https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

ChocoboTime
Atarian
Atarian

Re: Newbie questions

Post by ChocoboTime »

Bouboule69 wrote:
sqwirral wrote: Your files look okay to me. neo-epo.sp1 and sp-s2.sp1 are not required if you're using uni-bios.rom, so they're not the issue. I would grab romsets.xml again from the github, and open it in a text editor to make sure it looks correct.
So, I did that (from here: https://github.com/furrtek/Neogeo_MiSTe ... omsets.xml), and it still doesn't work.

I have no clue where the problem is coming from:

https://i.aveshack.com/8a05b6bd60b466e8.jpg

The folders names and roms are matching the xml files, the required files are here etc...

The individual game folders appears in the Mister menu, but are empty (I can not enter anything and can only go back to the neogeo folder with all the game folders listed)
"Your" ROMS are not in the proper format. You should have crom0, fpga, m1rom files and so on, 0 bin files.
Try grabbing the darksoft set, it has the proper format.

8bitsouls
Atarian
Atarian

Re: MISTER don't boot but DE10 does NO SDRAM

Post by 8bitsouls »

dshadoff wrote:
8bitsouls wrote:Hi,

I just received my DE10-Nano kit from terasIC. Everything boot with their sdcard.I decided to install Mister and I follow the github procedure, pretty straight forward. When I try to boot, there is no HDMI signal and 3 green light blinking on the board. Do I need a special configuration if I don't use SDRAM with Mister? I still didn't receive it but according to this guy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GID1ShPkK6k we don't need it.

Any solution?

Cheers
I found two things:
1) the wiki uses NES as an example, but it requires SDRAM in order to run; it would be better if the Wiki listed an example with a core which doesn't require SDRAM, so that people can get the initial test done more quickly and with less confusion.

2) The wiki overlooks setting up .ini files, filing these under "Following steps" although they are required. On the SDCard, in the root folder of the filesystem which your PC can read, there are a couple of example ini files which need to be copied or renamed in order for MiSTer to run (If memory serves, the names are '.example' rather than '.ini'). The wiki makes it sound like these aren't necessary if you don't need a custom install; they are needed, so need to be copied - but the contents don't need to be modified unless you using a custom install.

Hope this helps your situation.
Thanks for your answer. I manage to make it work. Look like I downloaded a old version of the Mister SD card installer.

Bouboule69
Retro freak
Retro freak

Post by Bouboule69 »

Ok thanks everyone, I did what sqwirral and tenshin2002 suggested (grabbing the xml file in the right place and "saving as" instead of copy and paste) and it is now working! :)

However, for every game I launch, there is a message saying "not enough memory. graphics will be corrupted" (I have a 128sdram card).
Earlier games works fine without any bugs, but later games are full of graphical glitches.

I've read in the Neogeo topic that it could come from a wrong 000-lo.lo file, so i've changed it for another one, with no luck.

Any idea?

sqwirral
Atari User
Atari User

Post by sqwirral »

Bouboule69 wrote:Ok thanks everyone, I did what sqwirral and tenshin2002 suggested (grabbing the xml file in the right place and "saving as" instead of copy and paste) and it is now working! :)

However, for every game I launch, there is a message saying "not enough memory. graphics will be corrupted" (I have a 128sdram card).
Earlier games works fine without any bugs, but later games are full of graphical glitches.

I've read in the Neogeo topic that it could come from a wrong 000-lo.lo file, so i've changed it for another one, with no luck.

Any idea?
Oh no :(
There's a memory test you could try https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/MemTest_MiSTer

comfysofa
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Post by comfysofa »

BigMac740p wrote:
comfysofa wrote:Sorry - just to clarify im not being tight or anything like that....ive got a full blown one at home and (without telling the story) ive got a second one at work to mess around with....just didnt want to throw the kitchen sink at it but, it sounds like the usb board and a bit of memory would need to be added...and, yes, all i wanted was the keyboard but it wont power it...just so were clear this is the micro usb socket is the OTG?
What king of keyboard we are talking about? I hope not an OLED Optimus Keyboard 8). Not all keyboard are equal, have try another model? Also, what else is connected on your De10?
Nothing special - just a regular dell keyboard....doesnt matter too much - i was going to sell it but, i might keep it and build it up as a second one minus the video board on the top. after 3 weeks on and off messing around with it ive just finally got the pc engine roms working. Im quite literally made of questions at the moment as it looks like ive got alot to learn...!

comfysofa
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Post by comfysofa »

Just out of curiosity as i said ive got a ton of questions....is it better to raise a separate thread for each one??

Bouboule69
Retro freak
Retro freak

Post by Bouboule69 »

sqwirral wrote:
Bouboule69 wrote:Ok thanks everyone, I did what sqwirral and tenshin2002 suggested (grabbing the xml file in the right place and "saving as" instead of copy and paste) and it is now working! :)

Any idea?
There's a memory test you could try https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/MemTest_MiSTer
Here is the result after running the test 15 minutes:
https://i.aveshack.com/16f6deb49ba64494.jpg

It seems like the sd ram board is not detected. Which is weird because I can run cores like the GBA and Mega cd without any trouble. :?

DJPWeb
Atarian
Atarian

Post by DJPWeb »

Bouboule69 wrote:
sqwirral wrote:

Any idea?

It seems like the sd ram board is not detected. Which is weird because I can run cores like the GBA and Mega cd without any trouble. :?
On the main menu do you have the full or half memory chip icon ?

michaeljk
Atarian
Atarian

Post by michaeljk »

Just a short question:
If I don't care about the NeoGeo core, how much SDRAM would you recommend? I'm in particular interested in the following cores: NES, SNES, C64, Minimig.

sqwirral
Atari User
Atari User

Post by sqwirral »

michaeljk wrote:Just a short question:
If I don't care about the NeoGeo core, how much SDRAM would you recommend? I'm in particular interested in the following cores: NES, SNES, C64, Minimig.
32 is enough for everything except a few Neo Geo and GBA games

Bouboule69
Retro freak
Retro freak

Post by Bouboule69 »

DJPWeb wrote:
Bouboule69 wrote:
sqwirral wrote: Oh no :(

I'm sorry... I don't see any memory chip icon. Is it supposed to be in the "system settings" section?
I watched some setting videos on youtube and didn't see any memory chip icon either.

BigMac740p
Atari freak
Atari freak

Post by BigMac740p »

Bouboule69 wrote:
DJPWeb wrote:
Bouboule69 wrote:

I'm sorry... I don't see any memory chip icon. Is it supposed to be in the "system settings" section?
I watched some setting videos on youtube and didn't see any memory chip icon either.
This:
mistermenu.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Bouboule69
Retro freak
Retro freak

Post by Bouboule69 »

https://i.aveshack.com/c8dbb611ba93b260.jpg

Nope, I don't have it :?
I don't know if it has anything to do with it, but my board isn't connected to anything, neither wifi or cable.

BigMac740p
Atari freak
Atari freak

Post by BigMac740p »

Bouboule69 wrote:https://i.aveshack.com/c8dbb611ba93b260.jpg

I don't know if it has anything to do with it, but my board isn't connected to anything, neither wifi or cable.
This is an issue, you should at least connect your Mister on a network and run the update scripts, you probably have an old version of the Mister Menu. Can you post a picture of your De10-Nano setup?

Bouboule69
Retro freak
Retro freak

Post by Bouboule69 »

BigMac740p wrote:

This is an issue, you should at least connect your Mister on a network and run the update scripts, you probably have an old version of the Mister Menu. Can you post a picture of your De10-Nano setup?
This is where the problem was coming from. The Neogeo core is running fine now that everything is up to date. Thanks! :)

Bouboule69
Retro freak
Retro freak

Post by Bouboule69 »

Bouboule69 wrote:
BigMac740p wrote:

This is where the problem was coming from. The Neogeo core is running fine now that everything is up to date and that memory chip icon is now showing. Thanks everyone! :)

nagus
Atarian
Atarian

Post by nagus »

Is there a way to map screenshot to one of the unused function keys on my keyboard?

I read ( https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_Mi ... i/Keyboard ) that remap doesn't allow macros. Since the screenshot function is multi key, I'm guessing not. Just wanted to verify. Thanks!

comfysofa
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

More Newbie Questions

Post by comfysofa »

To the admins: Can this one be kept seaparate from the Newbie questions (i think my last question did and then it disappeared in a sea of more experienced users and i got totally lost).

Ill probably jump around a bit but...

Had mine since xmas eve but never actually used it correctly as i was suffering from a network issue which took forever to find (fix was simple in the end)

Been messing with it on and off for 10 days or so....ive got no where near as much as i expected to. So far a handful of arcade roms and the TG16 stuff (that all works)

Ive got a few different memory cards on the go but, i would say the only way ive gotten what ive gotten working so far has more been by chance.

It would be nice if there were some walkthrough's from start to finish for each core....what scripts to run and where said scripts expect to see stuff....

Another thing ive learnt is to use ftp or notepad++ to edit and move scripts....(to anyone else starting out) dont use windows copy to do them. I think it reformats the script so they fail....

And the questions...
1. Rom/image aquisition. Ive got a ton of mame roms (found an archive of TurboGrafx roms) by luck but not found any other ones...id like to try some NeoGeo ones especially metal slug.
2. I primarily started with the arcade roms (one person has said theyre tricky) so did i start with the wrong thing? ie go for the consoles first?
3. Following on with the arcade rom thing....ive tried a few and theyve worked but one that i wanted to play (xevious) didnt work - is there a thread for fault finding a rom not working?
4. Scripts - if you run a script from x developer that says itll do this this and this....will that break other stuff (i a previous script from another dev)?

I do appreciate that it takes quite a bit of messing around with but watching the vids on youtube i thought...."yeah ill have all that running in about an hour or so....not..." :)

Look forward to comments from people willing to take a stab.

Cheers

BigMac740p
Atari freak
Atari freak

Re: More Newbie Questions

Post by BigMac740p »

comfysofa wrote:To the admins: Can this one be kept seaparate from the Newbie questions (i think my last question did and then it disappeared in a sea of more experienced users and i got totally lost).

Ill probably jump around a bit but...

Had mine since xmas eve but never actually used it correctly as i was suffering from a network issue which took forever to find (fix was simple in the end)

Been messing with it on and off for 10 days or so....ive got no where near as much as i expected to. So far a handful of arcade roms and the TG16 stuff (that all works)

Ive got a few different memory cards on the go but, i would say the only way ive gotten what ive gotten working so far has more been by chance.

It would be nice if there were some walkthrough's from start to finish for each core....what scripts to run and where said scripts expect to see stuff....

Another thing ive learnt is to use ftp or notepad++ to edit and move scripts....(to anyone else starting out) dont use windows copy to do them. I think it reformats the script so they fail....

And the questions...
1. Rom/image aquisition. Ive got a ton of mame roms (found an archive of TurboGrafx roms) by luck but not found any other ones...id like to try some NeoGeo ones especially metal slug.
2. I primarily started with the arcade roms (one person has said theyre tricky) so did i start with the wrong thing? ie go for the consoles first?
3. Following on with the arcade rom thing....ive tried a few and theyve worked but one that i wanted to play (xevious) didnt work - is there a thread for fault finding a rom not working?
4. Scripts - if you run a script from x developer that says itll do this this and this....will that break other stuff (i a previous script from another dev)?

I do appreciate that it takes quite a bit of messing around with but watching the vids on youtube i thought...."yeah ill have all that running in about an hour or so....not..." :)

Look forward to comments from people willing to take a stab.

Cheers
A full setup walkthrough could be handy for sure!

Here is my shots at your questions:

1) Since ROMS are copyrighted stuffs, I don't think you will got any help on this here. Torrents and archives.org are your best options, check for DarkSoft and Smoke Monsters ROM packs.

2) For sure the Arcade setup is much more complicated than running a console core with a rom per games.

3) For Arcades roms, check Retrodriven GitHub here: https://github.com/RetroDriven/MiSTerMAME

4) It should not break anything, but keep in mind the Arcade files structure have gone tru a massive overhaul with news MRA files and directory structure, It messed with the updates scripts and there is some setup in update scripts .ini files to do the transition between the old and new structures.

comfysofa
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Post by comfysofa »

Cheers - from what i can see theres a folder with the...rbf file in it ( think the script generates that) but crucially the (Bootrom) was the bit that got it working....since ive posted i would say 90% of the arcade roms are working so far (that ive tried) - still going through them though...

Roms: Yeah id gathered that...thought it was worth a shot though...i did go looking straight after i posted and found a couple....i tried both files in the neo geo folder as extracted files into folders and also as zips but it wouldnt read either....

Thank for the reply.

BigMac740p
Atari freak
Atari freak

Post by BigMac740p »

comfysofa wrote:i tried both files in the neo geo folder as extracted files into folders and also as zips but it wouldnt read either....
With NeoGeo, you need the correct bios roms to make it work. I can hook you with that, send me a PM.

baroncorvo
Atarian
Atarian

Post by baroncorvo »

You sound like you have all the scripts so if you run the updater script that will download all the console cores you want. For roms archive.org will be your friend. Search for the darksoft neo geo pack. That will set you on the right path.

For arcade I think you want mame 0216 roms but i'll leave that to others who play more arcade games than I do to confirm. Again, archive.org will help you out.

comfysofa
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Post by comfysofa »

Thanks very much - and what about how the neo geo core looks for the roms...what is it expecting to see? its not zips or expanded folders...

BigMac740p
Atari freak
Atari freak

Post by BigMac740p »

comfysofa wrote:Thanks very much - and what about how the neo geo core looks for the roms...what is it expecting to see? its not zips or expanded folders...
First you should have your Neo Geo Bios ROMs in your Neo Geo games folder, then you need your romsets.xml files for parsing the roms. After, your Neo Geo games should consiste of multiple ROMs files stored into separated folders for each games. On my setup, I've zipped all those neo geo games folders within one big zip file (3.8GB).

comfysofa
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Post by comfysofa »

Got the pack - thanks very much - looking at the extracted folder they dont seem to have very much relationship to the games within them...im guessing thats what the core is looking for.

Return to “MiSTer”