Arcade cores

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

sajattack
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Re: Arcade cores

Post by sajattack »

Can you just grey-out/disable the 31khz option when the rotation is enabled?
PsyFX
Atari freak
Atari freak

Post by PsyFX »

sajattack wrote:Tapper looks significantly worse in the 15khz video mode due to interlacing. Zoom in your browser to get a more accurate picture.

It's more visible in a video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnvp0NBJ2Hs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hTcBn3Rufg
Seeing the same thing though HDMI (1080p)
The first official release "MCR3_20200123.rbf" had a de-interlace option (can we have this back please?)
Which made the sprites for Tapper & Timber look fantastic, as shown in the 2nd video
instead of the current blocky mess with builds (20200128, 20200129), 1st video
HeyPablo
Atarian
Atarian

Post by HeyPablo »

Hi guys. Cannot get Arcade cores working under new MRA structure after hours of tinkering. Need to ask for some help. I'm set up as follows:

/_Arcade/*.mra
/_Arcade/cores/*rbf
/_Arcade/mame/*.zip
/_Arcade/hbmame/*.zip

I used RetroDriven to build my rom set in "mame" folder, but launching the MRA it always tells me I am missing a file from the ROM zip (for any core that I try). For example, Ghouls n Ghost leads to a black screen with "gg12.bin file not found". Its almost as if /_Arcade/mame/ is not being referenced correctly, as the same error is returned if I remove all ROMs from the mame folder. However, the ROMs are most definitely there. Is there any .ini file I can use to force the lookup into /_Arcade/mame/? I understood this was hardcoded in the new MRA world. Thanks for any feedback.
warham
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Post by warham »

HeyPablo wrote:Hi guys. Cannot get Arcade cores working under new MRA structure after hours of tinkering. Need to ask for some help. I'm set up as follows:

/_Arcade/*.mra
/_Arcade/cores/*rbf
/_Arcade/mame/*.zip
/_Arcade/hbmame/*.zip

I used RetroDriven to build my rom set in "mame" folder, but launching the MRA it always tells me I am missing a file from the ROM zip (for any core that I try). For example, Ghouls n Ghost leads to a black screen with "gg12.bin file not found". Its almost as if /_Arcade/mame/ is not being referenced correctly, as the same error is returned if I remove all ROMs from the mame folder. However, the ROMs are most definitely there. Is there any .ini file I can use to force the lookup into /_Arcade/mame/? I understood this was hardcoded in the new MRA world. Thanks for any feedback.
Last edited by warham on Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peredonov

Post by Peredonov »

warham wrote:/_Arcade/*.mra
/_Arcade/cores/*rbf
/_Arcade/mame/*.zip
/_Arcade/hbmame/*.zip
This is the correct folder structure, unless you've changed directories in ini files.

Depending on how or where you got them, the MAME roms you're using may not be the correct ones. You could try using the Retrodriven script, setting the appropriate ini settings to true.
jca

Post by jca »

HeyPablo wrote:Hi guys. Cannot get Arcade cores working under new MRA structure after hours of tinkering. Need to ask for some help. ...
Is your MISTer up to date?
HeyPablo
Atarian
Atarian

Post by HeyPablo »

Peredonov wrote:
/_Arcade/cores/*rbf
/_Arcade/mame/*.zip
/_Arcade/hbmame/*.zip
This is the correct folder structure, unless you've changed directories in ini files.

Depending on how or where you got them, the MAME roms you're using may not be the correct ones. You could try using the Retrodriven script, setting the appropriate ini settings to true.
Yep, ROM zips were downloaded using RetroDriven.
HeyPablo
Atarian
Atarian

Post by HeyPablo »

jca wrote:
HeyPablo wrote:Hi guys. Cannot get Arcade cores working under new MRA structure after hours of tinkering. Need to ask for some help. ...
Is your MISTer up to date?
Yep, newly updated via update.sh
HeyPablo
Atarian
Atarian

Post by HeyPablo »

Peredonov wrote:
/_Arcade/cores/*rbf
/_Arcade/mame/*.zip
/_Arcade/hbmame/*.zip

If there was a problem with directories in ini files, that would make sense in terms if the errors I’m seeing. But which ini file can alter the established MRA folder structure? (I deleted the RetroDriven ini in case this had an impact). Thanks
drj3rk
Atari freak
Atari freak

Post by drj3rk »

I was actually having this same "black screen" issue with my arcade games. I tried with the RBFs in _Arcade (which is where the update script actually put them) and in _Arcade/cores where everyone else said to put them. Still a black screen. This was actually the first time I've tried the Arcade cores since setting up my MiSTer months ago. I decided to move all my core/rom folders off the SD card, and rebuild it from the ground up.

I'm wondering if it's something with just a stale setting somewhere that I'm not finding, so I think a rebuild of the whole card is in order.

I'm guessing this will solve the problem. I can post the results after I finish up the setup and copying tonight.
HeyPablo
Atarian
Atarian

Post by HeyPablo »

HeyPablo wrote:Hi guys. Cannot get Arcade cores working under new MRA structure after hours of tinkering. Need to ask for some help. I'm set up as follows:

/_Arcade/*.mra
/_Arcade/cores/*rbf
/_Arcade/mame/*.zip
/_Arcade/hbmame/*.zip

Fixed it! Updated zip file path to games/mame and games/hbmame and re-ran RetroDriven with updated paths. Not sure why it didn't like the _Arcade paths, but it works now.
drj3rk
Atari freak
Atari freak

Post by drj3rk »

HeyPablo wrote:

/_Arcade/*.mra
/_Arcade/cores/*rbf
/_Arcade/mame/*.zip
/_Arcade/hbmame/*.zip

Fixed it! Updated zip file path to games/mame and games/hbmame and re-ran RetroDriven with updated paths. Not sure why it didn't like the _Arcade paths, but it works now.
I'm about to leave work, so all your previous posts aren't on the top of my brain. Are you using a USB drive? I started that way, but then moved all the ROMs to the SD Card when that didn't work. However, I think on the USB drive the "games" folder is needed. I probably didn't have mine in the right place either. I'll try that before I wipe my card. This just occurred to me when I saw your post.

:cheers:

Edit: I got mine working too. I didn't need to move the roms to the /games folder, but I did end up rebuilding the SD card from the ground up. I added the update.ini with the MAME ROM setting, but it didn't end up pulling down the MRA files. I ran out of time for the night, so I just used the RetroDriven scripts, and that did the trick for now.

One thing to note. I'm using MAME .217 Split, but the roms are not in zips. Just in folders. I'm not sure if that's a problem. It could be. I've only seen ZIP files referred to in the forum, and other locations. I may end up grabbing a zipped version for future use. (mainly I'm not sure if ZIP files are treated as folders or as archive files where MAME ROMs are concerned on MiSTer)
Peredonov

Post by Peredonov »

PsyFX wrote:
sajattack wrote:Tapper looks significantly worse in the 15khz video mode due to interlacing. Zoom in your browser to get a more accurate picture.

It's more visible in a video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnvp0NBJ2Hs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hTcBn3Rufg
Seeing the same thing though HDMI (1080p)
The first official release "MCR3_20200123.rbf" had a de-interlace option (can we have this back please?)
Which made the sprites for Tapper & Timber look fantastic, as shown in the 2nd video
instead of the current blocky mess with builds (20200128, 20200129), 1st video
Checking Tapper on the current build, 15khz mode indeed looks bad as shown in the first picture. The sprites used to look great before. Via HDMI the sprites do look nice with deinterlace on.

Also Rampage, which uses a similar technique for interlaced sprites, does not load anymore, gives an md5 mismatch on rom 0 error, though it was working before.
Heppaz
Retro freak
Retro freak

Post by Heppaz »

Ok in the Retrodriven script for some reason something changes in an update to move the working directories from '_Arcade' to 'Games'.
A simple fix is to copy the mame and hbmame folders from /fat/_Arcade to /fat/Games and it cured the problem.
I would leave them in both locations in case a newer update repairs the paths.
bazza12
Atariator
Atariator

Post by bazza12 »

hmm after update.. MD5 mismatch errors on MaxRPM, Power Drive, Rampage and Sarge.. (MCR3Mono)
loaded fine before update
Peredonov

Post by Peredonov »

bazza12 wrote:hmm after update.. MD5 mismatch errors on MaxRPM, Power Drive, Rampage and Sarge.. (MCR3Mono)
loaded fine before update
Yes, they have these errors now when using MAME zips fetched by the Retrodriven script, which were working before. Does anyone know what version of MAME zip files Sorgelig is using for testing, and which version Retrodriven script fetches?
hyperterminal
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by hyperterminal »

The problem is that the md5 checksum in the mra file is incorrect. I have sent a pull request that fixes this.
brunosilva

Post by brunosilva »

it looks like md5 is now mandatory... before the last update you could have a no/blank md5 value
Peredonov

Post by Peredonov »

After last update Tapper works fine, so do its clones, and sprites look correct again on 15khz as well as HDMI :)

MCR3Mono md5 errors have been fixed too. Thanks!
PsyFX
Atari freak
Atari freak

Post by PsyFX »

Peredonov wrote:After last update Tapper works fine, so do its clones, and sprites look correct again on 15khz as well as HDMI :)

MCR3Mono md5 errors have been fixed too. Thanks!
The latest update to the (tapper timber, journey, dot) multi core is "Arcade-MCR3_20200129" 6 days ago
The latest Beta, Tapper/Timber core "Arcade-Tapper_20200123" 8 days ago

Which version are you using?
Peredonov

Post by Peredonov »

PsyFX wrote: The latest update to the (tapper timber, journey, dot) multi core is "Arcade-MCR3_20200129" 6 days ago
The latest Beta, Tapper/Timber core "Arcade-Tapper_20200123" 8 days ago

Which version are you using?
The changes were not for the cores but for the MRAs:
Max RPM.mra fixed Max RPM 22 hours ago
Power Drive.mra fixed Power Drive 22 hours ago
Rampage.mra fixed Rampage 22 hours ago
Sarge.mra fixed Sarge 22 hours ago
Just update through the updater script and you'll be good. For Tapper I'm not sure what changed.
insanewayne253
Retro freak
Retro freak

Post by insanewayne253 »

Really digging the changes to the arcade cores.

Just noticed Lost Tomb. Great game by Stern, only thing is it’s a twin stick game with a couple of buttons for whip and bomb. The core is set as a single fire button at the moment.
BitsNStuff

Post by BitsNStuff »

insanewayne253 wrote:Really digging the changes to the arcade cores.
Absolutely. I've always enjoyed the games in the arcade category but I think the MRA system has really made that are shine, as end user it just seems like a much better way of doing things and it seems to make things better for the developers too so it really does seem to be a net positive all round.
Such great work being done by so many people!! 8)
Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by Sorgelig »

insanewayne253 wrote:Really digging the changes to the arcade cores.

Just noticed Lost Tomb. Great game by Stern, only thing is it’s a twin stick game with a couple of buttons for whip and bomb. The core is set as a single fire button at the moment.
I will re-check this game. I think i have an idea how to fix it.
BitsNStuff

Post by BitsNStuff »

I've been editing the Arcade Wiki over the past day or so, I so hope that I'm not trampling on anybody's feet by doing that.

Nothing major just trying to ensure that the correct names are showing and to also ensure that all the additional games that are available to play on each core are listed where they should be. I won't be adding brand new entries as I think that's best done by the people who make the cores when they feel that it's best to add them, I'm essentially just tidying things up for people who use the wiki.

Hopefully the correct naming will make it's way over to the MRA files at some point down the line.

I've added a few international names where the arcade game changed name in different countries, I'm not sure if that's good or bad though. If anybody spots any errors, just let me know. I think I've gone blind after staring at the wiki!! :wink:

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_Mi ... Cores-List

Return to “MiSTer”