https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

Solarstorm
Atarian
Atarian

Re: USB Hub board

Post by Solarstorm »

Hey guys,
i just found this USB WiFi PCB modules on Ali https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32240202795.html i don't know about Linux drivers, but there are other modules available like this one https://www.arrow.com/en/products/823-1 ... chnologies which apparently has Linux drivers available.
Would that be a good idea to intergrate that on the USB board and get some room on other places?
Probably mostly for aesthetic reasons i guess.

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by Sorgelig »

Solarstorm wrote:Hey guys,
i just found this USB WiFi PCB modules on Ali https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32240202795.html i don't know about Linux drivers, but there are other modules available like this one https://www.arrow.com/en/products/823-1 ... chnologies which apparently has Linux drivers available.
Would that be a good idea to intergrate that on the USB board and get some room on other places?
Probably mostly for aesthetic reasons i guess.
Probably will work as most 11n Realtek WiFi chips.
There is no point to integrate it. It will remove one usb port making the board less universal. There are many WiFi dongles with size of USB plug, so once plugged it doesn't occupy any space outside.

breiztiger
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by breiztiger »

hi

i have buy a usb hub 1.0 but i haven't any cable to connect to the mister ...
mister sorgelig usb hub 1.0.jpg
can someone sell me this kind of cable ?

thanks in advance

ps : i'm in france
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

sajattack
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Post by sajattack »

breiztiger wrote:hi

i have buy a usb hub 1.0 but i haven't any cable to connect to the mister ...mister sorgelig usb hub 1.0.jpg

can someone sell me this kind of cable ?

thanks in advance

ps : i'm in france
Desolder the 4 pin right angle header, cut up a usb cable, and solder it there.

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by Sorgelig »

Those aren't connectors. Those a blades to kill someone :mrgreen:

TobyRieper
Atarian
Atarian

Post by TobyRieper »

I would also like to build this USB add on board (DE-10 is on its way). I am very excited. Upon trying to locate the parts I wasn't able to buy the usb controller that was recommended. I have compared the original and this one and would just like to check wether this would be a suitable replacement. I'm 80% sure it will work.

Texas Instruments TUSB2077APT, USB Controller, 7-Channel, USB 2.0, 3.3 V, 48-Pin LQFP

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/usb-controllers/5458432/

JudgeBeeb
Atarian
Atarian

Post by JudgeBeeb »

First of all, thanks for all of your hard work creating these excellent hardware add-ons. This is a superb project which I have only recently discovered. I am now busy building add-on boards.

As for the USB Hub, I am still confused as to the difference between R1 and R1a. When would you solder R1a instead of R1?

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by Sorgelig »

JudgeBeeb wrote: As for the USB Hub, I am still confused as to the difference between R1 and R1a. When would you solder R1a instead of R1?
depending if you want the hub to sense the upstream power or not. If unsure then solder what is shown by default on circuit.

JudgeBeeb
Atarian
Atarian

Post by JudgeBeeb »

Sorgelig wrote:
JudgeBeeb wrote: As for the USB Hub, I am still confused as to the difference between R1 and R1a. When would you solder R1a instead of R1?
depending if you want the hub to sense the upstream power or not. If unsure then solder what is shown by default on circuit.
Thanks. Had I looked at the schematic and the data sheet more closely, I should have been able to work that out.

witchmaster
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by witchmaster »

Can I simply DIY a cable for the USB hub from a micro USB cable, or does the id/sense pin need to be connected to ground?

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by Sorgelig »

witchmaster wrote:Can I simply DIY a cable for the USB hub from a micro USB cable, or does the id/sense pin need to be connected to ground?
Yes, you can make the cable yourself. ID pin must be connected to ground.

venice1200
Retro freak
Retro freak

Post by venice1200 »

Sorgelig wrote: Yes, you can make the cable yourself. ID pin must be connected to ground.
Do you really need to connect ID to ground on cable side if you use USB Hub Board 2.1?
J2 (& P1) have already the ID Pin connected to ground, or I am wrong?
idpin.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by venice1200 on Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by Sorgelig »

it doesn't matter where you will connect it. de10-nano requires this pin on ground.

venice1200
Retro freak
Retro freak

Post by venice1200 »

Sorgelig wrote:...de10-nano requires this pin on ground.
Understood, Thx.

parski
Retro freak
Retro freak

USB Bracket BOM

Post by parski »

If you look at the releases in the Hardware_MiSTer repository you'll notice that there are quite a few PDFs in there with a schematic and a top/bottom view of the PCB. They've been super handy for me to compile a BOM and I'm super greatful that they are there.

However, there is no PDF for the USB bracket. You might say "hey noob, it's like ONE component, just buy the proper thing and be done with it" and I'd agree but I don't want to get the thing wrong so I'm trying to find out what thing to get.

So the PDFs are generated with Altium Something. I've gathered that Altium is like Autodesk, a software company, and they make PCB related software. I tried using their online viewer to find out what things to get but I got an abstract shape, no clickable reference components or package information or anything. I tried downloading their more advanced software but all I got was a Windows executable I can do nothing with. I tried opening it with gerbview but it's only sligthly better than their online cloud thing. I tried installing KiCad but it won't touch the file.

Does anyone know what things I need to solder to this PCB? Or what program I can use to export this glorious PDF guide? Or maybe you can export the PDF and stick it in the repository? Thanks.

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Re: USB Bracket BOM

Post by Sorgelig »

parski wrote:If you look at the releases in the Hardware_MiSTer repository you'll notice that there are quite a few PDFs in there with a schematic and a top/bottom view of the PCB. They've been super handy for me to compile a BOM and I'm super greatful that they are there.

However, there is no PDF for the USB bracket. You might say "hey noob, it's like ONE component, just buy the proper thing and be done with it" and I'd agree but I don't want to get the thing wrong so I'm trying to find out what thing to get.

So the PDFs are generated with Altium Something. I've gathered that Altium is like Autodesk, a software company, and they make PCB related software. I tried using their online viewer to find out what things to get but I got an abstract shape, no clickable reference components or package information or anything. I tried downloading their more advanced software but all I got was a Windows executable I can do nothing with. I tried opening it with gerbview but it's only sligthly better than their online cloud thing. I tried installing KiCad but it won't touch the file.

Does anyone know what things I need to solder to this PCB? Or what program I can use to export this glorious PDF guide? Or maybe you can export the PDF and stick it in the repository? Thanks.
May be because it's already discussed earlier in this thread with links?

parski
Retro freak
Retro freak

Re: USB Bracket BOM

Post by parski »

Sorgelig wrote:May be because it's already discussed earlier in this thread with links?
That would be in line with the documentation of this project. However, I don't understand the pins at the bottom. I count five on a single row and a sixth one on top:

(Yup, that's gerbview)

However in your image I only see the five used with what looks like a fairly standard pin header:

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by Sorgelig »

D13 is 5V coming from micro USB. It's used in hub primarily for sensing.
D15 is not connected on bracket board.
If you are viewing the gerber then just look at signal layer and you will see connections yourself.
parski wrote:it's like ONE component, just buy the proper thing and be done with it
Exactly. Solder the connector and then all 6 pins from one board to another. I couldn't imagine anyone will need PDF to do this.
parski wrote:However in your image I only see the five used with what looks like a fairly standard pin header:
Images i'm posting in this thread are not always reflecting the final design. USB hub board was updated since that time.

parski
Retro freak
Retro freak

Post by parski »

Sorgelig wrote:Solder the connector and then all 6 pins from one board to another.
What do you think about using a female header on the USB hub and male pins on the L-bracket?
Rather than soldering the bracket to the board.

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by Sorgelig »

I suggest to solder. It's not the thing you really need to detach once soldered.
Also it may loose contact after some time. Bending force isn't good for connector.

darcoza
Atarian
Atarian

Post by darcoza »

What is the purpose of the VBUS control optional portion of the PCB? I'm trying to decide if it's important to find and place those extra parts or not and I'm not sure what effect they have on your actual usage.

The two power USB ports are there as an option instead of the barrel jack, is that right? so if I planned to power with a barrel jack they would also be unnecessary?

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by Sorgelig »

darcoza wrote:What is the purpose of the VBUS control optional portion of the PCB? I'm trying to decide if it's important to find and place those extra parts or not and I'm not sure what effect they have on your actual usage.

The two power USB ports are there as an option instead of the barrel jack, is that right? so if I planned to power with a barrel jack they would also be unnecessary?
VBUS control turns off the power from USB devices. Mostly it happens during restart of MiSTer which helps some revice properly reinitialize.
Two power-only ports can be used either to feed the power to USB HUB/MiSTer and take power to some dummy device like USB power speaker of Wii LED bar.

Return to “MiSTer”