Newbie questions

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

jca
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Re: Newbie questions

Post by jca »

Does your OTG cable provide power? It could be an OTG cable wired for connecting to a device which has its own power and thus would not provide power. I doubt this is the case but it should be easy to check.

BigMac740p
Atari freak
Atari freak

Post by BigMac740p »

comfysofa wrote:Sorry - just to clarify im not being tight or anything like that....ive got a full blown one at home and (without telling the story) ive got a second one at work to mess around with....just didnt want to throw the kitchen sink at it but, it sounds like the usb board and a bit of memory would need to be added...and, yes, all i wanted was the keyboard but it wont power it...just so were clear this is the micro usb socket is the OTG?
What king of keyboard we are talking about? I hope not an OLED Optimus Keyboard 8). Not all keyboard are equal, have try another model? Also, what else is connected on your De10?

Kannibal
Retro freak
Retro freak

Post by Kannibal »

I am gonna reiterate a question I asked on the facebook group over in these forums because my thread devolved into "muh RGB" and got me nowhere.

So are there any cores that might have trouble displaying over an S-Video signal? This is mostly to keep myself from getting my hopes up for anything other than the two specific consoles I wanna play on the MiSTer.

Peredonov

Post by Peredonov »

Kannibal wrote: So are there any cores that might have trouble displaying over an S-Video signal? This is mostly to keep myself from getting my hopes up for anything other than the two specific consoles I wanna play on the MiSTer.
There's no S-video/YC output. You would need an RGB (or YPbPr) to S-video transcoder. The problem is that a lot of such devices were made either to scan convert computer signals (31khz and above) to 15khz SDTV signals, or, if only transcoding, to handle regular interlaced broadcast 15khz signals. I don't know of any device that takes low res 15khz (240p) from RGB to output the same signal simply transcoded to S-video. If anyone knows of one, please share the info. I have heard Retrotink's Mike Chi may work on such a device (HDMI in, S-video and composite out), but that's not coming out any time soon.

Kannibal
Retro freak
Retro freak

Post by Kannibal »

Peredonov wrote:
Kannibal wrote: So are there any cores that might have trouble displaying over an S-Video signal? This is mostly to keep myself from getting my hopes up for anything other than the two specific consoles I wanna play on the MiSTer.
There's no S-video/YC output. You would need an RGB (or YPbPr) to S-video transcoder. The problem is that a lot of such devices were made either to scan convert computer signals (31khz and above) to 15khz SDTV signals, or, if only transcoding, to handle regular interlaced broadcast 15khz signals. I don't know of any device that takes low res 15khz (240p) from RGB to output the same signal simply transcoded to S-video. If anyone knows of one, please share the info. I have heard Retrotink's Mike Chi may work on such a device (HDMI in, S-video and composite out), but that's not coming out any time soon.
So you mean this doesn't work?

https://www.antoniovillena.es/store/pro ... o-adapter/

sajattack
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Post by sajattack »

It only works with 15KHz I believe, aka 240p.

Bouboule69
Retro freak
Retro freak

Post by Bouboule69 »

Hey everyone,

I'm having some issues setting up the Neogeo core. I can not start any games, the core doesn't see them in the menu.
All my games are unzipped and in their own folders.

Here is a picture of my sd card, am I missing something?

https://i.aveshack.com/6d462bd1ea8b47e2.jpg

BigMac740p
Atari freak
Atari freak

Post by BigMac740p »

Bouboule69 wrote:Hey everyone,

I'm having some issues setting up the Neogeo core. I can not start any games, the core doesn't see them in the menu.
All my games are unzipped and in their own folders.

Here is a picture of my sd card, am I missing something?

https://i.aveshack.com/6d462bd1ea8b47e2.jpg
This is what my /media/fat/games/NeoGeo looks like, I'm loading my roms from a CIFS share:

Code: Select all

/media/fat/games/NeoGeo# ls -las
total 2784
 32 drwxr-xr-x  2 root root  32768 Jan  3 22:58 .
 32 drwxr-xr-x 60 root root  32768 Jan  5 12:20 ..
128 -rwxr-xr-x  1 root root 131072 Jan  3 21:25 000-lo.lo
 32 -rwxr-xr-x  1 root root  23735 Dec 12 13:28 romsets.xml
128 -rwxr-xr-x  1 root root 131072 Jan  3 21:26 sfix.sfix
128 -rwxr-xr-x  1 root root 131072 Jan  3 21:27 sp1-j3.bin
128 -rwxr-xr-x  1 root root 131072 Jan  3 21:27 sp1-u2
128 -rwxr-xr-x  1 root root 131072 Jan  3 22:58 sp1-u3.bin
128 -rwxr-xr-x  1 root root 131072 Jan  3 22:58 sp1-u4.bin
512 -rwxr-xr-x  1 root root 524288 Jan  3 21:27 sp-45.sp1
128 -rwxr-xr-x  1 root root 131072 Jan  3 21:27 sp-e.sp1
128 -rwxr-xr-x  1 root root 131072 Jan  3 21:27 sp-j2.sp1
512 -rwxr-xr-x  1 root root 524288 Jan  3 21:27 sp-j3.sp1
128 -rwxr-xr-x  1 root root 131072 Jan  3 21:27 sp-s2.sp1
128 -rwxr-xr-x  1 root root 131072 Jan  3 21:27 sp-s3.sp1
128 -rwxr-xr-x  1 root root 131072 Jan  3 21:27 sp-s.sp1
128 -rwxr-xr-x  1 root root 131072 Jan  3 21:27 sp-u2.sp1
128 -rwxr-xr-x  1 root root 131072 Jan  3 21:24 uni-bios.rom

jca

Post by jca »

From the Neo-Geo readme:
In addition, several bios files must be placed in the NEOGEO folder for the core to function properly:

000-lo.lo
sfix.sfix
sp-s2.sp1 (MVS)
neo-epo.sp1 (AES)
uni-bios.rom
Sometimes these files may be named slightly differently depending on where they are obtained, but they must be renamed to match the filenames above to work with MiSTer.

You have a bunch of files but neo-epo.sp1 is missing.
My guess is that you have to rename sp-e.sp1 to neo-epo.sp1.

BigMac740p
Atari freak
Atari freak

Post by BigMac740p »

jca wrote:From the Neo-Geo readme:
I know I've got to much files, but my setup is working correctly. It's Bouboule69 who got issue with his setup, he is missing some bios rom and his romsets.xml is not correctly named I think.

Kannibal
Retro freak
Retro freak

Post by Kannibal »

sajattack wrote:It only works with 15KHz I believe, aka 240p.
And I plan to be using it with a CRT TV that has S-Video. or am I misinterpreting it's purpose?

jca

Post by jca »

BigMac740p wrote:
I know I've got to much files, but my setup is working correctly. It's Bouboule69 who got issue with his setup, he is missing some bios rom and his romsets.xml is not correctly named I think.
Sorry for the mistake, I was not fully awake this morning and not feeling too good but I hope it will be helpful for Bouboule.
But the instructions are clear. I did not know anything about the NeoGeo besides the name but I just followed the instructions and it worked first time.
I am using the Unibios and I am not sure if the sp1 files are needed but the readme says they MUST be there so they will stay there.
Note pour Bouboule:
Si tu suis les instructions a la lettre ca devrait marcher du premier coup. RTFM!

sajattack
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Post by sajattack »

Kannibal wrote:
And I plan to be using it with a CRT TV that has S-Video. or am I misinterpreting it's purpose?
If the core outputs a video signal greater than 240p it will look messed up.

Kannibal
Retro freak
Retro freak

Post by Kannibal »

sajattack wrote:
Kannibal wrote:
Thank you, this is what I wanted to know. Will it look distorted/squished or will it actually behave like an out of sync output?

Bouboule69
Retro freak
Retro freak

Post by Bouboule69 »

jca wrote:
BigMac740p wrote:

I am using the Unibios and I am not sure if the sp1 files are needed but the readme says they MUST be there so they will stay there.
That's what I initially thought too about the Unibios.
I did what BigMax740p suggested and renamed the sp-e.sp1 files, and tried to get the same bios from another source, both with no luck.

Also, I renamed the XML file "romsets.xml"

Did I put the bios in the right place?

SD Card MISTer data > games > NeoGeo (bios and unzipped games in their folders)

Here is a picture of one of my unzipped roms, just in case my roms are missing something:
https://i.aveshack.com/b9e04a6bcf2e708e.jpg

sajattack
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Post by sajattack »

Kannibal wrote:
sajattack wrote:
Kannibal wrote: And I plan to be using it with a CRT TV that has S-Video. or am I misinterpreting it's purpose?
Thank you, this is what I wanted to know. Will it look distorted/squished or will it actually behave like an out of sync output?
Bit of both. You will probably see it distorted and squished and it won't sync up properly. You might be able to use the video_mode setting to downscale idk I've never tried.

8bitsouls
Atarian
Atarian

MISTER don't boot but DE10 does NO SDRAM

Post by 8bitsouls »

Hi,

I just received my DE10-Nano kit from terasIC. Everything boot with their sdcard.I decided to install Mister and I follow the github procedure, pretty straight forward. When I try to boot, there is no HDMI signal and 3 green light blinking on the board. Do I need a special configuration if I don't use SDRAM with Mister? I still didn't receive it but according to this guy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GID1ShPkK6k we don't need it.

Any solution?

Cheers

sqwirral
Atari User
Atari User

Post by sqwirral »

Bouboule69 wrote:
jca wrote:
BigMac740p wrote:

I did what BigMax740p suggested and renamed the sp-e.sp1 files, and tried to get the same bios from another source, both with no luck.

Here is a picture of one of my unzipped roms, just in case my roms are missing something:
Your files look okay to me. neo-epo.sp1 and sp-s2.sp1 are not required if you're using uni-bios.rom, so they're not the issue. I would grab romsets.xml again from the github, and open it in a text editor to make sure it looks correct.

BigMac740p
Atari freak
Atari freak

Post by BigMac740p »

Bouboule69 wrote:
jca wrote:
BigMac740p wrote:

Also, if I’m not mistaken the romset.xml provided only work with unencrypted DarkSoft ROMs, if you’re using MAME ROMs it won’t be recognized.

@jca; Y’a t’il une grande communauté francophone ici? Bonjour du Québec!

Bouboule69
Retro freak
Retro freak

Post by Bouboule69 »

sqwirral wrote: Your files look okay to me. neo-epo.sp1 and sp-s2.sp1 are not required if you're using uni-bios.rom, so they're not the issue. I would grab romsets.xml again from the github, and open it in a text editor to make sure it looks correct.
So, I did that (from here: https://github.com/furrtek/Neogeo_MiSTe ... omsets.xml), and it still doesn't work.

I have no clue where the problem is coming from:

https://i.aveshack.com/8a05b6bd60b466e8.jpg

The folders names and roms are matching the xml files, the required files are here etc...

The individual game folders appears in the Mister menu, but are empty (I can not enter anything and can only go back to the neogeo folder with all the game folders listed)
Last edited by Bouboule69 on Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

tenshin2002
Atariator
Atariator

Post by tenshin2002 »

Bouboule69 wrote:
sqwirral wrote: Your files look okay to me. neo-epo.sp1 and sp-s2.sp1 are not required if you're using uni-bios.rom, so they're not the issue. I would grab romsets.xml again from the github, and open it in a text editor to make sure it looks correct.
So, I did that (from here: https://github.com/furrtek/Neogeo_MiSTe ... omsets.xml), and it still doesn't work.

I have no clue where the problem is coming from:

https://i.aveshack.com/8a05b6bd60b466e8.jpg

The folders names and roms are matching the xml files, the required files are here etc...
I´ve been helping several with this issue and many times it can be two things:

1. Open your xml file on the SD card an se the content of it. Sometimes its tricky to download the xml file from Github, and instead of the file you get a file with the web adress to the file.

2. If you transfer your files to MiSTer using FTP, make sure you are only transferring in BIN mode.

Hope this helps as it has helped several people already.

Bouboule69
Retro freak
Retro freak

Post by Bouboule69 »

tenshin2002 wrote:

1. Open your xml file on the SD card an se the content of it. Sometimes its tricky to download the xml file from Github, and instead of the file you get a file with the web adress to the file.

2. If you transfer your files to MiSTer using FTP, make sure you are only transferring in BIN mode.

Well, I opened the github's content on it's raw form (https://raw.githubusercontent.com/furrt ... omsets.xml) and right-clicked "select everything", to then copie and paste everything into a notepad document (renamed "romsets.xml").

Should it work? I'm not gonna lie, I'm not familiar with this stuff.

I don't use FTP to transfer my files, I just use the sd card.

tenshin2002
Atariator
Atariator

Post by tenshin2002 »

Bouboule69 wrote:
tenshin2002 wrote:

Well, I opened the github's content on it's raw form (https://raw.githubusercontent.com/furrt ... omsets.xml) and right-clicked "select everything", to then copie and paste everything into a notepad document (renamed "romsets.xml").

Should it work? I'm not gonna lie, I'm not familiar with this stuff.

I don't use FTP to transfer my files, I just use the sd card.
Open in Raw format, right-click and select "Save As". It will then save with the right name and file format.

dshadoff
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Re: MISTER don't boot but DE10 does NO SDRAM

Post by dshadoff »

8bitsouls wrote:Hi,

I just received my DE10-Nano kit from terasIC. Everything boot with their sdcard.I decided to install Mister and I follow the github procedure, pretty straight forward. When I try to boot, there is no HDMI signal and 3 green light blinking on the board. Do I need a special configuration if I don't use SDRAM with Mister? I still didn't receive it but according to this guy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GID1ShPkK6k we don't need it.

Any solution?

Cheers
I found two things:
1) the wiki uses NES as an example, but it requires SDRAM in order to run; it would be better if the Wiki listed an example with a core which doesn't require SDRAM, so that people can get the initial test done more quickly and with less confusion.

2) The wiki overlooks setting up .ini files, filing these under "Following steps" although they are required. On the SDCard, in the root folder of the filesystem which your PC can read, there are a couple of example ini files which need to be copied or renamed in order for MiSTer to run (If memory serves, the names are '.example' rather than '.ini'). The wiki makes it sound like these aren't necessary if you don't need a custom install; they are needed, so need to be copied - but the contents don't need to be modified unless you using a custom install.

Hope this helps your situation.

sqwirral
Atari User
Atari User

Post by sqwirral »

Bouboule69 wrote:
That's not the official mister github and that file is from June 2019, did you try the current one?
https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/NeoGeo_ ... r/releases

Return to “MiSTer”