https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

insanegunnerman
Atarian
Atarian

Cheats on Genesis Core issue.

Post by insanegunnerman »

Hello

When I apply any type of cheats on the Genesis core, the games crash and freeze. Does anyone know a way around this?

Thank you

TempleSidekick
Atarian
Atarian

Re: Genesis Core

Post by TempleSidekick »

Is it just with a specific game? I've found that some games work alright, sometimes the cheats do nothing, other times they crash the game. But this also happens with some software emulators, so I'm not sure what the deal is.

apparentlymart
Atarian
Atarian

Re: Cheats on Genesis Core issue.

Post by apparentlymart »

insanegunnerman wrote:Hello

When I apply any type of cheats on the Genesis core, the games crash and freeze. Does anyone know a way around this?

Thank you
Sadly I don't have a link handy but I recall seeing a report of this in the Genesis core GitHub indicating that it happens only when the core is running without the SDRAM board, using the on-board DDR RAM instead. I believe a fix is merged but not yet included in a release.

I'm still awaiting the parts for my SDRAM board so I can confirm the same issue, but I can't confirm for sure that it works with the SDRAM board installed; I expect that's why others cannot reproduce, though.

insanegunnerman
Atarian
Atarian

I think it boils down to me running a naked board, I am confident when I get the SD Ram it will take care of the issue.

reflex
Atari freak
Atari freak

Post by reflex »

apparentlymart wrote:

Thank you
Sadly I don't have a link handy but I recall seeing a report of this in the Genesis core GitHub indicating that it happens only when the core is running without the SDRAM board, using the on-board DDR RAM instead. I believe a fix is merged but not yet included in a release.

I'm still awaiting the parts for my SDRAM board so I can confirm the same issue, but I can't confirm for sure that it works with the SDRAM board installed; I expect that's why others cannot reproduce, though.
It's listed as a fix in the latest core updates, will test later.

insanegunnerman
Atarian
Atarian

reflex wrote:
apparentlymart wrote:

Thank you

I can confirm the cheats are working as intended with this new core.

reflex
Atari freak
Atari freak

Post by reflex »

insanegunnerman wrote:
reflex wrote:
apparentlymart wrote:

I can confirm the cheats are working as intended with this new core.
Sorry, I spaced out updating this thread, also worked for me.

digitron
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Post by digitron »

Is a Sega Saturn core ever going to happen?

redsteakraw
Atari freak
Atari freak

Post by redsteakraw »

digitron wrote:Is a Sega Saturn core ever going to happen?
Given the Sega Saturn is a complex multi-core system that would require a tone of work unless people work on it or people fund development I don't foresee it happening. I know there is some PlayStation work and a Jaguar core that is around the corner so there are some 32 bit cores being worked on. That being said it is debatable whether there is even enough space on the FPGA for the PlayStation let alone the Saturn. Furthermore the Saturn has a small following outside of Japan so I would be surprised if there was enough interest to entice devs to the massive project.

digitron
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Post by digitron »

redsteakraw wrote:
digitron wrote:Is a Sega Saturn core ever going to happen?
Given the Sega Saturn is a complex multi-core system that would require a tone of work unless people work on it or people fund development I don't foresee it happening. I know there is some PlayStation work and a Jaguar core that is around the corner so there are some 32 bit cores being worked on. That being said it is debatable whether there is even enough space on the FPGA for the PlayStation let alone the Saturn. Furthermore the Saturn has a small following outside of Japan so I would be surprised if there was enough interest to entice devs to the massive project.
Thanks for the info!

Grego2d
Atari freak
Atari freak

Post by Grego2d »

Been doing some investigating into why Sonic 2s music is off tempo with turbo enabled. Turns out Sonic 2 uses the 68000 to produce music, some enterprising hackers took it upon themselves to rewrite the sound driver for the z80:

https://github.com/MainMemory/s2-sound-driver-plus

Running this version of Sonic 2 fixes tempo issues while using turbo and fixes the hang that would occur when entering/exiting bonus stages.

As an aside, both mutant league hockey and general chaos are improved significantly via turbo.

Grego2d
Atari freak
Atari freak

Post by Grego2d »

The previous build of Sonic 2 contains some voice samples when dying/round end, I didn't really appreciate them so I restored the original sound effects. Enjoy.

https://github.com/originalgrego/s2-sound-driver-plus

mario64
Retro freak
Retro freak

Post by mario64 »

Hi all,

Does the game Pier Solar for Genesis work with the enhanced soundtrack CD on MISTer? I'm guessing not since Genesis and Sega CD are separate cores but thought I would ask.

Thank you,
mario64

PikWik
Atariator
Atariator

Post by PikWik »

Grego2d wrote:Been doing some investigating into why Sonic 2s music is off tempo with turbo enabled. Turns out Sonic 2 uses the 68000 to produce music, some enterprising hackers took it upon themselves to rewrite the sound driver for the z80:

https://github.com/MainMemory/s2-sound-driver-plus

Running this version of Sonic 2 fixes tempo issues while using turbo and fixes the hang that would occur when entering/exiting bonus stages.

As an aside, both mutant league hockey and general chaos are improved significantly via turbo.

wow, this is awesome. i was wondering about this as well, and it looks like someone already figured it out!

thanks man

Shaneus
Atariator
Atariator

Post by Shaneus »

Grego2d wrote:As an aside, both mutant league hockey and general chaos are improved significantly via turbo.
I wonder if that's an EA-specific (or general) thing, because all Road Rash titles including Skitchin' are vastly improved with overclocking in MISTer. I'm sure I've seen a list somewhere that shows games improved with overclocking.

Funnily enough, Road Rash on 3DO and PS1 also experience improved framerates when overclocking via emulation.

SerjTargarien
Atarian
Atarian

Post by SerjTargarien »

Hi, first time posting here. The Genesis core is amazing and I've been throughoutly enjoying my time with it, however, I have a very specific problem with one game.

I don't know if this has been brought up before, but in Columns III, in order to play from 3 to 5 players, you have to specifically connect the teamplayer peripheral to the second controller port in the Genesis. That doesn't seem to be an option in the mister core, and I haven't been able to get the multiplayer to work by trying any combination of the Multitap and Swap Joysticks options in the core menu, so I suppose it's not possible for now.

Will this option be implemented in the core in the future? Are there any workarounds I haven't thought of?

Thanks in advance.

ElDoctor
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Post by ElDoctor »

Wish granted by Sorgelig... Just grab latest :)

solo20
Retro freak
Retro freak

Post by solo20 »

using a crt i load the Genesis core and i get a rolling picture my crt should be able to handle the signal nes,snes,neogeo and sega cd work with out problems . is there something i should change in the ini file to get it to work? i am using direct video on a consumer crt tv

trashuncle
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Post by trashuncle »

solo20 wrote:using a crt i load the Genesis core and i get a rolling picture my crt should be able to handle the signal nes,snes,neogeo and sega cd work with out problems . is there something i should change in the ini file to get it to work? i am using direct video on a consumer crt tv
Did you set Composite Sync to 1?

solo20
Retro freak
Retro freak

Post by solo20 »

direct video is on and composite sync on not sure why is not working

Sigismond0
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Post by Sigismond0 »

Are you trying run a PAL game on NTSC? if you're set to auto region, try changing that manually.

solo20
Retro freak
Retro freak

Post by solo20 »

no not trying to run a pal game i got it working testing sonic 3 usa version

thats strange was working befor with out messing with any of these settings

i have it setup like this now i thought it was all auto thanks for the help
region= us
auto region= header
priority= US>JP>EU

Gamepimp
Atari User
Atari User

Post by Gamepimp »

I found the same issue with a US version of Beyond Oasis last night. I am running VGA to a Sony CRT. I have direct video enabled. I do not have composite sync on as I don't seem to have issues with other games/cores when I leave that off. Is it possible the resolution of these games with the rolling screen issue is a little unusual and that's why the TV has issues with them?

SerjTargarien
Atarian
Atarian

Post by SerjTargarien »

ElDoctor wrote:Wish granted by Sorgelig... Just grab latest :)
And I can confirm it works brilliantly.

muteKi
Atarian
Atarian

Post by muteKi »

I was trying out the Wily Wars ROM found on the Genesis Mini and found that it wasn't able to save. It's got an MD5 of 8E860E4F7C7EE5FEBAD9134A56766112, and notably shares its serial number in the ROM with Rockman Megaworld (T-12053). I haven't seen much discussion of whether or not the ROM in question was patched to support SRAM instead of EEPROM saves, which is my best guess -- having done a quick search of how EEPROM checks work for the core, it seems like it should have saves working just like with the Megaworld. I don't know if anyone here knows anything about that.

Return to “MiSTer”