Minimig (Amiga) core discussion

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

BBond007
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: Minimig (Amiga) core discussion

Post by BBond007 »

amontre wrote:Hello, new minimig user here. Anyone here use minimig with 15khz arcade monitor ? I'm trying figure out how to adjust the horizontal position for the whdload games. I got full screen on workbench (NTSC Hi-Res) but when I load the games there's a gap on left of the screen.
It really depends on the game... Sometimes the screen needs to be positioned further to the right in order to have enough DMA to use sprite #6 and #7.

Chris23235
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by Chris23235 »

ericgus wrote:
Chris23235 wrote:Most Amiga games aren't designed for NTSC.
All the older original ones are .. Defender of the Crown, Test Drive, and many of the classics are too .. etc.. so I guess its your perspective that dictates the answer.. as I live in NTSC land, most of the games I care about/play ARE designed for NTSC, were created on NTSC machines to be played on NTSC machines..
All I said was that MOST Amiga games weren't designed with NTSC machines in mind (and the one the user showed in the post was Zool a PAL game). I didn't say NO Amiga games were designed for NTSC, I said MOST and this is simply true. It doesn't matter if the games you care about where made with NTSC systems in mind, the vast majority of games was designed to run on 50Hz machines. It's simple as that, the number of european Amiga games is bigger than the number of Amiga games from the US, this means most Amiga games where made with PAL machines in mind.

On the Amiga it's different than on the Atari ST where many games from Europe allowed the user to use 60 Hz.

This doesn't mean one system or TV norm is better than the other, it just means, that it is possible that you will run into problem when you run Amiga games from Europe on a NTSC Amiga.

ericgus
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by ericgus »

Chris23235 wrote: you will run into problem when you run Amiga games from Europe on a NTSC Amiga.
And vice versa .. Test Drive is horrible if you accidentally play it in PAL mode, its subject to if the developer put in checks or coded it in a way that makes it less sensitive to the system frequency. (then there are the optical problems like the weird graphic distortions of displaying art (defender of the crown -- as an example again) created on a 4:3 ntsc display but shown on a PAL display, circles become ovals .. or worse ..

apolkosnik
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Post by apolkosnik »

I thought that's what Whdload was for. ;-) Fixing the stupid bugs.
At least for me, one of the reasons for getting de10-nano was the built-in ability to switch between PAL and NTSC to have the best of both worlds.

Chris23235
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by Chris23235 »

ericgus wrote:
Chris23235 wrote: you will run into problem when you run Amiga games from Europe on a NTSC Amiga.
And vice versa .. Test Drive is horrible if you accidentally play it in PAL mode, its subject to if the developer put in checks or coded it in a way that makes it less sensitive to the system frequency. (then there are the optical problems like the weird graphic distortions of displaying art (defender of the crown -- as an example again) created on a 4:3 ntsc display but shown on a PAL display, circles become ovals .. or worse ..
Sure and this was exactly the reason why I said in the first place running games that were designed for a PAL system (most games on the system) on NTSC settings can cause problems. That it's the same the other way around should be clear.

Return to “MiSTer”