 back in the 1980's.
Mmm
Retro freak
Retro freak

Post by Mmm »

Videopac was my first console in late 70s... i am so glad that you ported this.
killersquirel
Atarian
Atarian

Post by killersquirel »

I just ordered the hardware I need to start getting into the MISTer. This will be one of the first cores that I play with. I'm looking forward to playing around with the Odyssey3 part of this core. Has anyone played around with that part of this core?
widge
Atari User
Atari User

Post by widge »

killersquirel wrote:I just ordered the hardware I need to start getting into the MISTer. This will be one of the first cores that I play with. I'm looking forward to playing around with the Odyssey3 part of this core. Has anyone played around with that part of this core?
What is Odyssey3?
killersquirel
Atarian
Atarian

Post by killersquirel »

The Odyssey 3 was planned to come out in 1983, but did not get released in the United States. It did get released in limited quantities in Europe as the Phillips G7400. It could play three types of games. The original G7000 (Odyssey2) games, special G7000 games that also contained Hi-Res backgrounds, and special games specifically for G7400 that had Hi Res foreground and backgrounds. I watched smoke monsters YouTube video about the Odyssey core and the Odyssey 3 was listed in the options. I never got to play the G7400 before and look forward to playing it.
Mmm
Retro freak
Retro freak

Post by Mmm »

Please call it videopac + or videopac g7400.
widge
Atari User
Atari User

Post by widge »

I have tried "Killer Bees (Europe)" in Videopac mode which is a Videopac+ game.

When invited to "select game" I tried the digits 1, 2, 3 etc on the keyboard as well as the buttons on the joystick. I never enter the game or exit the demo mode.

Return to “MiSTer”