Newbie questions

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

hyperterminal
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: NES core giving me a blank white screen, loading roms does nothing

Post by hyperterminal »

RabidWookie wrote:Can anyone help me figure out what the issue is? Other cores seem to work properly.
Do you have the SDRAM board installed?
RabidWookie
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Post by RabidWookie »

Yes.
RabidWookie
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Post by RabidWookie »

I've got the 128mb board, just played Garou Mark of the Wolves on the Neo Geo core.
RabidWookie
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Post by RabidWookie »

Hmm, I just tried again (changing nothing other than from a Genesis controller to a Saturn controller via Blisster) and all of a sudden it's working normally...
jca
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Zip files and SD card wear

Post by jca »

When keeping roms in zip files they have to be unzipped when using them. Is this unzipping done in memory? Even if it is done in memory there is no guarantee that the SD card won't be used temporarily during the process.
Is it worth it keeping roms in zip files?

Jean-Claude
djmartins
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by djmartins »

RabidWookie wrote:Hmm, I just tried again (changing nothing other than from a Genesis controller to a Saturn controller via Blisster) and all of a sudden it's working normally...
:cheers:
SoundCompozer
Atarian
Atarian

C64_20190927 core some gfx glitches

Post by SoundCompozer »

Hello there. Here is example of glithces with MISTer C64 core https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuE1YfR41cw
what could it be? It's appears only with C64 core. SDRAM checks is ok. Used last versions of MISTer (20191103) and C64_20190927. This glitches shown on various hdmi resolution. Please, help to understand this errata. Thanx
Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Re: C64_20190927 core some gfx glitches

Post by Sorgelig »

SoundCompozer wrote:Hello there. Here is example of glithces with MISTer C64 core https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuE1YfR41cw
what could it be? It's appears only with C64 core. SDRAM checks is ok. Used last versions of MISTer (20191103) and C64_20190927. This glitches shown on various hdmi resolution. Please, help to understand this errata. Thanx
is it in specific intro only? Core is not perfect anyway.
SoundCompozer
Atarian
Atarian

Post by SoundCompozer »

Sorgelig wrote:is it in specific intro only? Core is not perfect anyway.
Yes, only specific intro. Also a couple of games contains some tiny glitches on raster IRQ effects. I'm a newbie with MISTer and assume the SDRAM speed issue. With SDRAM test core, i get 140 Mhz works flawless (with 160 Mhz the similar effect appears on many progs running with C64 core). BTW is there sdram speed stores anywhere (after memtest runnin) or memtest only testing it and each core use they own SDRAM freq?

Thanx and big thanx for great job on MISTer
SoundCompozer
Atarian
Atarian

Post by SoundCompozer »

Sorgelig wrote:is it in specific intro only? Core is not perfect anyway.
You can check this intro https://yadi.sk/d/FTNBQJkcxa8WHw
Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Re: Newbie questions

Post by Sorgelig »

no relation to SDRAM
Freddo
Atarian
Atarian

Post by Freddo »

Is there any way to bind a keyboard shortcut to load mister_alt.ini ? The way my case is I can't access the ioboard buttons but I really want to use mister_alt.ini to toggle directvideo.
Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by Sorgelig »

Freddo wrote:Is there any way to bind a keyboard shortcut to load mister_alt.ini ? The way my case is I can't access the ioboard buttons but I really want to use mister_alt.ini to toggle directvideo.
This is specifically for debugging and not supposed to be used by normal user. So question is irrelevant!
Wiedo
Atarian
Atarian

Post by Wiedo »

Hi all. I’m new. I just took the plunge and ordered some stuff assemble my MiSTer. I ordered the main board, 64MB extension, a heatsink and an usb hub. My question is: is a fan absolutely needed? And if so how can I attach it to my board? I have the possibility to 3D print something if that’s needed. Thanks in advance for the anwer!
Last edited by Wiedo on Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
xav2075
Atariator
Atariator

Post by xav2075 »

A fan is needed is to cool the main FPGA System On A Chip. I have found without cooling the SDRAM test utility will show errors and many cores will glitch and be buggy. I use a cheap 50mm fan from ebay. It does the job and makes no noise.
Wiedo
Atarian
Atarian

Post by Wiedo »

xav2075 wrote:A fan is needed is to cool the main FPGA System On A Chip. I have found without cooling the SDRAM test utility will show errors and many cores will glitch and be buggy. I use a cheap 50mm fan from ebay. It does the job and makes no noise.
How to attach the fan without an IO board or case?
Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by Sorgelig »

Wiedo wrote:
xav2075 wrote:A fan is needed is to cool the main FPGA System On A Chip. I have found without cooling the SDRAM test utility will show errors and many cores will glitch and be buggy. I use a cheap 50mm fan from ebay. It does the job and makes no noise.
It's basically DIY project. So you are free to find the way to add a FAN
catenaccio
Atari User
Atari User

Post by catenaccio »

Sorgelig wrote:
Wiedo wrote:
It's basically DIY project. So you are free to find the way to add a FAN
I just cut the metacrilate (with a dremel) over the disipator that I put in the cpu, and glued a fan. Easy and cheap
rsn8887
Atari User
Atari User

Post by rsn8887 »

Wiedo wrote:
I have used my Mister for over a week without fan or heatsink, without glitches. But I guess it is better to use some cooling solution, especially since I just put it in a case with very small ventilation slots.

I just installed a heatsink from Amazon today, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01JB8MQ76/
51TJOt88gqL.jpg
And I ordered this PCB fan solution from misteraddons.com. I think it will work, but I haven't received it yet:

https://www.misteraddons.com/product/mi ... -heatsink/
IMG_9184.jpg
Note that a fan without heatsink is pretty much useless.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by rsn8887 on Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by Sorgelig »

rsn8887 wrote:
Wiedo wrote:
I have used my Mister for over a week without fan or heatsink, without glitches. But I guess it is better to use some cooling solution.

I just installed a heatsink from Amazon today, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01JB8MQ76/

51TJOt88gqL.jpg

And I ordered this PCB fan solution from misteraddons.com. I think it will work, but I haven't received it yet:

IMG_9184.jpg
Why not buy an empty I/O board? It can work as a FAN holder at first. May be later you will decide to populate. For example add FAN connector, then may be audio output.. and so on..
rsn8887
Atari User
Atari User

Post by rsn8887 »

Sorgelig wrote:
rsn8887 wrote:
Wiedo wrote:
(...)
(...)
Why not buy an empty I/O board? It can work as a FAN holder at first. May be later you will decide to populate. For example add FAN connector, then may be audio output.. and so on..
I didn't think of that. Yes, I should have done that.
Wiedo
Atarian
Atarian

Post by Wiedo »

rsn8887 wrote:
Wiedo wrote:
I have used my Mister for over a week without fan or heatsink, without glitches. But I guess it is better to use some cooling solution, especially since I just put it in a case with very small ventilation slots.

51TJOt88gqL.jpg

IMG_9184.jpg

Note that a fan without heatsink is pretty much useless.
Thanks for the advice everyone. I only ordered an heatsink like that. I think modifying the top plate will be my way to go until I order an IO board (if ever). Maybe I’ll try to wing it with an heatsink only? Or is there any risk damaging it by doing that?
xav2075
Atariator
Atariator

Post by xav2075 »

I have both a fan and heatsink on my DE-10 Nano board. I did a trick of securing the heatsink to the main chip by using blutack to fix the side of the heatsink to the side of the row of GPIO headers which in turn kept it in place on top the main chip with heat transfer paste inbetween the heatsink and main chip. What was a bit weird is that I found using a heatsink alone was not enough to stop errors in the SDRAM test utillity.
rsn8887
Atari User
Atari User

Post by rsn8887 »

Maybe the thing that is getting too hot is the SDRam board then?
xav2075
Atariator
Atariator

Post by xav2075 »

I would guess a 32MB - 128MB SDRAM memory chip would not get hot. I mean I don't remember ever seeing a heatsink on such a SDRAM memory chip. If I am wrong then someone correct me. I had not used my DE10-Nano board in months until a few hours ago. The main chip warms up quickly with just a heatsink cooling it. There is a lot packed into that one System On a Chip - a dual core ARM CPU, the FPGA core and lots of other stuff.

Return to “MiSTer”