Mister menu runs at 50hz through OSSC

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

ovalfastlx
Atariator
Atariator

Mister menu runs at 50hz through OSSC

Post by ovalfastlx »

I tried testing my VGA to scart Cable through OSSC but get monitor not supported monitor. It seems the mister menu runs at 50hz which is not compatible with monitor, only 60hz. When running console cores, I get a picture since most cores run 60hz.

Is there anything I can change in the .ini file so make the menu run at 60hz so that I can see it through VGA?

HDMI works great.

Thanks before hand.
sirloin
Atarian
Atarian

Re: Mister menu runs at 50hz through OSSC

Post by sirloin »

I've noticed the same thing on my Sony PVM. The MiSTer menu shows up as 575 50hz, but upon launching a core it changes to 480 60hz. It would be nice to have a config/MiSTer.ini option to choose between 50 or 60hz for MiSTer VGA menu output.
Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by Sorgelig »

VGA outputs original core video. It's like to get European ZX spectrum and ask it to output 60Hz :)
If you want to control refresh rate then use HDMI output.
ovalfastlx
Atariator
Atariator

Post by ovalfastlx »

Sorgelig wrote:VGA outputs original core video. It's like to get European ZX spectrum and ask it to output 60Hz :)
If you want to control refresh rate then use HDMI output.

Core video runs fine throught VGA at their original refresh rate. It's the Main Mister menu that gives out 50hz and that makes it not compatible with my monitor. I thought there was an option I missed to turn enable/disable in the .INI file.

Love the HDMI output , but also like the VGA option too for my other monitors.

Thanks
jft
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Post by jft »

Kitrinx has a build of the menu with NTSC timing. I use it and it works (though a little wobbly on my CRT - but that just may be my set)
Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by Sorgelig »

In MiSTer.ini you can set vga_scaler=1 for Menu core and choose 60Hz mode for HDMI. It will output to VGA as well.
implodetee
Atarian
Atarian

Post by implodetee »

jft wrote:Kitrinx has a build of the menu with NTSC timing. I use it and it works (though a little wobbly on my CRT - but that just may be my set)
Do you have a link to this build? Thank you!
ovalfastlx
Atariator
Atariator

Post by ovalfastlx »

I tried both of them and setting the VGA scaler to 1 worked the best for my setup. Thanks Guys
implodetee wrote: Do you have a link to this build? Thank you!
I tried this this, unless theres a newer one https://github.com/Kitrinx/MiSTer_NN/bl ... 1_ntsc.rbf

Although the menu did show up the refresh rate would fluctuate between 59hx to 70hz while using the PC engine core.
bort
Atarian
Atarian

Post by bort »

I'm having a similar issue. Everything works great when I enable vga_scaler and hook up the MiSTer to a VGA monitor, but now I'm experimenting with trying to use a Monoprice 102509 VGA-to-composite cable to output the video to my CRT TV. (My TV can only take inputs via composite or coax.)

Ideally I want the output to be in the cores' native resolution/refresh rate (I'd prefer not to use the scaler or an HDMI converter, to minimize lag.)

Anyway, I got a video signal through the composite adapter but it seemed to be in PAL format so it was unusable on my NTSC television. The refresh rate was off so I could barely read the menu.

Then I replaced the menu core with Kitrinx's NTSC version (linked in the previous post in this thread), so now the menu looks fine on my TV, but as soon as I load a different core it goes out of sync again (before I even load a game). I've tried several official cores (NES, SNES, SMS, Genesis, and TG16).

Is there a place to download NTSC versions of the various cores, similar to the menu core?
Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by Sorgelig »

All mentioned cores are primarily NTSC. TG16 never released in PAL region.
bitfan2011
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Post by bitfan2011 »

Similar problem here - OSSC displays something weird like "312p 50Hz" when the Mister main menu is displaying. Mode not supported by display and/or OSSC = black screen :cry:

EDIT: BTW I tried both VGA --> component and VGA --> VGA cables

The only reason I want to use the OSSC right now is because my CRT is in another area (it's huge). I tend to work on all my gaming projects in my main work area, which only has modern displays.
Last edited by bitfan2011 on Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by Sorgelig »

There is a solution to use standard Menu core with 60Hz over VGA. But i won't tell :)
bitfan2011

Post by bitfan2011 »

Sorgelig wrote:There is a solution to use standard Menu core with 60Hz over VGA. But i won't tell :)
Maybe I can also find the secret to the riddle of the seven crystal skulls
bitfan2011

Post by bitfan2011 »

Sorgelig wrote:There is a solution to use standard Menu core with 60Hz over VGA. But i won't tell :)
I will definitely try your .ini changes, I still need to learn how to get in and edit it...
SmokeMonster
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Post by SmokeMonster »

Shouldn't the analog menu just default to NTSC? Also, why is 720p the MiSTer.ini default instead of 1080p?

I'm just curious since people ask me this all the time. An analog NTSC menu and 1080p HDMI would have better compatibility with most users' setups.
bitfan2011

Post by bitfan2011 »

SmokeMonster wrote:Shouldn't the analog menu just default to NTSC? Also, why is 720p the MiSTer.ini default instead of 1080p?

I'm just curious since people ask me this all the time. An analog NTSC menu and 1080p HDMI would have better compatibility with most users' setups.
720p default will still display on a 1600x1200 display, while it might choke on 1080p default. Maybe that's one of your answers? Just going for the safer default, it seems.
orange808
Retro freak
Retro freak

Post by orange808 »

I understand the 720p default. That's a perfectly safe choice.

The 50Hz refresh is harder to justify.

I own quite a bit of video gear that "defaults" to 720p@60Hz for safety. If major gear manufacturers like Extron and Kramer think 720p/60 is a great safe default for globally marketed gear, I don't see any reason to argue.

+1 on 60Hz
bitfan2011

Post by bitfan2011 »

orange808 wrote:I understand the 720p default. That's a perfectly safe choice.

The 50Hz refresh is harder to justify.

I own quite a bit of video gear that "defaults" to 720p@60Hz for safety. If major gear manufacturers like Extron and Kramer think 720p/60 is a great safe default for globally marketed gear, I don't see any reason to argue.

+1 on 60Hz
I hear ya, would love to get the Mister 240p output into my OSSC for convenience sake. Will be hooking Mister into a CRT via component once the case is completed.
Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by Sorgelig »

SmokeMonster wrote:I'm just curious since people ask me this all the time. An analog NTSC menu and 1080p HDMI would have better compatibility with most users' setups.
720p is much older standard than 1080p. It's de-facto standard over more TVs than 1080p. I still have one TV which can accept 1080i and 720p, but doesn't accept 1080p :)
Also, there are no cores output higher than 720p resolution, so there is no point to set 1080p as default.
SmokeMonster
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Post by SmokeMonster »

Oh, that makes sense then. Thanks for the response.

I had another idea for the menu. Could folders appear as a different color than files? That would make browsing a little more elegant, and is what many flash carts do in text menus.
Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by Sorgelig »

SmokeMonster wrote:I had another idea for the menu. Could folders appear as a different color than files? That would make browsing a little more elegant, and is what many flash carts do in text menus.
OSD has only 1 bit per pixel and it's hardcoded in every core.
Besides requirements to change of any core, it will also will consume twice more BRAM which i really don't want to spend for this.
It's is possible to implement attributes per line. Anyway it will require modification of every core ans OSD overlay is a part of core.
SmokeMonster
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Post by SmokeMonster »

Oh, I see. Yeah, it's not worth that much changing.
SmokeMonster
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Post by SmokeMonster »

Could we please get a 60hz NTSC analog menu though instead of PAL? I know that it's possible to do get it by manually adding in Kitrinx's custom hacked menu.

While most PAL TVs accept 60hz, the only NTSC TVs that accept PAL are PVMs. So, for compatibility's sake, NTSC would be best.
Last edited by SmokeMonster on Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
djsquare
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Post by djsquare »

SmokeMonster wrote:Could we please get a 60hz NTSC analog menu though instead of PAL? I know that it's possible to do get it by manually adding in Kitrinx's custom hacked menu.

While most PAL TVs accept 60hz, the only NTSC TVs that accept PAL are PVMs. So, for compatibility's sake, NTSC would be best.
I second this. It would be really nice to have NTSC
beermonkey
Atarian
Atarian

Post by beermonkey »

60hz for the main menu without hacks? Yes, please.

Return to “MiSTer”