C64 Core

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

jca
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Re: C64 Core

Post by jca »

I have a dumb question and as there is no such thing as a dumb question I will ask:
Why the core does not support translation of keyboard keys to the codes expected by the C64?

djsquare
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Post by djsquare »

jca wrote:I have a dumb question and as there is no such thing as a dumb question I will ask:
Why the core does not support translation of keyboard keys to the codes expected by the C64?
If I'm understanding you correctly, that would be really weird. So if press "shift 2" I would get a @ and not a " ? I guess I'm just used to the original lay out.

If you wanted to, you could buy something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/COMMODORE-NON-TR ... B003BOUNSQ

jca

Post by jca »

djsquare wrote:
jca wrote:I have a dumb question and as there is no such thing as a dumb question I will ask:
If I'm understanding you correctly, that would be really weird. So if press "shift 2" I would get a @ and not a " ? I guess I'm just used to the original lay out.

Why would it be weird? If the keyboard says Shift+2 = @ that is what is showing on the keyboard.
Why do I have to type LOAD @[@ ... when the keyboard has the " and * keys? It is a lot less complicated to just type LOAD "*", isn't it?

djsquare
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Post by djsquare »

jca wrote:
djsquare wrote:

Why would it be weird? If the keyboard says Shift+2 = @ that is what is showing on the keyboard.
Why do I have to type LOAD @[@ ... when the keyboard has the " and * keys? It is a lot less complicated to just type LOAD "*", isn't it?
I suppose it's weird to me because of memory muscle with the original layout. I prefer to keep the original keys where they are on the keyboard. Who knows, maybe someday the feature that you want can be implemented at some point

breiztiger
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by breiztiger »

hi

https://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=85256

report a buggy 1541 firmware ?!?

macle
Atariator
Atariator

Post by macle »

Hello,

Could you recommend disk image of good “SID player” with selection of best SID tracks (suitable to use with MiSTer)?

I never had c64 personally thus I don’t know any tools and packages.

Something like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rj7XtnmsVVk

Greetings,
M

sajattack
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Post by sajattack »

That sid player is sidplay64 https://csdb.dk/release/?id=161475
In terms of sid collections, the two most popular I know of are HVSC and EC64SC, both of which are too big to fit on a single D64. You might be able to fit EC64SC on 2 or 3 D64s but there are no ready made images like this.

sajattack
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Post by sajattack »

I split EC64SC into 8 D64s which you can find here https://nextcloud.paulsajna.com/index.p ... ycFZkkENgq

macle
Atariator
Atariator

Post by macle »

sajattack wrote:I split EC64SC into 8 D64s which you can find here https://nextcloud.paulsajna.com/index.p ... ycFZkkENgq
I dowloaded your EC64SC disks and sidplay64 as well.
I launched player and successfully played tunes from EC64SC too :D
Thank you!

There are few options in sidplay64 after initial launch:

Code: Select all

DO YOU HAVE A 2ND SID? (I choose: Y)
ADDRESS: $D420
SKIP SIDS WITH PLAY ADRESS $0000: (I choose ENTER -> No)
DISABLE SONGLENGTHS FOR MODDED SIDS: (I choose ENTER -> No)
Music is played via these setting but I want to have best possible experience on C64 CORE.
Are they correct?

My settings in my MiSTer C64 CORE (defaults):

Code: Select all

SID left: 6581
SID right: 6581
SID right addr: same
Audio filter: On
Sound expander: No
Stereo mix: none
Greetings,
M

sajattack
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Post by sajattack »

Setting SKIP SIDS WITH PLAY ADRESS $0000 to Y will prevent some crashes. Also, you should match your sid addresses between sidplay and MiSTer. Right now you are just telling it to play the same thing on both.

Darfpga

Post by Darfpga »

Yet another question about keyboard!

As far as I understand there is a kbd_vid_pid_...map file that should keep track of mapping but in MiSTer menu it is written that mapping will be lost when loading new core. And yes mapping is lost when loading new core.

I'd like to use French keyboard with computers cores. What is a good way to do it ? Is there a way to configure it from the Linux side of MiSTer ?

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by Sorgelig »

Darfpga wrote:Yet another question about keyboard!

As far as I understand there is a kbd_vid_pid_...map file that should keep track of mapping but in MiSTer menu it is written that mapping will be lost when loading new core. And yes mapping is lost when loading new core.

I'd like to use French keyboard with computers cores. What is a good way to do it ? Is there a way to configure it from the Linux side of MiSTer ?
This is not easy to fix. For simple keys swap like A<->Z, you can use keyboard remap feature in Menu core. Settings there will be remembered in kbd_vid_pid...map. Key you remap will be remapped in both shifted and non-shifted states.
Probably this will be enough for you.

Darfpga

Post by Darfpga »

Sorgelig wrote:Key you remap will be remapped in both shifted and non-shifted states.
I understand very well that this is a complex problem. That's why I thought that kbd configuration at regular Linux level would have help for most of the keys. But maybe key stroke are directly transmit to core without being sent to 'regular' Linux translation.
Sorgelig wrote:For simple keys swap like A<->Z, you can use keyboard remap feature in Menu core. Settings there will be remembered in kbd_vid_pid...map
This is useful, but since there is many keys to remap it should be reminded after core load and power off. Don't know why this is not the case?

When I added D64 SD read/write capability to FPGA64 (~2014-2016) I also wrote a specific kbd translation for French keyboard. I am wondering if it should be redo now ? I know that the method is problematic since it is embed in the core and thus is not available for other langage nor other cores. (that's why I thought that the Linux configuration side could be far more versatile. But I am not confortable at all with Linux stuff).

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by Sorgelig »

Darfpga wrote:I understand very well that this is a complex problem. That's why I thought that kbd configuration at regular Linux level would have help for most of the keys. But maybe key stroke are directly transmit to core without being sent to 'regular' Linux translation.
language translation is done on higher level than MiSTer reads. MiSTer reads raw key codes. So every key has the same code regardless the shift state. Shift key has its own key code.
But even if somehow add a shifted remap independently, it will produce a mess. Imagine you play on keyboard in computer core where shift key is used for fire - every time you press the fire in game your other buttons will change the positions because different mapping. So to avoid such mess, the key is remapped as a whole. Also different mapping for shifted keys may produce sticky keys which will degrade the experience.
Darfpga wrote:This is useful, but since there is many keys to remap it should be reminded after core load and power off. Don't know why this is not the case?
it does, of course. Probably you doing it in wrong place. You remap it in C64 code in option "Remap keys for a game"? this is wrong!
You have to reboot into MENU core. It's startup MiSTer core. And there you can remap the keys. It will be remapped for all cores and will be remembered in map file.
Darfpga wrote: I know that the method is problematic since it is embed in the core and thus is not available for other langage nor other cores. (that's why I thought that the Linux configuration side could be far more versatile. But I am not confortable at all with Linux stuff).
i suggest not to do this inside the core. It won't help people using German layout or Swedish. Remap should work. Just try what i've wrote above.
Ideally would be good to buy an US international keyboard...

Darfpga

Post by Darfpga »

Sorgelig wrote:But even if somehow add a shifted remap independently, it will produce a mess.
I agree.
Sorgelig wrote:Probably you doing it in wrong place. You remap it in C64 code in option "Remap keys for a game"? this is wrong!
You have to reboot into MENU core. It's startup MiSTer core. And there you can remap the keys. It will be remapped for all cores and will be remembered in map file.
OK. Sorry, I was focused only on the keyboard section of wiki which is not so clear about the MENU core. Joystick section mention it more clearly.
Sorgelig wrote:i suggest not to do this inside the core. It won't help people using German layout or Swedish. Remap should work. Just try what i've wrote above.
I agree, but as you said remap cannot help for example for the upper line symbols (~"&()...) since it will mess numbers (123..)
Sorgelig wrote:Ideally would be good to buy an US international keyboard...
I agree, maybe should it be said on the wiki keyboard section for computers cores users.

Thank you for all your explanations.

NML32
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by NML32 »

Fix-it Felix Jr has been released for the C64.
Looks and plays great on the C64, unfortunately, the voice samples don't sound very good on MiSTer compared to real hardware or vice emulator.

MiSTer GamePlay: https://youtu.be/pidru5_BOoU

The ROM can be downloaded here: https://brokenbytes.itch.io/fix-it-felix-jr

Return to “MiSTer”