Minimig (Amiga) core discussion

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

Mlaurito
Atari User
Atari User

Re: Minimig (Amiga) core discussion

Post by Mlaurito »

Dumped my original A1200 8gb CF image to hdf, loaded it up on Minimig and can't believe my eyes how everything was working instantly with no hassles.

Now output and filter don't look great but I am sure I will fix visuals as soon as I start looking into it (still have to solder the I/O board to be used with OSSC).

I have used different Amiga machines (still owns two) and this is the first time I don't have to fiddle with hardware/caps/mobo revisions/timings, roms and the likes, in order to have an all around working machine.

Chapeau :cheers:
Mlaurito
Atari User
Atari User

Post by Mlaurito »

I like the beta versions I found on the last pages of the thread, it seems they are missing the mapping of the "left" input joystick tho ? I might be missing something obvious
Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by Sorgelig »

Mlaurito wrote:I like the beta versions I found on the last pages of the thread, it seems they are missing the mapping of the "left" input joystick tho ? I might be missing something obvious
i don't get it. How and where exactly it's missing?
There is already new release of Minimig and MiSTer binary.
Lroby74
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by Lroby74 »

Sorgelig wrote:There is already new release of Minimig and MiSTer binary.
I love Gamma Correction function in new Amiga Minimig core, would be possible to add this function to other cores in future too?
Meanwhile i've tried a little this official last release of Minimig and it's working fine , thank you!
foxp4v
Retro freak
Retro freak

Post by foxp4v »

Updated to the final version, a very nice update, the core has improved much, i've tried 2 games that was very problematic, Super Stardust AGA whdload, in past versions the games crashes, now starts but with rendering errors, and Virtual Karting that in past versions was unplayable and with the graphic rendering wrong, now the graphic rendering seems ok but it's still unplayable (the race start and finish very very fast and it stucks on the screen with race over advice), in general seems more stable and with improved compatibility, great work, thank to all the developers.
apolkosnik
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Post by apolkosnik »

retrofun wrote:
apolkosnik wrote:...
REBOOT command in HRTmon just turns the screen red with everything frozen (need to reboot the core when that happens).
Sure it worked before? REBOOT command in HRTmon is broken. I fixed that a while ago...

https://github.com/retrofun/minimig-hrtmon
https://github.com/retrofun/minimig-hrt ... 7_mist.zip
Thank you @retrofun, this one is working much better. Any chance it could be somehow linked or included in the distro, so that it's obvious where to get the best working version? Thanks again!

BTW. Is there any way to toggle the insert mode on/off? It seems like F2 has no effect on my MiSTer.
optiroc
Atariator
Atariator

Post by optiroc »

foxp4v wrote:Super Stardust AGA whdload, in past versions the games crashes, now starts but with rendering errors ...
Super Stardust works properly with the CHIPRAM CACHE option enabled. I’d love to know why it doesn’t work as it should with a “stock config”, but I’m happy that option exists. :)

A few Melon Dezign demos also exhibit bugs/slowdown without that option enabled: Planet M and How 2 Skin a Cat (running in its AGA enhanced mode with much more dots in the tunnel part).
retrofun
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Post by retrofun »

apolkosnik wrote:
retrofun wrote:
apolkosnik wrote:...
REBOOT command in HRTmon just turns the screen red with everything frozen (need to reboot the core when that happens).
Sure it worked before? REBOOT command in HRTmon is broken. I fixed that a while ago...

https://github.com/retrofun/minimig-hrtmon
https://github.com/retrofun/minimig-hrt ... 7_mist.zip
Thank you @retrofun, this one is working much better. Any chance it could be somehow linked or included in the distro, so that it's obvious where to get the best working version? Thanks again!

BTW. Is there any way to toggle the insert mode on/off? It seems like F2 has no effect on my MiSTer.
Easy one: wrong configuration values in MiST/MiSTer firmware.

PR for MiST: https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-firmware/pull/36
PR for MiSTer: https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/pull/131
foxp4v
Retro freak
Retro freak

Post by foxp4v »

optiroc wrote:
foxp4v wrote:Super Stardust AGA whdload, in past versions the games crashes, now starts but with rendering errors ...
Super Stardust works properly with the CHIPRAM CACHE option enabled. I’d love to know why it doesn’t work as it should with a “stock config”, but I’m happy that option exists. :)

A few Melon Dezign demos also exhibit bugs/slowdown without that option enabled: Planet M and How 2 Skin a Cat (running in its AGA enhanced mode with much more dots in the tunnel part).
Can confirm that with that options the graphical issues are solved, but It seems to me that in the intro and in the title screen the sound Is a Little "strange" like if something Is missing, i have ti try with winuae ti compare.
Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by Sorgelig »

optiroc wrote:

68020 has cache (i-cache), so for AGA chipram cache must be enabled. I also suggest to enable d-cache.
optiroc
Atariator
Atariator

Post by optiroc »

Sorgelig wrote:68020 has cache (i-cache), so for AGA chipram cache must be enabled. I also suggest to enable d-cache.
Aha! That explains why all AGA specific games seem to need ChipRAM Cache to run as intended.

Data Cache gives a super impressive speed boost in games with unthrottled frame rate. I just tried Virus and it got what seems like a 2-3x fps increase.

There’s one weird side effect with ChipRAM Cache, however, that only started to appear recently (September perhaps? I can dig up the exact release in a chat log): Certain demos/games get messed up sample playback with it enabled. It’s sounds like the playback pointer jumps ahead erratically. I noticed it first in the intro to Test Drive 2. Before this side effect it was “safe” to always have the “turbos” enabled.

(Awesome action on the Minimig core lately, thanks a lot for the effort!)
Mlaurito
Atari User
Atari User

Post by Mlaurito »

Sorgelig wrote:
Mlaurito wrote:I like the beta versions I found on the last pages of the thread, it seems they are missing the mapping of the "left" input joystick tho ? I might be missing something obvious
Minimig Core wouldn't ask me to map the "left" joystick input in the controller mapping settings (unlike the previous release), will try the latest release as soon as I can :)

Thanks for the great work as usual.
Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by Sorgelig »

weird.. May be your gamepad generates 2 event on one press and thus left quickly pass after right?
JimDrew
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by JimDrew »

Mlaurito wrote:Minimig Core wouldn't ask me to map the "left" joystick input in the controller mapping settings (unlike the previous release), will try the latest release as soon as I can :)
I have had this issue with all versions of all cores. I even sent a game controller with this issue to Sorgelig to look at the issue. Try briefly tapping the LEFT input instead of holding it. I found that certain game pads don't like the input button held during the setup process, but work fine if you just briefly tap the button. It's like there is a debounce issue on the setup. Once you setup the pad it works fine for holding it during game play.
I am the flux ninja
Mlaurito
Atari User
Atari User

Post by Mlaurito »

Not sure what it was guys, but latest version is just terrific, can't wait to have to try the VGA output.
Paradroyd
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by Paradroyd »

Mlaurito wrote:
Sorgelig wrote:
Minimig Core wouldn't ask me to map the "left" joystick input in the controller mapping settings (unlike the previous release), will try the latest release as soon as I can :)

Thanks for the great work as usual.
I'm having the same (or a similar) problem with left mapping on my 2600-daptor II usb to 9 pin adapter. It's worked fine up to the latest release, but now I can't get past mapping "left" with it in any of the cores I've tried.

I also have a 8bitdo sf30 that I use with a bluetooth wireless dongle, and that worked fine.
- Paradroyd
@paradroyd on Twitter, @paradroyd@mastodon.sdf.org on Mastodon
tom5151
Retro freak
Retro freak

Post by tom5151 »

Hello,

I must be stupid but I'm not able to initialize my HDF file.
I've try tried to create HDF file with WinUAE (windows) by selecting RDB mode, and on Mac OSX with mkfile command, but in both cases when I start my MiSTer with AmigaOS 3.1.4 install disk, HDToolBox detects the HDF file, but reading the configuration gives something totally wrong: it detects a HDD with 2286To as capacity !

Any idea ? (I use latest menu / MiSTer / minimig)
Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by Sorgelig »

Make an empty file of required HDF size and initialize it on Minimig.
tom5151
Retro freak
Retro freak

Post by tom5151 »

Sorgelig wrote:Make an empty file of required HDF size and initialize it on Minimig.
I think that's what I did with this command on my mac:
mkfile 512m Hardfile.hdf

Or do I need t to execute another command on windows ?
R4MS
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Post by R4MS »

Detecting the size of the HDF file does not work with OS 3.1.4. I think you have to manually set an odd number of cylinders and max number of sectors and heads (63/4 ?), such that the computed capacity (cyl*sec*heads*512) is below the filesize.
Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by Sorgelig »

R4MS wrote:Detecting the size of the HDF file does not work with OS 3.1.4. I think you have to manually set an odd number of cylinders and max number of sectors and heads (63/4 ?), such that the computed capacity (cyl*sec*heads*512) is below the filesize.
you are right.. under 3.1.4 Read Configuration in HDToolBox doesn't work properly.
Under 3.1 it works fine... Well.. For now probably you need to make initial HDF installation under 3.1. Then partitioning can be done in 3.1.4. At least for now.

Probably its just a matter of some parameters returned from Main. I'm just not aware what parameters need to be changed.

P.S: after more precise check i see 3.1.4 doesn't read number of cylinders. Other parameters are OK. I need to find IDE datasheet.
tom5151
Retro freak
Retro freak

Post by tom5151 »

Sorgelig wrote:
R4MS wrote:Detecting the size of the HDF file does not work with OS 3.1.4. I think you have to manually set an odd number of cylinders and max number of sectors and heads (63/4 ?), such that the computed capacity (cyl*sec*heads*512) is below the filesize.
you are right.. under 3.1.4 Read Configuration in HDToolBox doesn't work properly.
Under 3.1 it works fine... Well.. For now probably you need to make initial HDF installation under 3.1. Then partitioning can be done in 3.1.4. At least for now.

Probably its just a matter of some parameters returned from Main. I'm just not aware what parameters need to be changed.

P.S: after more precise check i see 3.1.4 doesn't read number of cylinders. Other parameters are OK. I need to find IDE datasheet.
Thanks for your fast reply.
Indeed, I've just try to read configuration of my 512mb HDF file, and it works.
Unfortunately, I've made a 3999mb HDF file and it doesn't work, it detects -97Meg :(
What is the max HDF size allowed on 3.1 ?

I hope you'll find a way to make it work on 3.1.4 so we will able to create bigger HDF files :)
Xnyle
Atarian
Atarian

Post by Xnyle »

First of all: great core, my OS3.9 copied from a real A1200 ran instantly without any problems (after I figured out how to adjust the screen layout properly for HD720 modes).

I have a few questions though:

Is the markdown in the wiki all that's there in terms of documentation or am I missing a source?
(I'm especially interested in documentation about bdsocket.library, my hdf dump already contains everything needed so that network is working on WinUAE & real HW with prism2 device, but I have forgotten how I set all that up 3 years ago ;-)

Is there more to configure than the few items in the OSD (F12) menu?

When selecting the minimig core from the menu the screen turns black for 30 seconds before Workbench shows up (~5sec on real HW). resolution stays at 377x287 for that time, only after 30 sec resolution changes to 720p and Workbench starts to load up. Is this normal?
What's is it doing in this time / how to debug what's going on (maybe just waiting for another disk/partition that is not there)?

Sysinfo tells my 12k Dhrystones which is way more than the 9k on real HW with ACA1233n, but disk I/O is only 0,8k compared to 2,5k on real HW (with IDE/CF/SD adapter chain) I guess this is why everything feels a bit sluggish when opening folders/programs. Maybe this is also the cause for the rather long boot time?
Is the anything to speed up I/O?
Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by Sorgelig »

You need to enable Cache for ChipRAM and Kickstart. Then HDD access will be 1.6MB/s. Loading will be much faster too.
But HDD access speed also depends on SD card speed.
Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by Sorgelig »

tom5151 wrote:Indeed, I've just try to read configuration of my 512mb HDF file, and it works.
Unfortunately, I've made a 3999mb HDF file and it doesn't work, it detects -97Meg :(
What is the max HDF size allowed on 3.1 ?

I hope you'll find a way to make it work on 3.1.4 so we will able to create bigger HDF files
don't look at -97Meg - it's just meaningless visual bug in WB3.1. CHS parameters are OK. So you can use WB3.1 for initialization of empty HDF. Then switch to 3.1.4 for partitioning. No problem to do this with 16GB HDF for example.

I need some one who can analyze HDToolBox code form 3.1.4 and tell me which offset is used to get cylinders. Then i will fix the problem.

Return to “MiSTer”