Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

redsteakraw
Atari freak
Atari freak

Re: MiSTer NES Core

Post by redsteakraw »

reflex wrote:
BitsNStuff wrote:
sofakng wrote:Any chance of save states being added to this core or hardware created to allow real cartridges to be used?
I'm not a developer but the message has been pretty clear all along that real cartridges are not really part of the remit of this project.
Save States aren't simple to achieve in hardware and could well need the core to be complete restarted so although it may not be impossible, the level of work needed on something that is already a fantastic core seems to make it very unlikely.
As I understand it they aren't, although one of the independent hardware devs recently hinted that they may be developing one on Twitter. Not clear how that would work, or if 40 pins would even be enough. Personally if it were done I'd hope they did it via USB rather than direct interface.
Well if done by USB it would basically just dump the rom to the RAM much like the Hyperkin products just substituting a real FPGA core instead of the emulation that hyperkin uses. Where this will break down is when special chips such as sound chips or special mappers, without a direct interaction with the cart you will lose functionality unless they are plain roms.
Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by Sorgelig »

With cartridge support it's better to buy an Analogue NT targeted exactly for cartridge use.
MiSTer logic is different. It includes a cartridge emulation, and for multi-core system this is the only way to go. Different systems used different cartridges and it's impossible to support carts from all emulated consoles.
So MiSTer definitely is NOT going to support real cartridges. Although i'm not excluding some single-core hw desings based on MiSTer - but that won't be a part of MiSTer for obvious reason.
groggycarpet
Atarian
Atarian

Mister SNAC- NES Core

Post by groggycarpet »

When using SNAC adapter input into the I/O board, the A button on the oem nes controller is the sart button and no ther buttons are responding.
Has anyone else had this issue? Any help is appreciated! :shrug:
Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by Sorgelig »

offtopic has been removed.
cbo2188
Retro freak
Retro freak

Post by cbo2188 »

Hi. I was noticing popping noises while using the NES core. Pretty noticeable for me playing Zelda. Could this be a sign of bad RAM? I tried a different hdmi cable with no luck. Thanks!
Peredonov
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Post by Peredonov »

cbo2188 wrote:Hi. I was noticing popping noises while using the NES core. Pretty noticeable for me playing Zelda. Could this be a sign of bad RAM? I tried a different hdmi cable with no luck. Thanks!
Have you tried changing the vsync_adjust setting? That would be the first thing I'd try.
cbo2188
Retro freak
Retro freak

Post by cbo2188 »

Peredonov wrote:
cbo2188 wrote:Hi. I was noticing popping noises while using the NES core. Pretty noticeable for me playing Zelda. Could this be a sign of bad RAM? I tried a different hdmi cable with no luck. Thanks!
Have you tried changing the vsync_adjust setting? That would be the first thing I'd try.
Thanks. I'll give this a try. I was using vsync = 2.
MysteryM
Atariator
Atariator

Post by MysteryM »

When running this core, I can see that it’s running too quickly. E.g. in double dragon 2 the title music is too quick, and the game plays way to fast. Is this linked to display vsync frequency?
Threepwood
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by Threepwood »

MysteryM wrote:When running this core, I can see that it’s running too quickly. E.g. in double dragon 2 the title music is too quick, and the game plays way to fast. Is this linked to display vsync frequency?
Sounds like you are running a PAL-game. Go into the OSD of the NES-core and change the System Type from NTSC to PAL.
2x MiSTer FPGA: [Official Stormtrooper Case, USB Hub 2.1 with Bridge Board, 128MB SDRAM, ADC, RTC 1.3, I/O v5.5] + [3D printed MiSTer XS Case v2, 128MB SDRAM, I/O v5.6 XL]
MysteryM
Atariator
Atariator

Post by MysteryM »

Threepwood wrote:
MysteryM wrote:When running this core, I can see that it’s running too quickly. E.g. in double dragon 2 the title music is too quick, and the game plays way to fast. Is this linked to display vsync frequency?
Sounds like you are running a PAL-game. Go into the OSD of the NES-core and change the System Type from NTSC to PAL.
Dang it I should have known this. I’d only just recapped and region freed a nes last month. I knew the nes can’t switch frequencies :shrug: Many thanks.
mario64
Retro freak
Retro freak

Post by mario64 »

I attempted to play StarTropics (USA) today and get no sound at all. Additionally, when you press Start to get to the name entry screen you hear a buzzing sound then the screen goes black. It's like the core crashes or something. This is a known good rom which works correctly on real hardware.

Is this game not supported? If not, is there a compatibility list for the NES core?

Thanks
djsquare
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Post by djsquare »

mario64 wrote:I attempted to play StarTropics (USA) today and get no sound at all. Additionally, when you press Start to get to the name entry screen you hear a buzzing sound then the screen goes black. It's like the core crashes or something. This is a known good rom which works correctly on real hardware.

Is this game not supported? If not, is there a compatibility list for the NES core?

Thanks
It is supported. You need to edit the header to "NES 2.0", using NES Header Editor
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mario64
Retro freak
Retro freak

Post by mario64 »

djsquare wrote:
mario64 wrote:I attempted to play StarTropics (USA) today and get no sound at all. Additionally, when you press Start to get to the name entry screen you hear a buzzing sound then the screen goes black. It's like the core crashes or something. This is a known good rom which works correctly on real hardware.

Thanks
It is supported. You need to edit the header to "NES 2.0", using NES Header Editor
Great thank you. Are there other games which need this too? Might as well fix them all while I’m at it
djsquare
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Post by djsquare »

mario64 wrote:
djsquare wrote:

Thanks
Great thank you. Are there other games which need this too? Might as well fix them all while I’m at it
Zoda's Revenge is the only other one that I know of
mario64
Retro freak
Retro freak

Post by mario64 »

djsquare wrote:
mario64 wrote:
djsquare wrote:
Zoda's Revenge is the only other one that I know of
Ok thanks again
kitrinx
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by kitrinx »

mario64 wrote: Great thank you. Are there other games which need this too? Might as well fix them all while I’m at it
I've written a python script to set all headers correctly using NewRisingSun's new database. It will take care of any NES 2.0 issues you have. You can find it here if you are interested: https://github.com/Kitrinx/NES_Header_Repair

Return to “MiSTer”