Minimig (Amiga) core discussion

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Re: Minimig (Amiga) core discussion

Post by Sorgelig »

Action Replay is not a simple ROM. It's also special hardware.
You cannot compile it because it's not implemented.

HRTMon is not inside the core. You need to provide hrtmon.rom
comatron
Atariator
Atariator

Post by comatron »

okay, thanx for the info. ill try hrtmon.rom then. on my amiga 500 i use the ACA500+ by individual computers. with that device i can i can simply chose between HRTmon and AR3 on the real harware and it´s done by software (i guess). so i thought that might work but i was wrong. thanx for the good work sorgelig. your´re awesome.
BlockABoots
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Post by BlockABoots »

BBond007 wrote:
BlockABoots wrote:I take it tinylauncher cant be used with the Mitser though?
Why would you think that? TinlyLauncher works fine with MiSTer.

Also the latest changes to the MiSTer menu adds "Floppy disk turbo : on / off".

I don't know if the feature works yet, but the menu option is there at least.

I know the original Minimig 1.1 has that option for a long time...
Ah i think im out of my depth on the Amiga core, id just like to select a disk or harddisk image in this case and have the core load it, rather than having to use a mouse to navigate the desktop on an OS....i know thats of massive appeal to some having the OS and all but i just want to select a game and play it. Is it even possible to have whdload version of a game appear in your games folder and select it just like the console cores??
BBond007
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by BBond007 »

BlockABoots wrote: Ah i think im out of my depth on the Amiga core, id just like to select a disk or harddisk image in this case and have the core load it, rather than having to use a mouse to navigate the desktop on an OS....i know thats of massive appeal to some having the OS and all but i just want to select a game and play it. Is it even possible to have whdload version of a game appear in your games folder and select it just like the console cores??
You could put every single whdload game in its own bootable HDF which loads the game from startup-sequence, but would be tedious to set up and waste a lot of space with redundant workbench and kickstarts for every game. I really think its a terrible idea which defeats the purpose of whdload - but possible.

The Amiga is a Computer (not a game console) and as such much of the software/games are going assume that you have a mouse and/or keyboard attached - ADFs and whdload the same. ADFs are probably even worse because many of the cracktros won't proceed unless you press [space] or left-mouse.

That being said, I have made a demo of TinyLauncher running where I start Batman the movie using just my controller --> https://youtu.be/O5tFyqzf1OE

I do press [DEL] to exit back to Tinylauncher but the exit key is configured(in whdload) a PER-GAME basis by editing the 'QUITKEY' tooltype for the icon. You can set this to anything you like (including controller buttons) as defined here --> http://whdload.de/docs/en/rawkey.html (obviously requires navigating the desktop)

You could also just reset the core.

If you simply don't want to see the desktop at all, you could comment out "LoadWB" from s:startup-sequence (assuming you have added TinyLauncher) but that makes it mode difficult to edit whdload per-game tooltype options like QUITKEY or NTSC/PAL and it really won't speed up the boot time that much.

Hope that helps...
comatron
Atariator
Atariator

Post by comatron »

Sorgelig wrote:Action Replay is not a simple ROM. It's also special hardware.
You cannot compile it because it's not implemented.

HRTMon is not inside the core. You need to provide hrtmon.rom

i now tried a ton of hrtmon.roms - only one does do something - but not the right thing. it looks like this:
IMG_20181220_053756.jpg
anyone an idea for me? greetz
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by Sorgelig »

20181220_135333.jpg
Probably your TV is not universal enough to handle this TV signal.
Also note that official TV output on MiSTer is HDMI, not VGA. VGA is mostly for debug and not supposed to have standard and well formed video. If it works for you - OK. if VGA doesn't work well - it won't be fixed.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BlockABoots

Post by BlockABoots »

BBond007 wrote:
BlockABoots wrote: Ah i think im out of my depth on the Amiga core, id just like to select a disk or harddisk image in this case and have the core load it, rather than having to use a mouse to navigate the desktop on an OS....i know thats of massive appeal to some having the OS and all but i just want to select a game and play it. Is it even possible to have whdload version of a game appear in your games folder and select it just like the console cores??
You could put every single whdload game in its own bootable HDF which loads the game from startup-sequence, but would be tedious to set up and waste a lot of space with redundant workbench and kickstarts for every game. I really think its a terrible idea which defeats the purpose of whdload - but possible.

The Amiga is a Computer (not a game console) and as such much of the software/games are going assume that you have a mouse and/or keyboard attached - ADFs and whdload the same. ADFs are probably even worse because many of the cracktros won't proceed unless you press [space] or left-mouse.

That being said, I have made a demo of TinyLauncher running where I start Batman the movie using just my controller --> https://youtu.be/O5tFyqzf1OE

I do press [DEL] to exit back to Tinylauncher but the exit key is configured(in whdload) a PER-GAME basis by editing the 'QUITKEY' tooltype for the icon. You can set this to anything you like (including controller buttons) as defined here --> http://whdload.de/docs/en/rawkey.html (obviously requires navigating the desktop)

You could also just reset the core.

If you simply don't want to see the desktop at all, you could comment out "LoadWB" from s:startup-sequence (assuming you have added TinyLauncher) but that makes it mode difficult to edit whdload per-game tooltype options like QUITKEY or NTSC/PAL and it really won't speed up the boot time that much.

Hope that helps...
thanks for that, yeah tinylauncher sounds like the way to go.

Also what was up with the audio in your video sounds sped up?
BBond007
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by BBond007 »

BlockABoots wrote:[quote="BBond007"
Also what was up with the audio in your video sounds sped up?
Probably the game needs to run in PAL and I booted in NTSC. Whdload supports switching into PAL/NTSC but it has to be set per-game in the icon's tool type.
BlockABoots

Post by BlockABoots »

Can someone explain how to get tinylauncher to work in Minimig?, where do i need to place tinylauncher on the SD card and what files need to be edited etc?. Have tried to look for a guide but can seem to find one that related to using tinylauncher with Minimig on MiSTer!
DanyPPC
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by DanyPPC »

TinyLauncher doesn't require particular installation procedure. Just copy the exe program and its icon where do you prefer, for example in a dir called TinyLauncher in Workbench.
When you launch Tinylauncher you have to setup the sysconfig tab and setting the main dir for whdload games (ex. DH1:Games), demos and/or music modules.
Then press F1 to update the list of games available and after some minutes you can back to games tab and see all your games listed.
geekmiki
Atarian
Atarian

Post by geekmiki »

I've been using the Minimig core for a while on MiST and now on MiSTer and I've noticed that some WHDLoad games won't load and crash on our FPGA setups. These games run flawlessly on original hardware and UAE.

Two examples here:
-Gods (WHDLoad 18.2.5735 - Installer version 2.3)
Crashes after intro screen, when loading game with:
Exception "Line 1111 Emulator" ($2C) at $9F3E0000 occured

-Fire&Ice (WHDLoad 18.2.5735 - Installer version 2.1)
Crashes while loading with:
Exception "Illegal Instruction" ($10) at $62064

Minimig config:
Turbo: Both
Video: PAL
Chipset: AGA
Chip: 2MB
Slow: none
Fast: 24MB
Kickstart: 3.1 rev 40.68

I have tried the usual Tool Types (NoMMU, NoCache, NoVBRMove, NoAutoVEC) with no luck.
Given that these games work on original hardware and UAE, it makes me think it could be core related. Anyone has experienced this and/or knows about these issues? Have they been reported? Are they known by the developers?
Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by Sorgelig »

There was no claim this core is perfect.
You are free to improve it.
uigiflip
Atari freak
Atari freak

Post by uigiflip »

will you be merging any of mike j good bits of his amiga core like rtg when released on github public?
Replay 2, Mister, FPGA Replay + 68060 Daughterboard
DanyPPC
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by DanyPPC »

geekmiki wrote: -Gods (WHDLoad 18.2.5735 - Installer version 2.3)
On MiST Minimig Core Beta 1.2.3 too.
-Fire&Ice (WHDLoad 18.2.5735 - Installer version 2.1)
Crashes while loading with:
Exception "Illegal Instruction" ($10) at $62064
Play CD32 WHDLoad version, it works !
Turbo: Both
Some ECS games require TURBO= none.
BBond007
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by BBond007 »

geekmiki wrote: -Gods (WHDLoad 18.2.5735 - Installer version 2.3)
I have an ADF version that works well, and unlike a lot of Amiga games at least GODS properly supports more than one floppy :cheers:

I like the DOS version better anyway - supports Roland MT-32
DanyPPC wrote: On MiST Minimig Core Beta 1.2.3 too.
Same here... I tried because recalled it working on my MiSTer. Guess not :? I should try it on my Minimig 1.1
Sorgelig wrote:There was no claim this core is perfect.
Not perfect, but more compatible with the entire Amiga software library than any single Amiga computer model Commodore ever produced. And I won't need to change the caps any time soon...
Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by Sorgelig »

uigiflip wrote:will you be merging any of mike j good bits of his amiga core like rtg when released on github public?
if at that age i will be still capable to write the code, then i will try :)
knc
Atariator
Atariator

Post by knc »

geekmiki wrote:
-Gods (WHDLoad 18.2.5735 - Installer version 2.3)
Gods work with mister and whdload but only if you have a 68000 setup not working with 68020 chipset
eris
Atariator
Atariator

Post by eris »

Almost got Mister to boot.

0) Ran memtest for 15 minutes just to make sure ram was working
1) I used the latest Dec 2018 release.
2) I put the Amiga Forever kickstart / workbench disks in the Amiga directory.
3) I put the rom.key in both the Amiga and root directory
4) I configured Mister for A600 2.05 kickstart and 2.1 38.35 workbench floppy images
5) I setup the chipset for 68000,ECS,1 MB fast ram, 24 MB normal ram
6) I enabled the A600 HD, but didn't enable an HD image

On reboot Minimig started with a dark grey screen, which became dark white and then bright white.

Then it froze.

Is the brightening screen fill pattern proof of kickstart loading? What does this mean?

I expected it to load the installer floppy image, but nothing.

Any ideas?

My next attempt will be to re-image the SD card from scratch. There could be some minor incompatibility or error in the SD image.
Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by Sorgelig »

Make sure kickstart is not encrypted. Amiga Forever may use encrypted one.
uigiflip
Atari freak
Atari freak

Post by uigiflip »

use grab kick within workbench to un encrypt a rom image
Replay 2, Mister, FPGA Replay + 68060 Daughterboard
fry
Atarian
Atarian

Post by fry »

I get a surprising number of "NODOS" (unreadable) ADF images coming from seemingly reliable sources. Is this to be expected with old Amiga dumps, or does the core have known problems with the format?
BBond007
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by BBond007 »

fry wrote:I get a surprising number of "NODOS" (unreadable) ADF images coming from seemingly reliable sources. Is this to be expected with old Amiga dumps, or does the core have known problems with the format?
No, MOST game AFS (just like Amiga game floppies) have custom a bootblock which knows how to read whatever proprietary format the the programmer of the day decided to use. You need boot off these. Workbench will report "NDOS". Game developers (back in the day) were trying to compress as much stuff as possible on the disk while obfuscating disk copying. DRM 1.0 :)

If you have an increasing number of ADFs that won't boot then you probably have a bootblock virus - I'm not kidding, my Minimig 1.1 ended up getting "Happy new year 1996" Virus from Aminet files.

BTW who are these "reliable sources"?
Lodovic
Atari User
Atari User

Post by Lodovic »

Sorgelig wrote:As i've answered in FB, this info is not really correct. Probably it's more related to SD card controller than IDE.
with CHS, the max heads is 16, max sectors per track is 255, max cylinders is 65536
Max addressed size with CHS: 16*255*65536*512=136902082560 bytes ~130GB

As a golden rule - always leave the space at the end of HDD as unpartitioned. Windows usually keeps 8MB at the end unpartitioned. Amiga probably doesn't care, so you have to take care when you partition a new drive either it's real HDD or image.

The max HDD size in latest minimig fully depends on Amiga software as hardware allows to use the whole CHS range. I suggest to use IDEFix'97. It adds many workarounds for large drives and doesn't require additional scsi.device patches. And it adds support for 4x IDE.
Actually 130GB support is not really required. Somewhere around 32GB should be enough for whole Amiga games/demos collection (WHDLoad). And 4x drives can be connected.
I've read the entire thread about the Minimig core because I wanted to create a second hdf (I already have one hdf to boot with WB3.1) and put the WHDload games there. One unanswered question remains: Are we limited to a maximum capacity of 4GB because of the FAT32 file system where MiSTer is installed?

I used the PrepareSDCard utility as instructed in the wiki. Ideally a 16GB hdf with both the booting system and the WHDload files would be great for me.

And what about the second SD card on the IO board? Can it be used instead to have a greater capacity?
Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by Sorgelig »

Where you see FAT32?
fry
Atarian
Atarian

Post by fry »

BBond007 wrote:
fry wrote:I get a surprising number of "NODOS" (unreadable) ADF images coming from seemingly reliable sources. Is this to be expected with old Amiga dumps, or does the core have known problems with the format?
No, MOST game AFS (just like Amiga game floppies) have custom a bootblock which knows how to read whatever proprietary format the the programmer of the day decided to use. You need boot off these. Workbench will report "NDOS". Game developers (back in the day) were trying to compress as much stuff as possible on the disk while obfuscating disk copying. DRM 1.0 :)
Yes, that was it. They're bootable, just not readable in WB or HDD installable.

Derp, thanks. That should have occurred to me.

Return to “MiSTer”