MISTer (Main Core)

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

spunkworks
Atarian
Atarian

Re: MISTer (Main Core)

Post by spunkworks »

I would love to see an "update log" after doing a MiSTer update, it sometimes takes a long time to run an update so I leave the room, when I come back I have no way of knowing what exactly updated. It would be great to display an update log after the update is done.

cheers
tenshin2002
Atariator
Atariator

Post by tenshin2002 »

JamesF wrote:I would like to make a small and simple feature request that everybody asking for a long time.

"Recently Played" list in each core.

This is a very useful feature that all flashcarts, emulators, etc. have but mister is currently missing.
A small file can be written when a rom is loaded with 10-15 recently played games.
This should be less writes to sd card than automatic save function, since it does this only once per rom load.
List will behave like a simple queue (fifo), with new entries at the top, and old entries deleted from bottom when the list is full.

Thank you.
That would be really nice, although I´m not complaining. I just got into MiSTer and I cant believe how good it is!
JamesF
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by JamesF »

Thank you nanner55 and Sorgelig.
:cheers:
dukrous
Retro freak
Retro freak

Post by dukrous »

I just got a new 8bitdo M30 2.4G (USB) and trying it out with MiSTer. If it's connected via USB directly, everything works fine. But when connected via its dongle, I get a weird behavior with the menu button: the assigned Menu button becomes Menu: Cancel and the Menu button does nothing. Menu: Ok works fine.

As soon as I jump into any core, it works fine. And it even works fine if I press the Menu button from the Linux mode with F9. So this only happens in the main MiSTer menu. Any ideas?

Edit: Interesting wrinkle...it also happens with my SN30 over Bluetooth. Works fine when wired, though. So it's not just limited to the M30.
Chris23235
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by Chris23235 »

Have you tried to remap the buttons in the menu while your pad is wireless?
Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by Sorgelig »

dukrous wrote:I just got a new 8bitdo M30 2.4G (USB) and trying it out with MiSTer. If it's connected via USB directly, everything works fine. But when connected via its dongle, I get a weird behavior with the menu button: the assigned Menu button becomes Menu: Cancel and the Menu button does nothing. Menu: Ok works fine.

As soon as I jump into any core, it works fine. And it even works fine if I press the Menu button from the Linux mode with F9. So this only happens in the main MiSTer menu. Any ideas?

Edit: Interesting wrinkle...it also happens with my SN30 over Bluetooth. Works fine when wired, though. So it's not just limited to the M30.
8bitdo gamepads have different behaviours depending if they are connected by USB or wireless. They also use others gamepads IDs (XBOX, DualShock) and may mess map if you happen to have those gamepads configured in MiSTer. Besides 8bitdo is popular, it still follows Chinese rules "mimic and hack".
dukrous
Retro freak
Retro freak

Post by dukrous »

Chris23235 wrote:Have you tried to remap the buttons in the menu while your pad is wireless?
Yes, first thing I did since the controller wasn't recognized until I mapped it.
Sorgelig wrote:8bitdo gamepads have different behaviours depending if they are connected by USB or wireless. They also use others gamepads IDs (XBOX, DualShock) and may mess map if you happen to have those gamepads configured in MiSTer. Besides 8bitdo is popular, it still follows Chinese rules "mimic and hack".
I understand this, but by the same token they're the only controllers I've hooked up to my MiSTer. I have no other maps that would be conflicting and regardless of how many times I try to remap the buttons, they still misbehave.

I would also expect the same issues to occur regardless of the core if this was a general input issue, but this only happens in the main MiSTer menu. All other cores I've tried (about half a dozen so far) work correctly without issues, then this reappears if I go back to the main menu.
Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by Sorgelig »

It's not general issue.
It's issue of chameleon input devices like 8bitdo. It may even have different buttons codes between wired and wireless connections. So, it's "normal" for such gamepad.
dukrous
Retro freak
Retro freak

Post by dukrous »

Sorgelig wrote:It's not general issue.
It's issue of chameleon input devices like 8bitdo. It may even have different buttons codes between wired and wireless connections. So, it's "normal" for such gamepad.
So then why does it work as expected in every other core but the main menu? If this was a controller issue where it gives different button codes, I would expect it to be consistent across all cores.
Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by Sorgelig »

dukrous wrote:So then why does it work as expected in every other core but the main menu? If this was a controller issue where it gives different button codes, I would expect it to be consistent across all cores.
I don't know why.
I have many controllers including several 8bitdo. They work fine and consistent.
reflex
Atari freak
Atari freak

Post by reflex »

dukrous wrote:
Sorgelig wrote:It's not general issue.
So then why does it work as expected in every other core but the main menu? If this was a controller issue where it gives different button codes, I would expect it to be consistent across all cores.
Just out of curiosity, have you installed the app they provide for Windows/Mac and changed any settings for the buttons? The app appears to let you create profiles and modes for their controllers which can change default behavior when operating wired vs wireless. If not, you may wish to install it and reset the controller to defaults.
dukrous
Retro freak
Retro freak

Post by dukrous »

reflex wrote:Just out of curiosity, have you installed the app they provide for Windows/Mac and changed any settings for the buttons? The app appears to let you create profiles and modes for their controllers which can change default behavior when operating wired vs wireless. If not, you may wish to install it and reset the controller to defaults.
If you're talking about the Ultimate Software, that's only for the SN30 Pro+. I don't have that. If you mean the Xpad software, that doesn't work for the M30. I think's only a joy2key clone.

So more testing tonight. Putting the SN30 Pro in X-input mode works. And now in D-input mode...it works fine. :shrug:

M30 still doesn't. I tried to see what jstest would tell me while connected wirelessly and it looks like it's recognizing 10 buttons: A, B, C, X, Y, Z, L, R, Start, Select. What's weird is Select is also triggered when I hit the "heart" button which I use as the Menu button.

So...more digging. Looks like the 2.4G dongle forces itself to present as a Sega 6B controller (ID 0CA3:0024). The 3B controller that comes with the Genesis Mini is 0025. In addition, it basically forces the buttons to all work as "Mode" which can be recognized in the cores but not the main menu. However, both the "Select" and the button I said was "Menu" do the same thing. So I wonder if there's something there it detects as a button combo, and the button combo = "Back"? Again...no clue.

No clue. Might have to see about picking up one of those Retro-bit 6 button controllers to see if the same thing happens there with the Mode button.
Threepwood
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by Threepwood »

dukrous wrote:If you're talking about the Ultimate Software, that's only for the SN30 Pro+. I don't have that. If you mean the Xpad software, that doesn't work for the M30. I think's only a joy2key clone.

So more testing tonight. Putting the SN30 Pro in X-input mode works. And now in D-input mode...it works fine. :shrug:

M30 still doesn't. I tried to see what jstest would tell me while connected wirelessly and it looks like it's recognizing 10 buttons: A, B, C, X, Y, Z, L, R, Start, Select. What's weird is Select is also triggered when I hit the "heart" button which I use as the Menu button.

So...more digging. Looks like the 2.4G dongle forces itself to present as a Sega 6B controller (ID 0CA3:0024). The 3B controller that comes with the Genesis Mini is 0025. In addition, it basically forces the buttons to all work as "Mode" which can be recognized in the cores but not the main menu. However, both the "Select" and the button I said was "Menu" do the same thing. So I wonder if there's something there it detects as a button combo, and the button combo = "Back"? Again...no clue.

No clue. Might have to see about picking up one of those Retro-bit 6 button controllers to see if the same thing happens there with the Mode button.
I got an 8bitdo M30 2.4GHz USB today and for me the gamepad is basically working fine, except for that "heart" and "minus", which I would use as home and select are indeed the same buttons when pressed (heart and minus both open the OSD), just as you described. I guess that is just the nature of this gamepad and I work around it by disregarding heart- and star buttons and using a key combo of minus + start for the OSD. The USB dongle is on firmware 3.10.

By the way, the Retrobit Saturn 2.4GHz Wireless gamepad (not bluetooth) does not have this issue, here you can use the home button just for the OSD. It is my go to gamepad basically.
2x MiSTer FPGA: [Official Stormtrooper Case, USB Hub 2.1 with Bridge Board, 128MB SDRAM, ADC, RTC 1.3, I/O v5.5] + [3D printed MiSTer XS Case v2, 128MB SDRAM, I/O v5.6 XL]
softtest1
Atari User
Atari User

Post by softtest1 »

I just wanted to say that I really love how the MiSTer and its menu system work. I've had the MiSTer for over a year, have had no issues with it whatsoever and I find it to be very user-friendly. Many projects seem to conflate user-friendliness with fancy graphics, and oftentimes they end up being something that looks pretty but is unusable. The MiSTer in this area really is an example for others to follow.
dukrous
Retro freak
Retro freak

Post by dukrous »

Threepwood wrote:I got an 8bitdo M30 2.4GHz USB today and for me the gamepad is basically working fine, except for that "heart" and "minus", which I would use as home and select are indeed the same buttons when pressed (heart and minus both open the OSD), just as you described. I guess that is just the nature of this gamepad and I work around it by disregarding heart- and star buttons and using a key combo of minus + start for the OSD. The USB dongle is on firmware 3.10.
Yeah, everything I found is that when the USB dongle is used on a non-Windows device, it turns the "heart" and "minus" buttons into the same button press. I got this to happen in regular cores and it annoyed me to hell since my SN30 Pro doesn't do that. When plugged into a Windows PC, it pretends it's a Nintendo Pro controller and buttons work fine. My hunch is this was needed for the Genesis Mini since the mode button on the 6 button controller negates the need to hold down Start on the 3 button controller. It's not at all what I was hoping for, so I'm in the process of returning it.
Threepwood wrote:By the way, the Retrobit Saturn 2.4GHz Wireless gamepad (not bluetooth) does not have this issue, here you can use the home button just for the OSD. It is my go to gamepad basically.
I have the Retrobit Genesis controlling being delivered today. Hopeful it delivers more of the experience I want.
Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by Sorgelig »

i don't have M30 2.4G, but i have other 8bitdo controllers. 8bitdo controllers usually have several modes. So check if M30 2.4G also can be switched and may be these buttons will work separately.
dukrous
Retro freak
Retro freak

Post by dukrous »

Sorgelig wrote:i don't have M30 2.4G, but i have other 8bitdo controllers. 8bitdo controllers usually have several modes. So check if M30 2.4G also can be switched and may be these buttons will work separately.
Unlike the M30 bluetooth, there's no x-input/d-input switch on the M30 2.4G.It's a Pro controller if it's wireless to a Windows PC or Switch console, a 6B controller if it's wireless to another device, or an Xbox 360 controller if it's wired. So it's really only fully functional when wired to MiSTer. It really defeats the purpose of having a 2.4G controller if it's not working well wirelessly, IMO. Had I gotten the version with the Genesis compatible dongle I might just get a SNAC controller for it, but I don't think it's worth the total cost when factoring it in.

The Retro-bit has both dongles and costs more, but hopefully it works as one would expect. I'll be playing with it tonight and post findings later. If I can find some good instructions, I would like to do lag tests on the Retro-bit to get that added to the wiki as well. I'm a bit out of my element when it comes to futzing with hardware on Linux, but learning as I go. :)
Threepwood
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by Threepwood »

dukrous wrote:It really defeats the purpose of having a 2.4G controller if it's not working well wirelessly, IMO.
It works fine really. All that is missing in functionality is the extra star and heart buttons. You have six buttons, L, R, Start, Select and the D-Pad working as intended on MiSTer. The purpose of 2.4GHz radio gamepads is the much lower input lag compared to bluetooth. I have a ton of gamepads, including two M30 bluetooth and the difference in lag is very noticeable to me. (See here https://www.retrorgb.com/krikzz-joyzz-v ... sting.html)

That is why the Retrobit 2.4GHz Saturn Pad (which, contrary to the M30 2.4, has selectable X-Input and D-Input modes on wireless) and now this M30 2.4GHz are my go to gamepads.

But if you find lag measurements of the Retrobit, then I would be very interested in that. I have not found any yet.

EDIT: After playing some more with the M30 2.4GHz I will say this: If you only want to use the gamepad on MiSTer, then do not get the Retrobit. The Retrobit gamepad is great, but it is a good bit more expensive, because it includes the wireless connector for an original SEGA Saturn, has dedicated D-Input and X-Input modes and comes in a box. The M30 2.4 is cheaper, has in my eyes an even better build quality and aside from that one button that works on the Retrobit, but not on the M30, works perfectly. To connect the Retrobit, you need to press Start twice; once to wake it and again to connect it. The M30 pairs up at once.
2x MiSTer FPGA: [Official Stormtrooper Case, USB Hub 2.1 with Bridge Board, 128MB SDRAM, ADC, RTC 1.3, I/O v5.5] + [3D printed MiSTer XS Case v2, 128MB SDRAM, I/O v5.6 XL]
Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by Sorgelig »

You always can define combo for OSD button like DPad-Up + Select.
After some time you will get used to combo.
dukrous
Retro freak
Retro freak

Post by dukrous »

Sorgelig wrote:You always can define combo for OSD button like DPad-Up + Select.
After some time you will get used to combo.
I know. I'm being stubborn and will fully admit to this.

So, got the Genesis 8 button pad today and plugged it in. It has a toggle between X-input and D-input. Interesting thing...I can't get the Home button on the controller to be detected via D-input, but it works fine in X-input. This is the opposite in the PC, where the Home button is recognized as input 13 in X-input, but is not recognized at all in D-input. Weird, but not a dealbreaker. I just keep it in X-input and it works fine.

Also, it doesn't work wired at all, unlike the M30 2.4G. It's not promised or documented anywhere that it does, but figured someone might find this useful as I would've before I bought it.

Input lag feels weird. Initially it felt really laggy compared the M30 2.4G, but I popped on Mega Man 2 and it felt like I was wired. So, jury is out.

Either way, it feels nicer than the M30. The M30 has this weird top-heavy feel, like the controller wants to tip forward. The Retro-bit is nicely balanced although it feels cheaper. It's also so much lighter, and that plays into the idea of "I paid $35 for this?"

Anyways, I don't know how much more interesting this is in this thread, so this is likely the end. If this is more appropriate in another thread feel free to move it.

Also, Sorge, thank you for your work in MiSTer. It's honestly appreciated here. It's allowed me to indulge in a part of the hobby software emulation never fulfilled for me and has been missing for over 25 years. This is a truly special thing to me and I want to make sure I say something.

Return to “MiSTer”