Retro freak
Retro freak

Re: Arcade cores

Post by danytyler »

Kung Fu Master
vanfanel
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Re: What arcade boards would you most want to see in MiSTer?

Post by vanfanel »

redsteakraw wrote:
vanfanel wrote:Dragons Lair and Space Ace!
The problem with Dragons Lair and Space Ace is that they were heavily dependent on Laser Disc many of which are starting to have disk rot. Laser Disks were also an analog video format so the question would be how do you encode that to even make a proper rom? There was a Daphne project DVD release you can work off of but then you would need an MPEG 2 chip for decoding or use the Linux Arm chip. When you are using the Linux part then why not just play the game on a PS4? https://www.playstation.com/en-us/games ... ilogy-ps4/

Also if you want to find a bunch of Dragon's lair and Space Ace fans check out the Daphne project forums
https://www.daphne-emu.com:9443/phpBB3/index.php
Well, I know how they work, but there is a freely available MPEG2 decoder here:
https://opencores.org/projects/mpeg2fpga
BonzoBits
Retro freak
Retro freak

Post by BonzoBits »

I'm trying to troubleshoot problem with Donkey Kong. When I load the core I just get a black screen. Hitting F12 and then pressing right, up, up, up and enter (reboot in the menu) doesn't do anything. The LED next to the network port doesn't light up either. Does this indicate that the core didn't launch properly? I'm thinking this is the case. If it was a display compatibility issue I should be able to reboot to main menu, right?
redsteakraw
Atari freak
Atari freak

Post by redsteakraw »

vanfanel wrote:
redsteakraw wrote:
vanfanel wrote:Dragons Lair and Space Ace!
The problem with Dragons Lair and Space Ace is that they were heavily dependent on Laser Disc many of which are starting to have disk rot. Laser Disks were also an analog video format so the question would be how do you encode that to even make a proper rom? There was a Daphne project DVD release you can work off of but then you would need an MPEG 2 chip for decoding or use the Linux Arm chip. When you are using the Linux part then why not just play the game on a PS4? https://www.playstation.com/en-us/games ... ilogy-ps4/

Also if you want to find a bunch of Dragon's lair and Space Ace fans check out the Daphne project forums
https://www.daphne-emu.com:9443/phpBB3/index.php
Well, I know how they work, but there is a freely available MPEG2 decoder here:
https://opencores.org/projects/mpeg2fpga
Actually I found out some information there are ROMS for it but that is mostly the programs that control it . The Game has been preserved but the raw file by the Doomsday duplicator / LD Decode is 500gb. That would give you the raw composite signal for the video. Then you would have to break that out to RGB and either push it to the HDMI scaler or to the IO board rgb out. I would highly suggest you look into the Doomsday duplicator project and other LaserDisk preservation projects it is interesting what they are doing.

https://www.domesday86.com/?page_id=978
https://www.domesday86.com/?p=2670
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klK4UZ5nlqs
OneEightZero
Atarian
Atarian

Re: I/O Board

Post by OneEightZero »

I'm having difficulty getting a lot of the Arcade cores to display out correctly through the IO board. I'm using a 15 inch Dell CRT monitor with the VGA connector with the scandoubler enabled. When the VGA scaler is enabled, a majority of the cores work fine. When the VGA scaler is disabled, very few arcade cores work (Food Fight, Black Tiger, a couple others do work, but these are exceptions); I get rolling video that doesn't display, like it's still playing at 15khz and not scandoubling.

Why is this an issue? Glad you asked. The VGA scaler introduces a noticeable lag. I adore how little latency the gaming with the MiSTer is above all. And I want to avoid it. These cores seemed to function correctly at 31khz without the VGA scaler enabled at one point and then something changed.

This is something that very much seems to be tied to the Arcade cores. I'm not having this issue with the Console and Computer cores. This makes me wonder if there is something misconfigured on my MiSTer. Any suggestions/ideas to get Arcade core video displaying correctly at 31khz without the scaler?
Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by Sorgelig »

OneEightZero wrote:I'm having difficulty getting a lot of the Arcade cores to display out correctly through the IO board. I'm using a 15 inch Dell CRT monitor with the VGA connector with the scandoubler enabled. When the VGA scaler is enabled, a majority of the cores work fine. When the VGA scaler is disabled, very few arcade cores work (Food Fight, Black Tiger, a couple others do work, but these are exceptions); I get rolling video that doesn't display, like it's still playing at 15khz and not scandoubling.

Why is this an issue? Glad you asked. The VGA scaler introduces a noticeable lag. I adore how little latency the gaming with the MiSTer is above all. And I want to avoid it. These cores seemed to function correctly at 31khz without the VGA scaler enabled at one point and then something changed.

This is something that very much seems to be tied to the Arcade cores. I'm not having this issue with the Console and Computer cores. This makes me wonder if there is something misconfigured on my MiSTer. Any suggestions/ideas to get Arcade core video displaying correctly at 31khz without the scaler?
You just need to understand that Arcades originally used TV monitors, not VGA. While adopting to VGA you always have to sacrifice something. Or find the monitor which will display any resolution.. You can't take any random VGA monitor and expect to see any core on it natively.
OneEightZero
Atarian
Atarian

Post by OneEightZero »

Sorgelig wrote:
OneEightZero wrote:I'm having difficulty getting a lot of the Arcade cores to display out correctly through the IO board. I'm using a 15 inch Dell CRT monitor with the VGA connector with the scandoubler enabled. When the VGA scaler is enabled, a majority of the cores work fine. When the VGA scaler is disabled, very few arcade cores work (Food Fight, Black Tiger, a couple others do work, but these are exceptions); I get rolling video that doesn't display, like it's still playing at 15khz and not scandoubling.

You just need to understand that Arcades originally used TV monitors, not VGA. While adopting to VGA you always have to sacrifice something. Or find the monitor which will display any resolution.. You can't take any random VGA monitor and expect to see any core on it natively.
I do understand that arcade games originally used TV monitors, hence the 15khz v. 31khz. All I can say is that cores that normally display at 15khz and take the scandoubler option into account works. I'm not certain if having the cores take the scandoubler option in the MiSTer.ini is a difficult thing to do; I'm more bringing attention to it being an issue and hoping those that maintain these cores can make 31khz a priority in the future if it's not something so trying to achieve.
Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by Sorgelig »

Besides 31KHz of HSync, VGA also needs at least 60Hz on VSync. If core is NTSC, then you are lucky. If PAL, then most VGA monitors won't be able to display it even with 31KHz from scandoubler.
mrbig6251
Atariator
Atariator

Post by mrbig6251 »

Hi, I wanna thanks you sorgelig about all the works you've done and you're doing but about the arcade monitor you're wrong, it's not TV it's professional monitor some are 15k only then you've 15k/24k and finally 15k/24k/31k and they're more versatile with resolutions because it can be fixed with potentiometer h/hold v/hold, have a great day all and take care of you and your family on these time

Mr BIG
Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by Sorgelig »

mrbig6251 wrote:Hi, I wanna thanks you sorgelig about all the works you've done and you're doing but about the arcade monitor you're wrong, it's not TV it's professional monitor some are 15k only then you've 15k/24k and finally 15k/24k/31k and they're more versatile with resolutions because it can be fixed with potentiometer h/hold v/hold, have a great day all and take care of you and your family on these time

Mr BIG
Didn't i talk about Arcade monitors? No. I was talking about generic VGA monitors. Same as poster to who i answered.
About Arcade monitors: while some of them can be universal, others may support only narrow range of hsync/vsync.
mrbig6251
Atariator
Atariator

Post by mrbig6251 »

Sorry if I misunderstood but it's because of the term TV monitor which means TV for me, for me it's arcade monitor for arcade cabinet
Mr BIG
Zeosstud
Atariator
Atariator

Post by Zeosstud »

Please add Inviso and Reverse buttons to Stargate..
Please add Reverse button to Defender..
Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by Sorgelig »

Zeosstud wrote:Please add Inviso and Reverse buttons to Stargate..
Please add Reverse button to Defender..
Both Stargate and Defender have 2 control modes. Default control mode is when both right and left directions are mapped to reverse button (doesn't matter which left or right you press), so it's already implemented.
I don't know what Inviso button is. don't remember such.
dazzer69
Retro freak
Retro freak

Post by dazzer69 »

AE9E3C74-4C69-476E-B7C9-F7AF6FE87B8D.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dazzer69
Retro freak
Retro freak

Post by dazzer69 »

It gives the players ship limited invulnerability.
Zeosstud
Atariator
Atariator

Post by Zeosstud »

As you can see in the picture above.. when trying to play these ARCADE cores, with actual arcade controls, you do not want left and right to be reverse, you want the reverse button to do it, just like in the arcade. Hopefully the 2 modes take that into consideration. You would for sure want one mode to work as you said, if your playing with a gamepad.. but for those people trying to play the ARCADE cores, with arcade controls, how about the other mode ignores left and right and we map the buttons in the setup..

Thanks..
LamerDeluxe

Post by LamerDeluxe »

Zeosstud wrote:As you can see in the picture above.. when trying to play these ARCADE cores, with actual arcade controls, you do not want left and right to be reverse, you want the reverse button to do it, just like in the arcade. Hopefully the 2 modes take that into consideration. You would for sure want one mode to work as you said, if your playing with a gamepad.. but for those people trying to play the ARCADE cores, with arcade controls, how about the other mode ignores left and right and we map the buttons in the setup..

Thanks..
Just map the reverse button to either left or right, skip the other direction. I just tried it and it works fine.
Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by Sorgelig »

Really, as LamerDeluxe said, just assign your reverse button to either left or right and skip the other one.
Just wonder how you going to use other cores in this cabinet if you have no left/right.
djsquare
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Post by djsquare »

I noticed the strange controls on Stargate too. Pressing left and right shouldn't turn my ship left or right. I haven't checked out Defender yet
Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by Sorgelig »

djsquare wrote:I noticed the strange controls on Stargate too. Pressing left and right shouldn't turn my ship left or right. I haven't checked out Defender yet
it's not strange, it's supposed to be this way.

Or you can assign the key this way (write for those who don't like to think):
right: button for reverse
left: <skip>
up: up
down: down
rest buttons as you like.
LamerDeluxe

Post by LamerDeluxe »

Like Sorgelig said, multiple arcade games are based on the same core. If you'd remove the left and right controller inputs and replaced them by a reverse button, the other cores wouldn't have left and right inputs anymore.
Zeosstud
Atariator
Atariator

Post by Zeosstud »

I do not know what version of Stargate you guys are playing but on mine, the option to skip does not exist..
When I load Stargate, and goto define keys my options are

Menu-Hold > Cancel
Enter > Finish

and none of this addresses the fact that there is no "inviso" button, which if you ever played Stargate, is pretty important

In the overall scheme of life, for me personally it doesnt matter, as I have a JROK MultiWilliams board, but just in general, for the Mister project
it should be on someone list, really all I am saying..
Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by Sorgelig »

I will check inviso button. How it's used? Can i press it any time? Is there something happening on screen?
Are you sure it's standard button, not like bootleg or modded version?

You don't have skip probably because your control simulates the keyboard, not joystick. Keyboard is supposed to have many keys, so skip is not required. I will see how i can implement the skip for keyboard.
Chris23235
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by Chris23235 »

Inviso is a regular feature in Stargate, it makes your ship invisible and invincible as long as the button is pressed. The red bar above the score is the inviso energy bar, it fills slowly while your score increases.
You can see the use of the inviso function in this video at 00:05:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... e=emb_logo
denhamflyer
Atarian
Atarian

Post by denhamflyer »

redsteakraw wrote:What arcade boards would you most want to see in MiSTer? Tell your top three, this is just for gauging community interest. DO NOT demand or harass any devs to work on any boards this is a hobby project and you don't dictate others hobbies. Personally my top three are

1). Cadillacs and Dinosaurs (Capcom CPS 1.5 QSound)
2). Area 51 (Atari CoJag)
3). X-Men arcade (Konami X-Men based board)
I'd like to see:
Space Invaders (although I did see an old Mister version on another WiKi page)
Track and Field
Mr Do!
Crystal Castles
Q Bert
Virtua Fighter - although I've heard the Sega Model 1 hardware is tricky to replicate!
Daytona USA - Sega Model 2 hardware, probably beyond the available logic on the Cyclone V SoC FPGA

Cheers,
Colin

Return to “MiSTer”