mister core doesn't work with same config as your real 500

perhaps another issue with ram access
Threepwood
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: Minimig (Amiga) core discussion

Post by Threepwood »

breiztiger wrote:mister core doesn't work with same config as your real 500
That is not quite true. As I wrote, it works as well when you have 512k Chip (standard early A500/A2000) + 2MB Fast RAM. 2MB is the minimum you can set in MiSTer, but I assume it would work with 512k Fast, too.

Keep in mind that later A500 and A2000 had 1MB Chip, with which the Demo works fine. The demo group maybe just built this on or for later Amiga 500 revisions. Sadly there are no clear spec requirements listed.
2x MiSTer FPGA: [Official Stormtrooper Case, USB Hub 2.1 with Bridge Board, 128MB SDRAM, ADC, RTC 1.3, I/O v5.5] + [3D printed MiSTer XS Case v2, 128MB SDRAM, I/O v5.6 XL]
BBond007
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by BBond007 »

I seem to have lost the "UART mode" OSD option with the last update...

Has anyone else have that issue?

Thanks!
zomgugoff
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Post by zomgugoff »

BBond007 wrote:I seem to have lost the "UART mode" OSD option with the last update...

Has anyone else have that issue?

Thanks!
I can confirm, the option is missing on v200421
retrofun
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Post by retrofun »

Threepwood wrote:...
Keep in mind that later A500 and A2000 had 1MB Chip, with which the Demo works fine. The demo group maybe just built this on or for later Amiga 500 revisions. Sadly there are no clear spec requirements listed.
file_id.diz says:
Chillobits - by Offence in 2020 (The lost year)

For Amiga 500 with 512K Chip + 512K Fast.
Won't really work on anything else, sorry!
Threepwood
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by Threepwood »

retrofun wrote: file_id.diz says:
Chillobits - by Offence in 2020 (The lost year)

For Amiga 500 with 512K Chip + 512K Fast.
Won't really work on anything else, sorry!
Thanks for the hint, I wasn't aware of the file. Then there is really nothing wrong with MiSTer or the demo, breiztiger's config was just not correct.
2x MiSTer FPGA: [Official Stormtrooper Case, USB Hub 2.1 with Bridge Board, 128MB SDRAM, ADC, RTC 1.3, I/O v5.5] + [3D printed MiSTer XS Case v2, 128MB SDRAM, I/O v5.6 XL]
breiztiger
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by breiztiger »

sorry but just retry

on mister a500 512ko + 2mo fast i got a black screen also with fix adf

the same config work great on mist

edit : after some reset it works for the first time

i really think of memory probs ...

perhaps sorgelig can make like atari more stock size for fast mem like 512ko and 1mo :cheers:
Threepwood
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by Threepwood »

breiztiger wrote:sorry but just retry

on mister a500 512ko + 2mo fast i got a black screen also with fix adf

the same config work great on mist

edit : after some reset it works for the first time

i really think of memory probs ...

perhaps sorgelig can make like atari more stock size for fast mem like 512ko and 1mo :cheers:
Now I am getting the same issues you have (latest minimig build). Black screen or hang on the blue AmigaDOS screen when using 512k chip + 2MB fast. It only works with 1MB Chip and 512k Slow now.

You are right, there is probably something off with the memory.
Chris23235
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by Chris23235 »

Same here, doesn't work anymore. It worked in the last version, the core update or the main updates in the last days seem to have broken it.
LamerDeluxe

Post by LamerDeluxe »

Like I mentioned before I had it working perfectly with 512K chip plus 512 slow. Using Amiga Forever kickstart ROMs and the demo downloaded from Pouet.
PhantombrainM
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by PhantombrainM »

I discovered a strange problem last night, which I was able to narrow down further after deleting all my configs, since the problem was gone at first.

If you have loaded Kickstart 1.2 or 1.3, i.e. the normal Amiga 500, and then the Workbench is displayed, the letters and characters are totally pixelated when you switch on scanlines at Audio & Video. This has nothing to do with the sclaling itself, because I had also temporarily deactivated it.

Interestingly, the character set looks quite normal with Kickstart 2 and 3. Here the scanlines have no effect. :shrug:
This has never been the case before, but I haven't played Amiga for a long time and therefore I can't say when the problem started.

I can make a video or photos later if desired. And then I'd like to check and see if I can narrow that down further. To a specific core or the MISTer main file. Well, let's see... :coffe:
Two beer or not two beer? - Shakesbeer.
Threepwood
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by Threepwood »

PhantombrainM wrote:If you have loaded Kickstart 1.2 or 1.3, i.e. the normal Amiga 500, and then the Workbench is displayed, the letters and characters are totally pixelated when you switch on scanlines at Audio & Video. This has nothing to do with the sclaling itself, because I had also temporarily deactivated it.

Interestingly, the character set looks quite normal with Kickstart 2 and 3. Here the scanlines have no effect. :shrug:
This has never been the case before, but I haven't played Amiga for a long time and therefore I can't say when the problem started.
I can confirm what you describe. A standard Amiga 500 config (kick 1.3) with Workbench 1.3 has messed up fonts when using the scandoubler FX "CRT 25%" etc. while an Amiga 1200, kick 3.1, Workbench 3.1 does not have the same issue.
javidoom

Amiga Core with OSSC.

Post by javidoom »

Hi all!

I'm having some trouble making the Amiga core to work with my OSSC (fw 0.85a).

Many times, when I start the core, my OSSC loses the sync and I have to turn it off and on many times, until it gets sync and works.

I've taken some pics, it would be awesome if anyone can help me to know what's going on, and if there is any option I can toggle or adjust to make it work properly.

Thanks!!!

Image OSSC with core selection menu, no problems here:

Image OSSC with C64 core, no problems here too :)

Image OSSC with Amiga core, synced and showing image on TV, but there is stutters (as shown in a video below):

Video of my OSSC when the Amiga core is loaded (there is no image on tv):

https://youtu.be/f2q7nTM0VpA

Video of my OSSC, turning it off and on, until it syncs and gets image on the TV
Sometimes I have to turn off and on 3, 4... 5 times until it works:

http://youtu.be/wlThtKyFcec

Video of my OSSC for Amiga core with sttuter (1,7 sec aprox). (It's a slowmotion video to catch better the stutter):
See sec: 2, 9, 16, 23.

http://youtu.be/F6tBjrxB_Sw

Any help would be appreciated :)

Thanks!

EDIT:

I've tried in my MIST too, and it has the exact same behaviour:

https://youtu.be/lxQ7TK71h6M

Chris23235
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: Amiga Core with OSSC.

Post by Chris23235 »

Do you try to run the Amiga in PAL or NTSC? The stutter looks like you are displaying the PAL Amiga on a 60Hz Display.
paulbnl
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by paulbnl »

javidoom wrote:Hi all!

Many times, when I start the core, my OSSC loses the sync and I have to turn it off and on many times, until it gets sync and works.
This is because the Vsync is wrong compared to a real Amiga.

I still have to test a fix I have for that.
mambrino
Atari freak
Atari freak

Post by mambrino »

javidoom wrote:Hi all!

I've taken some pics, it would be awesome if anyone can help me to know what's going on, and if there is any option I can toggle or adjust to make it work properly.
I have this problem too, mister connected to my ossc & tv (panasonic viera) and sometimes when core boots ossc doesn't display anything and get stuck trying to sync. I have to turn off several times (sometimes it works with a core reset). This doesn't happen to me with other cores, even with commodore 64 that I also use in pal too.

In addition, I also notice that scrolls in pal mode are butter smooth but every few seconds (aprox. every 6-7 secs.) there is a stutter.

I have tried in ntsc and it doesn't have this problem, but of course, the vast majority of amiga games are pal.

I have also tried with pc monitor and it works perfectly too, both in pal and ntsc modes.
javidoom

Post by javidoom »

paulbnl wrote:
This is because the Vsync is wrong compared to a real Amiga.

That's awesome!!!

I've also tried my Minimig fpga and it shows:

Thanks!
optiroc
Atariator
Atariator

Post by optiroc »

paulbnl wrote:This is because the Vsync is wrong compared to a real Amiga.

That would be greatly appreciated!
retrorepair
Atari freak
Atari freak

Post by retrorepair »

Does anyone know where in the code a valid step pulse exists? I'm starting to think one doesn't exist.
apolkosnik
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Post by apolkosnik »

retrorepair wrote:Does anyone know where in the code a valid step pulse exists? I'm starting to think one doesn't exist.
Do you mean something derived from 50/60Hz on the mains? Nope, the PSU feeds only DC to the A500.
retrorepair
Atari freak
Atari freak

Post by retrorepair »

apolkosnik wrote:
retrorepair wrote:Does anyone know where in the code a valid step pulse exists? I'm starting to think one doesn't exist.
Do you mean something derived from 50/60Hz on the mains? Nope, the PSU feeds only DC to the A500.
Sorry no I mean the signal sent to the floppy disk to increment the head. All of the signals I've found are 30-100us and a step pulse needs to be 1ms minimum.

I'm probably missing something but I wondernif it's fudged as no one ever expected a floppy drive to be connected.

I should add I'm not intending to connect a floppy drive to try and read/write a disk, I just want to send motor signals over USER_IO for audible effect.

The other signals seem usable, just step doesn't look right.

*EDIT* Seems like I have to construct my own step pulse, should be fun :)
apolkosnik
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Post by apolkosnik »

retrorepair wrote: Sorry no I mean the signal sent to the floppy disk to increment the head. All of the signals I've found are 30-100us and a step pulse needs to be 1ms minimum.

I'm probably missing something but I wondernif it's fudged as no one ever expected a floppy drive to be connected.

I should add I'm not intending to connect a floppy drive to try and read/write a disk, I just want to send motor signals over USER_IO for audible effect.

Ok, you want to be able to run the demos that play music on the floppy drive. The next step, could be an overlay showing the track number :-)
retrorepair
Atari freak
Atari freak

Post by retrorepair »

apolkosnik wrote:
retrorepair wrote: Sorry no I mean the signal sent to the floppy disk to increment the head. All of the signals I've found are 30-100us and a step pulse needs to be 1ms minimum.

Ok, you want to be able to run the demos that play music on the floppy drive. The next step, could be an overlay showing the track number :-)
That could quite easily be done now, I may do later.

One thing I have noticed is the drive access LED is currently represented by DMA which isn't correct. I'm not sure why this choice was made, it should coincide with ~motor_on. Maybe to give more of an idea of drive access without an audio cue?
Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by Sorgelig »

retrorepair wrote:One thing I have noticed is the drive access LED is currently represented by DMA which isn't correct. I'm not sure why this choice was made, it should coincide with ~motor_on. Maybe to give more of an idea of drive access without an audio cue?
Motor is too laggy/slow signal. DMA gives more live notification.
Threepwood
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by Threepwood »

With the update from half an hour ago Minimig stopped working for me entirely, no matter the vsync_adjust, resolution or region setting, as well as Amiga config (A500 or A1200). I confirmed that the updated core was downloaded correctly by comparing checksums of the core file on my MiSTer and the core downloaded directly from the release folder on github.

Everything was working before and my Monitor can handle vsync_adjust=2

EDIT: By "entirely" I mean, that the screen is black and I can open the OSD, but when I load a different config, then I cannot even open the OSD anymore.

EDIT2: Same with my secondary MiSTer attached to my TV that can handle vsync_adjust=2 as well (tried 0 and 2)

Return to “MiSTer”