Newbie questions

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

subw00ter
Retro freak
Retro freak

Re: Newbie questions

Post by subw00ter »

I can't get any cores to run except for menu.rbf. I get no HDMI signal when I select a core such as NES or Genesis.

I have:

-DE10 Nano
-OEM PSU
-OEM SD Card
-Working USB keyboard
-HDMI (I've tried 3 monitors, 2 TVs, and an A/V Receiver. All show MiSTer main menu but lose signal when I try a core)
-No RAM or I/O board (just running NES and Genesis for now)

What I did:
-Used Mister SD Card Utility, installs perfectly, boots to menu over HDMI
-Updated newest menu core and firmware
-Added newest releases of NES and Genesis Cores

Menu loads, I can even go to the script menu with F12, and change background with F1.

But, when I select a core, the HDMI signal disappears. F12 and F1 do nothing at this point.

ALL LEDs on the board shut off except for 3.3V power LED.
djmartins
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by djmartins »

pbsk8 wrote:I have seen some smokemonster videos on yt and he says io board is not necessary to use mister fpga

so what about the RTC that I always see in videos on youtube on a list of items you need to build a mister fpga, is it still necessary even if I wont buy an IO board?
The RTC board is not needed by any core and if you hook up to the internet the time gets sets automatically.
Get a wifi dongle and get that going and forget about the RTC board unless you want to have ALL the addons.
I bought a dongle like this one from the Terasic website and added a driver for it and it has worked fine for me ever since:
https://www.terasic.com.tw/cgi-bin/page ... 78&No=1027

Here is one on aliexpress:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1000001 ... b201603_53

The IO board does have a fan which is important as some cores heat up the FPGA a lot but if you don't need VGA or some of the other things on the IO board you really need just a fan and way to mount it and a memory module to run all the cores.
A 32mb memory module will run all the cores except a couple of recent arcade ones that have sprite corruption on Winbond modules (alliance ones work ok) and some of the games for NeoGeo need more memory and I think a few of the games for the new GBA core needs a bit more memory than the 32Mb module provides.
Wwweh
Atarian
Atarian

Only have a single USB port: Can I predefine keys for a gamepad?

Post by Wwweh »

Howdy!

Recently got a mister and have been trying to get up and running on it.

One issue I have is that I only have a single port USB OTG that I can use and I'd like to predefine the keys for SNES etc without having to define it using a keyboard then swapping out

Is there any way I can add to a config file somewhere default keymappings (for something like a usb Xbox 360 controller) for cores and the mister just using that at boot?

Sorry if this is a simple question, I searched and couldn't find anything
Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by Sorgelig »

There are many places where you need a keyboard.
MiSTer is not a console, it's more like computer. So keyboard is a must.
softtest1
Atari User
Atari User

Post by softtest1 »

When I didn't have a USB hub, I connected a keyboard first just to open the controller mapping. Then I disconnected the keyboard, connected the gamepad and mapped it. Once you can at least navigate the menu with the gamepad, you should be able to remap specific buttons in cores too.
Isstanar
Atarian
Atarian

Easy USB Hard Drive Issue

Post by Isstanar »

I'm having trouble getting my hard drive to be used by the mister for games storage.

I have an external 4TB Seagate USB drive (external power) plugged in to my Mister in the official USB Hub 1.2, I have a games folder and one folder inside called MegaCD (so games/MegaCD/), but the mister doesn't seem to access the hard drive for games at all. I've updated to the latest releases and even tried reformatting my SD card and the hard drive just to make sure. Anyone else have this issue? Could 4TB be too big for the mister to recognize?
Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by Sorgelig »

Hard drive starts much slower than MiSTer. So give a time before launch the core. Or get an SSD.
djmartins
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: Easy USB Hard Drive Issue

Post by djmartins »

Isstanar wrote:Anyone else have this issue? Could 4TB be too big for the mister to recognize?
A large folder can take quite a bit of time to load.
comfysofa
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

New to Mister, accomplished not much so far.

Post by comfysofa »

Hi All - as above, xmas present to myself (ex amiga owner, [A500, A1500 and A4000] ) and thought id breeze through getting one running but alas no...wondered if i could possibly garner a bit of help...ill list in a rough-shod way what ive got working (not a great deal) and what not (a great deal)

1. Built the mister (got the output board and the usb board) - the easy bit.
2. Managed to get the base install on there.
3. Thats about it (where i came unstuck)

Thought id try with the Defender core - go with the easy stuff i thought....went to the wiki - followed the instructions (tried to extract on the pc, worked, in that i got the rom) tried on the mister (that failed looking for a non existent file) took the rom and the rbf file - chucked them on the root and got a dark blue screen and thats about it.

No clue on how to get the network enabled (scoured the net but found nothing, the wiki kinda skates through in a rough way but didnt [for me] seem to be very helpful - follow the linux way...or something like that...

Look forward to any help from anyone that chips in...

Cheers.
sqwirral
Atari User
Atari User

Re: New to Mister, accomplished not much so far.

Post by sqwirral »

comfysofa wrote:Hi All - as above, xmas present to myself (ex amiga owner, [A500, A1500 and A4000] ) and thought id breeze through getting one running but alas no...wondered if i could possibly garner a bit of help...ill list in a rough-shod way what ive got working (not a great deal) and what not (a great deal)

1. Built the mister (got the output board and the usb board) - the easy bit.
2. Managed to get the base install on there.
3. Thats about it (where i came unstuck)

Thought id try with the Defender core - go with the easy stuff i thought....went to the wiki - followed the instructions (tried to extract on the pc, worked, in that i got the rom) tried on the mister (that failed looking for a non existent file) took the rom and the rbf file - chucked them on the root and got a dark blue screen and thats about it.
Arcades are probably the hardest, get a console working first I'd say.
You've seen the setup guide right? https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_Mi ... etup-Guide
No clue on how to get the network enabled (scoured the net but found nothing, the wiki kinda skates through in a rough way but didnt [for me] seem to be very helpful - follow the linux way...or something like that...

FTP straight into it with user = root, pw = 1. Your IP is shown in the main menu
Or see here https://youtu.be/2WUTFHu0QUs?t=1148

Lon's 2 streams in general may help with various things
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aEEbKvZQz4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WUTFHu0QUs
There are other setup vids on Youtube too
comfysofa
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Post by comfysofa »

Yep - been on this thing pretty well all day and got nothing working...the best i can get is the menu - thats it....cant even get the network, to work...took the _ off the samba file - nothing. Tried different cables, tried differen lan ports - even the one my pc is in, nothing, all i get is the green light on the lan port - not the amber one....literally everything ive done hasnt worked...
comfysofa
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Post by comfysofa »

At its most very basic in the menu i get "no network" so im guessing i might have a faulty one....
comfysofa
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Post by comfysofa »

Yeah - ive looked at lots of lon's you tube videos but...as i say, at the very most basic point - everyone just shows an ip....i dont get even get that...
comfysofa
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Post by comfysofa »

I wonder if anyone could, post a pic of their mister board (there are some dip switches on there) which could be set differently - im wondering if theres a physical switch that switches off the lan port? clutching at straws now mind you...at this point im assuming its faulty....

I got hold of an x arcade stick and the plan was to play the defender core using that....i managed to generate the rom but when i tried to run it i got a blue screen...thats the results of all my efforts !!
comfysofa
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Post by comfysofa »

Thought id have another crack at it this morning....if i format the card, install the os using the mister tool and at that point change nothing and plug it in to the mister and boot i should see an IP number yes?
sqwirral
Atari User
Atari User

Post by sqwirral »

comfysofa wrote:Thought id have another crack at it this morning....if i format the card, install the os using the mister tool and at that point change nothing and plug it in to the mister and boot i should see an IP number yes?
I'd grab the latest firmware & menu after updating, as the setup guide shows, but yes I think it should show an IP plugged into your router right away.

The discord chat might be helpful if someone with more experience fancies helping out, it's quicker in real-time than waiting for forum posts
https://discord.gg/UDu5ztY
comfysofa
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Post by comfysofa »

Yeah - ive tried that (this morning) im presuming you mean grabbings the latest mister and menu file and overwriting them....no difference....

just gonna configure an old access point and a usb dongle (Edimax) and see if it can make a connection that way....if that works itll be something then ill see about getting it swapped out....

Cheers
comfysofa
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Post by comfysofa »

Well, that worked! if anyone wants to know an Edimax wireless network dongle works - model number ew-7811Un

https://www.edimax.com/edimax/merchandi ... ew-7811un/

This'll tide me over til i get a replacement board sent out to me....still no hard cable but the files are small so its not the end of the world - for the moment...
comfysofa
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Post by comfysofa »

Nerd based linux question now....now ive got SSH over ip to the box and im assuming the onboard ethernet is eth0 - how can i diagnose the problem (assuming it could be software) and also if it will tell me if the hardware is knacked...
comfysofa
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Post by comfysofa »

So - the wireless dongle, works, makes a connection but, when trying to download the update script the bandwidth kinda dwindles to nothing....gonna give up for the day...
Isstanar
Atarian
Atarian

Post by Isstanar »

Sorgelig wrote:Hard drive starts much slower than MiSTer. So give a time before launch the core. Or get an SSD.
I did try waiting and that didn't seem to help, but thanks for the response. I actually got it to work by reformatting my SD card for a third time and putting all the games in the root of the hard drive instead of the in a games folder. Not sure why that fixed it, but it's working fine now.
carlosrobayo23
Atarian
Atarian

Post by carlosrobayo23 »

Isstanar wrote:
Sorgelig wrote:Hard drive starts much slower than MiSTer. So give a time before launch the core. Or get an SSD.
I did try waiting and that didn't seem to help, but thanks for the response. I actually got it to work by reformatting my SD card for a third time and putting all the games in the root of the hard drive instead of the in a games folder. Not sure why that fixed it, but it's working fine now.
In the smokemonster video he had folders for every console in the Hard Drive, I believe it’s not mandatory to put them in the root like you did it. Did you format your hard drive in NTFS, FAT32, exFat?

I’m trying with a NTFS hard drive and it’s not working, but I don’t want format it again unless someone confirms that works fine witH FAT32 or exFat.
Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by Sorgelig »

NTFS is supported
carlosrobayo23
Atarian
Atarian

Post by carlosrobayo23 »

Sorgelig wrote:NTFS is supported
Thanks for your reply. Any idea why the USB External Hard drive is not being detected. I'm using same SD Folders.
baroncorvo
Atarian
Atarian

Noob question about booting DE-10 nano

Post by baroncorvo »

Hi all,

I've tried setting up my de10 nano as described in the wiki but had no uck. It just wouldn't display anything on screen. I've tried different menu cores and mister firmware files and can only get it to work with the oldest mister firmware file on github. With this file i can get to the normal mister menu core.

I'm using a mister without any sdram as that hasn't arrived yet.

Any suggestion would be welcome.
Thanks

Return to “MiSTer”